Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   BPC and acne? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/803069-bpc-acne.html)

Deosil 04-29-2013 01:49 PM

BPC and acne?

I have never really had an issue with acne. Sure, I get the occasional bump but not like what I have been getting lately. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my BPC everyday and have seen a big difference in energy levels and just all positives in general.

Since starting Bullet Proof coffee everyday over the last week and a half, I have been getting increasingly bad "acne". It is the sort that is really below the skin and almost painful to touch. I have at least 13 red spots on my face right now which is really distressing. I did a search here and could find nothing about this so figured I would make a post and ask if anyone else is having this issue and what, if anything, has been able to stop it form happening? I have started washing with Cetaphil but I only seem to get more each day. My hope is that it will stop soon. I really don't want to give up the BPC but if this continues I may have to.

raindroproses 04-29-2013 01:56 PM

Try cleansing your face with a toner made from 1 part Braggs ACV and 3 parts water. I find that this has been helping to clear up my skin really nicely! Staying really well hydrated is important too and try to limit the cosmetics and creams you put on your face if you can... I only put the ACV toner, water, and coconut oil on my face now and pretty much all of my acne is GONE!

My only thoughts are that you could be sensitive to caffeine, or perhaps if you're using a lot of dairy you could try cutting the amount down? For me, BPC (or in my case tea) hasn't done anything to break me out and I have EXTREMELY acne prone skin. My skin has gotten much better since starting LC and since starting the all natural skin regimen :)

Janknitz 04-29-2013 02:42 PM

Some people have inflammatory responses to dairy (butter) or to coconut (oil). You might try eliminating these one at a time from your BPC to see which one it may be.

reddarin 04-29-2013 02:48 PM

I use straight Bragg's organic ACV with a q-tip to treat the occasional acne I get. Works like a charm and usually clears it up within a day or two.

If the skin is broken it'll sting like the dickens.

dawnyama 04-29-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deosil (Post 16399903)
I have never really had an issue with acne. Sure, I get the occasional bump but not like what I have been getting lately. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my BPC everyday and have seen a big difference in energy levels and just all positives in general.

Since starting Bullet Proof coffee everyday over the last week and a half, I have been getting increasingly bad "acne". It is the sort that is really below the skin and almost painful to touch. I have at least 13 red spots on my face right now which is really distressing. I did a search here and could find nothing about this so figured I would make a post and ask if anyone else is having this issue and what, if anything, has been able to stop it form happening? I have started washing with Cetaphil but I only seem to get more each day. My hope is that it will stop soon. I really don't want to give up the BPC but if this continues I may have to.

Are you using coconut oil in your coffee? I know that when I stop using the coconut oil for a bit and then start up again, I get acne. It is a detox. Just keep using it, and you will see it will go away. No worries. Unless you have been using coconut oil ALL along before having the BPC.

Deosil 04-29-2013 03:29 PM

Thank you for the responses. I have never had any issues with coffee other than needing to control my 3+ pot a day habit over the years. Dairy has never been a problem either as I used to be (before LC) a voracious consumer of milk, cheese, yoghurt, ice cream and all things dairy throughout my life. Coconut oil, however, is new to me and *may* be the issue although regular coconut was never a problem, especially the coconut in Pina Coladas. :P lol I also have never been a user of foundation and keep my skin fairly clean and free of cosmetics. I generally only use eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss. It is really rare for me to use more than that and only if I am going out somewhere special. I have never HAD to use much since my skin is pretty clear normally.

I have not heard of using ACV before in this manner but I am certainly willing to try it out. I guess I need to use specific organic ACV and not stuff from the grocery store?

Deosil 04-29-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16400043)
Are you using coconut oil in your coffee? I know that when I stop using the coconut oil for a bit and then start up again, I get acne. It is a detox. Just keep using it, and you will see it will go away. No worries. Unless you have been using coconut oil ALL along before having the BPC.

Ahhh! That is GOOD NEWS!! Yes, the coconut oil is very new to me. I only started using it last week when I started the BPC. I am SO GLAD to hear this should be temporary. I will use the ACV as recommended in the meantime and cross my fingers the detox is over fast!

Thank you all SO MUCH!! <3

reddarin 04-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deosil (Post 16400047)
I have not heard of using ACV before in this manner but I am certainly willing to try it out. I guess I need to use specific organic ACV and not stuff from the grocery store?

You need the kind with the 'mother' in it which is only organic I think. Try to find it at a regular store - the health food stores are an arm and a leg. Wal-Mart has started carrying Bragg's around here.

If you aren't drinking it the bottle will last a long, long time.I have a 16oz bottle that I got at least 6 or 8 months ago and it is still 1/3 full and I've given a little bit of it away for skin problems to other people. It is a great homeopathic remedy for warts.

dawnyama 04-29-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deosil (Post 16400048)
Ahhh! That is GOOD NEWS!! Yes, the coconut oil is very new to me. I only started using it last week when I started the BPC. I am SO GLAD to hear this should be temporary. I will use the ACV as recommended in the meantime and cross my fingers the detox is over fast!

Thank you all SO MUCH!! <3

No problems. I also use coconut oil on my face as my moisturizer. I use it, then quit, then pick it back up. Once I get back to it, the bumps show up. I should learn to not stop using it, but no.......definitely a detox reaction if you are new to the coconut oil. Some have tummy issues, others have acne like bumps, others have a sore throat. It is all a detox reaction and will go away IF you keep using it :up:

Deosil 04-29-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16400071)
You need the kind with the 'mother' in it which is only organic I think. Try to find it at a regular store - the health food stores are an arm and a leg. Wal-Mart has started carrying Bragg's around here.

I read a bit on this "mother" you speak of and understand a little more now. I will check our Wal-Mart here in Canada but we don't have nearly the amount of different things that you tend to have in the USA. If they don't have any I will have to check our local Nutrition House or GNC.

@Dawnyama I may try the coconut oil as a moisturizer also. I wonder if it would actually speed up the process of detox if I were using it both inside (BPC) and out (topical)?

Thanks again for all the input!

CTH 04-29-2013 10:34 PM

Why use coconut oil? The recipe for BPC from the inventor is MCT oil and grass fed butter. Start with 15g per cup per day then work your way up to 30g as your system tolerates it.

dawnyama 04-30-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTH (Post 16400628)
Why use coconut oil? The recipe for BPC from the inventor is MCT oil and grass fed butter. Start with 15g per cup per day then work your way up to 30g as your system tolerates it.

Do you know where the MCT oil comes from? It is coconut oil. So some here use the coconut oil since it is easier to find that than the MCT oil.

CTH 04-30-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16401871)
Do you know where the MCT oil comes from? It is coconut oil. So some here use the coconut oil since it is easier to find that than the MCT oil.

Yes I know where it comes from (and I don't have 21k posts). But if the "other" ingredients in the coconut may be the culprit then why not try the MCT?