LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/nursing baby #3 183/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
Best way to restart?

After many years of off again on again behavior, I am frustrated with myself. I have been working a spirtual angle with a 12 step to address the self flagellation and negativity with great success so now I am ready to have my higher power help me eat they way I was meant to. I am just looking for what has worked for others to get back into the game. I've always wondered what makes the difference?
Rainypep is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Good question. You are probably talking about "big things," but I found it helpful to take a couple of days vacation so I could really focus on getting my head and my cupboard a bit in order. It was also the end of winter, and I think the longer days and warmer weather help me feel psychologically that the time was now.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I think what made the difference this time for me was making the mental commitment that this isn't a diet. I convinced myself that this new way of eating is permanent and I can never go back to my old way of eating. Previous attempts with Atkins were always treated as temporary diets to lose weight and I would quickly revert back to my old ways and gain it all back. This time I made a decision to stick with it for life and I plan to slowly add more carbs once I reach my goal weight. I now enjoy this way of eating and I don't stress as much over the things I can't have. I've had a few meals off plan but I limited it to the one meal and immediately returned to my LC way of eating. I also get the occasional craving for off plan foods, but I can usually find a LC alternative. I also find this forum very helpul for keeping me motivated and focused. Good luck!

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
just start doing the diet. just remember every journey starts with a single step
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
For me, it was knowledge. Reading books: God Calories, Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat; Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Foods, Obesity and Disease; Salt, Sugar, Fat. Reading a bunch of medical studies and blogs. Researching the impacts of various types of food. Etc.

I know my family gets sick of, "wow, did you know...", but each one of those nuggets of knowledge has become a brick in the foundation of my WOE.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Me Personally I Know without a doubt I couldn't do this without Gods help! So I give Him all the Praise.
For me this is How I eat now. Not just to lose the weight But to feel better and have more energy etc. So I say start Now! Clear out all the junk and replace it with Good natural foods. Eggs, bacon, salad fixins, chicken etc. I couldn't get rid of 100% of the junk cause my Hubs would throw a fit (just kidding) but the higher carb stuff I kept for him and the kids Is stuff I don't like anyway so i'm not tempted. But saying that too i've slowly replaced their hc stuff with lower carb stuff they Do like.
Jump in whole heartedly and if/when you need support we are All here for you!
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*

Starting Again! Lost 67 lbs then gained a lot back
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
I did the original atkins years ago and my husband decided he wanted to do the New Atkins, so we read the book. Then got rid of the food we did not need here(I have kept some basic staples for when i have to cook for friends, family, grandkids. Altho try to cook mainly lc when they are here too now). Stocked lc foods and snacks and started this WOE. Have been doing it since last June. My husband started losing right away, not me. Mine has come off very slowly, but i made up my mind that if i stayed on the plan i would eventually see results. It has been slow, but i am down 30-35lbs. My husband took off 30,then he got off plan during the holidays. Gained it all back and has recently gotten back on and is now back down where he was before the holidays. So for me it has been preparation, determination,persistence and prayer. Finding this forum has been tremendously helpful for me also. Hope your restart goes great!!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post
For me, it was knowledge. Reading books: God Calories, Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat; Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Foods, Obesity and Disease; Salt, Sugar, Fat. Reading a bunch of medical studies and blogs. Researching the impacts of various types of food. Etc.

I know my family gets sick of, "wow, did you know...", but each one of those nuggets of knowledge has become a brick in the foundation of my WOE.
It was the same for me -- except I didn't read nearly that many books or medical studies. I read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" and Dr. Davis' "Wheat Belly." These books helped me see just how bad grains and sugars are for me. Now, I would no more eat wheat or sugar as I would smoke a cigarette. I know that sounds extreme, but I really have come to see these things as very detrimental to my health. I also realized that I could sneak a fry or a candy bar here or there, but really the only person I'm hurting is myself.

I just have a completely different mind-set this time around, and I attribute it to those books. I'm down just over 55 lbs since the end of July, and I have just reached my first plateau. I'm not worried. I know (I just KNOW) that I will see this journey through and reach my goal weight.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1972 View Post
I think what made the difference this time for me was making the mental commitment that this isn't a diet. I convinced myself that this new way of eating is permanent and I can never go back to my old way of eating. Previous attempts with Atkins were always treated as temporary diets to lose weight and I would quickly revert back to my old ways and gain it all back. This time I made a decision to stick with it for life and I plan to slowly add more carbs once I reach my goal weight. I now enjoy this way of eating and I don't stress as much over the things I can't have. I've had a few meals off plan but I limited it to the one meal and immediately returned to my LC way of eating. I also get the occasional craving for off plan foods, but I can usually find a LC alternative. I also find this forum very helpul for keeping me motivated and focused. Good luck!

For me, this time it was about health, rather than weight loss. I am committed to this WOE for life, it is not a diet. It's a mental thing, really. I am very happy I'm losing weight, but that's not my primary motivator at this point in my life.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I agree with so many other posters that looking at LC as a road toward HEALTH and feeling good, not just weight loss/looking better, was my main motivator this time around.. I too read several of the books mentioned (in fact, Gary Taubes's, "Why We Get Fat," sparked my "ah ha" moment). Recently, I found myself getting kinda lax with my diet after making goal last year, and I'm now up several pounds and feeling kinda crappy. I just picked up "Life Without Bread" and found it so fascinating, since it is geared toward the premise of a high carb diet as the root of many, many health complaints. The weight loss aspect is mentioned only briefly, and mainly as a side effect to eating a controlled carb diet to improve and sustain health. It was enlightening to me that the authors actually allow up to 72 grams of carbs per day, and encourage unlimited consumption of meats,cheese, fats and LC veggies. The docs do stress eating just 'til satisfied and point out that fat helps with satiation. They address several theories and observations based on their own practices that I found fascinating, including easing into LC, rather than going VLC cold turkey, so to speak. For many people, including me at the start, a more gradual approach to LC was helpful.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/nursing baby #3 183/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
Thanks to everyone for the tips. See the reason I was having such a hard time is that no amount of knowledge was helping my change my lifestyle. I've read and own all the books and it didn't help me get up in the morning and eat the right things. I was spending in inordinate amount of time planning and beating myself up, but still not eating well. I lost about 90 pounds 5 years ago before the birth of my kids, and I am still not near my all time high, but to say my eating/thinking/food obsession and negative self talk is dysfunctional is putting it mildly. So I am using the 12 step program to help with the mental/spiritual side and now that I am receiving so much healing there, it is time to let God help me meal by meal do the right thing for my body.
Rainypep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Just like any addiction, whether tobacco, alcohol, gambling or drugs, sugar is a beast to overcome. Not everybody is addicted to it, but those who are can't simply "flip a switch" and expect things to work. Treating as an addiction, surrendering to your Higher Power and making sure you've got a good sponsor who will guide you can make all the difference.

In the case of addiction, knowledge never was power. But it doesn't hurt.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote