Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What are some low-carb foods that cause you to have cravings? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/803225-what-some-low-carb-foods-cause-you-have-cravings.html)

Filly 05-01-2013 01:33 PM

What are some low-carb foods that cause you to have cravings?

I have been wondering about soft cheeses and yogurt?

lisamt 05-01-2013 01:41 PM

Eating almonds makes me crave more almonds. :p

Full fat yogurt is one of the most satiating foods for me, maybe because it has just the right amount of protein and fat. I haven't noticed increased hunger or cravings from eating soft cheese, but I can easily overeat hard cheeses like cheddar.

Patience 05-01-2013 04:24 PM

If you add sweetener to your yogurt, that might be more a problem than if you eat it plain.

Mad4Chillas 05-01-2013 04:41 PM

Cream Cheese Muffins make me crave sweet foods. I hardly make them because I will scarf the whole batch in one sitting.

momov2boys 05-01-2013 05:09 PM

Years ago, when I was LC & low cal, peanut butter became a huge issue for me...
I was addicted to it and obsessed with it!

:stars:

tinamanni 05-01-2013 05:21 PM

I have issues with all peanut butter and nuts :(

Blue Skies 05-01-2013 05:28 PM

Interesting to note that Low Carb foods can cause cravings too. For myself, I can't think of any low carb foods I crave more of than I'm having. But if I even look at a baguette I feel the bread monster in me smacking her lips.

I guess I'm eating such a variety of low carb foods and recipes that a. my appetite is greatly decreased, and b. knowing I can have them short wires my cravings for them. Deprivation is my cravings machine, which is why I short circuit that with occasional treat nights---and by this I don't mean a binge, I mean eating something outside of my woe, AND ENJOYING IT. No guilt. IMO, guilt increases cravings. If I know I can have something say, next week, I do fine.

Jrw85705 05-01-2013 05:37 PM

Almonds and pistachios. If I don't eat them I'm fine. When I have some I just want more until they are all gone. It's easier to just not start.

Demonica 05-01-2013 06:31 PM

I just made the mistake of making a LC version of Nutella. Nope, still addictive. I ate all of it. Can't keep that around.:o

I can keep cravings under control unless TOM is on the way, and he is. Then it's a kitchen scavenging free for all. (everything here is LC) I usually go after cheese or almonds.

Patience 05-02-2013 09:26 AM

Nuts!

raindroproses 05-02-2013 10:03 AM

I don't think any LC foods really cause cravings in me necessarily, except the craving to continue eating more of what I'm having... that's why I can never take an entire bag of nuts to the couch with me, or the entire jar of peanut butter or something like that. Or an entire brick of cheese, LOL.

I think that just happens though because those are foods in particular that taste really good to me, and that I'd be interesting in continuing to eat even after I've had my portion. I've never had an "overboard" moment yet though and continued to binge on them... at least not since starting LC. For me this WOE prevents cravings, which is fantastic because I was always an overeater :)

peanutte 05-02-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

I don't think any LC foods really cause cravings in me necessarily, except the craving to continue eating more of what I'm having...
Quote:

I think that just happens though because those are foods in particular that taste really good to me, and that I'd be interesting in continuing to eat even after I've had my portion.
Isn't that the very nature of a "craving"? Wanting to eat something (or more of something) because it tastes good, your mouth wants it, and you're overruling your sense of whether or not it's necessary, beneficial, or whether you've had enough?

To me that is what a "craving" is. How do other people define "cravings"?

Filly 05-02-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutte (Post 16405525)
How do other people define "cravings"?

I agree with you peanutte.

To me a craving is an urge or desire to eat something or more of something when you are not physically hungry or when rationally you know it is not good to eat the item or too much of the item but your mouth/taste buds push you to eat or keep eating.

I don't think it only happens with high-carbohydrate foods. It can happen with any kind of food.

Now, I do know that a low-carb diet seriously decreases those episodes of cravings and gives me the ability to actually say no when they do arise where as with a higher carbohydrate diet I have very little control when a craving hits.

Still I am finding that some low-carb foods are triggering cravings to eat sugar or bread or crackers. I made the ricotta cheese pancakes one day and before the end of the day I was craving all kinds of things that I had not been wanting since cutting my carbs to 30g four weeks ago. I have also noticed this when I eat yogurt. And yes I do add Splenda to it so perhaps that is part of the problem.

Strawberry 05-02-2013 12:22 PM

Soft cheeses and yogurts have always been fine for me.

NUTS are too caloric... I dont get 'cravings", but the serving size of like 10 nuts is just too small for me. I will eat a handful equal to like 500 or 600 calories for a "snack".... so its better to just avoid altogether if I'm trying to lose weight. In maintenance mode, I will put a few on a salad or in a stirfry.

nolcjunk 05-02-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16405354)
I don't think any LC foods really cause cravings in me necessarily, except the craving to continue eating more of what I'm having... that's why I can never take an entire bag of nuts to the couch with me, or the entire jar of peanut butter or something like that. Or an entire brick of cheese, LOL.
:)

to me that would be a craving, you're overeating because you crave that food.

raindroproses 05-02-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutte (Post 16405525)
Isn't that the very nature of a "craving"? Wanting to eat something (or more of something) because it tastes good, your mouth wants it, and you're overruling your sense of whether or not it's necessary, beneficial, or whether you've had enough?

To me that is what a "craving" is. How do other people define "cravings"?

Eh, to me that's not a craving. To me a craving is something strong that is hard to resist. What I was talking about is just a "Wow, this is really tasty food" sort of thing to where I'm sure if I WANTED to eat more of whatever it is I'd be perfectly happy to do so... but I don't CRAVE it. Nor is it hard for me to stop. I'd just like to continue, because I've always been someone who overeats.

When I ate bread and rice and things like that, I'd CRAVE them. Literally sit there dying to eat more of it, and that's almost all I'd think about until I got it.

I don't consider appreciating tasty foods and recognizing your portion size is fairly small compared to what you otherwise might like to eat as a craving. It's just the bane of enjoying foods that are rather calorie dense, or sometimes in my case, protein dense. I've never cheated or ate a single thing off plan, and that's coming from someone who had serious issues with binging prior to this WOE... so I'd definitely say my cravings have ceased :p

raindroproses 05-02-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16405621)

Yeah, I don't overeat. Not anymore. That's what I just said. And no I don't CRAVE it. There's a difference. I plan my food at the start of the day and generally stick to it. I don't sit around, crave something, and then walk to the kitchen and get it. Period. That's not at all what I said. What I said was there are foods that taste rather good that are obviously high in calories that I would enjoy eating more of, but I don't. That's not a craving.

nolcjunk 05-02-2013 12:58 PM

Dairy used to be something that I would overeat a lot of the time. But, then I went cold turkey and reintroduced it later, and now am able to eat a tiny bit without wanting to keep eating past satiety and am not compelled to eat it at every meal..

peanutte 05-02-2013 01:11 PM

I wonder, do other people make a distinction between a "craving" and a "trigger food"? I do, for myself.

For me, trigger food=volume and lack of self control, i.e. if I buy full fat cottage cheese I want to eat all the cottage cheese. That's why I don't buy it, or have it around except if it's a small container. But I don't get a sudden desire for it, ahead of time.

Whereas, I might think about another type of food out of the blue, and picture how it smells, looks, how it would taste, etc. To me that is a craving; it's a vivid "want", but I don't have to act, even though the desire was there. With the cottage cheese example, there wouldn't be a strong level of interest until I started eating it and wanted to eat more of it. That sounds more like how the nuts are for some people.

As far as high-fat foods, I don't think I crave them except together with carbs. I don't crave cheese on its own, but I might get a distractingly strong idea of wanting a grilled cheese sandwich or some pizza. Earlier in my weight loss I would have tried to come up with a low-carb substitute or version of one of those types of foods. I figured out that it's easier and better for me to just stop the thought from gaining momentum, and eat my normal meals without getting involved in recipes or food ideas.

peanutte 05-02-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

I read this as the collective, nonspecific "you".

What is always interesting to me is how many different, but very personal, food-reactions we all have. I really doubt that most people would think of cottage cheese as anything worth overeating, but I know I would do best to not even buy it because I am going to eat it if it's there!

Peanut butter, I only buy a couple of times a year. Lately, there are companies that make little squishable packets of one 2Tbsp serving, and it's all natural--just peanuts and oil--so if anyone is able to find those locally, they are really convenient. The brand I know is Justin's.

raytamtay3 05-02-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinamanni (Post 16404187)
I have issues with all peanut butter and nuts :(

Same here.:sad:

Leo41 05-02-2013 02:11 PM

I don't really 'crave' anything, but there are 'low carb' foods that can 'trigger' me to overeating--ANYTHING with a sweet taste. It doesn't matter which artificial sweetener I use, it's the sweet taste that my body seems to 'process' as sugar. There must be a strong insulin response (as though I'd eaten sugar) because I become insatiably hungry and will want to eat everything in the house.

So to manage my weight--and keep my sanity--I abstain from anything with a sweet taste.

Patience 05-02-2013 02:40 PM

I think of a craving as deep desire. For alcoholics, it is the deep desire for a drink. It beckons. For food I think of a craving as less than a deep desire, but as a physical niggling, a signal that I am hungry. Now that I think about the latter, that's probably just hunger. But I think for food and alcohol I crave something to relieve my anxiety, in that way they are similar. Alcoholics are often given the acronym HALT to consider when they want a drink. The H means are you hungry. The yearning/craving for food and craving for alcohol can become mixed.

Anyway, interesting discussion.

tinamanni 05-02-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raytamtay3 (Post 16405726)
Same here.:sad:

It's crappy isn't it? I love nuts but they make me crave other things and/or are triggers. And I can't lose when I eat them

Dottie 05-02-2013 03:55 PM

For me, anything with a lot of cream cheese. Tasted great but leaves me unsatisfied and that makes me want to munch.

Weezy 05-02-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16405799)
I don't really 'crave' anything, but there are 'low carb' foods that can 'trigger' me to overeating--ANYTHING with a sweet taste. It doesn't matter which artificial sweetener I use, it's the sweet taste that my body seems to 'process' as sugar. There must be a strong insulin response (as though I'd eaten sugar) because I become insatiably hungry and will want to eat everything in the house.

So to manage my weight--and keep my sanity--I abstain from anything with a sweet taste.

I'm with you on this one! And artificial sweeteners do more than trigger cravings--they do make my blood sugar spike, although not as high as real sugar, there is still an insulin response. I too try to avoid sweet things...even blueberries can trigger cravings for more.

Last week I made a nut flour pumpkin bread. It was BARELY sweetened with two teaspoons of monkfruit liquid. But I couldn't leave it alone and ate the entire loaf in two days. Of course, part of the attraction was the very breadlike texture (a quick bread) and the mouth feel which was very much like a "real" pumpkin bread. Not making that again for quite a while.

Mimosa23 05-03-2013 02:23 AM

A very interesting topic.

I always thought nuts, cheeses and sweetened foods gave me cravings. And I always had cravings for these foods as well.

I have been working on my gut health and improving my intestinal bactecia, as I have candida problems. Since adding a really really good probiotic, raw milk, daily eating and drinking fermented foods and drinks, I have no more cravings issues. It is close to a miracle to me! I can have a little cheese and not descend into a cheese binge fest. I also have stopped thinking about food constantly. It is as if my body is healing itself and in the process fixing my brain too!

jazills 05-03-2013 02:36 AM

I decided to give up cheese due to it causing me to want more and more of it. A insane amount on every meal. So cheese is no good in my book. This isn't including like cheese spread (laughing cow) or cream cheese just hard cheese like sargento cheddar and tillamook :( I do ok with spreadable cheese because it's not as good to me lol!

emgee 05-05-2013 01:48 PM

Not all cheeses cause cravings for me. Parmesan makes me hungrier. Whipping cream ditto. But not peanut butter nor cream cheese. However I cannot eat any other type of nut. Actually isn't the peanut a legume? Anyway...when I'm eating nuts, I know I am going to binge.
Carbs and I are divorced. We're not going to get remarried. So, no nuts.
No artificial sweeteners and no gum either-cravings happen all the time with these.
Meat and eggs do not cause cravings so they are my main stays.

cfine 05-05-2013 01:58 PM

The more Coke Zero I drink, the more I want to eat. I went cold turkey today.