Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Question about ketosis and pregnancy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802868-question-about-ketosis-pregnancy.html)

gdever1975 04-26-2013 08:28 AM

Question about ketosis and pregnancy

I just found out a week ago that i am pregnant . At that point I would have only been 4 weeks 5 days.
Until that point I had been in ketosis for a few weeks. As soon as I found out, I started reading about this woe and pregnancy, but didn't alter my diet except for one thing. Bulletproof coffee. I quit coffee/ caffeine cold turkey. (Which really sucked!)
As soon as I did this, I was out.
I am not trying to lose weight, nor was I really trying anyway. Just trying to maintain. I weight 115 at 5'4".
Do any of you veterans have any insight as to why this would happen?
Could it be hormone related?

raindroproses 04-26-2013 08:48 AM

Were you using coconut oil in your BPC? If you were, would it be possible for you to get that extra in other ways? Or maybe you could make bulletproof tea with some sort of herbal tea?

Coconut oil is highly ketogenic, and helps facilitate ketosis. Many people need the coconut oil to stay in, or keep their ketones high enough it seems.

Another thing is, that's a BIG source of fat you just cut out. If you're not getting enough fat, and are getting too much protein/carbs as a result now (percentage-wise anyway) this could cause issue too.

Just a couple thoughts that popped into my mind :)

raindroproses 04-26-2013 08:50 AM

It could also be hormone related, I'm honestly not sure. I know when it's TOM time for me, that lowers my ketones down significantly... but it doesn't completely kick me out or anything like that. Perhaps pregnancy hormones are even more taxing on the body's production of ketones? Or perhaps it's a combination of a hormonal influence along with the elimination of some of those healthy ketogenic fats.

suzanneyea 04-26-2013 08:55 AM

I know nothing about ketosis, but I stayed low carb for my pregnant. Come join us on the baby thread in women's health.

gdever1975 04-26-2013 08:55 AM

Good point!
I will try it in tea. I don't necessarily want to be in ketosis. But just thought how strange that it was so sudden.

Speaking of...any thoughts on being in ketosis while pregnant? I know there isn't much research on it, but you would think that it would be healthier?

IDK. Morning sickness hasn't hit (yet) and I am really not wanting to eat crackers and stuff like that.

gdever1975 04-26-2013 08:56 AM

Thanks for your input!

I will check out the baby thread! :)

rubidoux 04-26-2013 09:35 AM

If anything, it should be easier to get into ketosis while pregnant. When I was pregnant the first time, I asked my perinatologist about it and he said not to worry about ketosis bc newly pregnant women are in ketosis a lot of the time no matter what they're eating. But maybe it's something that kicks in more after the morning sickness starts.

Is the cutie in your avatar also yours?

gdever1975 04-26-2013 12:21 PM

Yes he is #2! :) I also have a daughter 19 years old that goes to Pitt.
I am going to have my hands full, but I love it!

rubidoux 04-26-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdever1975 (Post 16395467)
Yes he is #2! :) I also have a daughter 19 years old that goes to Pitt.
I am going to have my hands full, but I love it!

Sweet! :D