Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Moving Cross Country Advice (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802862-moving-cross-country-advice.html)

travelgirl77 04-26-2013 06:59 AM

Moving Cross Country Advice

Hi everyone,

Next week my family is headed west for my husband's job. There will be a lot of stops along the way and an entire week in Yellowstone at a vacation home. I am excited, but very nervous, as I have a tendency to go off the rails on trips/vacations, and with two kids in the car, I know I will want to eat things that are not good for my body.

Can you provide any helpful advice about what to bring (we will have a cooler) that can stave off these potential problems? Thank you for any advice you can give.

Thank you,
Sarah

Nancypie11 04-26-2013 07:15 AM

Try stopping at grocery gas stations or gas stations with a large selection like qt, that way you have a larger selection of snacks to chose from, and not just has station crap.

reddarin 04-26-2013 07:23 AM

My advice is to bring a copy of Why We Get Fat to read along the way.

:)

Chuck41 04-26-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16394841)
My advice is to bring a copy of Why We Get Fat to read along the way.

:)

Love that! :goodpost:
Just make sure you keep some gooď LC munchies for you along on the ride and when you stop to eat, make sure you have enough allowed foods to not be super hungry in the car. Enjoy Yellowstone. It is a fabulous place.

nolcjunk 04-26-2013 07:49 AM

Don't treat it as an excuse to eat off plan. We do all sorts of things everyday, and they don't mean we should use them to eat crap. You will feel even worse when you get to your final destination if you go off plan- you will be heavier and then will have to go through carb withdrawals again.

Your whole family will have a much better and healthier trip if you stop off at grocery stores/supermarkets and get stuff like roast chickens and salads and hardboiled eggs and cheese sticks and fruit for the kids and bottled water. You can do lc fast food but I wouldn't make that the mainstay of your meals.

pocahontas 04-26-2013 07:52 AM

I would actually rec stopping at grocery stores, markets or even walmart if you can. They often have hb eggs, cheese, deli meats, nuts, sparkling waters, etc. at far better prices that gas stations. Plus they have all the usual snacks that the rest of the family will want. Just plan accordingly. I assume you have a smartphone? I think everyone does now. You can look up the next market at your planned stop. Oh and bunless burgers if you hit up the drive through!

trishthedish 04-26-2013 09:43 AM

If it were me, I'd bring nuts, pork rinds, cheese sticks, a jar of natural PB with a spoon, and SF chocolate. Not the cleanest, but it would keep me from the very tempting, very present unhealthy food and behavior options.

Good luck!

Knittering 04-26-2013 04:49 PM

I'd bring a jar of coconut oil and some fat bombs in your cooler. I definitely wouldn't do the nuts thing -- they're too easy to over-eat, especially when you're bored. Maybe beef jerky, if the sodium doesn't bother you?

As far as the kids go, I'd buy them snacks that you don't like. :)

Patience 04-26-2013 05:04 PM

I am going to start traveling with CO.
I like flavor of the unrefined, and I don't think I'd overeat it like nuts.

Aleina 04-26-2013 05:17 PM

Hardboiled eggs ! They stay good for a long time if the shell is not cracked. You could also bake some allowed goodies which will again keep,so you are not left out when everybody is having "fun".

debstin 04-26-2013 06:35 PM

Lots of good ideas so far. I would also add in the cooler some celery and when traveling i usually carry some atkins shakes and a few bars for emergency temptations. And i would make some portioned bags of linda's low carb cheese crackers and some of the pepperoni chips and maybe some low carb tortilla chips. You can always find some dips/salsa you can use with the celery and chips.And you can always find flavored sunflower seeds. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Patience 04-26-2013 06:35 PM

yep, eggs for sure or egg salad.
Flax seed crackers are also good to spreading a bit of cheese or nut or seed butter.
The fiber in them is good for traveling, too, when spending too much time sitting.

Jillheras 04-26-2013 06:48 PM

Pepperoni, cheese, olives, pork rinds, nuts, celery. For me the important thing is to mix it up and have choices, so I would include dark chocolate.

LiterateGriffin 04-27-2013 06:49 AM

In September (Sept. 18, to be exact), we moved cross-country with NO help and very little warning.

A bag of mixed nuts (heavy on the macadamias) saved us ALL on the "flight day" where we went from dawn till bed with no access to a "real" meal.

When we arrived, I bought a cheap bone-in pre-cooked ham. I also gave myself permission to go off-plan as needed until we were back on our feet, financially -- which wound up being about one month after the (pre-move) date I went off.

I that time, I ate on-plan when I could (and out of preference), and off-plan when there truly were no options (sometimes dictated by finances -- it was EXPENSIVE, getting here! I actually bought rice, to help keep my family fed. One bag, and then we were back on our feet, eating real food again.)

kiwistars 04-27-2013 12:34 PM

I am loving this thread as I am going on holiday next week and because of finances and a scary local airport I am taking the slow bus down.

Any help to survive busing for hours through dinner time is a big help.