Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Advice about LC and surgery (rhinoplasty/nose job)

I'm getting a rhinoplasty (nose job) on Monday. (Finally!!! At age 44!!! )

I've been VLC for almost 3 years now. I haven't been out of ketosis the entire time -- really. Anything accidentaly put in my food (at restaurants) has given me 'sweaty lip, nausea, gastric distress', which has only happened about 3 times and I'm not sure if I've got a wheat or gluten sensitivity that I never knew about, or if it was just the hit of glucose that threw my system for a loop. Anyway, sugar/wheat/whatever makes me VERY sick.

I know that I'm going to make sure they don't give me a glucose drip. Saline only. I'm going to stay completely VLC on recovery, I just don't do (body can't handle) higher carb anymore. No crackers for me. Really.

I'm going to make my favorite chicken soup and blend it up, so I can suck it through a straw until I'm feeling better. That and my 'fat coffee' should get me through the first few days.

Anybody else have any 'nose job recovery' and/or 'LC recovery after surgery' tips?

Oh, the dr. says he won't be 'packing' my nose, so I think that makes recovery much less sickening/painful/distressful, from what I understand, in the first few days.

I've bought: Bromelain and Arnica

Magnesium: I already take every night, I plan on doubling the dose if needed when the pain meds kick in to prevent constipation.

Ice pack: yup.

Anything else?

Thanks!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-24-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I didn't have rhinoplasty, but I had serious sinus surgery three weeks ago. I am still recovering. It included fixing a deviated septum, removing some of the small bones in my sinus, and some other procedures.

I prepared food in my crock pot the night before, and had soup ready for a first few meals. Just broth, and then egg drop soup.

I had the IV drip that's suitable for diabetics, so it had some form of "ose" in it, but nothing that kicked me out of ketosis. I too get sick with hidden carbs, even if I'm not knocked out of ketosis. Plus, I didn't want to derail myself even further.

I will tell you that I was projectile vomiting blood for about 12 hours after surgery. Not. Fun. After that, it got better, and I could keep soup down, then more. I peed like a racehorse for the first day after surgery too, likely because of the fluids they pumped into me; I couldn't keep water down for the first few hours, so I was sucking on ice cubes.

The rest of the recovery is more sinus related (and I did have packing), so I won't bother to go into the gory details. I didn't gain anything. Maybe a pound or two of water weight, but that's part of my normal fluctuation. I think it was gone within a day or two.

Good luck! I hope you love the results!
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-24-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I didn't have rhinoplasty, but I had serious sinus surgery three weeks ago. I am still recovering. It included fixing a deviated septum, removing some of the small bones in my sinus, and some other procedures.

I prepared food in my crock pot the night before, and had soup ready for a first few meals. Just broth, and then egg drop soup.

I had the IV drip that's suitable for diabetics, so it had some form of "ose" in it, but nothing that kicked me out of ketosis. I too get sick with hidden carbs, even if I'm not knocked out of ketosis. Plus, I didn't want to derail myself even further.

I will tell you that I was projectile vomiting blood for about 12 hours after surgery. Not. Fun. After that, it got better, and I could keep soup down, then more. I peed like a racehorse for the first day after surgery too, likely because of the fluids they pumped into me; I couldn't keep water down for the first few hours, so I was sucking on ice cubes.

The rest of the recovery is more sinus related (and I did have packing), so I won't bother to go into the gory details. I didn't gain anything. Maybe a pound or two of water weight, but that's part of my normal fluctuation. I think it was gone within a day or two.

Good luck! I hope you love the results!
We're getting a lot of the same stuff done. He'll be cutting/breaking off the top 'bump' and then breaking both sides of my nose to bring them in. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be very bruised. (I hope he doesn't end up having to put packing! I hear that's the pits.)

I've heard that I might vomit on the way home if a lot of blood goes down into my stomach during surgery. But once it's out, shouldn't vomit any more. But it doesn't sound fun.

Did they give you morphine after surgery? It always makes me vomit non-stop. So I finally put on my medical file "allergic to morphine" and now in surgeries they give me Percocet after recovery and, magically, no more vomit.

I'm going to have a cup of coffee waiting for me in the car. If I'm able, I'm going to drink it afterwards, which may help prevent vomiting for me, as I'm addicted to it and it actually settles my stomach.

How are you feeling three weeks out?

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-24-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm not allergic to morphine, I do fine with it, it was just all the blood I swallowed during and after the procedure, it was horrendous. And when you vomit, it puts pressure on your face, which makes it hurt and bleed even more, which leads to more vomiting.

Anyway, the facial pain from the surgery is finally down to manageable levels, but unfortunately, the deep sinus infection I've had since January is still here. So I'm still dealing with the complications.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I ate a burger the night after my nose job...
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I ate a burger the night after my nose job...
Good to know, I was getting quite scared!

Did you throw up blood? How many times?

Did you have packing?

How "bad" was it? I've had a couple of really bad/painful surgeries that took a month (or more, for one of them) before I could walk without pain, I'm thinking this one won't be as bad. Am I wrong?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just want to be honest, because I'd rather be prepared than think it's a breeze when it's not. But your procedure is much less intense than mine.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just want to be honest, because I'd rather be prepared than think it's a breeze when it's not. But your procedure is much less intense than mine.
LOL, I know and I appreciate it!

I was just really hoping I would not have to throw up . . . and especially not multiple times . . . ((crossing fingers))
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I never had any nose or sinus surgery, but arnica sure works.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
I don't have any advice but good luck, and please post pics of your new nose. It is one thing I would have had done if I could afford it. I have always been conscious of my nose and would have liked the bump removed.
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post
I don't have any advice but good luck, and please post pics of your new nose. It is one thing I would have had done if I could afford it. I have always been conscious of my nose and would have liked the bump removed.
I will. I've taken a very ugly profile pic of myself (ugh!) and will be able to compare. (I have tons of front-facing pics of myself, but never get a full-on side view --- there's a reason why . . . )
Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

GETTING SCARED.

I know that I WANT this surgery and I'm happy to be getting it done, but last night a little fear crept in and I got a small moment of panic. Worried about the pain, worried about complications -- what if I hate the new nose more than the old bump? (Doubt it, but while I'm worrying I'll throw that in. ) Panic about how horrible the recovery might be . . .

I guess everybody gets a little scared before a painful surgery, but also one that's going to be on their FACE. From YouTube diary videos of people who got nose jobs and cronicled them day by day, some have it very bad and some not so bad at all after day 3. Some throw up, some don't.

Any words of wisdom? (Besides 'Don't do it.')

Thanks

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-27-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
My mom had sinus surgery, similar sounding to ntombi's. She stayed with me afterwards. We just had lots of liquid low carb 'soups' ready for her. She was religious about following the doctors aftercare sheets, including using a sinus rinse with salt and baking soda. She swears that using the sinus rinse helped the most. The only real problem she had was a raw nose, she couldn't blow, had to wipe, and we just got her some petroleum jelly.
It went a lot better pain wise, than the doc told her it would, and my mom seems to have a VERY low pain threshold. She did have some intestinal upset from swallowing some blood, but not to the point of vomiting.

Several of my aunts are nurses, and their advice is always the same for any surgery: Follow the aftercare instructions. They all say, it's amazing how often people don't.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
My mom had sinus surgery, similar sounding to ntombi's. She stayed with me afterwards. We just had lots of liquid low carb 'soups' ready for her. She was religious about following the doctors aftercare sheets, including using a sinus rinse with salt and baking soda. She swears that using the sinus rinse helped the most. The only real problem she had was a raw nose, she couldn't blow, had to wipe, and we just got her some petroleum jelly.
It went a lot better pain wise, than the doc told her it would, and my mom seems to have a VERY low pain threshold. She did have some intestinal upset from swallowing some blood, but not to the point of vomiting.

Several of my aunts are nurses, and their advice is always the same for any surgery: Follow the aftercare instructions. They all say, it's amazing how often people don't.
Thanks!

I've gotten some chap stick for my dry lips and some Polysporin, which I've seen that some people use that on a q-tip to clean their nose and some use hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip. I've read about a saline rinse also. I remember the nurse saying something about "Afrin spray or rinse" in my after-care package, but certainly she didn't mean REAL Afrin, probably was referring to a saline spray or something that they'd send me home with.

My dr. hasn't given me anything to read or do beforehand, the nuse said, "We'll send you home with everything you need." but I'd love to be reading the after-care instructions NOW. I suppose they do it that way not to freak people out beforehand, but I imagine I won't feel well afterwards and it won't be the best time for me to be reading instructions . . . but I will. My dh isn't very good at nursing people, so I need to know so I can tell him what I need.

I started taking Arnica and Bromelain today. From the videos it looks like those that took Arnica before surgery didn't bruise nearly as bad as those that didn't mention any Arnica.

I guess I'm just scared and i don't have anybody IRL to tell that to -- my dh would say, "Then don't do it." in his man-speak. I just need to tell someone, "I'm scared to do this and I want to do this at the same time." and have them understand. KWIM?

Thanks.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-27-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
Good to know, I was getting quite scared!

Did you throw up blood? How many times?

Did you have packing?

How "bad" was it? I've had a couple of really bad/painful surgeries that took a month (or more, for one of them) before I could walk without pain, I'm thinking this one won't be as bad. Am I wrong?
I did not throw up blood or anything else. I did have packing. Taking the packing out was the most painful part. I thought my gallbladder surgery was a lot harder to recover from.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I did not throw up blood or anything else. I did have packing. Taking the packing out was the most painful part. I thought my gallbladder surgery was a lot harder to recover from.
Thanks -- good to know.

I've had a couple of very painful abdominal surgeries, so I guess I'm just worried I'll wake up with my face hurting as bad as my abdomen did. Hopefully it won't. Someone told me yesterday that the nose actually gets numb on the end, so it helps.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
Thanks!

I've gotten some chap stick for my dry lips and some Polysporin, which I've seen that some people use that on a q-tip to clean their nose and some use hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip. I've read about a saline rinse also. I remember the nurse saying something about "Afrin spray or rinse" in my after-care package, but certainly she didn't mean REAL Afrin, probably was referring to a saline spray or something that they'd send me home with.

My dr. hasn't given me anything to read or do beforehand, the nuse said, "We'll send you home with everything you need." but I'd love to be reading the after-care instructions NOW. I suppose they do it that way not to freak people out beforehand, but I imagine I won't feel well afterwards and it won't be the best time for me to be reading instructions . . . but I will. My dh isn't very good at nursing people, so I need to know so I can tell him what I need.

I started taking Arnica and Bromelain today. From the videos it looks like those that took Arnica before surgery didn't bruise nearly as bad as those that didn't mention any Arnica.

I guess I'm just scared and i don't have anybody IRL to tell that to -- my dh would say, "Then don't do it." in his man-speak. I just need to tell someone, "I'm scared to do this and I want to do this at the same time." and have them understand. KWIM?

Thanks.
Mom was using polysporin, but had to switch to the petroleum jelly for better coverage. They did give her afrin nasal spray to use. As well as a nasal rinse bottle with little premixed packets of salt/baking soda that she mixed with warm water. It was designed so that she just tilted her head and let the mixed water run through her sinuses to flush them out. It was similar to a neti pot. Arnica is great for reducing bruising, I would just make sure that my doc knows you are taking it.

It IS scary to have surgery!! I have had several, one was an exploratory abdominal surgery, hands down the most painful recovery I've ever experienced. Looking back I am glad that it happened in an emergency situation, where I didn't have the waiting and THINKING beforehand.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

I am still doing the sinus rinse twice daily, but I couldn't start until after my first post-op visit. It does help.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
Mom was using polysporin, but had to switch to the petroleum jelly for better coverage. They did give her afrin nasal spray to use. As well as a nasal rinse bottle with little premixed packets of salt/baking soda that she mixed with warm water. It was designed so that she just tilted her head and let the mixed water run through her sinuses to flush them out. It was similar to a neti pot. Arnica is great for reducing bruising, I would just make sure that my doc knows you are taking it.

It IS scary to have surgery!! I have had several, one was an exploratory abdominal surgery, hands down the most painful recovery I've ever experienced. Looking back I am glad that it happened in an emergency situation, where I didn't have the waiting and THINKING beforehand.
Wow. I didn't expect real Afrin. I know it works really well to reduce nasal swelling though. Maybe that's the same kind of stuff I'll be getting.

I've used a Neti pot before, so if it's like that I can handle that (but would rather a squirty/spray thing.)

Yes, if I can just not think between now and then, I'll be fine. I'm watching movies, trying to keep my mind occupied. Tomorrow I cook my chicken soup so I'll have it for the first few days.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #20

When you first wake up, it hurts a lot. That part was bad. But once I was back in my room, I was doing fine.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

I use the squeeze bottle for the sinus rinse, and I use the premixed packets, both by NeilMed. You can just use sea salt, but I don't bother.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Beezer, good luck with the nose job. They offered to give me one 40 years ago for deviated septum. Being the medical coward I am, I declined. Wife had it done and a few years later it had grown back. Made me happy over my previous decision. She has had Iit done at least three times. She got over it pretty quickly each time.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Beezer, good luck with the nose job. They offered to give me one 40 years ago for deviated septum. Being the medical coward I am, I declined. Wife had it done and a few years later it had grown back. Made me happy over my previous decision. She has had Iit done at least three times. She got over it pretty quickly each time.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
Have not had any nasal surgeries and do not have any advice that you have not already been given. But will pray that all goes well and that you recover quickly!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

thinking of you and hope all went well !
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post
You and me both, makrida. I don't have a bump, but a broken nose I'd had since toddler.

Breezer Louisiana...Instead of being scared, how about focusing on the excitement of your new nose?
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Thinking of you Donna! Hope it was a breeze!
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
I hope all went well yesterday and that today isn't too painful. You should be so proud of yourself to have taken the decision to do something for you, in spite of possible pain.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Donna, hope your recovery is going well
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Hoping for a good recovery. Looking forward to pics when the swelling goes away.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote