Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Got my Julian Bakery Bread and it's... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802996-got-my-julian-bakery-bread-its.html)

Blue Skies 04-28-2013 09:28 AM

Got my Julian Bakery Bread and it's...

every bit as bad as many said it was. I posted a week or so ago that I'd given in and paid the price, and got lots of warnings here. Then I went on line and found scads of bad reviews, but some felt those were mostly about their net zero carb bread---which they recently changed the recipe for.

I got the coconut paleo bread, and they must have changed the recipe on this one too because this hunk of---don't know exactly what to call it, but it's not bread as anyone knows it ---would never have earned them the name they clearly once had for making low carb bread.

I found it literally un-swalloable. You chew and chew and it really is like a sponge that just keeps popping back up in your mouth. Terrible is perhaps too kind of a word.

So I'm out some money but posters here pointed me to some other alternatives that may be a few grams higher in carbs, but they taste like bread. So thanks you guys, at least this experience wasn't without a silver lining.

By writing this "review" I'm hoping other's won't waste their money.

Mistizoom 04-28-2013 10:19 AM

Sorry you're disappointed. I still have half a loaf the coconut paleo bread sitting in the freezer. Today I made some of buttoni's new foccacia bread and it was very tasty, if you have any interest in making your own.

ncgirl 04-28-2013 10:37 AM

You might also want to try breaking it into pieces and using if for croutons - I do that sometimes (I actually like it, but I toast it - I don't use it for sandwich bread). Sorry for your disappointment!!

Sugarfreebabe 04-28-2013 12:23 PM

Why dont you just buy the bread slice mold and make microwave flax bread.It taste just like wheat bread i use this for my tuna sandwiches and it taste just like the real thing.

Gibbs 04-28-2013 12:32 PM

Last time I bought low carb bread, it was at Wal-Mart! $2.50-ish a loaf and 4 or 5 carbs a slice. I don't remember the brand. And it was AWESOME!

Blue Skies 04-28-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16398185)
Sorry you're disappointed. I still have half a loaf the coconut paleo bread sitting in the freezer. Today I made some of buttoni's new foccacia bread and it was very tasty, if you have any interest in making your own.

This sounds great! Thanks, Misti. But SIGH, two MORE ingredients I need to get. LOL, my husband is starting to go crazy trying to find places for all this stuff in our kitchen---which used to be his domain, until I started this woe. He's trying to be a good sport, but having me and all my low carb stuff rattling away in his beloved cook's paradise is challenging for him.

Still, this sure does sound good, and the pictures look very good. I put it in my growing low carb recipes to try folder.

ENDZONE 04-28-2013 12:49 PM

bump

Blue Skies 04-28-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe (Post 16398317)
Why dont you just buy the bread slice mold and make microwave flax bread.It taste just like wheat bread i use this for my tuna sandwiches and it taste just like the real thing.
low carb flax Bread - YouTube

Interesting, thanks. Sure looks easy enough. My husband makes a flax bread in our bread machine that I'm Ok with. I'm not crazy for the taste of flax but it's not bad toasted and buttered.

Sugarfreebabe 04-28-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16398347)
Interesting, thanks. Sure looks easy enough. My husband makes a flax bread in our bread machine that I'm Ok with. I'm not crazy for the taste of flax but it's not bad toasted and buttered.

Please try this version and see how you like.It taste nothing like flax when in the microwave.I also think the kind of flax is important i use bob's golden organix flax it taste so nutty and moist flavored lol

raindroproses 04-28-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Wow, that's fantastic! Anyone know how many carbs (total) are in that recipe? I know someone asked her about calories but she said she wasn't sure... I've never made a flax bread before, but the sandwich molds look awesome for that :)

Sugarfreebabe 04-28-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16398382)
Wow, that's fantastic! Anyone know how many carbs (total) are in that recipe? I know someone asked her about calories but she said she wasn't sure... I've never made a flax bread before, but the sandwich molds look awesome for that :)

There are no carbs in flax.

Well they are but its negative because its all fiber.It keeps your insides cleaned too:up:

kiwistars 04-28-2013 02:13 PM

for NK I think it is about 80% fat too.

kiwistars 04-28-2013 02:14 PM

it is a lot of carbs overall but they are really true fibre.The only slows this has caused for me is ...umm...too much fibre if you get my drift?

lots of water and magnesium usually fixes that though :)

raindroproses 04-28-2013 02:32 PM

I don't deduct fiber though, so there are carbs in it for me. NK doesn't deduct fiber... we count total carbs, so that's why I was wondering how much was in this particular recipe :p

CindyCRNA 04-28-2013 03:43 PM

See, I loved their 12 grain and Wonderful bread as well as their sour dough but only toasted. I have not had the bread you speak of. I quit buying because the postage got out of hand.

Sugarfreebabe 04-28-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16398482)
I don't deduct fiber though, so there are carbs in it for me. NK doesn't deduct fiber... we count total carbs, so that's why I was wondering how much was in this particular recipe :p

only 4 carbs

raindroproses 04-28-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe (Post 16398691)
only 4 carbs

Wow, not bad at all then! I'll have to work that into my maintenance plans :) Thanks for that... I don't use flax normally, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the correct nutritional value of it :o

rubidoux 04-28-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

I'd feel a little weird about nuking that plastic container. There is a glasslock container that's probably just a little bit larger and doesn't have the same shaping, just square. But it would probably work fine.

I gotta say, though, that I am not even remotely interested in having anything toast-like in my life. I feel like, for me, that's just asking for trouble. And I'm still mad at toast for all the heartbreak it has caused me. :o

watcher513 04-29-2013 05:01 AM

I definitely wouldn't start out with 4 T of flax a day either. That's just asking for intestinal trouble. Need to work up slowly.

Adding 1/2 almond meal (if not nut sensitive or allergic) would work very well too and help with flavor if you don't like all flax.

Knittering 04-29-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

I'd feel a little weird about nuking that plastic container.
MTE. I don't think it's a good idea to nuke your food in plastic.

raindroproses 04-29-2013 10:03 PM

My question is, how in the heck is she getting 4 carbs and 4 grams of fiber in that quantity of flaxseed? I'm pretty sure that's got to be wrong. 2T of flaxseed on the back of my bag says 11g of carbs and 9g of fiber in 3T... so there's no way that measurement can be correct :dunno:

raindroproses 04-30-2013 04:05 PM

For those who were nervous about microwaving plastic, the ones I found at the store were listed as being BPA free so I don't know if that alleviates anyone's fears. I'd feel comfortable enough using BPA free ones myself :)

Knittering 04-30-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

For those who were nervous about microwaving plastic, the ones I found at the store were listed as being BPA free so I don't know if that alleviates anyone's fears. I'd feel comfortable enough using BPA free ones myself
Oh, good. I don't want you poisoning yourself in your quest for healthy bread-like substance! :high5:
Hopefully it will turn out way better than Julian's junk.

Trillex 04-30-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16398846)
I'm still mad at toast for all the heartbreak it has caused me. :o

I totally HEART you, Jayne! You're a happy pill!