LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Irritated at misinformation

I know this subject is talked about a lot, but I just need to go over the subject again. I went to a thrift store today, and they had magazines for 25cents each so I picked up several Health magazines. Almost everything in it is low-fat, whole grains, eat your fruits and veggies...you know the drill. It drives me crazy!! All they want us to do is count calories. If only that worked I would be as skinny as a super model. Eat this mini cannoli...what?? Oh it's only 80 calories. Yeah right, and then I would be on the binging highway to h--l.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I have gotten to where I won't buy my favorite women's magazines anymore because of all the "health" advice (low fat) and recipes that I can't use.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the road to disaster is paved with mini cannolis!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I don't know about you, but in my pre-LC days there were no mini cannolis... just MASSIVE cannolis that got me to h--l even quicker

I definitely know what you mean though, it always bums me out. At least with some recipes you can tweak them a bit but the misinformation is really just keeping America sick (and other places I'm sure... surely we can't be the only ones with the bad advice floating around!)
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Omg! I am frustrated for the exact same reason... There is a certain app that rhymes with flosing it... There is a low carb challenge to stay under 50 for may, well people keep posting bashes about how bad for you it is, carbs are brain food, and fat is bad for you lol! Oh people have no clue!

Last edited by Nancypie11; 04-30-2013 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: I can't spell... Must be from low carb lol!!!
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
That's nothing, my tracker keeps berating me because I'm only getting 10 or so of my "daily 187 carbs." Uhhhh yeah... no thanks!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I set my tracker to a custom diet: 4% carbs (which is ~20g), 24% protein, and 72% fat. I mostly don't track everything precisely, but I can see when I'm generally on the right track.

I stopped reading diet advice long ago, unless I know it's LC-focused. I even get angry when I see crappy diet advice on screen in the waiting room of the doctor's office. And don't get me started on the advice they give to diabetics. It's enough to make you tear your hair out.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
And don't get me started on the advice they give to diabetics. It's enough to make you tear your hair out.
Watched a little boy prick his finger & give it to his mom, who applied it to a glucose meter...see he was a little low and hand him Smarties.

Was so hard to keep my mouth shut!

I always expect "diet" and "health" advice to be wrong, in terms of what you "should" eat. With the result that I'm always pleasantly surprised when it's right. (Which, I must say, happens a lot more than it used to! Thank you Gary Taubes, Dr. Lustig, et al!)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I know this subject is talked about a lot, but I just need to go over the subject again. I went to a thrift store today, and they had magazines for 25cents each so I picked up several Health magazines. Almost everything in it is low-fat, whole grains, eat your fruits and veggies...you know the drill. It drives me crazy!! All they want us to do is count calories. If only that worked I would be as skinny as a super model. Eat this mini cannoli...what?? Oh it's only 80 calories. Yeah right, and then I would be on the binging highway to h--l.
Eh different things for different people. Calorie counting and eating fruit and veg works for many.

And, if low carb's worth/whether it works was counted by how many people it made skinny it wouldn't look too successful either.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-01-2013 at 05:24 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
It is frustrating. I don't know how many diets I tried and failed to stick to, I eventually just gave up and thought I was born to be fat. I've been statistically over weight since I was a child. To think I had to go through all of that, and all I had to do was eat more fat and less sugar.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Ah Ha ha ha Ravenrose! To funny! I agree though, I quit buying all those magazines cause all they did was irritate me! Every once in awhile i'll pick one up if they have something about LC on the front but that's Not very often!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I was at a store last week and the cashier was talking to this guy and he was saying something about he and his wife were both diabetic now (he was almost acting PROUD about it, like it was some major accomplishment) and that they were both on Metformin and that they still ate whatever they wanted. Do you have ANY idea how hard it was for me to keep my mouth shut? I almost made my lip bleed I was biting it so hard!

I feel bad for all the people with problems (diabetic, insulin resistance, etc.) that are being told to eat a total carb fest. But alot of them you can't tell any different. Their doctors are GOD, don't ya know.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Watched a little boy prick his finger & give it to his mom, who applied it to a glucose meter...see he was a little low and hand him Smarties.

I always expect "diet" and "health" advice to be wrong, in terms of what you "should" eat. With the result that I'm always pleasantly surprised when it's right. (Which, I must say, happens a lot more than it used to! Thank you Gary Taubes, Dr. Lustig, et al!)
Okay, first I apologize for not know how to highlight a portion of your quote, but wanted to comment on the part regarding the little boy and smarties.

The boy obviously had Type 1 diabetes and is insulin dependent and has to be monitored for low blood sugar. Dr. Bernstein recommends "smarties" in that situation in order to bring immediate results. So in this case it's not a bad thing. Now if the mom had given him a candy bar of some sort, that would be different.

I agree on all the mis-information out there though. Makes me want to pull my hair out.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gatton
I'll turn my TV on in the afternoon, and Dr. Oz is usually on. He has had doctors on his show that absolutely support a low carb WOE. I don't recall their names, but there were a couple of docs who showed that high fat, high cholesterol diets did not cause heart disease and other problems. If fact, sugars and other carbs are the problem. He had the author of "Wheatbelly" on his show. A recent guest was a supporter of the Paleo style WOE.

The very next day after one of these shows, he'll be right back on the low fat bandwagon. It's unbelievable to me that he can still support the low fat, whole grains, high carb WOE; which has pretty much been proven to be totally bogus. And, when it comes to fat loss, all he talks about is calories.

Fortunately, my doc has finally seen the light. If fact, after losing 60 lbs, and normalizing my vital numbers; he uses me as one of "his" success stories! Well, I appreciate his support, but I owe it to Dr. Atkins and the support of this forum.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
My mother-in-law was hospitalized with glucose number over 500, and had seizures at home and at the hospital----the next day when her sugar got under control, they come in with the menu for her, and she got to pick out what kind of cookie she wanted for dessert----she has dementia, and is now in a home, and they are giving her a regular meal with noodles, potatoes --bread sticks and such, we are having a meeting next week do discuss some things, but i have seen this over and over in hospitals where diabetics eat all those carbs, then give them a shot----crazy
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Eh different things for different people. Calorie counting and eating fruit and veg works for many.
Yes, a lower-fat/higher-carb diet works just fine for many people. I have no problem with that at all. I think whole foods and good nutrition are more important overall than doing one particular plan or another. People can do WW with junk food, and people can do low-carb with junk food too. Of course I like to see people improving their health conditions, reversing high blood pressure, managing their diabetes, etc. but I'm not a "one true path" person. The best diet is one you can stick to, and is giving you the nutrition you need, but I think there are plenty of different approaches--Mediterranean, Paleo, vegetarian, Atkins-by-the-book, IF, basic calorie reduction, whatever.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
Sunny7, I have to say that here in Maryland when my mohter-in-law was in the hospital they offered her the low carb menu. She has diabetes. I was surprised and pleased but my mother-in-law kept saying, "I have diabetes, I don't need low carb diets, I need no sugar diets!" She was 83 and just didn't understand. I was glad the doctors did.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I'm more irritated with the misinformation I see posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I went to a thrift store today, and they had magazines for 25cents each so I picked up several Health magazines.
Aren't you glad you didn't end up paying full price, then?
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin View Post
Sunny7, I have to say that here in Maryland when my mohter-in-law was in the hospital they offered her the low carb menu. She has diabetes. I was surprised and pleased but my mother-in-law kept saying, "I have diabetes, I don't need low carb diets, I need no sugar diets!" She was 83 and just didn't understand. I was glad the doctors did.
seems around here this is the norm, high carb diet, give them a shot---- my hubby was sent to a dietician to talk about his diet to control high sugars, a few years ago, they weren't to bad, i had him on lc, and the dietician said i would like to see you have around 40 carbs per meal, i thought wth, he was eating no toast for breakkfast with his eggs and bacon, then when the dieticain told him that he started with toast again--i still control his sugars with LC, and his sugars are much better --no toast for breakfast-----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, Pami, I was VERY glad I didn't pay much for them!

I do realize that a lot of people an eat low fat, count calories, and lose or maintain a normal weight. The problem is that it is SO one-sided. If low carb diets were given as much face time as low fat I would be perfectly ok with that
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squirrel watch
Stats: 5'6"~202/186/140~29yrs
WOE: Atkins <25g + JUDDD
Start Date: LoCarb:4-14-13/JUDDD: 5-13-13
Whether low carb or low fat will work for a person is mostly in the genetics. There are many well supported studies about the rate of oxidation (how quickly carbs are metabolized) and what the persons optimal diet will be. There are ways to formally and informally test this.

While fast oxidizers do better on low carb and high fat, and should avoid most grains, slow oxidizers do well on whole grains and very lean meats, fruits, veggies. There's a whole spectrum in between.

Of course the irritating part, is that we low carbers get a lot of nagging from every direction, while the low fat style is hailed

Last edited by squirrel watch; 05-01-2013 at 09:50 PM..
squirrel watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
There is a comic taped to one of the refrigerators at work:

"We the jury find these Low Fat Muffins Guilt-Free!"

The cafeteria's "healthy selections menu" is loaded with low-fat and high carb options.

There are a dozen examples every day and each of them drives me nuts.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
Nancypie, I log using that app as well - can you send me a pm with the link to the challenge? I've gotten TONS of pushback on the regular forums over there about the LC WOE (some people are quite hostile!), but I've found that the groups and challenges have been quite supportive.

ETA: never mind the pm - I've found and joined the challenge. I also sent you a friend request.

Last edited by flappa1016; 05-01-2013 at 11:23 PM..
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
Quote:

Smarties are pure glucose instead of a mixture of sucrose and glucose, and get to the blood stream much quicker than candy with fat in it (like chocolate). Plus they can be counted out for an exact carb count to counteract hypos. AND they taste much better and cheaper than glucose tabs. Just curious what would you have fed him to prevent a hypo?
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
Hard to keep my mouth shut, when a coworker of mine has diabetes, pricks her finger at lunch, takes her sugar reading...then eats:

sandwich on white bread
and reeses peanut butter cups

are you kidding me?
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Lindsey! Both of my parents have diabetes, but they refuse to eat what I eat even though we all live in the same house. Cakes, cookies, crackers all take center stage, especially my mom. She also has Alzheimer's but I can't do anything about it because my dad refuses to get it all out of the house.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
There are actually a lot of experienced parents of type 1 patients as well as type 1 patients who use smarties instead of glucose tabs because of the cost.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Yes, a lower-fat/higher-carb diet works just fine for many people. I have no problem with that at all. I think whole foods and good nutrition are more important overall than doing one particular plan or another. People can do WW with junk food, and people can do low-carb with junk food too. Of course I like to see people improving their health conditions, reversing high blood pressure, managing their diabetes, etc. but I'm not a "one true path" person. The best diet is one you can stick to, and is giving you the nutrition you need, but I think there are plenty of different approaches--Mediterranean, Paleo, vegetarian, Atkins-by-the-book, IF, basic calorie reduction, whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post

And, if low carb's worth/whether it works was counted by how many people it made skinny it wouldn't look too successful either.
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:

Well, obviously everyone knows now that she was doing exactly the right thing. Sugar is the best way to bring up a low blood sugar and using protein would potentially be downright dangerous, fat would not help one iota.

I gotta say that one of the most humiliating experiences I've had as a fat person was when I had a low while we were out trick or treating w my kid and I got behind, kid and dh were somehow gone (these things happen when you're low) and I asked the woman at the door if I could have a couple if pieces of candy bc I was having an insulin reaction and she said to me "don't you think a piece of fruit would be a better choice?" I wish I woulda slugged her. I probably coulda used the insulin reaction as a defense. I think I did say something like " no, give me some f'ing candy!"

And for the record, I think chocolate or anything else yummy you wanna eat when you're low is fair game. It's not like you get to sit around eating chocolate bars all the time when you're a kid with type I, you may as well get to enjoy one when you're actually in need of sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Hard to keep my mouth shut, when a coworker of mine has diabetes, pricks her finger at lunch, takes her sugar reading...then eats:

sandwich on white bread
and reeses peanut butter cups

are you kidding me?
I don't mean to get down on you, personally, bc an awful lot of people do this, but... this is not ok! Just bc I have a disease (or am fat or whatever) does not give anyone the right to think this way about me. I know that for much of the last 20 years, and probably just as much now as ever, just about everyone who has spent any time around me has had these same thoughts. Totally never okay! You do not know until you've walked a mile in that person's shoes and its none of your business anyway.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 05-02-2013 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: typo, d*mned phone!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
I know that low carb has been responsible for my blood pressure coming down quicker than when I was just eating a low calorie diet. Even though I lost the same 20# on it. My blood sugars are also a ton better now.
LauraDavis is offline   Reply With Quote