Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 11/16/14
Starbucks HWC latte???

I'm an addict of Starbucks!!!!!

However I have recently committed back to Induction and for the life of me cannot find out how many carbs are in a sugar free, heavy whipping cream latte at Starbucks!!!!

I have the Starbucks app, but it comes up as 14 grams total carbs for both HWC and Whole Milk.

Is this right?????

I thought HWC has 0 carbs??????

Thanks for your help!!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Well... some of their numbers are off. They list an iced coffee as having 90 calories, I think with and without sweetener. But, HWC has .6 grams of carb per tablespoon. Do you know how many tablespoons they put in a latte?

I have the same problem w tracking my starbucks, so one morning I measured out 4 T of HWC in a little jar and poured it into my coffee and it was clearly way more HWC than they normally put in. So, now I just consider it to be 4 T and count it that way, even though I know it's most likely closer to 3 or even lower than 3.

ETA: I think there may be a whole lotta cream in a latte. Maybe you could ask them which lines they fill it up to (like I think it may be coffee to the bottom line and then cream to the next one) and then you can take the cup home and measure that space.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-25-2013 at 08:59 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
There is a ton of cream/milk in a latte. I would stick to plain coffee and ask for either an inch of HWC and some sf syrup or just use the half n half and a packet of splenda. You wont regret it......and your wallet will thank you.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
The carbs are likely lower than they're listing for the HWC version, but there are still carbs in HWC. I think 4T would be about 2 carbs if I'm not mistaken? Maybe 3.

I know this has been brought up before too though, some people have said SOME Starbucks locations have added sugar in their HWC... I know the ones inside of Kroger supermarkets don't because they use Kroger's HWC which is pure and doesn't contain any extra carbs. Not sure about all of the stand alone stores though, so you may want to ask to be sure if you're worried about it!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys!!!!!

Anyone have the nutritional info for Starbucks made with HWC???? I feel like the numbers I was looking at were wrong also.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

We have Starbucks in our Target stores here. That makes me confused??? LOL

Thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
We have Starbucks in our Target stores here. That makes me confused??? LOL

Thanks!!!
Some of our Targets used to, but it seems like they're moving on out and appearing in Kroger suddenly You could probably call the store up and ask them, or ask them if you could see the container of HWC when you come in the next time for a latte. If they ask, you can just tell them you have a food sensitivity and you wanted to be 100% sure there were no additives. They may have the correct nutritional information there too, but I know for sure someone's asked to see the carton at theirs before because those rumors flying around about things being in the HWC freaked a lot of people out. They're usually really happy to help
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Some of our Targets used to, but it seems like they're moving on out and appearing in Kroger suddenly You could probably call the store up and ask them, or ask them if you could see the container of HWC when you come in the next time for a latte. If they ask, you can just tell them you have a food sensitivity and you wanted to be 100% sure there were no additives. They may have the correct nutritional information there too, but I know for sure someone's asked to see the carton at theirs before because those rumors flying around about things being in the HWC freaked a lot of people out. They're usually really happy to help

Thanks soo much!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
From Google searching... 1 cup of cream (8 ounces) has 821 calories and 6.6 g of carbs.

So in a latte they put a shot or two of expresso.... and fill the rest of that 12 oz, 16 oz, 20 oz cup with cream... thats gonna be a heckuva lot of carbs and enough calories that you basically should plan on eating nothing for the rest of the day!

Get a regular coffee or an americano (expresso with water) and add your own moderate amount of cream. They do have sugar free syrups if you want flavor.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
The Carb count the OP stated is about right. A latte, depending on the size, is one to two 1-ounce shot of espresso. The rest would be all HWC or half-n-half. As Strawberry stated a cup of cream is approx 7 carbs. You also have to really watch the Baristas at Starbucks. I drink Starbucks everyday. I sometimes find some don't know the difference between half n half and cream; they dont care about the difference or possibly think I wouldn't notice the taste difference.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Lately I have just been asking for a shot of expresso with a side of boiling hot water and then I add 1/4 c of the cream myself. I don't really want the coffee to replace a meal, so I find it the best way to keep it low carb, it isn't perfect but it works for me. The other thing you could do is just ask for a cup of boiling water with a shot of expresso, and ask them to leave room for the cream. Its ideal if they have table cream, but half and half will work too if you are only using a couple of tablespoons.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I get an americano with sugar free flavor of choice...then have them steam some hwc or half and half with water to top it off.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I get an americano with sugar free flavor of choice...then have them steam some hwc or half and half with water to top it off.
This is a much more budget-friendly (calories, carbs, and money-wise) option, and one of my faves!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I get an a coffee or iced coffee with sugar free syrup, an extra espresso shot and just enough half and half to lighten it a little.
Under 4g carbs and much easier on the calories (under 100) than a latte.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
You're talking about scandalous levels of calories here. A with just espresso and a cup of heavy cream in a latte, you'll escape the carbs in milk but , its 821 calories per serving! Low carb or not, it would be very difficult to lose weight with that much calorie in just your coffee.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
a shot of expresso with a side of boiling hot water
Just curious - this is an Americano if its all in the same cup.... do they charge you less for it if you order the shot of expresso and cup of hot water separately?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I wouldn't know that maybe she will answer. I know that my american the way I like it is about 1.50 to 2.00 less than a latte...and if they make your latte with hwc or h&h which is called breve, they will charge even more for that because it costs more than milk.

You could always get an americano and if you don't feel comfortable asking for the cream steamed you could just add half and half at the coffee counter they provide.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I go for the americano with a small splash of half and half or the brewed coffee which is less expensive and generally good depending on how they brew it. I've order some MCT oil so may try adding some of that for a change.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
I've never been charged for my splash of hwc, but I've never asked for it to be steamed w/ water, either. My biggest problem at sbux is that their "splash" is often way too much! I've tried asking for an inch, but that doesn't work much better. They're pouring out of the big, one gallon jug from their fridge, so I guess it's hard to control.
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
I always ask for 1/2 of an expresso shot glass of HWC - works perfectly and controls my carbs to 1 tbl - keeps it low carb but lightens my coffee right up!
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddesslynne View Post
I've never been charged for my splash of hwc, but I've never asked for it to be steamed w/ water, either. My biggest problem at sbux is that their "splash" is often way too much! I've tried asking for an inch, but that doesn't work much better. They're pouring out of the big, one gallon jug from their fridge, so I guess it's hard to control.
I either ask to pour my own (there are certain stbx's where I know I need to do this) or say "just a smidge." I find it so irritating when they insist on putting in like half a cup of cream, it's obviously way over the top, imo. I feel like they're doing it to make a point, like if you're so freaky that you're willing to use HWC, I'll give you some HWC! lol
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #22

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
That is where I work--Starbucks in my Kroger. And we have the ones in Target too. But I work at Kroger--so we use Kroger milks. Which I have recently learned is different than what other Starbucks use, which makes perfect sense but just never occurred to me.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #23

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
There is nothing I like more at work when a customer orders a breve latte. I get to steam a little "extra" and have some myself!! I don't worry about the carbs.....hasn't hurt me yet! Love them!!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote