Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Anyone who doesn't believe "sugar addiction" is real... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/803298-anyone-who-doesnt-believe-sugar-addiction-real.html)

cmd1974 05-02-2013 11:53 AM

Anyone who doesn't believe "sugar addiction" is real...

...should try eliminating it from their diet and see how they feel on days 3 and 4. :sick:

UGH!!!! I have had a splitting headache for 2 days and today I'm so nauseous I can barely function. If I didn't have a deadline I would have left work early today and gone home and crawled right into bed.

I have to power through this! Envisioning the scale going down.

Ntombi 05-02-2013 12:05 PM

Good luck! You'll make it through.

Try to remember how badly you feel right now when you're tempted to have "just a bite."

cmd1974 05-02-2013 12:07 PM

Oh believe me, I will. This isn't my first low carb rodeo (far from it!) so I knew I would have to pay my dues. I try to remember this is actually GOOD for me - get the crap out of my system so I can start to feel healthy and strong again.

raindroproses 05-02-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd1974 (Post 16405646)
...should try eliminating it from their diet and see how they feel on days 3 and 4. :sick:

UGH!!!! I have had a splitting headache for 2 days and today I'm so nauseous I can barely function. If I didn't have a deadline I would have left work early today and gone home and crawled right into bed.

I have to power through this! Envisioning the scale going down.

Awww so sorry you're having a rough time with this... it will get better, I promise :hugs:

And it most certainly IS real! I don't feel like I was truly addicted to sugar, but I do believe I was addicted to starchy carbs. It was a real pain trying to cut those out at first, but after that initial few days to a week I finally felt like I was free... and I haven't looked back yet :)

Try and get plenty of rest if you can once you're finished with your work, and if the headache persists you might want to try some broth or something... I know for some reason the sodium in it helps many with the "induction flu." Not sure if the same logic would apply here, but assuming you're still nauseous it'd probably be easy enough on your tummy too :)

cmd1974 05-02-2013 12:25 PM

Thank you! I just had some tuna salad and avocado - lots of fat! - so I feel a little better. I can definitely try some broth tonight.

I tried to ease my way into it this time to try and avoid the withdrawal symptoms. I did the same thing as you, Melanie. Starchy carbs were the first to go, but since they were never my Achilles Heel it was pretty easy for me. I stopped fruit last week, and Monday I went 100% sugar free. I hope I have a little more energy by the weekend.

Deosil 05-02-2013 01:16 PM

I am so sorry to hear you have those cravings right now. I know when I started Induction it was hell. I did nothing but think about platefuls of pasta, bread, potatoes and anything sweet. It lasted around 3 weeks or so but then one day I woke up and didn't really think about it. These days, I really don't have those cravings and can sit next to people eating all of the things I used to obsess over and have no problem with it.

Hang in there it will get much better before you know it!

Geekin' in Utah 05-02-2013 11:49 PM

The great thing is that studies using fMRI are showing it. What we, as sugar addicts, knew, science is now proving (sugar lights up the same pleasure centers as cocaine!). It's yet another step towards a time when food companies aren't allowed to poison us and the government teaches us something useful abut nutrition.

The day will come.

LauraDavis 05-03-2013 12:06 AM

try uping your salt intake for a day... advice given to me and it helped a TON!!!!! Something to the effect that you process salt differently when you're on a low carb diet.

princessmommy 05-03-2013 03:49 AM

I felt the same way my first few days of LC! Ugh! I was Soo addicted to sugar it was crazy. I could leave the bread, potaotes etc no problem but leaving behind the sugary sweet tea, PB cups, snack cakes, donuts etc was hard! Now I'm not even tempted, that often Lol! Feel better!!