Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Atkins Shakes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/803146-atkins-shakes.html)

SchoolPsych1979 04-30-2013 03:33 PM

Atkins Shakes
 
I understand the bars stall, but do the atkins shakes stall you guys?

Julie1972 04-30-2013 03:59 PM

I often have an Atkins shake for dinner. While I have suffered from stalls, I don't attribute them to the shakes as I've also managed to lose a lot of weight while drinking a shake a day. It's definitely different for some, so you just have to try it out for yourself and see what the impact is. As they often say in this forum, YMMV!

raindroproses 04-30-2013 04:04 PM

They did stall me, so it's a YMMV sort of thing... I stay away from all Atkins products pretty much at this point :laugh:

trishthedish 04-30-2013 04:05 PM

I have never tried the Atkins products because I am afraid to risk it! I follow the old school version and stick with the basics (just to be safe).

I'm also afraid if I start with them I will start relying on them too much and then it will be something I have to struggle with eliminating later.

Ntombi 04-30-2013 04:11 PM

The don't stall me, but they make me crazy hungry within a couple of hours. Like, shaky and about to pass out hunger. I only get that way a couple of times a year, but the shakes can do it if I don't eat again within a short timeframe of having one.


Now I only drink them in a true emergency. I keep a few in the trunk of my car.

I know not everyone has that reaction.

Jaded62 04-30-2013 06:30 PM

I do drink them and they do not stall me. Some weeks I have one every morning for breakfast.

Nancypie11 04-30-2013 08:00 PM

Some have malitol in them, which causes stalls in some people.

Mistizoom 04-30-2013 08:07 PM

Nope. I've had at least one every day for the past 3 months maybe. As of today I've lost 50 lbs. in 5.5 months total! :jumpjoy:

I do find the Atkins Advantage (blue accents on packaging - 15 g protein, 5 g or fewer total carbs) work better for me than the Atkins Daybreak (orange accents on packaging - 10 g protein, around 10 g total carbs, more fiber than Advantage shakes). I have an occasional Daybreak for a snack at work, but the Advantage shakes are my staples.

The Atkins shakes do not contain malitol.

SchoolPsych1979 04-30-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16402525)
Nope. I've had at least one every day for the past 3 months maybe. As of today I've lost 50 lbs. in 5.5 months total! :jumpjoy:

I do find the Atkins Advantage (blue accents on packaging - 15 g protein, 5 g or fewer total carbs) work better for me than the Atkins Daybreak (orange accents on packaging - 10 g protein, around 10 g total carbs, more fiber than Advantage shakes). I have an occasional Daybreak for a snack at work, but the Advantage shakes are my staples.

The Atkins shakes do not contain malitol.

Anything you do to them to make them tastier? I.e blended, etc? And congrats on the loss!

Ntombi 04-30-2013 08:36 PM

I add HWC to the shakes when I can. The added fat helps a little bit.

Mistizoom 04-30-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16402542)
Anything you do to them to make them tastier? I.e blended, etc? And congrats on the loss!

Nope, I just drink it straight, usually cold from the fridge. I have one for breakfast at 7:30 and it usually holds me until 11:30 when I eat lunch. I think I've tried all the Advantage flavors at this point, but only the creamy chocolate for the daybreak. I'm a chocolate lover and my order of preference is the following:
  • Daybreak Creamy Chocolate
  • Advantage Milk Chocolate Delight
  • Advantage Mocha Latte
  • Advantage Dark Chocolate Royale
  • Advantage Cafe Caramel, Advantage French Vanilla (tie)
  • Advantage Strawberry (tastes very artifical to me, however if you loved Frankenberry cereal as a kid, you should really try this one, it tastes just like it!)

SchoolPsych1979 04-30-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16402557)
Nope, I just drink it straight, usually cold from the fridge. I have one for breakfast at 7:30 and it usually holds me until 11:30 when I eat lunch. I think I've tried all the Advantage flavors at this point, but only the creamy chocolate for the daybreak. I'm a chocolate lover and my order of preference is the following:
  • Daybreak Creamy Chocolate
  • Advantage Milk Chocolate Delight
  • Advantage Mocha Latte
  • Advantage Dark Chocolate Royale
  • Advantage Cafe Caramel, Advantage French Vanilla (tie)
  • Advantage Strawberry (tastes very artifical to me, however if you loved Frankenberry cereal as a kid, you should really try this one, it tastes just like it!)

To you, what is the taste difference batten the daybreak and the advantage chocolate ones? I once tried the banana/strawberry day break and I thought it was awful.

SchoolPsych1979 04-30-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16402554)
I add HWC to the shakes when I can. The added fat helps a little bit.

What brand is your favorite hwc?

Ntombi 04-30-2013 08:51 PM

Trader Joe's HWC is delicious and very reasonably priced. Sometimes I buy it from Smart & Final, though.

Mistizoom 04-30-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16402560)
To you, what is the taste difference batten the daybreak and the advantage chocolate ones? I once tried the banana/strawberry day break and I thought it was awful.

I would never try the strawberry banana one, becuase I hate both artifical strawberry and artifical banana flavors so I figured that would be a double whammy. I think the daybreak chocolate is a little smoother/creamier (hence it's name) than the Advantage milk chocolate delight. But the Advantage one is still very good.

I should mention that before the Atkins shakes I was drinking the Premier Protein shakes from Costco (30 g protein, 5 g total carb, lower fat than Atkins shakes) every day for breakfast. I still have a few of those left and when I drink one of those now they don't taste very good to me, somewhat chalky. So the Atkins shakes were a step up! Before I started LC I would have a chocolate whey protein shake mixed with whole milk every day, and a banana as well for breakfast. So drinking shakes for breakfast has been a habit of mine for several years, I've just adapted it to my new WOE. I still need to figure out something to do with the 4 lbs. of chocolate whey protein powder I still have - I guess I could mix it with water and drink it.

llisarray 05-01-2013 09:19 AM

For some reason I can't do a 'liquid' meal. I'm starving to death very shortly after. I would do better to fast.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM.