LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
well, cripes, wwyd re mother's day cookie

My four year old has been talking about the mother's day picnic for days, so excited about it. It's on tuesday. Now he tells me that the kids are each decorating a cookie for their mom, with frosting. My first thought was to have hubby eat it, if he comes to the picnic, which I think would be fine with Aug1e, but dh is gluten free (as am I). Gah! Little guy is so excited about the whole thing and can't wait for me to see the cookie.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Take the cookie, gush over how well he decorated it, and tell him you're saving it for later because you aren't hungry for sweets right now.

He'll be happy when you love how well he decorated it, not when you eat it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Exactly!! Save that thing!! You dont want to eat up his masterpiece.... it needs to be PRESERVED for all time!

You could also let your son just eat it eventually. Have him "help mommy eat it"

Last edited by Strawberry; 05-03-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Yup. Tell him it's beautiful but he has to help eat it. Take a bite, max, and let him have the rest. You can even freeze it and parcel it out to him over the next week or so. My kids would almost always rather eat the stuff they prepare for me than have me eat it - what they're after is the praise
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
This seems to me to be a 'teachable moment' for his school. Most schools are very conscious of the students' possible food allergies and/or sensitivities, and you might take this opportunity to point out that they should have a similar awareness of food issues where parents are concerned.

Many people these days avoid gluten and grains or cannot eat sugar for a variety of reasons. Having the children make frosted cookies for their parents seems thoughtless on the part of the school.

There are all sorts of things that children can make for a "Mother's Day" gift, and I remember after my mother died that we found she'd saved those things we'd made at school as small children--cards, cardboard picture frames with our school pictures inside, beaded bracelets, etc.

The disadvantage of the cookies is that the mother doesn't have a something to save and treasure that her child made for her.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: puttchikins
no just eat it or share it Make your son happy
puttchikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
It's one cookie, take a bite and make your kid happy. I assume you've had off plan days on Atkins? This one cookie won't be the end of your diet, and it's nothing to stress over too much especially on Mother's Day! Eat clean the rest of the day and it will just be a tiny insignificant blip in your diet.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-04-2013 at 06:59 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I would tell him that you want to enjoy seeing it for a while and take it home to make you happy all day long. If he looks disappointed take a bite and save the rest and tell him that you don't have the heart to destroy it all at once,that this way it makes you happy all day long, that it becomes a wonder cookie. If you cannot avoid eating it at the picnic have some allowed food handy in case you get the munchies.Enjoy !
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Hello, this is your childs feelings..what is a few bites gonna hurt compared to hurting your childs feelings right? Eat a few bites and move on. Life goes on and you will feel better. Trust me...children do not forget. My son still remembers a few weeks ago when he got sent to time out. lol!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sounds a good idea to share the cookie, giving your child the biggest half.
Or take a bite and save the rest, as others have said.
I received a big bar of dark chocolate with almonds as a thank you yesterday. That's not as tricky as a specially made cookie, but there is an emotional tug. The choco bar will regifted to someone else, though, and the giver will receive thanks from me. Thank you for the thank you, so to speak. It is so nice to be acknowledged, though, that is the real gift, not the cookie or the bar of chocolate.
I left the bar at my office so as not to be tempted this weekend.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
Take lots of pics of your DS and the cookie, show him that you've posted it on your FB page (if you're going to do that), tell him it's too pretty to eat, have a token bite and let him dig in!!!
Rachelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
It wouldn't be such a big deal, but she said she's GF!! I couldn't eat the cookie either. I'm sure he will love eating the cookie for you after you gush over it for a while
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
Varnish it, glue a magnet on the back, and stick it on the fridge.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Can you varnish a cookie? lol That would be awesome! I'm gonna have to play it by eat, gush over how beautiful it is and the see if he's even still paying attn when it's time to eat it. If it were later in the day, I'd feel better about eating it, but once I go off plan, especially if its something sweet and wheat, I have a very hard time getting through the rest of the day. But ITA it would not be worth any hurt feelings to avoid the cookie.

Leo, I was really surprised they'd do this. I was almost thinking maybe it wasn't a real cookie but like a clay one or something. But he's pretty excited about the frosting so I think it's probably a real one. I know they'realso making cards and I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else, too. I have all my 9 year old's gifts and cards on display in my sewing room and I adore them.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
There is no reason you can't tell him you are going to save it until after you eat: that treats should be enjoyed after a good meal and you want to take pictures so other people can see how amazing it is and.... That will help deflect the attention as well as give you an opportunity to get well satiated with fat and protein before you add a sugar-rush, should he not get too distracted.

But I do like the idea of preserving it. I bet it could be done somehow. I love those little momentos.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #16

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
It wouldn't hurt to start talking about your WOE, and why you have to eat the way you do. He's old enough to understand it, if given to him a bit at a time. Too late for him to understand it completely before the cookie gift, but by the time next one rolls around...

I'm also in the camp of not eating it. If you were allergic to peanuts, would you eat the PB & J sandwich he made for you?

I see that you are Type I, has he seen you take your shots, and does he know why you have to take them? He should, for your safety.

What would he do if you would go into insulin shock? Would he know who to call, or where your glucose kit is?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Take the cookie, gush over how well he decorated it, and tell him you're saving it for later because you aren't hungry for sweets right now.

He'll be happy when you love how well he decorated it, not when you eat it.
This is a good idea.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOhNine View Post
Varnish it, glue a magnet on the back, and stick it on the fridge.
Yep, right on. Posted on the fridge for all to see!
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I'm gonna have to play it by eat,
Freudian slip?
He will probably be very proud of his artwork, much more so than you eating it
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Yep, right on. Posted on the fridge for all to see!
Make a big deal out of the thought that was put into it and the artwork. You might not really be able to save it but you can take a picture to add to your album.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
It wouldn't hurt to start talking about your WOE, and why you have to eat the way you do. He's old enough to understand it, if given to him a bit at a time. Too late for him to understand it completely before the cookie gift, but by the time next one rolls around...

I'm also in the camp of not eating it. If you were allergic to peanuts, would you eat the PB & J sandwich he made for you?

I see that you are Type I, has he seen you take your shots, and does he know why you have to take them? He should, for your safety.

What would he do if you would go into insulin shock? Would he know who to call, or where your glucose kit is?
Excellent points, I agree completely.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Can you varnish a cookie? lol That would be awesome! ...
Yes indeed. Search eHow for "How to Seal Food for Display."
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post

OMG, you don't know the half of it! Gah! Children of type I's start pretending to shoot themselves up by the time they're two. lol And they think there's nothing more fun than to find mommy's syringe and run off with it. I have never tried to hide anything about it from them, but I cannot say that they know the ins and outs of it. I would like for it just to be a normal everyday thing that they don't bat an eye at and that they're not scared of, but know is serious and important. So far, I think that's what they're feeling about it for the most part. They do have about a 3% chance of getting it themselves, which doesn't sound like a whole lot, but enough that I do think it's really important how I model for them and how they feel about it. My own mother, oddly enough, instilled a particular fear of type I diabetes in me long before I was dx'd with it, and nobody in our family ever had it. She just happened to have this crazy irrational fear of it. Can I tell you this was not helpful!!!

Augie knows what my skittles are for and that he's *never* allowed to eat them. (I have other treats for him and he is allowed to eat candy, but I feel like if the kids are eating my skittles, they're never gonna be there when I need them, yk?) I have never talked to him about calling 911 (though he does know about 911 from school, I doubt that he'd think to do it for me in that situation), but I think the likelihood of him needing to do that is nearly zero. I have never needed any sort of official assistance with a low and I don't have hypoglycemic unawareness (which is what causes people to pass out before they are able to take care of themselves). I am also very much on top of testing (I normally test between 8 and 12 times a day).

My nine-year-old did get really scared by a low I had once (maybe 2 years ago). I was slurring my words a bit and, I think, not making sense, like almost talking gibberish. And my husband was here and I yelled for him to get me something to treat it with. But it was really scary for Mil0. I think it had never occurred to him that one of his parents could be in trouble, yk? It was about the saddest thing ever. Ugh. But a few days later I did have a big talk with him about what it was and that even though it's scary the likelihood of anything bad was very low... how to call 911, what to do for me, etc.

But the truth of the matter is, I don't know if I even feel comfortable that I had that convo with my nine year old, and I definitely don't want to have it with my four year old. If something bad were to happen, it would be the worst thing in the world for one of them to feel responsible for it. I think I need to just really truly make sure that they are never in the position to have that sort of responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Freudian slip?
I know! I noticed that, too. But it was my phone's Freudian slip, but I guess my phone is really just an extension of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOhNine View Post
Yes indeed. Search eHow for "How to Seal Food for Display."
I am absolutely gonna check into this!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Quote:
I don't know if I even feel comfortable that I had that convo with my nine year old, and I definitely don't want to have it with my four year old. If something bad were to happen, it would be the worst thing in the world for one of them to feel responsible for it.
Then don't make it about you. Make it about general "emergency management". The reason schools have fire drills is because they work at making people safer in the event of an emergency. You have a particular need that increases the likelihood one of your children will have to call 911 for you, but that doesn't mean they need to be "trained" that way.

Or, rather, what to do for Mom could be just a small piece of that. But so could "Augie fell off his bike and isn't moving", "the smoke alarms go off in the house", and other situations of that nature. There are cases of four-year-olds calling 911 and saving a parent's life.

This is my personal opinion (and worth everything you paid for it , but I think, long-term, your children would rather know what to do, with the slight increase in responsibility that entails, than to have to live with knowing they might have been able to do something about it on the off chance something bad does happen.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I was worried about nothin' of course. I can't believe I made it through with no off plan eating whatsoever. I just had my starbucks w hwc. His cookie had a huge pile of frosting, about a dozen gummy bears (cookie was probably only about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, lol) and enough jimmies for a dozen dishes of ice cream. Mine, just a little frosting and four gummy bears. I told him I was bringing it home to show daddy before I ate it and daddy backed up my story in the evening. lol

All the moms were teary eyed by the end. If they could only stay four forever! It's too sweet!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
My advice was going to be varnish it also, hahahahahaha. To funny. But seriously, all I would have to say is, that has sugar honey. My daughter is 5 1/2 and has never had sugar and knows what that means.

She has two fat parents and I don't want her to have to go through that. The fact that in sugar is offered up as a huge treat of some sort in any way in school makes me sad, very sad. If this is what they will have my child bringing home for me, then what will they be giving her?

Sorry to go off left, just concerned.

Mindy
Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Glad it worked out for you and Augie.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Ntombi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
My advice was going to be varnish it also, hahahahahaha. To funny. But seriously, all I would have to say is, that has sugar honey. My daughter is 5 1/2 and has never had sugar and knows what that means.

She has two fat parents and I don't want her to have to go through that. The fact that in sugar is offered up as a huge treat of some sort in any way in school makes me sad, very sad. If this is what they will have my child bringing home for me, then what will they be giving her?

Sorry to go off left, just concerned.

Mindy
Actually the school isn't so bad about food. They supply a snack every day and it's almost always a fruit or veg and some kind of cracker. I would rather they don't eat tons of crackers, but they actually give them a really small serving, like 2 saltines. I would rather send my own snacks, but it's not terrible.

I gotta say, though, that I don't know what is up with this childhood obesity epidemic. At Aug1e's school, there are five classes, so in the neighborhood of 120 kids. And there're only two that could even be called chubby, barely. And one of them is built exactly like his father who he has never lived with, so I don't think it's about eating habits, I think it's just the way he's built. He looks healthy, just a big kid. So, I wonder if, at this particular school, they aren't feeling the same pressures the rest of the world seems to be feeling.