Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Protein Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802899-protein-suggestions.html)

johnsnana 04-26-2013 06:48 PM

Protein Suggestions

Any suggestions on high protein sources. I'm trying to stay under 40 net carbs per day & 18-20 of my NC come from veggies. I'm sick of chicken/fish & eat very little red meat. I like beans but too many carbs. I like nuts but they are too dangerous for me to have around the house. I eat plain greek yogurt (which has 23 grams of protein per cup) but it doesn't seem to fill me up the way beef & chicken do.
Thank you:confused:

raindroproses 04-26-2013 06:49 PM

What about pork? I'd suggest wild game, but it's hard to find/expensive and usually has the same beefy quality about it that you might be trying to avoid with not eating red meat often. Ground turkey may work for you? Also protein powders made into shakes, and eggs of course :)

rubidoux 04-26-2013 07:12 PM

Do you like avocados? I know they're not big on protein, but they're very filling and low carb.

Patience 04-26-2013 07:33 PM

protein powder comes to mind . . whey and egg, or you can go soy based

johnsnana 04-26-2013 07:35 PM

No, unfortunately I don't like avocados. I eat quite weird I guess. I like beans, but most are too high in carbs on my 30-40 net carb per day allowance 18-20 come from veggies. I really enjoy the greek yogurt & at 23 grams per cup of protein, I have no idea why it doesn't fill me up like the same grams of chicken. Diary protein just isn't as filling as the meats but I really prefer to vegan if I can find sources that fill me up. I've become a real animal lover since moving to CA & just don't care for most of those types of proteins anyway.

johnsnana 04-26-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16396034)
protein powder comes to mind . . whey and egg, or you can go soy based

I do have some isopure vanilla protein isolate hanging around if it hasn't expired yet :) I don't remember if this filled me up or not. I guess I would mix it with unsweetened 30 calorie almond milk or another 1 carb milk. Suggestions for how to use both of these? Thank you

debstin 04-26-2013 07:42 PM

Have you tried the black soy beans? I don't remember how the protein count compares with other beans but you can check it out here on netrition. I ordered some and made the refried black soy bean recipe given on Luxury lowcarb site one night along with the lc chile rellano casserole and we really enjoyed that for a change.

johnsnana 04-26-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debstin (Post 16396050)
Have you tried the black soy beans? I don't remember how the protein count compares with other beans but you can check it out here on netrition. I ordered some and made the refried black soy bean recipe given on Luxury lowcarb site one night along with the lc chile rellano casserole and we really enjoyed that for a change.

I'll check that out. Thank you

Jillheras 04-26-2013 07:44 PM

Protein shakes, eggs, examine.

Strawberry 04-27-2013 12:08 AM

Do you like eggs? There are dozens of ways to prepare eggs - devilled eggs, scrambled, quiches, hardboiled, made into pizza crust.

Tofu or tempeh is low carb, if you dont mind eating soy.

Jillheras 04-27-2013 07:38 PM

Edamane could be considered high protein lower in carbs