Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Need another WOE besides Atkins. Ideas?

So it seems Atkins is a bad choice for me. I tried it for 9 weeks, lost nothing but 8lbs of water the first week and I had NO energy. I was NOT able to get "ketoadapted." Also I was painfully constipated all the time. I've never had stomach pains and cramps like this before. Flax muffins helped, but I worry about the effect on my hormones to eat them everyday for regularity. I also discovered a milk allergy in the process, so none of that rich and creamy dairy for me.

But I really like the more stable blood sugar. The lack of constant cravings, lack of bloating and lack of water retention was great. I've been off Atkins for a month and I'm back to all those things, and it's just as miserable as the constipation and lack of energy.

But I was so tired all the time I couldn't work out normally at all. And I genernally spend lots of time doing outdoor recreation. That's why I moved to Colorado! On an Atkins diet (I was eating 30g of carbs a day), I feel like I have to give that up and that's not acceptable. I tried getting more fat, more electrolytes, all that stuff. Didn't work.

I need some compromise where I get enough carbs to have energy and few enough that I'm not always bloated, retaining water and craving bread and sugar all day.

What sounds like a good possibility for me?
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,275
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I'd suggest taking the knowledge you've gained and adapting your own plan.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,186
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think low carb paleo may be a good fit.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Deosil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 218
Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I took all the things I liked from various plans and have been sticking to them.

*I started BPC (Bulletproof coffee) every morning and this has helped with energy levels, cravings, mid-day hunger AND weight loss!
*I eat all Atkins Induction foods for all meals and try to stick to as Paleo nutrition as possible using organic & free range foods. I keep low as possible on the dairy (with the exception of the BPC and occasional cheese) and eat no fruit/nuts as this is not in my Induction foods.
*I use JUDDD for Up day Down Day and IF for my down days (as in I have nothing on DD except BPC and make sure I have enough hours on DD to make it optimally effective.
* I have added into my lifestyle several walks per week and Callanetics along with some light weights.

I really do think the advice given by Dottie is great and very effective. By adapting several plans to something that works for me and that I can stick to and live with, I have created a good environment for me to be successful in this WOE. I will continue to adapt and change my plan as time moves on and situation demands. I think part of my ongoing search for new and interesting WOEs is actually also serving to keep my interest.

Good luck to you whatever plan you choose! Anything that includes better health is a bonus regardless!
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
Knittering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,709
Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I'm really impressed by how much weight you've lost so far. Best of luck to you in finding something that works. I agree with Cathy that low-carb paleo might be a good fit for you. It allows more carbs and excludes dairy.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,549
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I think low carb paleo may be a good fit.
I agree with that. Maybe even eat some fruit and higher carb veggies but avoid grains. If you don't want to give up dairy you can do primal instead, which is essentially paleo plus some types of dairy. Mark's Daily Apple is a good resource for that.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-29-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I agree with that. Maybe even eat some fruit and higher carb veggies but avoid grains. If you don't want to give up dairy you can do primal instead, which is essentially paleo plus some types of dairy. Mark's Daily Apple is a good resource for that.
I love dairy, but I'm VERY intolerant. That has always made paleo seems like an obvious choice to me.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Thanks for the example. Is bulletproof coffee buttered coffee?! And could I use coconut oil instead of butter?

Exercise is the easy part for me... don't laugh... but I hike, mountain bike, ski and lift weights. And I take walks most afternoons, depending on the weather. There's no shortage of exercise.

Food is the hard part, for me. Finding what works for weight loss AND as a way of life. I don't "diet." I hate it. I need something I can do forever. Atkins wasn't it. The gastrointestinal effects were too harsh. The stable blood sugar, again, was just amazing for me though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deosil View Post
I took all the things I liked from various plans and have been sticking to them.

*I started BPC (Bulletproof coffee) every morning and this has helped with energy levels, cravings, mid-day hunger AND weight loss!
*I eat all Atkins Induction foods for all meals and try to stick to as Paleo nutrition as possible using organic & free range foods. I keep low as possible on the dairy (with the exception of the BPC and occasional cheese) and eat no fruit/nuts as this is not in my Induction foods.
*I use JUDDD for Up day Down Day and IF for my down days (as in I have nothing on DD except BPC and make sure I have enough hours on DD to make it optimally effective.
* I have added into my lifestyle several walks per week and Callanetics along with some light weights.

I really do think the advice given by Dottie is great and very effective. By adapting several plans to something that works for me and that I can stick to and live with, I have created a good environment for me to be successful in this WOE. I will continue to adapt and change my plan as time moves on and situation demands. I think part of my ongoing search for new and interesting WOEs is actually also serving to keep my interest.

Good luck to you whatever plan you choose! Anything that includes better health is a bonus regardless!
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Deosil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 218
Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
Bulletproof coffee was originally from a website The Bulletproof Executive and he used Kerrygold unsalted butter and MCT oil. Many people changed that around and use coconut oil, butter (unsalted) or a few different variations. I use coconut oil and unsalted butter in mine with a little splenda or some Torani sugar free syrup. It really is awesome.
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,549
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl30 View Post
I love dairy, but I'm VERY intolerant. That has always made paleo seems like an obvious choice to me.
Missed that, sorry!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
mojocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 729
Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I think JUDDD is without a doubt one of the most user friendly and forgiving WOE's out there and I have tried just about everything. Unfortunately it triggered binges for me personally but even despite that I was able to maintain like a rock. It works brilliantly for many others though.

PS: No constipation whatsoever after the up days - quite the opposite.

Last edited by mojocat; 04-29-2013 at 08:49 PM..
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,392
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Your gastro issues may have been because of the flax muffins. For some people, fiber works the opposite and constipates. I mentioned this to my gastroenterologist, and he told me that he has the same problem--i.e., fiber constipates.

I eat low carb with no grains or dairy--or sweeteners of any kind. My eating is mainly Primal, and you may want to check that out. It's not necessarily low carb (wide range of options), but I stay low carb because I am very carb sensitive. Primal (close to Paleo) focuses on whole foods, simply prepared.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
kiwistars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: new zealand.
Posts: 462
Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
yeah too much has me in agony.Some days one muffin is too much.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Gretalyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 852
Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Paleo. Or maybe one of those plans that's based on the glycemic index/impact of the food rather than total carb count. Those should both be good at helping you stabilize your blood sugar without going strict LC.

Also, you could simply try a higher carb allowance. Maybe 30g per day just wasn't enough for you, but you'd do fine at 60?
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Your gastro issues may have been because of the flax muffins. For some people, fiber works the opposite and constipates. I mentioned this to my gastroenterologist, and he told me that he has the same problem--i.e., fiber constipates.

I eat low carb with no grains or dairy--or sweeteners of any kind. My eating is mainly Primal, and you may want to check that out. It's not necessarily low carb (wide range of options), but I stay low carb because I am very carb sensitive. Primal (close to Paleo) focuses on whole foods, simply prepared.
I don't think it was the flax muffins and if I had too many I'd go more, for sure. It was pretty great, really. I need a moderate amount of fiber. I cannot do low fiber. High fiber, as far as I can tell, doesn't do me good either. I bloat and have the worst gas ever. One flax muffin a day doesn't do that, though.

I didn't start out with the flax muffins, either. I had bad constipation for the first 6 weeks, until I added the flax muffins. They helped. But again, it's a phytoestrogen and I can't deal with soy products for that reason so I can't imagine flax would be any different in the long run.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deosil View Post
Bulletproof coffee was originally from a website The Bulletproof Executive and he used Kerrygold unsalted butter and MCT oil. Many people changed that around and use coconut oil, butter (unsalted) or a few different variations. I use coconut oil and unsalted butter in mine with a little splenda or some Torani sugar free syrup. It really is awesome.
Ok, I'm going to try this!
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I think JUDDD is without a doubt one of the most user friendly and forgiving WOE's out there and I have tried just about everything. Unfortunately it triggered binges for me personally but even despite that I was able to maintain like a rock. It works brilliantly for many others though.

PS: No constipation whatsoever after the up days - quite the opposite.
I'm going to look into that one. I tried "carb cycling" at one point during atkins and I found that I could tolerate a single carb refeed day fine, so long as those carbs had a low glycemic load and weren't grains. I did a carb refeed on Sunday and Monday morning I was back in ketosis, no problem. The day after a refeed day was probably my least hungry day of the week too. So maybe JUDDD wouldn't be bad for me.

But I fear I'm going to have to "detox" back off grains again before I try any other plan. They keep me hungry and I just want to binge all day. I have to go cold turkey.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member
 
mountaingirl30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 36
Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
Paleo. Or maybe one of those plans that's based on the glycemic index/impact of the food rather than total carb count. Those should both be good at helping you stabilize your blood sugar without going strict LC.

Also, you could simply try a higher carb allowance. Maybe 30g per day just wasn't enough for you, but you'd do fine at 60?
I do well following the glycemic index. It does make a difference. I found, by experience, there is a big difference between strawberries and bananas. The first has virtually no impact on blood sugar and the other makes it soar to the point where I'm very dizzy.

It wouldn't be hard to adapt a low GI (not low carb, necessarily) paleo into JUDDD after I detox off the grains again. It might be a good combination for my blood sugar and my energy levels.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 323
Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Yup, definitely would try the polio/primal stuff which is naturally reduced crabs because of lack of grans but has healthy root veggies like sweet potatoes to keep you out of ketosis and the sluggishness. Good luck!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
Gretalyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 852
Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl30 View Post
It wouldn't be hard to adapt a low GI (not low carb, necessarily) paleo into JUDDD after I detox off the grains again. It might be a good combination for my blood sugar and my energy levels.
I'm not familiar with the details of how JUDDD works, but I gather you have some really low-calorie days and some high or normal calorie ones? I've never looked into it, because a big part of the reason I do low-carb is to keep my blood sugar steady, and I don't think that would be a good plan for me. (I have reactive hypoglycemia, and I know that I can't miss even a single meal without negative consequences, so intermittent fasting is out. I assume JUDDD is out too.) But a lot of people here swear by it for weight loss. If you've had blood sugar problems I would just advise caution, maybe ask other JUDDD users how it affects their blood sugar levels. Whatever you decide, good luck! Even if the only thing you take away from Atkins is to avoid sugar, corn syrup, and refined flours, that puts you ahead of most people!
__________________


Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
haferchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 110
Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I suggest reading "The Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress. I have been following her low carb WOE for about 5 months and have seen my blood work improve plus a bonus of weight loss. She is low carb in 3 stages, but not as restrictive as Dr. Atkins.

If nothing else, it's a great read and full of information as to how your body metabolism works.

Good Luck, don't give up!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
Janknitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,217
Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Coconut oil can help with constipation issues, too. Just be sure you gradually work coconut oil into your diet, as too much, too fast will cause the opposite problem.

I third a lower carb Paleo approach. I have reactive hypoglycemia (very common with insulin resistance) and this works the best for me. Eliminating grain and legumes, reducing toxins be eating as "cleanly" as possible (pastured meat, dairy, and eggs, organic veggies, wild fish, limited dairy, and no PUFAS) has made a huge impact on my health.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.