Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Long post - Epiphany and question

Hello low-carbers;
I took a little haitus from low carb and tried JUDDD and then realized I was bingeing on sugar on my up days and then realized that I am not allowed to have sugar while trying to lose weight or change my lifestyle. I re-read Atkins 72 and something popped out at me (Which I recommend people reading the 72 version bc it's a little more motivational than the newer ones). There was one section where he asks us (Dieter) to examine your previous diets, history, family history, etc. Something he mentioned was (and I am not going to reiterate verbatim) but that if you were a chubby baby or overweight prior to the age of 10, you need Atkins more than anything and that you are very sick. And that your metabolism is very sick, etc. It was an eye opener. I have been off and on low carb, and trying to change my mind bc I try to talk myself out of doing low carb bc I can't let go of sugar (my frien-emy). After reading it, it was just something that is non-negotiable. Then I re-read the Readers Digest article about Gary Taubes (It was a Sunday and I was going on a reading frenzy yesterday) and something that stuck out to me was, "Not everyone gets fat from eating carbs. But (some) may be their leanest with the least amount of carbs". I have been a brat about low carbing even though I have had success in the past. I have been kicking and screaming about eating this way and have been envious of friends who don't need to watch their carbs but my epiphany/revelation was that I am different and unfortunately I was cursed with cell receptors that are sensitive to carbs. I must eat this way to get to and maintain a lean weight. Because not everyone gets fat from eating carbs, it has reminded me that I (us) are truly unique and that those who CAN eat carbs and stay skinny are blessed.. and good for them.
Another thing that happened to me yesterday was that I ran into a girl who I had met at church when I was low carbing 5 years ago. She saw me five years ago and asked how I was losing weight. I then e-mailed her my diet and workout routine. I hadn't seen her since then (5 years ago). I saw her at church and she had lost 70 pounds. When I had asked her how she did it, she said, "you were the one who told me how to do it". OMG I had so many mixed emotions. Envy, embarassment, joy. You name it. She was TINY and looked 10 years younger. Her upper arms even had that "line" on the side where it was evident she did a lot of weights. Hourglass figure, you name it. It motivated me even more.
I had to type this out because it has been bottled up inside and I was hoping that people can relate what I am going through. No regret, no more humiliation. It is just something I can do.

Okay, now to my question, I am trying to do a cleaner induction with the specified amount of cheese, cream cheese, hwc, etc but I am not a big veggie eater. Do you think I can up the amount of the cheese, cream cheese, hwc, mayo, etc if I don't eat veggies. I don't like/eat veggies bc I just don't like them. They are okay but if I can eat more fat/protein, I will. Let me know your thoughts and apologies for the long post!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
On the induction, I wouldn't. Stick with the plan. The proteins in dairy can cause an insulin reaction in some people and your trying hard to avoid it. I'd forgo the veggies before replacing them with a lot of dairy.

On the epiphany, it is my belief you are experiencing the effects of a very real sugar addiction. That is not going to go away in a two-week induction, but being aware can help you realize sugar isn't you "frienemy", it is most assuredly your most devious enemy.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I agree. If you don't want to eat many veggies, don't, but don't add more dairy.

Stick to the allowed foods, in the amounts allowed. If you need to weigh and measure for the two weeks, do. Just do it.

You might need a longer induction period too. See how things are at the end of the two weeks, and honestly evaluate your progress, and your feelings. If you need to stay there for a while more, do so.

Good luck! I'm glad you've come to a new understanding.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post
On the induction, I wouldn't. Stick with the plan. The proteins in dairy can cause an insulin reaction in some people and your trying hard to avoid it. I'd forgo the veggies before replacing them with a lot of dairy.

On the epiphany, it is my belief you are experiencing the effects of a very real sugar addiction. That is not going to go away in a two-week induction, but being aware can help you realize sugar isn't you "frienemy", it is most assuredly your most devious enemy.
Thank you! I agree!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I agree. If you don't want to eat many veggies, don't, but don't add more dairy.

Stick to the allowed foods, in the amounts allowed. If you need to weigh and measure for the two weeks, do. Just do it.

You might need a longer induction period too. See how things are at the end of the two weeks, and honestly evaluate your progress, and your feelings. If you need to stay there for a while more, do so.

Good luck! I'm glad you've come to a new understanding.
Thank you! And I will just follow the allotted amounts. By the way, I am in Chino Hills, CA! Not far from you, I think?!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Nope, not far! I'm in Long Beach. neighbor!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Nope, not far! I'm in Long Beach. neighbor!
Neighbor! Small world!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I also agree that you don't need to force veggies but to keep the other foods within the guidelines.

Wonderful that you contributed to your friends health and that now she is paying you back!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I re-read the list and amounts of dairy. And I was WAY overeating cheese, cream cheese, hwc! Yikes
Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
unfortunately I was cursed with cell receptors that are sensitive to carbs.
Cursed or blessed?

I think it is a blessing. LC isn't particularly harder than any other way to lose weight. All diets require some sacrifice - some change in eating habits or activity levels or both. LC *only* requires that you reduce your carb consumption. Compared to the mainstream diet's drawbacks that is amazing. No starving. No need to spend hours at the gym. No meetings. No fees. And for most people it produces results that are nothing short of miraculous. Even if weight loss is slow the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks to 'normal' diet programs.

And the science is very solid that LC is a very healthy way to eat without regard to weight loss.

Those poor people that don't have metabolic syndrome may never be forced to discover LC. They won't have any motivation for really getting rid of most of the carbs from their menu. Instead, when they put on weight they'll be huffing and puffing in the gym, eating boneless skinless baked chicken breast and nasty fat free diet food, battling hunger, feeling like victims about the tribulations they are going through to lose 20 pounds. And if they are the least bit metabolically challenged they may not get any results even with all they put themselves through.

That is the way I feel about it
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Cursed or blessed?

I think it is a blessing. LC isn't particularly harder than any other way to lose weight. All diets require some sacrifice - some change in eating habits or activity levels or both. LC *only* requires that you reduce your carb consumption. Compared to the mainstream diet's drawbacks that is amazing. No starving. No need to spend hours at the gym. No meetings. No fees. And for most people it produces results that are nothing short of miraculous. Even if weight loss is slow the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks to 'normal' diet programs.

And the science is very solid that LC is a very healthy way to eat without regard to weight loss.

Those poor people that don't have metabolic syndrome may never be forced to discover LC. They won't have any motivation for really getting rid of most of the carbs from their menu. Instead, when they put on weight they'll be huffing and puffing in the gym, eating boneless skinless baked chicken breast and nasty fat free diet food, battling hunger, feeling like victims about the tribulations they are going through to lose 20 pounds. And if they are the least bit metabolically challenged they may not get any results even with all they put themselves through.

Thanks for putting in perspective! Makes a lot of sense!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
SchoolPsych I can totally relate. I've been fat since childhood. I've known for several years that LC is the way I should be eating, it's the way my body needs to eat. But it took my husband being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes for a flip to switch in my brain and say "I must eat like this for the rest of my life, it's not a diet, it's not an option". I guess my own PCOS and insulin resistance wasn't enough! Try to get yourself to really *know* that this is a lifetime way of eating, that it's not a diet, and that losing weight is not the most important thing - your health is the most important thing.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Cursed or blessed?

Love this! I think carbs (especially grains and sugar) are responsible for many health problems that people have, regardless of a person's weight, and very few people want to acknowledge it.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Quote:
And if they are the least bit metabolically challenged they may not get any results even with all they put themselves through.
What's worse, if they can handle the constant insulin rushes, is they may be slowly killing themselves through atherosclerosis that they aren't even aware of. I would have been fat with heart disease; many are skinny with it, so nobody has any clue until they have a massive heart attack.

Blessing, indeed!
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I had to type this out because it has been bottled up inside and I was hoping that people can relate what I am going through. No regret, no more humiliation. It is just something I can do.
I think you've been very honest with yourself about your "bratty" feelings, feeling envious of others who don't "have to" eat the way you need to, etc. That's a good place to start, truly. I liked how you said you are now viewing this as non-negotiable, because ultimately it doesn't matter if other people do or don't have the same obstacles or circumstances or starting weights; we have to play the cards we've been dealt. You seem to be accepting this, and it's so important. Good for you.

I think it sounds like your encounter with that friend was a wake-up call, in a way. Yes, you felt some unpleasant emotions, but then again you were also inspired by her.

Even if you don't think you like vegetables very much, I wouldn't add more dairy if I were you. I understand that not everybody is a veggie lover, but I'd encourage you to try some new things. I now love a lot of the same vegetables I grew up thinking I hated because my mom overcooked them and slathered them with so much butter and salt, and I didn't know how things like asparagus or broccoli really tasted or what the texture was supposed to be. And even if you're not a big fan of leafy green salads, you can try things like cucumbers and radishes on the side for a little fresh crunchy garnish. (I'd never tried jicama before low-carb and it's great--sort of like a non-sweet juicy apple in texture.)

Also, trying different olive oils can open up a whole new world of flavors. A lot of supermarket olive oils are pretty terrible, so people don't think they like olive oil but they really haven't explored any good ones. There are olive oils infused with lemon, garlic, and all kinds of herbs.

Adding a little spice to veggies can help too, like nutmeg or paprika (or even cinnamon) on sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, cumin and cayenne on roasted cauliflower, lemon and garlic for sturdy greens like chard or kale. If you're willing to try just a few new types of veggies a month, I bet you will find some things you like.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I had a similar epiphany about 5 days ago. 5 days binge free! I upped the fats instead. I did eat cheese the first few days but dropped them. Some cheeses would cause cravings. Parmesan did. Cheddar didn't. But just decided to do meat, egg, fish mostly. I don't do veggies either currently.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
I hear you!

I'm also VERY carb intolerant and a bread/sugar addict. Staying away from all grains and sugars (except for occasional berries) is the only way I can handle it. It's a choice we have, but personally, I choose to be as healthy as possible (I'm pushing 60 now) and wish that the internet and all of the advice and support had been around many years ago.

I've been on and off Atkins for decades, but could never quite stick to it. For me, I think the reason is that you can gradually add back in some carbs and I'd always blow it at that point. I've had to resign myself to the fact that I will not be eating potatoes or bread. Period. End of story. Doesn't matter how many carbs may be in foods like that, my body goes nuts and they start my cravings up.

The secret for my body was learning to eat more good fats....for some reason my body is thriving on a ketogenic diet. While I still have health issues to deal with, eating in a ketogenic style has helped me immensely and it gives me the energy to get through my day and deal with other issues. I feel best if I keep my protein to about 40-60 grams and my fat percentage high (about 85%). Doing this, my blood sugar is very good and stable and I stay in a ketogenic range of about 1.0 to 2.0.

Learning to keep my protein levels more moderate and dairy down was a big key for me...because I'm severely insulin resistant, my weight loss has been very slow but over the past 15 months I've lost 90 lbs.

I also went through quite a mourning period for carbs, and I really resented not being able to eat them. But what was my choice? Dying like my father did from T2 with heart problems and strokes...losing his legs....having to do insulin (and he was strictly following the ADA diet!). No thanks. I'd rather cry and mourn the loss of bread and sweets than go blind (like my grandmother) or lose limbs (like my father) from T2. It's a choice that I'm willing to make in order to get healthy and stay that way.

Hang in there...this lifestyle does become easier with time!

Weezy
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote