Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   question for flax muffin lovers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/803075-question-flax-muffin-lovers.html)

starryblu 04-29-2013 04:47 PM

question for flax muffin lovers

ok, so i know that flax muffins can really cause some people some problems. slow weight loss or stalling...or the worst....gaining weight back. i sympathize and apologize for bringing up a bad subject for those it has caused problems for. and i apologize as well, if this is a topic that has been discussed before...

as i said, i know they can cause problems. i've done some searching, to see just what sort of different effects they have for people. i, for one, adore them. they fill some sort of need for me. i guess because i have always been a baked-goods sort of gal. i've found all sorts of bad comments about them, but i'm wondering if anyone has anything good to say about them?

i'm curious too as to how much of a good thing (namely, flax muffins) that some of you are able to eat without problems. if it's one or two, i will save them for a treat at the end of the day. if it's three or four or eight (eight...that's a joke, btw) then imma be one happy low carber!!

thanks so much for your input....

smiles~
starry

princessmommy 04-29-2013 04:51 PM

They didn't bother me as in Weight gain Or stalling, But they did cause me intestional distress! Definate laxitive effect for me

Ntombi 04-29-2013 04:53 PM

Lots of people eat flax in many forms with no ill effects. I suspect that you'll find as many positive as negative comments about it.

I'm not eating it right now, as I'm in an extended induction, but I'll add it back sooner or later, maybe before the end of the year. I don't eat a lot of it (I don't love it, but I do like it), but some is fine for me.

DairyQueen 04-29-2013 08:52 PM

i ate flax muffins about 4 years ago, and shelly is right. the Operative word is DISTRESS.

ApplePomme 04-29-2013 10:31 PM

I eat the Muffin In A Minute flax muffins once or twice a week with no ill effects whatsoever. I wouldn't eat one a day and certainly not more than one a day though!

kiwistars 04-30-2013 12:55 AM

my guts hurt all the way through and weight loss stalls a bit.I think they are TOO much fiber.

I am trialling almond flour versions.They are a bit higher in carbs but they taste a bit nicer in my opinion.

lilbeetle 04-30-2013 01:02 AM

I have one for breakfast most mornings and have no problems at all. My DD eats them as well and no problems. My DGS who has IBS eats them with no adverse effects as far as we can tell.

kiwistars 04-30-2013 01:05 AM

mind you I think it may be inherited.
My mum loves low carb and can't eat much insoluble fibre.She tried the brown bread diet in the seventies and just lay on the floor wishing to die :/

Soluble fibre is o.k. like psyllium(the type that gel up)but the bran type fibres...no.

trishthedish 04-30-2013 03:04 PM

At times, I include 2 TBLS of flax in my breakfast. When I eat it, it insures I go to the bathroom every morning without fail! (but in a good way, no distress)

I lose faster on Induction with just meat, cheese, eggs, and light veggies but I still saw weight loss while including flax. I go through phases with it. If you are not stalled, I say enjoy!

Sugarfreebabe 04-30-2013 04:55 PM

I enjoy my microwave flax with no probs.And i make mine taste like gingerbread

clackley 04-30-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe (Post 16402073)
I enjoy my microwave flax with no probs.And i make mine taste like gingerbread

Recipe please???:)

starryblu 04-30-2013 07:18 PM

so much great input! thank you all so much. it really helps to know the experiences that others have had.

i've had a bit of a problem with them causing the dreaded "distress" a few times, but i'm wondering if it's something a person adapts to. i want to think so, because i really enjoy them, and it's definitely nice to have something that helps prevent constipation. so far, so good today.

i think i'm going to give them a try for a bit. it's nice to have something simple that i can make and stick in the freezer. and they are most certainly a big YUM for me.

again, many many thanks