LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
This is hard without eggs

I don't even know why I'm posting ... just whining, I guess. I restarted today; months after learning I can't eat eggs anymore. After years of low carbing and eating A LOT of eggs, they now give me a debilitating headachey, brain foggy, sleepy feeling. After I could no longer eat eggs (they were a huge part of my diet; guess my body eventually said 'no more!') I really fell off the wagon and I've gained 25 pounds.

Today I bought some veganaisse (egg free mayo)...and I'm trying to figure out what can take the place of all those quiches and other egg-based casseroles that were a staple of my diet. I haven't had any luck in finding a creamy egg-free salad dressing so I'm using sour cream and salsa, which just isn't the same as my favorite ranch.

I've tried to restart several times in the past few months but without the eggs I just don't seem to have nearly as many LC choices as I used to...then I get bored and start eating carby food again. I've never been a big meat-eater. I'm thinking some creamy cauliflower or broccoli soups with some chia seeds mixed in might be a filling lunch...and pork rind 'nachos' would be good for dinner. Guess I'll make a list of possible meals for when I go food shopping tomorrow.

I have to figure this out. My health is at stake.
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Aww, I'm really sorry that you are going through a hard time. I am very familiar with food allergies as I and my daughter both have them. It can be a little(or a lot) overwhelming at times.
I actually love veganaise. I buy the one with the purple top. I make my chicken and tuna salad with it. Yum!
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I was eating 5 eggs a day. 3 scrambled with cheese for breakfast and 1-2 hard boiled as a snack throughout the day. Needless to say I got sick of them after a while.

I switched over to bulletproof coffee for breakfast and it re-energized my weight loss.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Wow. I am really sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine giving up eggs.

I eat eggs every day & have never in my life been tired of them. Once in a while I worry that I'll develop an allergy to them. I hope it doesn't happen because I've already eliminated so many foods for other reasons.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Aww, I'm really sorry that you are going through a hard time. I am very familiar with food allergies as I and my daughter both have them. It can be a little(or a lot) overwhelming at times.
I actually love veganaise. I buy the one with the purple top. I make my chicken and tuna salad with it. Yum!
thank you, cfine...i'll have to check to see which one I got. It tasted okay...had to go to 4 stores before I found it at the health food store. I saw they had a pesto version which would probably make a good dip for celery sticks. The one weird thing about this mayo is the alarmingly white color...it looks like Elmer's glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I was eating 5 eggs a day. 3 scrambled with cheese for breakfast and 1-2 hard boiled as a snack throughout the day. Needless to say I got sick of them after a while.

I switched over to bulletproof coffee for breakfast and it re-energized my weight loss.
Thks, I haven't tried the bulletproof coffee. Maybe I'll try it this morning. I'm one of those weird people who doesn't get any more satiety from fat so I'm not sure that would be enough of a breakfast...maybe after ketosis kicks in, though. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many eggs I used to eat. You'd say 'well no wonder you're body started reacting !!!' LOL... I really liked them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Wow. I am really sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine giving up eggs.

I eat eggs every day & have never in my life been tired of them. Once in a while I worry that I'll develop an allergy to them. I hope it doesn't happen because I've already eliminated so many foods for other reasons.
thank you, Deb...I'm realizing how many low carb recipes have at least one egg in them. ...almond meal breads, and one minute muffin, cauliflower pizza crust, pork fried cauli-rice, pumpkin bake, cream cheese muffins etc. Those were all a staple of my diet. It's like I have to learn LC all over again with a different menu. I know there are some foods that can replace eggs as a binding agent in recipes...guess I need to do more research.

Right now I'm happy that I got through day 1 without having any grains!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I don't have it but there is a substitute for eggs that you can use in the bread and muffins...maybe ask in the recipe help area...and are you having trouble with the whites or yolks or just the combo...it may be worth experimenting.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I go through phases- I can eat a ton of eggs or none. But, I only eat eggs as eggs, I don't make things out of them.

I think it's actually better- those casseroles are giant calorie bombs and lead to overeating for a lot of people. Lc can be done very simply without a lot of recipes and faux foods.

You can make creamy dressings with greek yogurt. Tzatzki makes a great dressing- it's just cucumbers, garlic, lemon, salt, and greek yogurt. Use non-creamy dressings like evoo and fresh squeezed lemon juice with herbs and spices.

Replace eggs with more meats and vegetables-

something like bacon with mushrooms or sausage (you can get healthy ones without crap fillers) and peppers for breakfast, big salads, roasted/grilled chicken/steak/salmon, etc. I love making a big pot of vegetable soup with at least 5 different veg and either chicken or steak for a stew.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-26-2013 at 07:58 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Noticed you stated you had never been a big meat eater. Might have to rethink that. LC without meat or eggs ts a tough road to travel. Dairy is the logical alternative, but that in sufficient quantities is gonna be too much carbs. Nut butters might help but are kinda poor substitute in quantity. Veggies and coconut oil are good, but leave a lot to be desired in the variety department. I think I would try the just egg whites or yokes suggestion to see if you can tolerate either of them alone.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I’m thinking you can still eat LC, but maybe not Induction levels. Here are your previous favorites with some slightly higher carb (egg free) options:

1. Ranch = Maybe Greek yogurt with a packet of ranch dressing mix would help replace your traditional ranch.

2. Almond meal breads = I saw this online. Maybe it can help with that recipe:1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

3. One minute muffin = I know it isn’t the very same, but flax mixed with yogurt or ricotta (and flavorings) is a nice, quick snack.

4. Cauliflower pizza crust = Joseph’s Flax and Oat pitas are LC and make a yummy pizza crust

5. Pork fried cauli-rice = I think the fried rice could be good sans egg. Maybe toss in some diced spaghetti squash to add another texture (almost a rice-a-roni vibe)

6. Pumpkin bake = Why not tweak it to a pumpkin mousse? I would experiment with making it without the egg knowing it will be more of a scoopable serving instead of a slice. Or you could try the flax and water mixture I mentioned in number 2.

7. Cream cheese muffins = Try the cream cheese clouds or maybe try ricotta with sweetener or flavored syrups. It hits that ‘cheesecake’ profile for me.

You can do this. Just a few tweaks to your carb levels and a little bit of experimentation and you will be enjoying your favorite flavors while avoiding the eggs. Good luck!
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Get a pack of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, and mix it with a combo of sour cream or greek yogurt and buttermilk. (And yes, you can make your own spice mix if you dont like the little bit of starch in the packet, but its no worse than bottled dressing)
You can also add mashed avocado to give a nice mouth feel to the dressing.

There are tons of recipes for mayo with out eggs, if you Google search. Vegans have been dealing with the issue for years!

Do you like vinaigarette salad dressings, at all?

Also, Google search "eggless quiche" = there are hundreds of recipes using tofu or cottage cheese or even paneer chese (Indian cheese) as a substitue for eggs in quiche. They arent classified as low carb, but obviously, you could just make these without the crust and they would be fine.

I really think this is totally doable! I was getting ready to make a quiche to use up the eggs, before they go bad, ,because I havent actually had any eggs for about 2 weeks. And I've been making a huge effort to stop using mayo and premade Ranch, because of the "bad" oils in it (not so much because of eggs), so I can tell you it IS possible to find substitutes for these things!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area?
They sell a Reduced Fat Cilantro Salad Dressing (2 carbs/serving, 45 cals) and a Parmesan Ranch Dressing (2 carbs/serving, 45 cals) that both do not have eggs in them. The "parmesan ranch" actually tastes more like a caesar dressing than a traditional ranch, but its good and creamy. The cilantro tastes like more traditional ranch dressing with poblano and cilantro flavors.

The labels do say "processed on equipment shared with other products containing eggs".... so I dont know how severe your egg intolerance is, or if its a true allergy, such that these products would be inappropriate. But there are no eggs in the ingredients list.

Last edited by Strawberry; 04-26-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Number 2 in the post a couple above is what I recall people using as egg replacement...maybe with some xanthum gum to help hold moisture in the recipe if I recall.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I didn't know that you could develop an intolerance to eggs. My teenage son started cooking eggs for breakfast a few months ago, and he eats a lot of them, 6-8 every day. How does this intolerance develop? Thanks.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I ate a ton of eggs for years while low carbing and I also developed an intolerance to them. I kept getting really sick to my stomach a few hours after breakfast, but not every day. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out it was only when I had eggs for breakfast. I researched and discovered that you can, indeed, develop an intolerance to almost anything. In the case of eggs, it's usually the proteins in the whites that offend. The good news is that after avoiding them for about a year, I was able to reintroduce them very slowly without any more symptoms. For the past several years I've continued eating them like before. I hope you have a similar experience.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
A friend and her partner did lc(atkins 2002) without eggs due to allergies and lost tons.She said they ate a lot of tinned meat(tuna,chicken,crab)and just avoided lc baking.

Years later and they are still thin and healthy.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

lterry, I've wondered if it was the whites or the yolks (or both) but I'm kind of scared to experiment. The reaction is almost instant. Maybe I could try it in the evening when I can go to bed if I get sick and sleepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
You can make creamy dressings with greek yogurt. Tzatzki makes a great dressing- it's just cucumbers, garlic, lemon, salt, and greek yogurt. Use non-creamy dressings like evoo and fresh squeezed lemon juice with herbs and spices.

I love making a big pot of vegetable soup with at least 5 different veg and either chicken or steak for a stew.
Good ideas, thank you..and yes, you're so right that the casseroles had a ton of calories. I did love those deep dish pizzas, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Noticed you stated you had never been a big meat eater. Might have to rethink that. LC without meat or eggs ts a tough road to travel. Dairy is the logical alternative, but that in sufficient quantities is gonna be too much carbs.
Yes, I definitely have to find new tried and true favorites if I'm going to make this work. I love cheese but I can't eat that all day...well, I could, but I shouldn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I’m thinking you can still eat LC, but maybe not Induction levels. Here are your previous favorites with some slightly higher carb (egg free) options:

1. Ranch = Maybe Greek yogurt with a packet of ranch dressing mix would help replace your traditional ranch.

2. Almond meal breads = I saw this online. Maybe it can help with that recipe:1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

3. One minute muffin = I know it isn’t the very same, but flax mixed with yogurt or ricotta (and flavorings) is a nice, quick snack.

4. Cauliflower pizza crust = Joseph’s Flax and Oat pitas are LC and make a yummy pizza crust

5. Pork fried cauli-rice = I think the fried rice could be good sans egg. Maybe toss in some diced spaghetti squash to add another texture (almost a rice-a-roni vibe)

6. Pumpkin bake = Why not tweak it to a pumpkin mousse? I would experiment with making it without the egg knowing it will be more of a scoopable serving instead of a slice. Or you could try the flax and water mixture I mentioned in number 2.

7. Cream cheese muffins = Try the cream cheese clouds or maybe try ricotta with sweetener or flavored syrups. It hits that ‘cheesecake’ profile for me.

You can do this. Just a few tweaks to your carb levels and a little bit of experimentation and you will be enjoying your favorite flavors while avoiding the eggs. Good luck!
Excellent ideas --thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Get a pack of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, and mix it with a combo of sour cream or greek yogurt and buttermilk. (And yes, you can make your own spice mix if you dont like the little bit of starch in the packet, but its no worse than bottled dressing)
You can also add mashed avocado to give a nice mouth feel to the dressing.

There are tons of recipes for mayo with out eggs, if you Google search. Vegans have been dealing with the issue for years!

Do you like vinaigarette salad dressings, at all?

Also, Google search "eggless quiche" = there are hundreds of recipes using tofu or cottage cheese or even paneer chese (Indian cheese) as a substitue for eggs in quiche. They arent classified as low carb, but obviously, you could just make these without the crust and they would be fine.

I really think this is totally doable! I was getting ready to make a quiche to use up the eggs, before they go bad, ,because I havent actually had any eggs for about 2 weeks. And I've been making a huge effort to stop using mayo and premade Ranch, because of the "bad" oils in it (not so much because of eggs), so I can tell you it IS possible to find substitutes for these things!
ooh, eggless quiche? I love quiche--and I love cottage cheese. I'll check it out. Sadly, no on the vinaigarette dressings. But the ranch powder ideas are worth trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area?
They sell a Reduced Fat Cilantro Salad Dressing (2 carbs/serving, 45 cals) and a Parmesan Ranch Dressing (2 carbs/serving, 45 cals) that both do not have eggs in them. The "parmesan ranch" actually tastes more like a caesar dressing than a traditional ranch, but its good and creamy. The cilantro tastes like more traditional ranch dressing with poblano and cilantro flavors.

The labels do say "processed on equipment shared with other products containing eggs".... so I dont know how severe your egg intolerance is, or if its a true allergy, such that these products would be inappropriate. But there are no eggs in the ingredients list.
Yes, we have a new Trader Joe's ...thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I didn't know that you could develop an intolerance to eggs. My teenage son started cooking eggs for breakfast a few months ago, and he eats a lot of them, 6-8 every day. How does this intolerance develop? Thanks.
Looking back, I think it's been coming on for years. I used to often have this sinus pressure, always accompanied by a sleepy, foggy feeling. I noticed it was right after meals and I blamed everything but the eggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I ate a ton of eggs for years while low carbing and I also developed an intolerance to them. I kept getting really sick to my stomach a few hours after breakfast, but not every day. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out it was only when I had eggs for breakfast. I researched and discovered that you can, indeed, develop an intolerance to almost anything. In the case of eggs, it's usually the proteins in the whites that offend. The good news is that after avoiding them for about a year, I was able to reintroduce them very slowly without any more symptoms. For the past several years I've continued eating them like before. I hope you have a similar experience.
Good to know...I miss my eggs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
A friend and her partner did lc(atkins 2002) without eggs due to allergies and lost tons.She said they ate a lot of tinned meat(tuna,chicken,crab)and just avoided lc baking.

Years later and they are still thin and healthy.
Thanks, think I just need to put some time and effort in to figuring out new meals and/or egg replacements...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I hope you'll find some good recipes that are egg-free. Maybe you can start a thread with new recipes that you find.

I occasionally make a simple recipe I call Pumpkin Fluff. One of my sons just loves it and would eat the entire thing if I'd let him.

6-8 oz Neufchatel or regular cream cheese, softened
15 oz can pumpkin
1/8 t stevia or other sweetener to taste
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Beat cream cheese, add pumpkin and other ingredients.

The pumpkin flavor is more pronounced if you use less than the entire package of cream cheese, but the carbs are a bit lower per serving if you use the entire package.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babyblues_28748
Stats: 224/217/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 9/1/2012
What is bulletproof coffee?
babyblues_28748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Google "Cook's Thesaurus". There are several sub solutions for baked goods. There is also a product called egg replacer. I think Bobs Red Mill has one, not at Netrition.

This is what I woul try for a LC OMM

egg replacer= 1 egg
2 T water
1/4t gluc or xanthum gum
1/2t baking powder
1 T shortening
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote