LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Adding back steel cut oats

Since I've been hovering close to goal now - and I want this to be a lifelong plan NOT just a diet - I'm starting to slowly add a few more good healthy carbs. I love steel cut oats, and since they are not wheat I'm hoping they don't have the same effect on me as wheat.

For any of you close or at goal, or just eating higher carb ratios, what can you tell me about how they affect you? I know everyone will handle things differently, but just trying to get a feel.

Thanks!!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I can't really speak for how they'd affect me NOW given that I've been LC for so long at this point. But at the start of my weight loss (before I joined up here, probably some time in January or February) I was following the low glycemic load diet pretty much... and steel cut oats are the lowest oat on the glycemic load chart, which is a very good thing. This means it'll likely have minimal effect on your blood sugar as compared to other things that are higher up on the list.

I also found that when I made mine (I did refrigerator overnight oats) 1/4 to 1/2 cup was PLENTY for a breakfast all on its own for me. Very surprising because I was a big overeater before, but they're very filling due to all the fiber and how they soak up liquids!

I found that I was losing okay when I was eating them every so often at the time, once or twice a day in that quantity... so I'm pretty sure someone could work it into maintenance I was adding xylitol as my sweetener, but I'm sure sucralose or something would be even more carb conscious. If you're especially worried (and you enjoy the flavor anyway) I'd highly recommend adding a nice amount of cinnamon into your oats when you make them. This works with hot oats OR cold (I preferred mine cold actually). Cinnamon is known to help diminish the effect things have on our blood sugar as well, and I've heard accounts from many diabetic folks who had a lot of luck adding cinnamon to their steel cut oats

Anyway, hope that helps! I think so long as you don't go crazy adding fruits and such to it, and probably pair it with a fat (and maybe use some cinnamon) you'll be perfectly fine eating reasonable servings of it. The only way to know for sure though will be to try it!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
When I was pregnant a couple years ago I added steel cut oats to my maintenance plan and they worked well for me. I didnt gain on them and in fact only gained 12 lbs the entire pregnancy. I dont test my blood sugar but I cant imagine they had a negative effect. I look forward to adding them again once I am done losing.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
We cook a BIG pot of steel cut oats pack it into a baking dish, chill overnight. Cut off a slab and fry in butter until it's crispy around the edges. I don't have any unwanted effects.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/117/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
This is great to read. I have recently discovered that I can eat beans and lentils without having a problem.

I will make a point of trying SC Oats sometime soon. It would have been nice to know during this cold winter!
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
After nine years on Atkins I probably never will add them back. I use Oat Flour on occasion and worry about that all the time. I also don't plan on adding back any thing like apples, grapes, banana's,popcorn etc. I do eat a sweet potato once in a while but rarely

I feel I cannot add them back because adding them back would set me on a slippery slope that will destroy my way of life I fear.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try a very small serving and see how I do. I can monitor my blood sugar, but more importantly, monitor how I feel and if it sets off any cravings. One food I have stayed totally away from since starting is bread because I don't think I could have just one piece. I'm hoping that oats won't have the same effect on my. I want this woe to be a new lifelong change for the better so there are things that I would like to enjoy. However, if it means bringing back all the bad cravings then it's definitely not worth it!

I'll report back as to the effects!

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I can tell you that I'm very close to goal, but still keeping my carbs low enough to keep in OWL...the sad fact for me is that there is no such thing as "maintenance".
If I tell myself "I'm at goal" I will invariably start to gain.
What I do, is to keep myself at <50g of carbs. This amount for me will keep me in ketosis and losing fat, albeit very slowly. I have an occasional 'off plan' day, and the weight shows up immediately, so it's back to owl. And so it goes.
Hope you system works for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try a very small serving and see how I do. I can monitor my blood sugar, but more importantly, monitor how I feel and if it sets off any cravings. One food I have stayed totally away from since starting is bread because I don't think I could have just one piece. I'm hoping that oats won't have the same effect on my. I want this woe to be a new lifelong change for the better so there are things that I would like to enjoy. However, if it means bringing back all the bad cravings then it's definitely not worth it!

I'll report back as to the effects!
I hear you there about bread! I used to be able to put away half a loaf of french bread in one sitting all by myself... this was just last December, so I'm definitely not over my fear of bread yet and probably never will be. Maybe if I can find a suitably low carb recipe that doesn't contain wheat or gluten. MAYBE. And then I'd hope it didn't taste amazing anyway so I wouldn't want to have it all the time

I'm not sure what would happen to me nowadays if I ate the oats, but I found that when I ate them back in January/February (and this was before ketosis, so before the cravings really subsided anyway) I didn't think they caused any cravings or anything like that. Sometimes I'd be tempted to just eat them again for another meal because they tasted so darn good (seriously, I was mixing PB2 and cinnamon in there with some sweetener ) but nothing like the crazy carb cliff I fall off of when I eat rice or bread
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
I tried the steel cut oats today, eating what was equivalent to 1/4 cup dry measure. Sad to say it shot my BG up 50 points, testing 1 hour after eating. I monitor when trying something new so that I don't become diabetic. Darn!! Was looking forward to a change in menu.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex57 View Post
I tried the steel cut oats today, eating what was equivalent to 1/4 cup dry measure. Sad to say it shot my BG up 50 points, testing 1 hour after eating. I monitor when trying something new so that I don't become diabetic. Darn!! Was looking forward to a change in menu.
Aren't you supposed to test two hours after eating? That's what my meter says anyway. If you're really interested in eating them, you may want to try them again some time with plenty of cinnamon added and maybe pair it with a fat. YMMV but many diabetic friends have told me this helped them avoid a significant spike in their BG after eating them
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
I test at 1 hour and again at 2 hours. I will usually climb a little between the two. However, today I went from 74 before eating to 125 the first hour then dropped down to 90 my second hour. I haven't ever had such a swing before. Also, I found the oats to not be satisfying even w/2 T. 1/2 n 1/2 and adding a couple of HB egg whites to up the protein and a teas. of coconut oil. Was hungry soon after.

I don't handle cinnamon very well. Gives me indigestion. Another darn, for I like it a lot.

Last edited by alex57; 04-25-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: additional thought
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #13

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex57 View Post
I test at 1 hour and again at 2 hours. I will usually climb a little between the two. However, today I went from 74 before eating to 125 the first hour then dropped down to 90 my second hour. I haven't ever had such a swing before. Also, I found the oats to not be satisfying even w/2 T. 1/2 n 1/2 and adding a couple of HB egg whites to up the protein and a teas. of coconut oil. Was hungry soon after.

I don't handle cinnamon very well. Gives me indigestion. Another darn, for I like it a lot.
There are quite a few here that are starving after eating oats, Ive heard it several times on LCF. For me, they really fill me up and that is no easy feat! Everyone is different I suppose.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
For me, they really fill me up and that is no easy feat!
Same here! Like I mentioned, I haven't eaten them since starting LC but even before when I had ravenous hunger issues... 1/4 to 1/2 cup was enough for me with what little stuff I stirred into it (PB2, sweetener, cinnamon... sometimes some chopped almonds) and I was STUFFED. It was like some sort of miracle. No wonder I wanted to keep eating them at the time!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
When I wasn't on plan, oatmeal was great to eat, would satisfy in the short term, but I would be starving after a couple of hours, maximum. I would have it with half & half and liquid Splenda, but I would have to literally plan another meal within a few hours of eating it, or my blood sugar would bottom out and I would be shaking and headachy. Very few foods did that to me, but oatmeal (always steel cut) was one.

I haven't had it since I've been back on plan, and probably won't be able to until at least maintenance, if ever.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Update after trying

This morning I had my first bowl of steel cut oats in almost a year! And they were delicious!! I cooked them using the overnight soak method, used plenty of cinnamon and some Ideal brown sugar and then added a few almonds and 2 T of cream to my serving. The serving size on the package is 1/4 c dry, however once you cook and soak it overnight it expands a lot so I ended up actually eating about a half serving. (I could have eaten more cause it tasted so darn good, but did not need to).

I tested my bg after 1 and 2 hours. After the first hour it was up about 15 points, and then dropped a couple of points at 2 hours. This is less of a rise then I get with other higher carb foods, like greek yogurt. One of my go to quick breakfasts is greed yogurt with a couple of berries, and that has around the same amount of carbs as this serving of oats, however the oats have no sugars, where the yogurt and berries are much higher in sugar.

So, all in all, for me I think this was a good test! I'll need to monitor to make sure it doesn't kick in any cravings, but so far so good!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling View Post
This morning I had my first bowl of steel cut oats in almost a year! And they were delicious!! I cooked them using the overnight soak method, used plenty of cinnamon and some Ideal brown sugar and then added a few almonds and 2 T of cream to my serving. The serving size on the package is 1/4 c dry, however once you cook and soak it overnight it expands a lot so I ended up actually eating about a half serving. (I could have eaten more cause it tasted so darn good, but did not need to).

I tested my bg after 1 and 2 hours. After the first hour it was up about 15 points, and then dropped a couple of points at 2 hours. This is less of a rise then I get with other higher carb foods, like greek yogurt. One of my go to quick breakfasts is greed yogurt with a couple of berries, and that has around the same amount of carbs as this serving of oats, however the oats have no sugars, where the yogurt and berries are much higher in sugar.

So, all in all, for me I think this was a good test! I'll need to monitor to make sure it doesn't kick in any cravings, but so far so good!
That's great news! I'm so glad it seems to be working out for you... I bet the cinnamon helped a little
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm currently in NY visiting my folks. They eat alot of oatmeal, and I used to enjoy it with various additives.
But I'm not even tempted to try so much as a taste. I just don't eat it anymore and that's all there is to it.
I'm glad you found something you enjoy that isn't derailing you.
May we all eat well and be healthy
avid is offline   Reply With Quote