Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Sugar alcohols and hindering of weight loss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802861-sugar-alcohols-hindering-weight-loss.html)

Abdul1993 04-26-2013 06:41 AM

Sugar alcohols and hindering of weight loss

Some of those ingredients, like mannitol, dextrose, etc. and other sugar alcohols are supposed to hinder weight loss. However, if you aren't trying to lose weight anymore, but rather just maintain, is it okay to eat those?

Leo41 04-26-2013 06:57 AM

I think it depends on the individual. I've been maintaining for 2 years, but I can't touch any artificial sweeteners. My body seems to process them just like real sugar.

Other people seem to have no problems at all.

You probably need to find out for yourself how you 'react' to these things.

lterry913 04-26-2013 07:20 AM

Yep it depends on if you eat them and they cause carvings...because if you crave you will eat more and then gain, not maintain. It is also possible that it could cause an insulin response an tell your body to store fat...very simplified...the only way to know is to try and see if they cause cravings, test your blood sugar after eating, or see if you gain or maintain. good luck and as always tread lightly with the sugar alcohols...I don't trust em they stall me.

Chuck41 04-26-2013 07:28 AM

I used them a lot when I started. The Atkins bar that imitates a snickers is fabulous. Unfortunately, after I had dropped about twenty pounds I started to stall and discovered when I did without the bars the stall ended. Guess it depends on the individual,, the stage of weight loss, the calendar, the time of day, the humidity, etc on whether you can tolerate them or not. Have to try and see. They helped me greatly to get over my sweet obsession early on. When Iget to maintenance I will likely reintroduce them to a limited degree.

Abdul1993 04-26-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16394838)
Yep it depends on if you eat them and they cause carvings...because if you crave you will eat more and then gain, not maintain. It is also possible that it could cause an insulin response an tell your body to store fat...very simplified...the only way to know is to try and see if they cause cravings, test your blood sugar after eating, or see if you gain or maintain. good luck and as always tread lightly with the sugar alcohols...I don't trust em they stall me.

They don't cause cravings for me, but how does this whole testing blood sugar process works? if I get one of the machines, what should I be looking for to know if the food is bad for me

Leo41 04-26-2013 12:20 PM

Unless you're diabetic, I really wouldn't bother doing blood testing to see how you're affected.

A high insulin response (if you get one) will cause hunger about 30 min to an hour after you eat the bar because the insulin surge drops your blood sugar very low afterwards and then you experience hunger.

That's how I know how I react to artificial sweeteners--the ensuing hunger which is as though I'd eaten true sugar.

johnsnana 04-26-2013 12:30 PM

I have always used the atkins bars but never more than 2 per day. The shakes seemed to stall my weight loss. I also experimented with a lot of sugar free candy & chocolate, looking for that sugar free " INITIAL high" that I got from sugar. Some were better than others at not causing stomach issues but, almost all but the hard candies seemed to stall me. The Jelly Belly jelly beans & Russell Stovers SF candies were the worst. I agree with everyone else that you really have to experiment with these foods yourself since everyone's bodies are unique in how the react to different ingredients. I have also noticed how de-sensitizing some of the and other sugar free products can be to your taste buds. If I am off them for a while, tomatoes, zucchini & even unsweetened bakers chocolate can be somewhat sweet. But if I use more than a few stevia packets a day, I can't taste the natural sweetness in any of my foods.

lterry913 04-26-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16395464)
Unless you're diabetic, I really wouldn't bother doing blood testing to see how you're affected.

A high insulin response (if you get one) will cause hunger about 30 min to an hour after you eat the bar because the insulin surge drops your blood sugar very low afterwards and then you experience hunger.

That's how I know how I react to artificial sweeteners--the ensuing hunger which is as though I'd eaten true sugar.

Thanks for the help with this one...as I am not diabetic I was going to suggest she ask for more help with this one. I don't test but and I don't really feel the hunger thing after eating but I know if I eat to many for too long a time I stall...and malitol can cause tummy and bathroom problems :(