LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Has anyone read "The CR Way"?

As in calorie restriction? ie, the extend your life and live to be 110 diet? Well, I have been wondering about it ever since I started reading about IF because it is thought that IF gives you similar benefits to CR. So, I bought The CR Way (I'm only a couple of chapters into it) and, of course, they want you to eat a ton of veggies (I don't really eat veggies, except as like a condiment) and some grains (though I think they say wheat is bad) and fruit (though just berries, which I do eat once in a great while).

But I think their woe is very compatible with high fat/mod protein/low carb. Their two big things, other than actual calorie restriction, are keeping your glucose/insulin low and keeping your protein low. They restrict protein more than nutritional ketosis, I think (40 to 50 grams a day for women and a bit more for men), but I have kinda gotten myself to around that most days anyway (I was feeling guilty about it!).

The other weird thing is that I always thought you had to restrict your calories a TON, but they say only 15 or 20% below your daily needs, which they say for me is like 1800 calories. I normally eat between 900 and 1300 anyway, which is way lower than that. So... hmmmmm....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to read the rest of the book bc I'm curious about their take on fasting and recommendations for how to control appetite.

After reading a little of this I feel like, whooo, maybe I'll live to be a hundred something. But I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be diabetic. I think it might be ok if you're type II bc the diet may cure you, but I think I'm out of the running.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've been using JUDDD for a year and a half, and although I've allowed myself to adjust my goal weight up a few pounds, I've maintained beautifully. Someone recently posted a link to a PBS video featuring Michael Mosely investigating CR and IF. (You can find it on the PBS website by googling his name.) He interviews people doing research in the labs, as well as people who live different IF lifestyles. It's a really good explanation of how IF works and is healthy. I am convinced more than ever that the way I'm living is going to keep me in good health for a long time. I find it a very satisfying way to eat and I feel good.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm am very intrigued by calorie restriction. The evidence seems to be mounting that this is a key way to significantly slow the aging process.
I'm in owl and so still losing, but I sometimes view this as a possible next step for when the owl reaches it's natural conclusion.
Glad you started this thread because I am very interested in this subject
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
While calorie restriction worked great for mice, primate studies showed no benefits.

Calorie restriction falters in the long run : Nature News & Comment
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
What is the CR way of eating. I'm just a bit confused because don't you have to eat less than your daily needs to lose weight anyways. Isn't that how most weight loss diets work? Through calorie restriction?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post
While calorie restriction worked great for mice, primate studies showed no benefits.

Calorie restriction falters in the long run : Nature News & Comment
Very interesting, thanks for the link. It is interesting that in rhesus monkeys fed a high sugar diet (28.5% sucrose) calorie restriction of that diet did lead to fewer age-related deaths, likely due to eating less of an unhealthy diet, whereas in monkeys that ate a healthier diet (3.9% sucrose, also contained fish oil and antioxidants) calorie restriction did not affect lifespan. Very affirming that eating LC is healthier, though it appears genetics is the most important factor. Love this quote:

Quote:
Nir Barzilai, a gerontologist at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, says that the centenarians he studies have led him to believe that genetics is more important than diet and lifestyle. “They’re a chubby bunch,” he says.
I seriously have no interest in living until 110 anyway. 80-85 and reaonsably healthy would be fine with me.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Another intriguing thing about fasting is that there is evidence that it may stop or slow cancer growth. Some say that fasting for a couple of days once or twice a year is quite beneficial to overall health.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
I seriously have no interest in living until 110 anyway. 80-85 and reaonsably healthy would be fine with me.
I used to say something similar, but now that age 80 something is not so distant my attitude has changed. I now measure the quality of life. I don't care what the acutal age is, I want to be robust physically and alert mentally. When one or the other deteriorates substantially then it's time to depart, but I strive to keep each of these faculties going strong for as long as possible. I would love to see great grandchildren.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I used to say something similar, but now that age 80 something is not so distant my attitude has changed. I now measure the quality of life. I don't care what the acutal age is, I want to be robust physically and alert mentally. When one or the other deteriorates substantially then it's time to depart, but I strive to keep each of these faculties going strong for as long as possible. I would love to see great grandchildren.
Yep, at 71 I can identify with that. As long as the quality of life is there, I want to be around to 150, but if not, going tomorrow would be just fine with me.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I feel like 80 is not going to be in a whole 'nother lifetime anymore, too. I'm only 43, but I feel like I was pregnant with my nine year old so recently, and time is just flying by. Like, I had this 8 weeks of childcare lined up for studying, and I feel like I have just hardly gotten started and it's half over. I hate it when weeks just seem to disappear like that. So, I am much more conscious of the fact that time is passing and I am getting older.

And I am also very conscious of the fact that I don't want to be any kind of burden on my kids, especially, or on my husband, either. He's a couple of years older than me, but having a fairly serious chronic disease leaves me feeling like this is not an even playing field. I am also scared of getting to the point that someone outside of the family would have to take care of me. That just sounds downright scary to me.

So, ya know, I'd like to extend my life as much as possible, but even more, I'd like to make sure that I'm physically capable as long as possible. I don't know if The CR Way is likely to make the difference, but I could see incorporating some of it to my life, especially since it's already pretty compatible with what I'm doing. It's funny to think that I probably already have around ten months of eating very low calorie (around 900-1300 per day) and with lots of fasting for about 10-12 months out of the last 2.5 years and I've come to the conclusion that this is a viable way of life for me.

It's funny, too, I actually think that my IL's are consciously (I mean, not by mistake) doing calorie restriction for longevity and have been for many years. They don't come out and say it. And oddly, they aren't doing it together, they were divorced 40 years ago! But neither one of them ever eats anything substantial. My MIL is actually vegan and she will go days at a time basically not eating. They're both almost 80 and he runs ten miles every weekend and she climbs mountains several times a week. I gotta say, it looks to me like it's working for them. And if you read a little about the guy who wrote The CR Way, he's got a group of people doing it with him and they seem to have had some real success, several people to live over 100 and I think one of them may currently be like 107 or 108. I don't know how many people are in his organization, but there'd have to be quite a lot of them to get several who live to be over 100 by chance.

I'm not totally sold on it, but I'm certainly not ready to dismiss it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote