LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
Discovered Food Days At Work Are Not Fun

Had our staff meeting and Hawaiin food day. Nothing there i could eat except what i brought and it was not fun seeing and smelling all of that at noon and all afternoon. They have decided to do monthly meeting and food day. Anyone else do this at work and how do you handle it? I think it would be easier for me to just take my own food and not participate in the food thing, but that would prob be conceived as rude.........
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
We occasionally have potlucks or special food days at work. Usually the only thing I can eat is whatever I bring. If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't participate. Not because I'd be tempted by all the other foods (I'm not tempted) but because there just isn't anything for me to eat. And, I get tired of having to say "sorry, I can't eat that" or something along those lines all the time.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I generally don't participate if it is just about eating food. If it is food & other activities I participate but don't eat the junk they have.

I also do not make junk to bring for them to eat. They aren't going to make healthy food for me, are they? lol... I do not for a second think it is rude & never feel any guilt about it.

It does not bother me at all. I could eat the junk if I wanted to. I choose not to.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 04-26-2013 at 09:02 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I would probably just bring something that required the least amount of money and work... and bring my own lunch to eat. If there was anything I could actually eat, I'd consider it a bonus. Offer to bring several 2 liter bottles of diet sodas or be the one who brings paper plates and silverware.

Hawaiian food is VERY carb focused, rice, macaroni salad, pinapples, teriyaki sauce gooping up the meats... you might have an easier time with other food themes.

Last edited by Strawberry; 04-26-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
Hawaiian day? I would have fried up a bunch of spam and had a grand old time!!

Seriously, if they are having a meeting at the same time is it even an option for you to opt out? I would think that there would be work-related stuff you would be needed for. Just go and eat what fits your plan. Make sure that you bring something you can eat just in case everyone else brings carby stuff.

It's not rude to refuse to eat stuff that impacts your health in a negative manner. And it is true that other themes might be much easier for you.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 325/318/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
I can relate. Work has them maybe once a month or so. Goooood food, but not for me. I do make a low-carb dish, last time was Linda Sue's deep dish pizza. They loved it! But I don't bring anything in just for them. If they won't eat what I bring, it leaves more left-overs for me
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
We have a group of friends that usually eat Sunday lunch together. Once a month we have a potluck and most of the dishes are always high carb. I take something I can eat and count it a blessingif there is one or two other choices available.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I would also opt out of the food portion if you can, or bring something LC friendly to assure that there's SOMETHING there for you and then also pack your own lunch/snacks to go with it. It's not rude to refuse to eat something because of health reasons... and hey, aren't all of our weight loss journeys for health reasons? Exactly!

Think of it this way... if you were allergic to nuts, would you feel rude because you had to refuse a treat that contained them? Or (if you're not already) imagine you were gluten intolerant and eating it made you violently ill... would you feel rude if you had to decline to eat baked goods from someone in that case?

You really don't owe anyone an explanation, but if you feel like you absolutely NEED to say anything about it because you can't shake the feeling that people think you're trying to snub their food, or if you get approached about it... simply say that you have a food sensitivity and can't eat those things. They'll make you sick. End of story

I really doubt anyone would mind if you opted out though, or at least only ate your own foods... I used to do this all the time when I wasn't even LC and people would bring things I didn't like. No one ever approached me about it, and I went on my merry way eating what I wanted!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Another strategy could be to bring your food , fat bomb to make you really feel full and then carry around a smeared plate that still has a piece of pineapple on it ( or whatever the flavour of the day is.
Discussion
"Have some more ?"
" Noooh, I could not possibly ,even this pineapple is too much for me already..."

The latter is true for your circumstances and your conversation partner will just assume you have eaten too much already.
Now all bets are off if that piece of pineapple tempts you...
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
They called my offering at one of those carry-ins "low carb crap".
That was the last time I participated.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I work in a school that offers English language classes to adult non-English speakers. This means we have students from all over the world and they love nothing more than to bring in delicious foods from their culture to share with the staff. On a weekly basis the are trays and trays of homemade, authentic foods from every part of the world (Asian, Latin, Eastern European, Russian, Middle Eastern, etc.).

If it wasn't enough to get past the wonderful sights and smells, I get the extra added guilt of a wide eyed student saying, "I make for you. From my country. You try."

Then the trays get left in the staff lounge for everyone to eat throughout the day and since my office is adjoined to the staff lounge, I hear the teachers oohing and aahing over the food. The last hurdle of the day is when the staff chimes in that, 'This is a rare treat from <insert country>... It would be a shame for you not to at least taste it.'

You have to put your health first. I doubt your co-workers will be as hurt as my students. Yet still, I cannot sacrifice my health to please them.

A funny thing happened after a few refusals... A few students actually brought me foods and said, "No sugar. Healthy."
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyann11 View Post
Hawaiian day? I would have fried up a bunch of spam and had a grand old time!!

Seriously, if they are having a meeting at the same time is it even an option for you to opt out? I would think that there would be work-related stuff you would be needed for. Just go and eat what fits your plan. Make sure that you bring something you can eat just in case everyone else brings carby stuff.

It's not rude to refuse to eat stuff that impacts your health in a negative manner. And it is true that other themes might be much easier for you.
You just opt out of the food part.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Wow, how rude! I don't blame you for stopping... geez
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I bring a salad to these things with homemade (low carb) dressing that fits the theme in some way. Sometimes I'm the only one who eats it but more often than not other people eat some too. There are usually a few who appreciate some greens.

Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
"I feel ya" as the kids say. LOL
I'm currently in NY visiting family and everyone wants to make a nice dinner which is sweet. Or we go out to nice restaurants. I have found during past visits that getting up to 'stretch my legs' or some such when desert was coming helped me avoid tempation Y'know the well meaning phrase that spells doom for dieters "Oh just take a bite it won't kill you" LOL
Now, though my family is pretty much on board with my lc woe and try to have alternatives...if not I find that a cup of coffee with a heavy dollop of hwc or if necessary half and half will tide me ove.
I gotta tell ya...that quiet sense of pride in myself from resisting the garbage i.e. sugary confections is more satisfying than the prettiest desert could ever be.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
I get the extra added guilt of a wide eyed student saying, "I make for you. From my country. You try."
Awwwww... I would have a really hard time refusing that too... just because I would want to show appreciation for their culture. I would probably have to take at least one bite to "thank" them.... but boy, that could add up!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Awwwww... I would have a really hard time refusing that too... just because I would want to show appreciation for their culture. I would probably have to take at least one bite to "thank" them.... but boy, that could add up!
I know, it's tough. It is a daily thing and I am a recovering binge eater, so just a bite here and there is not a possibility for me.

I look them in the eye, thank them profusely, tell them how much I appreciate it, and tell them I have health issues that prevent me from enjoying the taste, but that I certainly can enjoy the kind gesture and that the rest of the staff will tell me how it tastes (and they will).
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PeeVee
Stats: started 280 down to 256 on WW now 253
WOE: atkins
some folks at work moved the other day and had a potluck kind of thing, same deal, nothing there for me. That's OK though, it really doesn't bother me.
PeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
Thanks for all the replies. And usually being around "normal food" doesn't bother me much,but the situation did bother the other day. Maybe being Friday and being tired didn't help. Nice to know how others here handle similiar situations. And i did think of taking just a tiny bite of things, but the carb counter in my head was adding those tiny bites up and i couldn't do it. And i have IBS, so knew it would flare that up. Anyway, next time i have a situational food day will remember the good advice given here and the challenges some of you are facing also and i will be INSPIRED!! One day at a time.......
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
I bring a salad to these things with homemade (low carb) dressing that fits the theme in some way. Sometimes I'm the only one who eats it but more often than not other people eat some too. There are usually a few who appreciate some greens.

When I eat out I usually default to a salad as well. And it is usually a ceasar. What I get is: "No wonder you are so skinny, all you eat is salad" Meanwhile the dressing itself I put on it probably has more calories in it than a typical sandwich. I've even had people accuse me of having an eating disorder, because all I seem to eat is salad.

OP, these situations with a LC WOE are frustrating. I completely understand. Sometimes I feel like just buying a medical alert bracelet around so I can justify my WOE without being subjected to the negative comments.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I don't have a problem with food at work because I figure it's part of life- there is crap food everywhere- fast food on every corner, commercials all day long, people on the train/bus/street eating it, people bringing it into your home, at parties or events, restaurants, etc.

I think a big part of this diet is a changing mindset- I no longer mindlessly eat those foods on a daily basis, so it doesn't matter whether I am surrounded by them (although the smell of some people's food is gag worthy).

I find that it makes me feel pity for people more than anything else, esp when they are oohing and ahhing over very mediocre crap food that doesn't even taste good. I still eat sweets but give me a delicious homemade from scratch cheesecake or tart of cream puff, and you can keep your supermarket pastries .

I don't eat lunch so I usually just drink water or tea or coffee and socialize and say no thanks/not hungry/don't like that food when people offer me stuff. If there is something where everyone is supposed to bring something I usually get whatever other people like, something like a box of donuts for breakfast.

I get satisfaction from being at goal and not freaking out over bathing suit season, so a little "sacrifice"( to be used loosely, since I almost never see anything that I would actually want to eat and would enjoy) is very worth it. It usually also helps to look around and see the size of some of these people that are the biggest food pushers.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-28-2013 at 08:53 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
I would skip the whole thing and stay in my office.I dont trust food other people make and bring from home they could be the nastiest housekeepers,have mice,roaches and all kinds of vermin droppings.They could also be smoking cigarettes over the food .No thanks trust me your not missing much.
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
No matter the theme you should be able to bring some raw veggies and dip. That has saved the day many times for me. I'm usually not hungry anyway so it doesn't bother me
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
OP, That would have been miserable for me. I would have totally felt the urge to eat some of that crap and frustrated that I was put in that position. In the future, I'd do anything I could to get out of it. Can you tell them next time that you have to go to your office during the eating part bc you have to call your sick grandmother in the hospital or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I work in a school that offers English language classes to adult non-English speakers. This means we have students from all over the world and they love nothing more than to bring in delicious foods from their culture to share with the staff. On a weekly basis the are trays and trays of homemade, authentic foods from every part of the world (Asian, Latin, Eastern European, Russian, Middle Eastern, etc.).

If it wasn't enough to get past the wonderful sights and smells, I get the extra added guilt of a wide eyed student saying, "I make for you. From my country. You try."

Then the trays get left in the staff lounge for everyone to eat throughout the day and since my office is adjoined to the staff lounge, I hear the teachers oohing and aahing over the food. The last hurdle of the day is when the staff chimes in that, 'This is a rare treat from <insert country>... It would be a shame for you not to at least taste it.'

You have to put your health first. I doubt your co-workers will be as hurt as my students. Yet still, I cannot sacrifice my health to please them.

A funny thing happened after a few refusals... A few students actually brought me foods and said, "No sugar. Healthy."
OMGosh, this would kill me! I would certainly cave.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #25

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
We have a group of friends that usually eat Sunday lunch together. Once a month we have a potluck and most of the dishes are always high carb. I take something I can eat and count it a blessing if there is one or two other choices available.
Ditto! Bring something to eat before hand, protein & fat. Then enjoy your dish at the potluck. If you luck out, maybe you can eat something else too but dont count on it!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: joy2c
Stats: 183 all-time hi@16yrs old/152/140
WOE: lower carb/cal/fat
Start Date: November, 2003
You have IBS? If you don't mind saying so, that's your golden ticket!

"Sorry, last time I ate at a pot luck, it caused a major IBS flare up and it hurt SO bad."

Then eat your low carb meal that you brought from home. I would not contribute a dish to the pot luck. Just bring a bottle of soda and call it good!

joy2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Here's how I would handle it: I'd bring a contribution that I can eat--salad works with almost any cuisine. If anyone suggests I try something, I'd smile and say something along the lines of "It was so nice of you to bring it, it looks great, but I don't eat sugar or grain." (or, if the sugar grain excuse doesn't apply "that has ingredients I don't eat".)

You might also want to have an emergency meal substitute like protein shake powder or some type of low carb bar (I'm not a big fan, but I've learned to have one in my purse at all times) to eat before or after if you think hunger is not going to be satisfied with your contribution. Drinking/eating it BEFORE the luncheon may be your best strategy, then a nibble or taste won't turn into an eating frenzy.

Personally, I'm not tempted by such foods EXCEPT when I'm hungry. I eat a hefty, high fat breakfast, so I'm rarely hungry when noon comes (and because I'm self-employed, I get to choose my own lunchtime). So when my office mates are eating all their carbage or the kitchen counters are loaded with pastries and other treats, it holds no temptation for me. If I start to feel tempted, that's my body's signal that I'm hungry, so I eat good, low carb food. I even go sing happy birthday and watch everyone eat the obligatory cake. Not a problem for me.

I will sit and socialize with others eating my low carb food or sipping on a mug of cold water. I try very hard NOT to make a big deal about it, so that nobody feels uncomfortable if I don't partake.

If you are getting a lot of pressure and you are really expected to be there and "participate", then it's time to have a talk with your supervisor, and let him or her know that this is derailing your efforts to be healthy. I'm sure there's a way to compromise without everyone getting upset.

One final thing to remember is the reason some people will pressure you to eat things you have said that you won't eat is that it helps assuage their own guilt for eating the food. Keeping that in mind and showing them some compassion (that's why I always compliment the food, never say stuff like "Ew, I'd never eat that in a million years" even if I am thinking it!) can diffuse their anxiety.

Last edited by Janknitz; 04-29-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #28

Quote:
And I made the recipe they called "low carb crap" for supper last night.

It's still soooo good! DBF ate it all, so no leftovers for me

If you're interested, it was a recipe developed by cjack1; I believe in the
beginning it was called "Main Dish Like Velveeta Rotel Dip". 4 ingredients-
fast, easy, tasty, lowcarb- what else do you want?

I shred my own cabbage, ~ 6 cups or so, and I used 2 lbs. ground beef.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
And I made the recipe they called "low carb crap" for supper last night.

It's still soooo good! DBF ate it all, so no leftovers for me

If you're interested, it was a recipe developed by cjack1; I believe in the
beginning it was called "Main Dish Like Velveeta Rotel Dip". 4 ingredients-
fast, easy, tasty, lowcarb- what else do you want?

I shred my own cabbage, ~ 6 cups or so, and I used 2 lbs. ground beef.
Must be a regional thing. I don't know one person in nyc that would like Rotel or Velveeta tasting anything. Just because it's crap for someone doesn't mean you can't enjoy it at home. I would think of rotel as crap too, but I also love sauerkraut and liver, two foods which many people consider crap.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-01-2013 at 01:47 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Must be a regional thing. I don't know one person in nyc that would like Rotel or Velveeta tasting anything. Just because it's crap for someone doesn't mean you can't enjoy it at home. I would think of rotel as crap too, but I also love sauerkraut and liver, two foods which many people consider crap.
What's your first name?