LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
please talk me down!!!

Crappity crap! I had the worst day. A stupid diabetic event I think (though everything does not add up, but that's a question for my peeps over on the diabetes forum I post at). I woke up with a high blood sugar, which was pretty surprising and then did a ton of insulin with mixed results, then suddenly it was a big notch higher, and ten minutes later I got insanely nauseous and I was not home -- I was like puking in a parking lot. And I had to go pick up my kid from school, stopping several times bc I just couldn't make it in one go. It was horrible!!!

So, I finally got home, where puking would be practically a walk in the park compared to doing it while you're driving all over the place and trying not to be seen by your kid's friends and their parents. But within about an hour I was pretty much fine. Whatever it is I am over it but starving and feeling sorry for myself. Low carb is not what I'm wanting. My first choice, if I could have anything in the house, would be about six bowls of gorilla munch, which is like 100% carb and fairly sweet (though not as bad as most grocery store cereals, at least its made of real food, not all chemically) and if I can't have that... there are a couple of bananas in the kitchen that I would immensely enjoy with some peanut butter on them. I know that I cannot stop at one bowl or one banana, that is out of the Q. That's just not how I am while eating carbs.

Cripes. This is a crisis! I think I may go for the bananas. At least it seems like maybe I'm wanting them for the potassium, or maybe I'm fooling myself?

ETA: Is it a little bulimic of me to hope that I can have my bananas and then have another round of yacking?

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-24-2013 at 07:27 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I'm eating my bananas.

I'm actually a little worried that my esophagus has been damaged or burned by the apple cider vinegar coming back up. It really hurts. My throat normally hurts after puking, but this is different.

And now that I've had two bites of my banana, I think my bulimic dreams may come true. My tummy is not feeling so stable.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/222/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
So sorry Rubidoux! It sounds like you have some kind of virus. I would be willing to bet that was why your BS was high this morning.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
Sorry you are having such a bad day. Hope tomorrow is better with only good blood sugar readings.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, debstin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
So sorry Rubidoux! It sounds like you have some kind of virus. I would be willing to bet that was why your BS was high this morning.
I think this is possible, too. The thing that makes me wonder if it's a diabetic thing (DKA to be precise) is that I had my pod on my butt (pod is what normally delivers my insulin, it's a tubeless insulin pump) where I couldn't see it and when I got home, dh looked at it and said the cannula that needs to be under my skin was sticking out, thus, I was not getting any insulin through it, though I don't know when that started. But, as I said this theory doesn't really add up when you consider all the details. It may very well have been a coincidence that I had the pod failure and a virus going at the same time.

There must really be something wrong with me bc I ate 1 1/3 bananas and don't really want any more. I do kinda think the gorilla munch sounds good, but I'm not gonna go there.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
That sounds exactly like the norovirus my family has been hit with. Uncontrollable vomiting and feeling quite 'off'. But whether it was a bug or insulin related I hope you feel better soon!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
I have not had a banana for at least 10 months. Of course, i am not diabetic either. But buy them occ for the grandkids and they smell so good. I figure some day when i get to maintenance i will maybe have one. Am glad you discovered the problem with your pump. I have a long time friend that has been insulin dependent since we were teenagers and that has been a very long time ago. She has faced many trials and challenges with her diabetes. I wish she would eat lc, but she is not interested. She has gained a great deal of wt since she went on the pump. So it is good that you are so dedicated and aware of your diet and finding the best WOE for you.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
That sounds exactly like the norovirus my family has been hit with. Uncontrollable vomiting and feeling quite 'off'. But whether it was a bug or insulin related I hope you feel better soon!
Oh gosh, is that what little Holly had? Poor thing! And poor mama. Ugh.

My throat actually feels a little bit better now. I actually think the soft banana was kinda nice on it. Maybe I needed the banana (I need to justify it somehow). I googled vomiting apple cider burns and came up with a ton of people suggesting to take apple cider for vomiting and to continue until you stop. I gotta say, I don't think that sounds like a great idea. I guess the idea is that the vinegar kills whatever it is in your gut that's causing the problem. But all I had in my stomach before I started puking was ACV and coffee and it was not pretty. Also, the ACV didn't seem to have killed anything.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debstin View Post
I have not had a banana for at least 10 months. Of course, i am not diabetic either. But buy them occ for the grandkids and they smell so good. I figure some day when i get to maintenance i will maybe have one. Am glad you discovered the problem with your pump. I have a long time friend that has been insulin dependent since we were teenagers and that has been a very long time ago. She has faced many trials and challenges with her diabetes. I wish she would eat lc, but she is not interested. She has gained a great deal of wt since she went on the pump. So it is good that you are so dedicated and aware of your diet and finding the best WOE for you.
Oh man, I wish she would try it, too. I've been type I for exactly 20 years (april 14th, sigh) and I'm just starting to show signs of complications (like minimal signs that might not mean that I'm actually going to experience serious problems) and I am so happy that I have found this way of eating because I know it is the best I can do for myself.

When not eating LC, good blood sugar control always meant weight gain for me. I don't think it was a small part of my huge gains over the years. And then there were other times that I skimped on my insulin to not gain, which meant poor b/s control. You can't win if those are your only options.

And ya know, for some reason bananas are a food I can really crave while eating on plan. I would say half of my cheats have been bananas. But I do think they are not much better for us than a candy bar, and I'm willing to bet that the candy bar would be more satisfying.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnsnana
Stats: 129/118/107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Crappity crap! I had the worst day. A stupid diabetic event I think (though everything does not add up, but that's a question for my peeps over on the diabetes forum I post at). I woke up with a high blood sugar, which was pretty surprising and then did a ton of insulin with mixed results, then suddenly it was a big notch higher, and ten minutes later I got insanely nauseous and I was not home -- I was like puking in a parking lot. And I had to go pick up my kid from school, stopping several times bc I just couldn't make it in one go. It was horrible!!!

So, I finally got home, where puking would be practically a walk in the park compared to doing it while you're driving all over the place and trying not to be seen by your kid's friends and their parents. But within about an hour I was pretty much fine. Whatever it is I am over it but starving and feeling sorry for myself. Low carb is not what I'm wanting. My first choice, if I could have anything in the house, would be about six bowls of gorilla munch, which is like 100% carb and fairly sweet (though not as bad as most grocery store cereals, at least its made of real food, not all chemically) and if I can't have that... there are a couple of bananas in the kitchen that I would immensely enjoy with some peanut butter on them. I know that I cannot stop at one bowl or one banana, that is out of the Q. That's just not how I am while eating carbs.

Cripes. This is a crisis! I think I may go for the bananas. At least it seems like maybe I'm wanting them for the potassium, or maybe I'm fooling myself?

ETA: Is it a little bulimic of me to hope that I can have my bananas and then have another round of yacking?
Can you tell me more about the intermittent fasting. I read a book on it & also a few websites on it. I tried the 16 hour fast followed by a lower calorie day. I was surprised how long you can go without actually being hungry. It gave me a jump start when I was doing a low calorie count plan of 1150 calories per day. I didn't miss the additional calories and adapted to the 1150 much easier. It was just an experiment since I am back to LC but I am curious as to how you incorporate it?
johnsnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Most of the time, I just have a coffee at starbucks w HWC during the day and then one meal (as I'm a creature of habit, that has been 2 salmon burgers and a whole avocado w fresh salsa for the last couple of weeks). I do switch up my meal about here and there but that's usually the gist of it.

Yesterday was a little different, partly bc I was kinda recovering from having been sick and maybe from eating those d*mned bananas the day before. I ended up having some buffalo wings at about 3 pm followed by a starbucks w HWC and then in the evening I had one ounce of cheese. I had my cheese pretty late, so it wasn't like a small window. But I was impressed that I had no appetite really after those wings and went seven hours without eating (way, way more than I would comfortably go eating SAD). I had been thinking I'd probably have an avocado w salsa for "dinner" but I didn't need it.

For me, I think IF'ing works really nicely with HF/MP/LC. I wouldn't even want to attempt it if I was eating carbs. In fact I started eating this way first and then found I just didn't want to eat as often. Then I started reading about IF.

If you have any specific Q, lmk.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Most of the time, I just have a coffee at starbucks w HWC during the day and then one meal (as I'm a creature of habit, that has been 2 salmon burgers and a whole avocado w fresh salsa for the last couple of weeks). I do switch up my meal about here and there but that's usually the gist of it.

Yesterday was a little different, partly bc I was kinda recovering from having been sick and maybe from eating those d*mned bananas the day before. I ended up having some buffalo wings at about 3 pm followed by a starbucks w HWC and then in the evening I had one ounce of cheese. I had my cheese pretty late, so it wasn't like a small window. But I was impressed that I had no appetite really after those wings and went seven hours without eating (way, way more than I would comfortably go eating SAD). I had been thinking I'd probably have an avocado w salsa for "dinner" but I didn't need it.

For me, I think IF'ing works really nicely with HF/MP/LC. I wouldn't even want to attempt it if I was eating carbs. In fact I started eating this way first and then found I just didn't want to eat as often. Then I started reading about IF.

If you have any specific Q, lmk.
I haven't figured out how to send you a personal message, is it through requesting to be friends? I did that today. Anway, I started fasting last night at 8pm. Got up at 6:30 so I could run outside. Ran 8 miles (more of a jog 5mph). Plan on eating from 3pm-8pm. I have gone 16 hours before but 19 hours is a bit harder, especially after than 8 miler. Now the question, what do I eat? I am eating 99% clean today, veggies, nuts, chicken, plain yogurt, black beans, but added a serving of barley, which is a no no normally since I try keeping NC at 40 or less. Today it will be closer to 75-100. I'm hoping I will be full at 75 NC by 8pm which is 1050 calories. I may have the plans mixed up a bit because I read about cutting back 500 calories on non exercise days & adding 500 on exercise days. My question is 500 calories from what, my set point, or my Atkins daily calories, because they are quite different. On atkins my calories are 1750-1850. If using basic calorie counting on my weight of 118 & maintaining that, it would be around 1450-1500. I read the longevity diet & try to eat a lot of those foods without adding too many additional carbs but also read the leangains plan & try to incorporate that. the fast 5 book is on its way to me now. I know mixing plans can be detrimental & cause weight gain or no loss, can you help?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnana View Post
I haven't figured out how to send you a personal message, is it through requesting to be friends? I did that today. Anway, I started fasting last night at 8pm. Got up at 6:30 so I could run outside. Ran 8 miles (more of a jog 5mph). Plan on eating from 3pm-8pm. I have gone 16 hours before but 19 hours is a bit harder, especially after than 8 miler. Now the question, what do I eat? I am eating 99% clean today, veggies, nuts, chicken, plain yogurt, black beans, but added a serving of barley, which is a no no normally since I try keeping NC at 40 or less. Today it will be closer to 75-100. I'm hoping I will be full at 75 NC by 8pm which is 1050 calories. I may have the plans mixed up a bit because I read about cutting back 500 calories on non exercise days & adding 500 on exercise days. My question is 500 calories from what, my set point, or my Atkins daily calories, because they are quite different. On atkins my calories are 1750-1850. If using basic calorie counting on my weight of 118 & maintaining that, it would be around 1450-1500. I read the longevity diet & try to eat a lot of those foods without adding too many additional carbs but also read the leangains plan & try to incorporate that. the fast 5 book is on its way to me now. I know mixing plans can be detrimental & cause weight gain or no loss, can you help?
Wow!!! There's a lot in that question! I gotta say, I'm not sure!!! lol But, I think probably the only way to get to your answer is to experiment. If I was you, knowing what I know about IF and macros... I'd start with eating whatever you want under a particular carb level (of your choice, mine has to be low or else I'll crave carbs and have blood sugar issues) and not worry about calories and just see what happens. You may find that you don't want to eat all that many calories and don't have to worry about it, just eat to satisfaction, yk?

Do you always do that much exercise? I exercise happily eating this way, and normally before I eat for the day, so usually there's just the 150 cals or so of HWC from my coffee, but I only walk between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 miles, depending on the day. A couple of days a week I do pretty hard hills, too. But I don't think it reaches the level you're doing. So, I'm not sure how that would be while fasting. I wonder if if adding something like 500 cals in before or just after the run would be a good idea. I just don't have any experience with such a heavy workout.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow!!! There's a lot in that question! I gotta say, I'm not sure!!! lol But, I think probably the only way to get to your answer is to experiment. If I was you, knowing what I know about IF and macros... I'd start with eating whatever you want under a particular carb level (of your choice, mine has to be low or else I'll crave carbs and have blood sugar issues) and not worry about calories and just see what happens. You may find that you don't want to eat all that many calories and don't have to worry about it, just eat to satisfaction, yk?

Do you always do that much exercise? I exercise happily eating this way, and normally before I eat for the day, so usually there's just the 150 cals or so of HWC from my coffee, but I only walk between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 miles, depending on the day. A couple of days a week I do pretty hard hills, too. But I don't think it reaches the level you're doing. So, I'm not sure how that would be while fasting. I wonder if if adding something like 500 cals in before or just after the run would be a good idea. I just don't have any experience with such a heavy workout.
Yeah, I like to give as much info as possible so viewers will know my background, etc..

I only do Rocky Hill (Exeter, CA) on Sunday's. The hills are too strenuous for a regular workout & I don't like doing 8 miles very often. I hear runners enjoy being sore on a regular basis but I guess I am the exception

I usually run 3-5 miles every other day on the treadmill but it is more a jog @ 5.2-6mph with 6 being the top speed. On opposite days I do some weights but nothing major (maybe 30 min worth tops for toning.

I had tried 16 hour fasting but this 19 fast from last night till 3pm was a bit much. Only because I don't think I would want to do it daily. I may try it again & see if it gets better but certainly not on an 8 mile jog day

I normally go 13-14 hours without eating anyway since I stop eating around 9-10pm get up & go to the gym by 8-9am & don't eat my first meal until 12:30 when I get back, so 16 hours wasn't hard at all. I just don't see how fasting 16 hours & not changing anything else calorie wise or percentage (fat/carb/protein) wise would encourage weight loss. I'm going to try a cleaner eating plan and eat a little less on my non jog days & see how it goes.

oh, btw, thank you for the suggestions. I used to be on the forums at Atkins but a lot of the members acted more like know it alls & were more critical than helpful. Everyone here seems very nice & not uptight if I talk about a food or diet that is not what I am currently on or want to experiment with something new. I really appreciate that.