LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethanyblondie
Stats: 255/173/140
WOE: I have the Lap Band/Atkin's
Start Date: Restarted 1/28/2013
Hands and Face feel tingly after eating sugar now

Any time now if I even have one meal high in carbs, about two days later my hands feel tingly and are hard to move, and my face tingles and it even makes my bottom lip contract kind of funny. I thought maybe it was a vitamin deficiency or something, so I've really stayed on top of taking my multi-vitamin, magnesium, and potassium supplements. So I took a chance and let myself eat a piece of cake for my birthday and as usual, two days later the fuzzy, tinglyness started creeping in. It makes it where my thumbs sort of pull inward and it takes a lot of effort to straighten my finger out.

Then, after about two days it always completely goes away and I'm totally fine. But it's disheartening to think I can't even have a little treat once in a while without feeling like my hands don't work right for two days, or my face looking weird. I'm assuming my body is having some overreaction to getting a dump of sugar to process...but I don't know. I can't find anything on the internet that matches my situation at all. I don't have diabetes or am pre-diabetic. I have a clean bill of health...

Anybody else experience this? Or how to help it when it happens? Or am I going to have to resolve that this is the price for having a treat or a higher carb meal once in a while?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanyblondie View Post
Any time now if I even have one meal high in carbs, about two days later my hands feel tingly and are hard to move, and my face tingles and it even makes my bottom lip contract kind of funny. I thought maybe it was a vitamin deficiency or something, so I've really stayed on top of taking my multi-vitamin, magnesium, and potassium supplements. So I took a chance and let myself eat a piece of cake for my birthday and as usual, two days later the fuzzy, tinglyness started creeping in. It makes it where my thumbs sort of pull inward and it takes a lot of effort to straighten my finger out.

Then, after about two days it always completely goes away and I'm totally fine. But it's disheartening to think I can't even have a little treat once in a while without feeling like my hands don't work right for two days, or my face looking weird. I'm assuming my body is having some overreaction to getting a dump of sugar to process...but I don't know. I can't find anything on the internet that matches my situation at all. I don't have diabetes or am pre-diabetic. I have a clean bill of health...

Anybody else experience this? Or how to help it when it happens? Or am I going to have to resolve that this is the price for having a treat or a higher carb meal once in a while?
Huh, my first thought was that it sounded like your blood sugar (despite not being diabetic) could spike high enough from a large amount of sugar after not eating it for a while and then what you were experiencing was the subsequent low blood sugar affect effects... but that doesn't even make any sense really when you take into account how delayed that reaction would have to be

I really have no idea how something like that could happen days after the fact. That's very strange! I do know after cutting out sugar/carbs it does make a LOT of people sick in different ways to have a "cheat" meal. I've never done it myself, so I really don't know how I'd react... sicker than a dog I'd assume!

Would it be possible to look into baking yourself some treats now and again when you really want to treat yourself to a carby dessert? You could use an artificial sweetener (or even stevia or xylitol or something similar) instead of sugar that way, and hopefully avoid that nasty reaction to sugar! There are lots of lower carb baking recipes
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your response. I guess my concern is just never being able to go have chips and salsa and some Mexican food once in a while or something like that without this happening. Sweets are extremely rare for me to eat. It's just such a weird thing to happen. It's more severe sometimes than other times. It just... sucks!
Bethanyblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm... maybe you could try making some cheese chips at home? I made myself a cheese taco shell this afternoon to make a taco for lunch, and it was really good. Held up really well to the filling too

As far as dining out at Mexican restaurants goes, my tip is to NEVER go there completely starving if whoever you're with will insist on getting chips. I usually tell them not to bring them unless my dining partner really wants them, in which case I'm usually not TOO inclined to snack so long as I'm not completely starving when I get there. I find that I can easily wait for my meal at that point.

The BEST thing to order at a Mexican restaurant though is fajitas, with no tortillas or rice/beans on the side! I love getting a giant side of cheese and sour cream, and usually ask for avocado as well because I love avocadoes... sometimes olives too if they have them. Then you just eat it with a fork, and it's completely guilt free!

Just throwing it out there in case that helps
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Do you eat the melty cheese, raindrops? I stay away from it because it has milk in it. Just wondering if you know how many carbs are in it. I would love to have some on my meat but I've been too afraid to.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I still would love to know if anyone else out there has experienced the scary tingly hands/face situation?? There is no way I can be the only one.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rredle
This is the first time I've ever posted, but I wanted you to know that you are not the only one. Several years ago I suffered with Burning Mouth disorder. It caused the tingling and tight feeling in my face and hands. Since going low carb the only time I have problems with it is when I eat higher carb. I've always thought it had something to do with the nervous system, but I have no proof. Exercising with weights also helps. Hope this helps.
Rredle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Interesting. I definitely do not have burning mouth syndrome, from everything I just looked up. I couldn't find anything about the tingling/tight hands being associated with BMS. I've never had any of the BMS symptoms. So alas... still searching for someone who has the same issue.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Do you eat the melty cheese, raindrops? I stay away from it because it has milk in it. Just wondering if you know how many carbs are in it. I would love to have some on my meat but I've been too afraid to.
Hmmm... melty cheese? I'm trying to think of what you might be referring to here. My restaurant appears to use some colby jack looking blend for cheese. Are you talking about queso fresco? (the white crumbly cheese used in traditional Mexican cuisine?) Or are you talking about straight up queso, that's more like nacho cheese?

I'm guessing you might be talking about queso as in the nacho type cheese. If so, I honestly don't know how many carbs are in it beyond knowing that the standard nacho cheese sauce is pretty carby due to it being a sauce... so there's a thickener added of course. I think a similar effect is put into play when making queso.

I would say if you're not SUPER strict like me on carbs and can get away with being closer to the 50g a day for NK, you should be okay with one serving of queso. But keep in mind that's likely not too large. Probably a couple tablespoons at most. I just stick with the shredded cheese they give me and sour cream, and I'm a happy camper though
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, if it's queso cheese dip you're looking for after all cfine... this is what I've found while searching. Obviously it'd vary wildly from restaurant to restaurant depending on what's used in their sauce/how much of certain things are used, but looking at my tracker I've checked out Trader Joe's queso, Tostito's brand, and one other... and they're all between 3-7g of carbs per 2T.

Too much for me, but it may be an option for you in moderation
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The only time I've experienced a facial 'tingly' feeling that sometimes goes down to my arms/hands is when I accidentally have MSG in a restaurant meal, as I'm very sensitive to MSG. But my reaction is within 30 min., not days later. It would be very unusual to have a reaction to any food days later.

Also, my reactions to MSG have increased in severity over time, so I try to be especially careful. The last reaction almost sent me to the ER because my BP plummeted, too. Fortunately, the episode only lasted 20 min.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I have had leg tingles and bad leg cramps twice in the laste after really over-doing sugar (much worse that what I get from not getting enough Potassium during induction). In my mind it was clearly connected to way too much sugar (wine and ice cream if that can be believed), and I am not going to do that again. I am not sure what was happening physiologically, but these cramps were bad. Makes me wonder if your face issues are connected to nervous system in some mysterious way.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I would assume it's connected to the nervous system, I just don't exactly what is happening and why it takes a couple of days AFTER I eat high carb to kick in. SO weird...and still sounds like no one else has experienced quite the exact same thing. But I know everyone's bodies are different and I just have to assume my body has a freak out from the dump of sugar/carbs. I hope as I get closer to goal and start incorporating more carbs back in daily, I won't have such a dramatic reaction. Losing major function in your hands for two days is NOT fun!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

A friend of mine has a gluten intolerance and has neurological symptoms (nerve pain, tingling) when she eats anything containing gluten, often that last for about a week. She is not celiac, however.

She developed an autoimmune reaction to gluten after being given a rabies vaccine (very, very low chance of that happening to anyone else, but someone she was the unlucky one).
JustKeepBreathing is offline   Reply With Quote