LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
How much fiber per day?

How much fiber do you eat per day? I am trying to add additional fiber to my diet to help stay full longer and for the nutritional benefits. I know we can subtract the fiber from the carb count, but how much is too much? I'm sure it's a "YMMV" type of thing but I'm curious how much fiber people have been able to add without stalling. I want to add more veggies, flax, chia, etc. but still stay below 20 net carbs.
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I tend to eat a lot of fiber because of the types of LC veggies I eat. Every now and then I have to take a break to let my stomach clear because the fiber tends to build up in your digestive system and make you bloated. You'll know when you are eating too much because you start feeling pressure in your gut. It doesn't stall from the point of losing body fat but it does retain water and food weight which will make you feel you are losing anything. How much is too much? I eat a bit too much and I am guessing it is around 20g worth?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I have gone long periods of time with no fiber at all and felt great appetite suppression from eating lots of fat. Lately I've had a little fiber bc I've been eating an avocado on most days and an ounce of almonds here and there. But I have to say, I think it's been messing up my digestion a little bit.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Mostly no fiber here whatsoever... I eat mostly meat and dairy and other healthy fats On occasion I do get in some nuts, or some veggies, but never too many. So I'm afraid I can't really help much on the maximum fiber topic
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I have to consciously add fiber or my 'regularity' goes out of whack.
I do eat lots of greens and cruciferouis veggies, but it's not enough for me
so I sprinkle flax meal on my breakfast and dinner.
It doesn't take much, but without it I'm miserable.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I never give a thought to fiber. It is not at all important to me. The amount I get varies depending on how many veggies I eat.

I don't really think fiber stalls.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I have to consciously add fiber or my 'regularity' goes out of whack.
I do eat lots of greens and cruciferouis veggies, but it's not enough for me
so I sprinkle flax meal on my breakfast and dinner.
It doesn't take much, but without it I'm miserable.
I think this is why most people watch their fiber intake.

My body is weird. I have never, ever had this problem - no matter what type of diet I follow. High fat, low fat, high carb, low carb... I guess I am lucky.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I just take magnesium supplements and it takes care of what the missing fiber can't do
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
My fiber intake varies, I think it was about 15 g yesterday, but I don't specifically try to get any particular amount of fiber. I saw a recent study that showed dietary fiber is more likely to be cause of, rather than a cure for, constipation and other bowel symptoms. I take magnesium to help with regularity.

ETA: Reference is: Ho KS, et al. Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18(33):4593-4596 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-27-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
My fiber intake varies, I think it was about 15 g yesterday, but I don't specifically try to get any particular amount of fiber. I saw a recent study that showed dietary fiber is more likely to be cause of, rather than a cure for, constipation and other bowel symptoms. I take magnesium to help with regularity.

ETA: Reference is: Ho KS, et al. Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18(33):4593-4596 Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms
I really think it is going to be an individual thing no matter what any study says.

I followed a nutrition plan that required me to get 60g fiber per day and I never had any problems then. I also have no problems on zero fiber days.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I really think it is going to be an individual thing no matter what any study says.

I followed a nutrition plan that required me to get 60g fiber per day and I never had any problems then. I also have no problems on zero fiber days.
The study was done on people with idiopathic constipation, and the study indicates less fiber may be beneficial in that population. For people without constipation I agree YMMV. However I think conventional widsom says "more fiber is better" which isn't necessarily true, and that's the point I was trying to make for the OP, as she alluded to nutritional benefits of fiber. I don't think the benefits of fiber (especially insoluable) are as clear cut as the most people think.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Thanks much for all the replies. I am less interested in the fiber for regularity as I take magnesium and it works like a charm. I want to increase fiber by eating more veggies and using more flax and chia. I love eating flax and chia because they add such variety, nutrition and they make me feel full for a long time. I was just worried that too much of it may end up stalling me, but I will just continue to add them and see how it goes!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't eat a ton of fiber. It's all from non-starchy veggies, but I generally eat under 20g of carbs TOTAL per day, and I do eat dairy too, so you can tell I don't eat a lot. I have no issues with satiation, because of the fat I eat, and no issues with regularity, so fiber isn't a focus for me.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I always think of Dr. Eades' blog on the subject. If you want a different perspective on the subject, look for "A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft" by said doctor.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
Julie - Yes, I do flax and chia to stay full longer... In my morning protein shake I add 1 tablespoon of chia and 2 tablespoons of flax meal.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoelleM
Stats: 245/164/125 (5'3")
WOE: VLC
Start Date: December 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I always think of Dr. Eades' blog on the subject. If you want a different perspective on the subject, look for "A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft" by said doctor.
This is a great read..............thanks for the quote clackley! I have crohns disease and so fiber is not my friend. I find it much more important to keep my fat levels high to keep my digestion smooth. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, etc. just set off flares and give me pain. My family has learned that the kale-quinoa-berry salad that they find so "healthy" makes me sick for 3 days!
NoelleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post

ETA: Reference is: Ho KS, et al. Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18(33):4593-4596 Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms
Wow! Thanks for this interesting information.
It is amazing, that as I get older, I am finding so many things that I thought were the gospel truth may be completely wrong!

On a low carb/high fat diet I have no issues with constipation.
I do eat very little fiber.

Last edited by Annabel Lee; 04-28-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Thanks for this Cathy!
An informative and enjoyable read, despite the subject!
He sure has an interesting way of explaining things.
I always find his writing fascinating.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Constipation is always help up as "proof" LC is bad. Seems like it might not be constipation, but rather "normal", with the fiber-brigade having the dangerous "trots".

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a study that said "you guys over here eat high fiber, and you guys over there eat low fiber" to see what the long-term implications are in a controlled environment. But everybody "knows" more fiber is better, so you'd never get funding. Yet what if it were all the fiber causing all the colon cancer? (I'm not implying it is, but it is a valid hypothesis that can be tested. If anybody knows of research on the topic, I'd love to see it.)
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree. I would love to see more studies on fiber.
Personally, I require a little more than I get by my typical lc routine. But the solution was simple. I just sprinkle a little ground flax seed on my veggies at meal time and stay comfortably regular.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote