Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I should have.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802949-i-should-have.html)

Gibbs 04-27-2013 08:36 AM

I should have....

Why didn't I measure myself before re-starting? :dunno: It would be nice to know how many inches I've lost. I'm guessing between 2-3 around the waist, closer to 3 around the boobies :annoyed: Even the tush has shrank! Shrunk? Shrinked! :hyst:

I do have the measurements from the last time I was this size. :o

Who else is keeping track of the inches gone?

jazills 04-27-2013 08:59 AM

From recommendations of another poster here I measure monthly and weigh daily. My next measure is tomorrow..I started measuring March 28th after I found the recommendation. I can't wait to see the numbers :D

princessmommy 04-27-2013 09:16 AM

I do. I haven't measured in awhile though

Sugarfreebabe 04-27-2013 09:17 AM

Im afraid of measuring it would make me too anxious.

DiamondDeb 04-27-2013 09:44 AM

I've got measurements. It is nice to see them shrinking.

The scale is useless when it comes to fat loss. I don't care about the number on the scale. It is just weight at any given moment. It drives me nuts how most people think it is the one and only indicator of their success or failure when it has nothing to do with anything.

A&F 04-27-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe (Post 16396698)
Im afraid of measuring it would make me too anxious.

:welcome:

Welcome, and good luck on your journey!

Many here, both first timers and re-starters, will say just what the OP is saying, that they wish they had taken starting measurements. Even if you don't like what the numbers say, they can be a very helpful way to track your loss, especially if the numbers on the scale stop moving for awhile.

As a re-starter, I am glad that I am taking weekly measurements this time. When the numbers on the scale aren't moving or are moving slowly it has been good to see that there is still physical progress. Especially since we see ourselves every day and may not notice the changes.

The advice I'm going to add to measuring on a consistent basis, whether it be once a week or once a month, is to also take photos when you do so. Again, you may not notice the change on a daily, or even weekly basis, but long term you might appreciate having the reminder of how far you have come in your journey.

I wish I had started taking photos when I restarted.

Again, welcome! I hope you find this community as wonderful, informative and supportive as I have.

:welcome:

A&F 04-27-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbs (Post 16396629)
Why didn't I measure myself before re-starting? :dunno: It would be nice to know how many inches I've lost. I'm guessing between 2-3 around the waist, closer to 3 around the boobies :annoyed: Even the tush has shrank! Shrunk? Shrinked! :hyst:

I do have the measurements from the last time I was this size. :o

Who else is keeping track of the inches gone?

I started measuring weekly about a month and half ago (about a month and half after I re-started). I'm really glad I did. What I wish I had started doing in addition to that was taking a weekly photo. I have no photo of my "start point" and I wish I did. Going to start this week though.

DiamondDeb 04-27-2013 10:05 AM

BTW - you should measure EVERYTHING you can think of. The more places you measure the more inches you'll see that you are losing.

debstin 04-27-2013 10:57 AM

I wish i had measured when i started, i think that would be encouraging to see those results.

Gibbs 04-27-2013 11:10 AM

I do have photos, only from joining an on-line bet, photos required. And you can see a difference! And when I did measure a long while ago, I measured around 8 different areas. I'll have to find those numbers and start from there, although I did start at about 15 pounds more, close enough.

Mistizoom 04-27-2013 03:42 PM

I weigh daily and measure every 3-4 weeks. Somehow though in the past 3 weeks I've gained an inch in the hips even though I have lost almost 6 pounds in the same time. :dunno: I've lost a half-inch on my waist in the same period. So I do find value in both weight and measurements.

DiamondDeb 04-27-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16397207)
I weigh daily and measure every 3-4 weeks. Somehow though in the past 3 weeks I've gained an inch in the hips even though I have lost almost 6 pounds in the same time. :dunno: I've lost a half-inch on my waist in the same period. So I do find value in both weight and measurements.

I have found that sometimes measurements go up right before they go down.

My calves always increase in size a bit, then shortly after that they shrink taking the increase plus some. It has gotten so seeing an increase makes me happy because I know it means they will be shrinking soon. :laugh:

Ntombi 04-27-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazills (Post 16396671)
From recommendations of another poster here I measure monthly and weigh daily. My next measure is tomorrow..I started measuring March 28th after I found the recommendation. I can't wait to see the numbers :D

:hiya: Probably me, since that's my schedule. I think we were posting about it around then.

I measure on the 5th of every month. Even when I haven't lost any scale weight from month to month, I've always lost inches.

I only measure a few places, but everyone's different with that. I measure neck, chest (directly under breasts), waist (natural), hips, right thigh, right calf, right forearm, right upper arm. It works for me.

jazills 04-28-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16397712)
:hiya: Probably me, since that's my schedule. I think we were posting about it around then.

I measure on the 5th of every month. Even when I haven't lost any scale weight from month to month, I've always lost inches.

I only measure a few places, but everyone's different with that. I measure neck, chest (directly under breasts), waist (natural), hips, right thigh, right calf, right forearm, right upper arm. It works for me.

Yep it was you! Great motivator it is for me :D