Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I didn't know you were from Boston too, Jayne! I know what you mean about DD; I've been mad, but if it were here, I'd be bypassing it anyway.

But I will say their regular coffee is just so much better than Starbucks, so I could go for some anytime. I like the donuts, but I can live without them.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Why flat lid? Doesn't that make your drink smaller?.
Yes, it does make the drink smaller, however, I was losing a lot of the drink spilling all over the car while driving so it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference to me anyway. I kinda have a lead foot. Lol
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
Haha I've been secretly wishing for sugar free white mocha too! Let me try the sf caramel Americano style. I'll report back.
Yes, let me know how you like it.

I've tried to drink DD coffee, we have them in my city too, and they are a heck of a lot cheaper but after drinking Starbucks for so long DD's coffee tastes as weak as tea to me.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
I drink a lot of water but i also drink diet coke w/splenda(try to limit to one per day)and coffee w/hwc,cinnamon and stevia.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
It would be so easy to replicate your favorites at home. I use my Ninja to whip up great coffee drinks.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I didn't know you were from Boston too, Jayne! I know what you mean about DD; I've been mad, but if it were here, I'd be bypassing it anyway.

But I will say their regular coffee is just so much better than Starbucks, so I could go for some anytime. I like the donuts, but I can live without them.
Sadly San Diego has ruined me for Boston. I'd never make it through the winter now. I've been feeling almost homesick, or maybe nostalgic bc of the bomb thing. The bomber kid went to the same school all my friends did and the kid that was being interviewed as the younger bomber's best friend is actually the grandson of an ex-boyfriend of mine (he was a little on the old side for me, lol). Somehow it makes me feel all nostalgic.... And I want a dunkin' donut! Gah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
Yes, it does make the drink smaller, however, I was losing a lot of the drink spilling all over the car while driving so it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference to me anyway. I kinda have a lead foot. Lol
Ahhh, I can see that. I do hate those dome lids, but I'm also always angling for the biggest coffee possible.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Did you go to Rindge? So did my brother. We grew up in Cambridge and Brookline.

I have been feeling homesick because of the bombing too. I mostly miss it regardless, but more when a tragedy strikes. Same with NYC, where I lived right before moving here.

Oh, just reread. Not you, your friends.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-01-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Why flat lid? Doesn't that make your drink smaller???

I thank my lucky stars there's no DD out here. I have a horrible weakness for their donuts (chocolate glazed) and when I went back home to Boston a couple of years ago, they were what ended my 40 pound losing streak and it took me about a year and a half to pick myself up and dust myself off after that. I am so happy that there's nothing close out here.

I think cold turkey is the only way to go. You'll have a headache for a few days, but after that I doubt you'll even miss it much.

I'm currently indulging my starbucks addiction bc I'm studying for the bar (which I can only do outside of the house or else I will find any reason not to be studying) and starbucks is the only cafe in town that has HWC. I get one venti or treinta (depending on whether I feel like hot or cold) with SF mocha syrup and a splash of HWC, then I switch to unsweetened passion iced tea. But I think after the bar, I'll probably give it up. I also feel like it would be nice to not be addicted to anything.
Bar exam?? Good luck!! I agree, indugle in Starbucks while you study
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
You could just move to Portland and you wouldn't stand out. We all have a Starbucks (or similar) in our hand.
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
I'm pretty much a caffeine addict and used to drink several Diet Dr. Peppers a day, plus have several coffees with Sweet-n-Low in them. However, when I started doing LC seriously and checking my blood sugar, I discovered that artificial sweeteners spiked my blood sugar and that brought on cravings.

So....I had to learn to live without them. Ugh. It was hard! But now that I've pretty much eliminated all sweeteners (except for a very rare treat), I find that I don't miss them and that I've learned to like non-sweet things. I can even drink coffee black now! Amazing.

No diet sodas any more, and because I work right above a Starbuck's store and it's a social thing to go get coffee, I've discovered that I like either an Americano or just a Pike drip with about 2 inches of heavy cream.

My Starbucks story: I live in Seattle, and way back in the late-ish 1970s, a lawyer I was working with started bringing in Starbuck's French roast and making some in a Melita cone drip. He served it with cream and sugar. I had never really drunk coffee before that, but I became addicted! I started walking down to their store in Pike Place Market (before they even served coffee!) and buying the whole bean coffee--it was quite radical in those days. I actually prefer other brands to Starbucks, but you can't avoid 'em up here and so many of the other roasters have come and gone over the years, but Starbucks is still here.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzee
Stats: 210/165
WOE: Induction phase? 30 carbs daily?
Start Date: Restart October 2014
Hi. I've been "hooked" on Diet Coke for a long time. Over the past few months, I've made myself drink the same amount of water as Diet Coke. Some days I just have half a soda. I've had success with a carbonated plain water called Vintage. I get it at Wally World. I put a packet of stevia and a packet of either TrueLime or TrueLemon in the bottle, and that's pretty refreshing.

BTW...does anyone else out there feel that the taste of Diet Coke as changed? And not for the better? Or maybe my taste buds are changing.
Suzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessrose18
Stats: 204/187/160
i replaced my starbucks with big train iced coffee mocha powder ..from netrition its great makes nice thick fraps just add ice, water, and some hwc
jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
i replaced my starbucks with big train iced coffee mocha powder ..from netrition its great makes nice thick fraps just add ice, water, and some hwc
How is the taste? Is there an aftertaste?
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I came back to tell you that 8 days without my coffee and I've lost 2 lbs! I'm in maintenance, so I don't see 2 lb drops very often.
You can do it. It is totally worth it.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Did you go to Rindge? So did my brother. We grew up in Cambridge and Brookline.

I have been feeling homesick because of the bombing too. I mostly miss it regardless, but more when a tragedy strikes. Same with NYC, where I lived right before moving here.

Oh, just reread. Not you, your friends.
I actually went to Belmont High, but I dropped out of high school so I could hang out with my Rindge friends who were mostly skipping a lot of school, too. Ahhhh, those were the days! lol What year did your brother graduate? I woulda been class of '87, but I knew kids at Rindge a little older and a little younger. I bet he's way younger, but it would be fun if I knew him!

I went to law school in NYC and even though I was only there for three years, in a way I really think of it as home. If I as on the east coast, I think it would be NYC, except that I only wanna live there if I'm rich... must work on that! I love the city, though. Just tonight I was doing a walk through downtown san diego thinking how fun it would be to walk through manhattan.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

He's six years older than I, but I think my brother's about your age! I'm trying to remember when he would have graduated (he left as a junior), and it was somewhere around '86, IIRC! And his girlfriend graduated in '84 or thereabouts, I think (they reconnected a few years back). This is so funny.

I lived in NYC a couple of times in between and after college, and I consider it my second home, after Boston. As much as I love it, though, I have always said that I would only go back to live in NYC if I had a ton of money. I definitely miss living in the northeast. Even after ten years out here, as much as I like Long Beach as a city, SoCal just isn't home home, kwim?
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-02-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I totally feel the same about it not being home. Sadly, I think it is home for my nine year old! And if we stay too much longer, I will feel like we have to go with that, yk? Sigh... The truth of the matter is that I can't imagine surviving a real winter anyway.

So funny about your brother! I wouldn't be surprised if we at least knew people in common. During my high school years (or what would have been my high school years, lol) I spent a LOT of time in harvard square (back when it still had some charm and everything wasn't abercrombie and, well, whatever other designer brands have huge flashy signs there now). I was like the normal-ish kid who was friends with all the freaks. Or at least that's how I saw it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

My brother practically lived in Harvard Square! I bet you did know some of the same people. He was definitely among the freaks in high school.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
If you really need to cut it, go cold turkey. If you don't, try switching to homemade if possible? I use the Copco cups and just make my coffee with sf syrup and hwc at home if I need it. Much cheaper, tastier (I use better and fresher beans than the stores, and usually a lighter roast, too!), and lower carb.

I still drink a fair bit of tea/iced tea/mio/coffee. It doesn't affect my losses that I can tell, but it does make me get headaches if I have too much artificial sweetener (like in the Mio, the diet sodas are generally self limiting). So sticking to coffee/tea with sucralose or stevia is a better choice for me, and of course drinking plenty of plain water. Tea and coffee don't give me cravings, but diet coke and aspartame laden drinks like Crystal Lite certainly can.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
And all you folks down in San Diego are making me homesick. I grew up in North County and all my family is still down there. I am NOT a California girl and Alaska suits me much better, but when we're getting a forecast of snow in May I find myself longing for the weather, cheap Mexican food, and bubble teas nonetheless.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

And I get more homesick when I see it's snowing back home.

We're a fickle bunch aren't we?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I grew up in Long Beach.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

back atcha
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Even after ten years out here, as much as I like Long Beach as a city, SoCal just isn't home home, kwim?
It's a Neil Diamond song......

Palm trees grow and rents are low, but ya know I keep thinking bout making my way back........ LA's fine but it ain't home, New York's home but it ain't mine no more.

Last edited by GME; 05-05-2013 at 07:33 PM..
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
It's a Neil Diamond song......

Palm trees grow and rents are low, but ya know I keep thinking bout making my way back........ LA's fine but it ain't home, New York's home but it ain't mine no more.
Too funny! Especially about the "rents". Ugh! Cost of housing here is freaking insane! In NYC at least you're talking about brownstones. lol Those are priceless in my opinion.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

I love love love that song. It's one of those that I belt out when it comes up in the shuffle.

I am, I said…
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #58

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I make my own iced coffees at home... to make it breakfast instead of just a coffee drink, I add either a protein powder (in the blender) or a ready to drink protein shake. If I make it in the blender, it's usually a starbucks via pack, a bit of water, isopure zero carb vanilla, calorie countdown milk (low carb), heavy cream (in essence, I make my own half n half in the blender lol), and ice.

To make it extra special I add Gosh That's Good! brand sugar free white chocolate powder (bought here on netrition)... Yum yum.

I actually look forward to my coffee drinks in the morning.

As for DD, I swear there were DDs out here in So Cal.... I grew up here and I KNOW I have seen them before.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: danni3
Stats: 198/194/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: May 5th 2013
I dont think I can give up my diet pepsi!
danni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I make my own iced coffees at home... to make it breakfast instead of just a coffee drink, I add either a protein powder (in the blender) or a ready to drink protein shake. If I make it in the blender, it's usually a starbucks via pack, a bit of water, isopure zero carb vanilla, calorie countdown milk (low carb), heavy cream (in essence, I make my own half n half in the blender lol), and ice.

To make it extra special I add Gosh That's Good! brand sugar free white chocolate powder (bought here on netrition)... Yum yum.

I actually look forward to my coffee drinks in the morning.

As for DD, I swear there were DDs out here in So Cal.... I grew up here and I KNOW I have seen them before.
I bought THe Gosh That's Good! White velvet mix. I have some instant coffee and some hwc so I will be doing that to save some money! Freakin sbux is killing me! If I saved all the money I spent on sbux I'd be a millionaire! LOL
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote