Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   AHHH!! HELP!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/803142-ahhh-help.html)

TheSouthernPrincess 04-30-2013 02:02 PM

AHHH!! HELP!!

Today is birthday cake day in my office, and it is always the most moist, delicious cake ever!! I'm trying to be strong, because I just recommitted myself today, and I've been really good so far. Normally I don't care about sweet stuff, but today I'm craving it, and it's SO good!!! :help: I know I can stay strong, I just have to be naughty and read LC posts instead of working :lol:

TheSouthernPrincess 04-30-2013 02:05 PM

So the guy who sits next to me just brought his back to his desk :cry:

trishthedish 04-30-2013 02:24 PM

Stay strong! The joy of the cake will last two minutes and the guilt ALL night. Totally NOT worth it!!

TheSouthernPrincess 04-30-2013 02:45 PM

Thanks Trish :hugs: I've stayed strong thus far, and the official "cake time" is over, but there is still more looming in the kitchen :down: I'm trying to stay out the kitchen right now, but I need to refill my water. I will just have to run in, refill my water, and run out. I CAN do this!! :aprayer:

ravenrose 04-30-2013 03:44 PM

really? I think cake is totally a waste of carbs. I can't imagine why people even crave it. I have lots of downfalls, but don't bother me with cake! LOL

the trick, they say, to dealing with something you don't want to eat on your airline food tray (if there was one!) is to dump salt on it before it tempts you. but that might annoy the other people to find the remains of the cake well salted!

trishthedish 04-30-2013 03:58 PM

The whole time you are in the kitchen just keep repeating "I don't want it, I don't want it, I eat healthy, I eat healthy."

I find if I fake it, I make it!

ravenrose 04-30-2013 04:01 PM

it's true. like fish don't eat watermelons, SouthernPrincesses don't eat cake. it's that simple! *wink*

Julie1972 04-30-2013 04:02 PM

I've tried to mentally convince myself that cake, donuts, cookies, etc. are poison. I literally start telling myself those items will make me sick and ultimately kill me. :) A little dramatic, I know. However, it works for me! My office has some kind of treat almost every day so I had to find a way to survive the temptations! :):):)

trishthedish 04-30-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16402088)
I've tried to mentally convince myself that cake, donuts, cookies, etc. are poison. I literally start telling myself those items will make me sick and ultimately kill me. :) A little dramatic, I know. However, it works for me!

Actually, not very dramatic at all. It is completely true for those at us that struggle with obesity. We are slowly poisoning ourselves with these foods. It IS a matter of life and death.

clackley 04-30-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16402103)
Actually, not very dramatic at all. It is completely true for those at us that struggle with obesity. We are slowly poisoning ourselves with these foods. It IS a matter of life and death.

:goodpost:

And quite possibly people without the outward signs of metabolic disease are as well.

Good job resisting the tempatation!! It gets so much easier as the time without goes by. Kind of like quitting smoking... at first the smell is good and tempting but over time, it becomes obnoxious and not tempting in the least.

TheSouthernPrincess 04-30-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16402051)
really? I think cake is totally a waste of carbs. I can't imagine why people even crave it. I have lots of downfalls, but don't bother me with cake! LOL

the trick, they say, to dealing with something you don't want to eat on your airline food tray (if there was one!) is to dump salt on it before it tempts you. but that might annoy the other people to find the remains of the cake well salted!

Hahaha!! I literally laughed out loud when I thought about salting the cake! No, I don't think people would appreciate a salty cake lol. I made it though :) no cake for me today :jumpjoy:

TheSouthernPrincess 04-30-2013 04:31 PM

Thank you everyone for the support :) You guys are awesome!

peanutte 04-30-2013 05:09 PM

I just take a tip from The Thin Commandments and tell myself: "I've already had _____ plenty of times. It never made me happy, it only made me heavy."

Cake tastes good for such a brief moment and then it's gone. The results of our small day to day choices last a lot longer.

Maybe you could refill your water from the water fountain in the hall. You can do this. There will always be cake, or something else. You'll feel better if you ignore it.

trishthedish 04-30-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSouthernPrincess (Post 16402137)
I made it though :) no cake for me today :jumpjoy:

WTG!! Please take the time to celebrate these steps along the way. Today, you are a success and you have reached your goal of living a healthier lifestyle. :high5:

princessmommy 05-01-2013 04:43 AM

WTG!!! Whenever I get tempted by cake etc.. I remember that Nasty greasy taste and feel of a little debbie snack cake in the roof of my mouth. You know, that greasy film that just Coats your mouth. Yuck! *shudder*

Punkin 05-01-2013 04:53 AM

Is the cake homemade? Is it really worth going off plan for? If it is estimate the carbs in the cake, and make it your total carbs for the day. It will knock you out of ketosis if you are in ketosis, which means you'll have to deal with carb cravings until you get back into it. But if it is worth then why not? We have this great buffet restaurant in town and every time I got there I get knocked out of ketosis, but it is worth it. I save all my calories for the day for splurging at the buffet restaurant and I think it is worth it. I do stay away from the desert table and try to eat the protein and veggie options as much as possible.

TheSouthernPrincess 05-01-2013 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the support and congrats :) The cake yesterday wasn't homemade, but it was from this delicious bakery near our office that is out of this world. I was rewarded for my effort though with a 1lb loss!! YAY!! :jumpjoy: That really makes it easier to stick to my guns when cake comes around :)

raytamtay3 05-01-2013 07:05 AM

I had this happen to me last week! Our assistant makes homeade cakes for people's Bdays and it was literally sitting right outside of my cubical! Every time I passed by it I smelled it's deliciousness! But I stayed strong. And you can too! Remember....nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!;)

Oops, just realized this was posted yesterday. My bad.

Patience 05-01-2013 07:08 AM

It will get easier with each victory and you will find yourself psychologically distancing yourself from such temptations. Way to go!

peanutte 05-01-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

psychologically distancing yourself from such temptations.
Bingo. I don't think enough emphasis is usually given to this aspect of weight management.

We choose which thoughts we cultivate. Dwelling on things and arguing with ourselves about "Should I or shouldn't I? Oh but I want it, I'm craving it, it looks so good, this is unfair, I should be able to have it," just heightens the sense of temptation.

"Food thoughts" can occupy way too much mental space, and the terrible thing is, it's considered normal in our culture. It takes deliberate effort to cultivate psychological distance from food. It gets a lot easier the more often you practice it, like Bella said.

Nice going, Aryn!

llisarray 05-01-2013 07:56 AM

We had my grandsons birthday party last Saturday...CAKE. We had a friends baby shower this Saturday morning...CAKE. My friend had her little boys 1st birthday party Saturday afternoon...CAKE. Then, on Sunday, another friends birthday...CAKE. I didn't eat any !! But it was sooooo hard. And sweets are not my downfall...potatoes, rice, etc, etc, are ! It always helps when you have no appetite though....you did good Princess !

TheSouthernPrincess 05-01-2013 08:41 AM

I'm trying to upload a before and after pic for the 28lbs I've lost so far, but I can only get it to do one at a time. Oh we'll, this is November last year.

TheSouthernPrincess 05-01-2013 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Monday :)28lbs lighter. I dont have a full body shot now, but I can really tell in my face the most anyway :)

TheSouthernPrincess 05-01-2013 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL, there isn't a pic on the first one!! Man, no one would believe I work in tech support as dumb as I am when it comes to uploading pics to this site! Here is the compare pic lol

heahyou00 05-01-2013 10:28 AM

A trick I use to avoid things I shouldnt have is similar to what someone else mentioned. I tell myself that it is covered in mold and has maggots coming out of it, I gross myself out soo bad that I dont want to even touch the stuff lol. It really works!! The mind is a powerful thing and we can convince ourself of all kinds of things :)

Kelly