Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smith13
6 days on 1 day off??

So I've been doing Atkins since December. Had a good start then hit a rut a couple months in. Was stuck at 220 down from 232 for a few weeks.

I took a one week break because of a vacation. Put on a couple pounds but then when I got back on Atkins I broke through the barrier and went down to 216.

And now since then I have been going either 6 days on with 1 day off or 13 days on and 1 day off and I am still dropping weight. Currently at 210 so I'm down 22 lbs overall.

How is it that this works for me? Is it because I keep going back on induction? Or is it just the way my body reacts to low carb eating?

I know there are people who if they get off Atkins they have a hard time getting back on but for me it's like breathing air now. It justs comes natural. I think also that knowing that I can eat what I want every now and then keeps me motivated.

Either way I have another 10-20 lbs to go. But me next goal is to just see the first number on the scale be a 1. I also have a favorite belt that back in December I was maxed out on the holes. But now I am using the 3rd hole in instead of the first one.

So if there's anybody out there struggling with Atkins on hitting a wall maybe you should give yourself a break now and then. As long as you get back on Atkins it might be what you need to get to the next level.
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I do something similar with ok losses. I agree, you have to have the right mindset and willpower or it could backfire. I'm glad it's working for you!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
Can i ask what you are eating on the off days? i have 40-50 to go and think a treat now and then is a nessary thing.
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnmom View Post
Can i ask what you are eating on the off days? i have 40-50 to go and think a treat now and then is a nessary thing.
Whatever I want. But I try to not over do it.

Sunday is my off day. So I usually start with a nice breakfast of eggs and bacon which I usually have anyways but I add hash browns and toast.

For lunch just grab a burger and fries.

And dinner is either a few slices of pizza or a nice steak dinner with rolls and maybe a desert.

Again I don't go crazy with food on the off days. But then I just get right back on Atkins Monday morning and it just seems to work for me.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
Sounds delish!But my only thing when i used to do this was it was a constant war with water weight,emotions and the"i dont care im gonna eat" attidude lol then i would binge.Id rather just stay on plan.
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yeah, that wouldn't work for me. I believe in the power of keto-adaptation (long-term ketosis, which enables the body to more easily burn fat for fuel), and I do well staying in ketosis. Eating high carb once a week, or even once every two weeks, would constantly throw me out of ketosis, and it would take another three or so days to get back into it. I stay in ketosis, with maybe an off-plan meal a few times a year.

Glad you found something that you can work with.

I just want to say, though, that being "stuck" at a certain weight for a few weeks isn't unusual. That's not a stall, it's a normal part of long-term weight loss. No one loses exactly the same amount week in, week out. When someone has been losing for a while, the body tries to hold onto the weight any way it can, which includes filling the emptying fat cells with water before releasing it all. You may not have lost scale weight, but I would bet you were losing fat and holding onto water. Just like I only lost 1.2 lbs of scale weight in a six week period, but I still was losing fat. During that time frame, I lost several inches from key areas, and went down a size in jeans.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
this works for some people, but I think it's really dangerous for most of us.

the other thing is, especially for men, but older women too, mixing carbs with the high fat of low carbing can be hard on your heart.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
this works for some people, but I think it's really dangerous for most of us.

the other thing is, especially for men, but older women too, mixing carbs with the high fat of low carbing can be hard on your heart.
And why is that?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I wish I could do that! If you have found something that works for you, that is fabulous. For me, I find it quite a chore to get back in to ketosis, not full keto flu but headaches and feeling tired for a little while.

I do have breaks every now and again, usually a weekend away or an holiday.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
One day off turns into two, then three, then weeks, then months. Oh yeah and this last time...2 years. There is no time off from a lifestyle. There is only time off if you think of it as a diet. I have a serious problem with carbs. I can't take a break. It would be like an alcoholic taking a break and having a few drinks. But, that's maybe that's just me. YMMV.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
High fat and low carb is heart-healthy. High carb and low fat is fine too. High fat and high carb is very unhealthy.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-01-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I would love to be able to do that but I can't. When I'm lc'ing I am very strict with myself and CANNOT cheat. If I do, my mindset immediately goes to, we'll you've blown this day. Might as well go all out. Then it takes 2 yrs for me to get back on track. I don't know why I ever go off low carb. I feel Great eating like this. Even when I'm not losing, I still feel so much better about myself.
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Not for me either. As Emgee mentions, for me it would be like an alchoholic starting to drink.
It is great though that we are not one size fits all.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Doesn't work for me either. And Man I so wish it would! With Me if I try that I end up Gaining and taking Weeks to get that weight off. I've found i'm very sensitive to "bad" carbs and when I slip and eat HC foods I pay for it
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SKaren
That's what I do, but I am on maintenance. I LC six days per week and have a "free day" every Saturday.
SKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessrose18
Stats: 204/187/160
WOE: Atkins
i have tried it for 6 weeks, 6 days on and then 1 cheat day and i would gain whatever i lost that week and maintained my weight, but no losses. i hoped it would work but i do cheat on weekends sometimes, bdays vacations etc.
jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
If it works keep at it!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
There's a diet (Carb Nite?) out there that uses this method. 30 grams of carb for the first 9 days, then a "carb night". From then on, 30 grams a day for 6 days and a carb night on the 7th. But apparently only one meal. I'd be afraid of that one meal turning into a week! I haven't read more than the first three chapters which are on line, but it's an intriquing diet method.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
My dad, 72 years old and overweight/obese through his entire adulthood, has been doing some form of this, on his own. He is not low-carb but he's a type 2 diabetic, and he'd tried any number of diets including homeopathic hcg with the 500-calorie days (which worked great until he couldn't stand it any more, and I don't blame him). He loses well, but regains. This was becoming a serious concern for him and he was contemplating weight loss surgery.

But in the course of the preliminary group sessions with other WLS patients, he came to the conclusion that it hadn't magically solved their problems and a lot of them were struggling with their weight as much as before. So he decided to just try to eat that way without getting the surgery, and he lost a lot of weight. (about 50 pounds I think. I don't ask him for numbers.)

What he does is try to eat small meals and relatively lower-carb, but he gives himself a cheat day, and this helps keep him on track. He's not losing more weight right now, but when I saw him a month ago he looked to me like he was maintaining what he's lost. I noticed that even with a very carby cheat meal like pasta, he doesn't finish all his food. He's gotten used to smaller meals and in the long run I think that's going to help him a lot.

He feels like he's not doing something strict enough, but honestly, the best plan for anyone is a plan they can stick with, so I personally think his one-day-off approach is terrific.

It really can be a good option for some people.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I think I would constantly be losing and gaining the same pound(s) over and over and it would drive me crazy if I did this. I feel so guilty when I have a cheat meal once in a while so I don't know how I could personally live with myself doing this once a week...lol!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote