LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
How fat bombs work for me.

So, I had a crazy work day today, lots of appointments on a tight schedule. I knew finding time for lunch was going to be tough. I'm not a breakfast eater, coffee only, thank you. But this morning I proactively had a chocolate fat bomb with my coffee.

As it turned out I could have squeezed in lunch at a point, something hurried and not enjoyed, but I didn't have to because I flat out wasn't a bit hungry all day. Picked myself up a lettuce wrapped cheese burger from Hardees on my way home at 5:30, and had that for dinner. I'm now totally sated.

I'll add my nightly cream and diet soda drink,---Hanson's strawberry/kiwi and cream tonight, YUM, I love these cream sodas---and that's going to be how I ate today.

I don't particularly love the taste of the chocolate/coconut fat bombs I made---too rich for me, will half the butter next time, as there's plenty of other oil in them AND almond butter,---but they're small and easy to get down, and man, do they do the trick for me.

Going to make lemon fat bombs this weekend for the variety. From the recipe I imagine them as a bit cheese cake like, and I'm going to add a splash of caramel sugar free syrup.

These fat bombs really can come in handy.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 318/239/295/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/14
Is there a recipe for these?
primroselane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primroselane View Post
Is there a recipe for these?
Here's the recipe I used:

My Low Carb Road to Better Health: FAT BOMBS!

I added coconut and chopped and roasted pecans.

Here's the recipe for the lemon fat bombs, from this site, courtesy of Knittering.

soften and blend:

• 4oz cream cheese, softened
• 8Tb coconut oil
• 2Tb sour cream
• 4Tb lemon juice + zest of one lemon

Pour into mini muffin/cupcake tin and freeze.

Note: Freeze for at least 30 minutes. Then pop them out of the tin, they come out easily, and put in a bag and re-freeze. You can eat the chocolate ones I made right out of the freezer. Assume the same is true of the lemon ones, not sure. Will know more when I try them.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Blue! So is the main objective of fat bombs to be a snack that's really high in fat? Does the kind of fat make a difference? I ask because my chances of finding almond or coconut butter are slim to none in my small town. I do have coconut oil, cream cheese and butter.... which sounds like a decent start for some experimenting.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /217.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Yes, the point is to get some healthy fats into you with little else.

And yes,they're always good straight from the freezer. If you let them thaw too much, depending on the ambient temperature, they'll get soft, possibly melt, and definitely be greasy rather than "snap" when you bite them. Frozen, they're about the consistency of a chocolate bar.

I use silicone cupcake molds for mine. (Shaped like hearts and flowers, as it happens.) My molds have a mark on them that's a measured 2TBS, so I can easily keep them a consistent serving-size. (This also HAPPENS to be a comfortable thickness to bite through.) They can be a lifesaver when you don't have time to eat or -- like recently -- when you have to go to "a dinner" or some other meal where you don't know what's going to be on the menu. Pop one beforehand, and even if it's a pasta-fest, you won't be wanting to eat the paint off the walls.

Most people on here make theirs "sweet", with flavors like lemon and chocolate. I went the other way, and tend to make mine salty, instead. There's a LOT of room to individualize these! Experiment, and you'll find a recipe or three that suits you.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
prim, almond butter is just ground almonds (at least that's the case with the kind I by), so you can make you own at home, should you want to. I ate way too many of Lit's recipe yesterday, no bad physical effects today, but I am giving them a rest for a few days. I was eating from stress no doubt about it, so my holiday from them is temporary. The lemony recipe is good too. I don't use sweetener, so I am less tempted to overeat those.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primroselane View Post
Thanks Blue! So is the main objective of fat bombs to be a snack that's really high in fat? Does the kind of fat make a difference? I ask because my chances of finding almond or coconut butter are slim to none in my small town. I do have coconut oil, cream cheese and butter.... which sounds like a decent start for some experimenting.
Prim---you can also order almond butter here, on Netrition. Same with the cocounut oil. Although if you have a large box grocery store anywhere near, you might be surprised to find they have at least one of them.

If you have or buy the standard muffin tin, you get 24 of them which lasts me a long time. I don't eat one every day, and if you make a batch of the lemon too, you'll have 48. Once you put them in a bag in the freezer, they take up very little room.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
I love the variety that is possible in fat bombs.. would love to hear about the savory ones, LiterateGriffin!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Tried chocolate version today.... thinking I'm going to try lemon next. That sounds too good!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmd1974
Stats: 268/225/160
WOE: Atkins...REAL Foods
Start Date: February 1, 2013
These are a TOTAL binge trigger for me. I made them once and it was like the whole batch was calling to me from my freezer. I can't have them around, sadly. Same goes for the cream cheese clouds.

Last edited by cmd1974; 04-25-2013 at 08:41 AM..
cmd1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
cmd, I had that experience on Wednesday, so I not going to make another batch right now. Stick to getting my fat in my approximation of bullet proof coffee for now.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
That sounds great! I am always looking for something as a "desert" treat. Was using Atkins bars, but they seem to cause stalls for me. This would be a great alternative to the coconut oil chocolate bark that has been my mainstay of late.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd1974 View Post
These are a TOTAL binge trigger for me. I made them once and it was like the whole batch was calling to me from my freezer. I can't have them around, sadly. Same goes for the cream cheese clouds.
I thought this would happen to me, but I was pleasantly surprised I was able to make 12 last about 3 weeks.. But it's always good to be aware of our Achilles' heels!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethierose View Post
I thought this would happen to me, but I was pleasantly surprised I was able to make 12 last about 3 weeks.. But it's always good to be aware of our Achilles' heels!
Yes, it's actually hard for me to get a whole one down. Not because it tastes bad, but because it is SO rich to me. I'm hoping the lemon bombs will be a bit lighter in taste and feel, although maybe it's that very richness that kills my appetite for hours. Was going to leave out half the butter next time, maybe I shouldn't.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd1974 View Post
That's exactly what I'm afraid of! I keep wanting to try them, but I'm so afraid I'll just devour them in one sitting!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
i made mine where they don't taste amazing but they taste where i can eat them and one is good enough with a dark chocolate added into the mix. no trouble not binging there because i don't desire to have them. ALSO mine are 16g of fat each so one little "peanut butter cup" size is enough too. I use mine as a in between meal or if i need more fat that day. These are extremely helpful when time doesn't work in my favor like I ate breakfast at 7am and my family wants to go out to eat at 2pm but i don't eat "lunch" because i wasn't hungry but at 2pm i'll be starving...fat bomb to the RESCUE!