Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
Did you accept slower weight loss in order to eat more carbs (50lbs or less)?

How did that work for you? Did you learn anything?
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
In the beginning of my current LC woe, yes I did. Did Atkins years ago, by the book, lost a lot of weight, but couldn't sustain the woe.

This time getting back on the LC woe, I couldn't face induction and decided to do it my way. Started in Feb. with a goal of 50 carbs a day or less. This represented a huge cut back for me, even if it wasn't Atkin's induction demands, but I accepted I'd lose weight slower this time, and was, and am, determine to be patient, as my health has become an issue---diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

Bottom line, 2 and 1/2 months, so far 8 to 10 lbs lost, depending on the day. I'll note that as I have grown into the woe again, I've made better and better choices and now find myself eating an average of between 25 and 30 grams of carbs a day. But the important thing for me, is I've done this via my own choices, and I'm happy with how it's going.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I did. I accepted slower loss to ease into a lifestyle change to insure it was permanent. The 'quick fix' attempts of my past did not teach me how to live my life healthier long term.

It worked well, IMO. 82 pounds in 14 months.

I learned I can be satisfied living an LC lifestyle and that I can REALLY enjoy my food options. If I had been too restrictive, I might have felt deprived and that inevitably leads to binging (for me).

I also learned my eating 'issues' were tied to my perfectionist tendencies and that something like Induction only feeds my all or nothing, black or white, good or bad mentality. I learned that being BETTER was enough sometimes... I don't always have to measure myself against 'perfect'. When I wasn't capable of making the very best choice, I found I was able to make the next best choice. Those little choices add up in the long run.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I did. I accepted slower loss to ease into a lifestyle change to insure it was permanent. The 'quick fix' attempts of my past did not teach me how to live my life healthier long term.

I learned I can be satisfied living an LC lifestyle and that I can REALLY enjoy my food options. If I had been too restrictive, I might have felt deprived and that inevitably leads to binging (for me).

I also learned my eating 'issues' were tied to my perfectionist tendencies and that something like Induction only feeds my all or nothing, black or white, good or bad mentality. I learned that being BETTER was enough sometimes... I don't always have to measure myself against 'perfect'. When I wasn't capable of making the very best choice, I found I was able to make the next best choice. Those little choices add up in the long run.
This is my fave sentence:

"I leaned that being BETTER was enough sometimes."

Not to mention, that "being better" is the only choice any of us have, whether we know it or not. If we have a bad day on our woe, and we all do, then being better tomorrow is always an option. Perfection is not an option.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
In a word, yes. Sustainability is the key. Who cares how fast it comes off if you are miserable and revert to your old ways after a few weeks? Most people on the SAD diet eat hundreds of carbs per day. The reallly hardcore low carbers may only eat 20. So IMHO there has to be some acceptable middle ground around 50-75. That's how I do it, anyway. It works for me.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnsnana
Stats: 129/118/107
Yes, this time around I am trying to stick to 30-40 net carbs per day. I found it impossible to stick to 20 since the veggies I enjoy are higher in carbs (especially tomatoes). I also use canola mayo & some cheeses with 1 carb so this works better for me. Also, needing sweets, I like being able to have an atkins bar (or 2 at most) per day. I found myself going off the wagon when I tried to stick to 20, especially if I was out of town for the day & couldn't cook my own foods.
johnsnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
yes! I eat low carb breakfast, lunch, snack---and then my dinner allows a balanced amount of carbs. I do not eat anything after dinner. It's wonderful and I accept a slower weight loss approach, for the long haul.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
I am 58 and my weight has come off very slowly. I did do induction for several wks and then went to OWL. I have been at the same wt for quite awhile now and prob eat from 25-50 carbs per day. I just don't want to cut back on my carbs anymore right now, so figure as long as i am not gaining and i can stay on plan that i will someday reach goal. Altho my wt does fluctuate back and forth 3-4lbs. Before i started eating this WOE, it was gradually climbing upwards and i was always miserable. So like to think slow and steady wins the race.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I eat probably 50-60 carbs a day. I'm sure that if I ate less, I could lose the weight faster, but I'm sure that it would make me cranky.

I eat a lot of vegetables and some fruit and I don't worry about carbs that may be in salad dressing, dips, etc. I let myself have a couple of glasses of wine once a week. To me it just isn't worth it to restrict myself and make myself miserable (for me the weight isn't a health issue, but rather a happiness issue). I am very strict about not eating anything white (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.) though.
JustKeepBreathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I started Atkins with 14 lbs to lose, 7 wks ago. If I go over 20 net carbs a day, I don't lose weight at all, and may even gain weight back. I've lost 9 so far... So the answer to the question is, it's all slow weight loss for me. I've never had the option to eat more carbs/lose more slowly.
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:

I also learned my eating 'issues' were tied to my perfectionist tendencies and that something like Induction only feeds my all or nothing, black or white, good or bad mentality.
Congratulations on your loss. The quote above is soooooo me. This time around I had to forget about quick weight loss and change my thought process to what is sustainable for the rest of my life.

Quote:
I don't always have to measure myself against 'perfect'. When I wasn't capable of making the very best choice, I found I was able to make the next best choice. Those little choices add up in the long run.
Very true!!!!!

My pursuit of perfection only caused weight gains due to induction driven binges. I felt deprived. Making "little" choices has helped me go from 265 to 238 in two months without exercise. This is a great accomplishment because I have not seen 230 anything in about two or three years. I still have 88 lbs to lose, but this time around this WOE seems less like a punishment. I am not obsessing about food. My ability to stay on plan also helped suss out a food allergy. I usually have 30 to 40 total carbs a day.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post

My pursuit of perfection only caused weight gains due to induction driven binges. I felt deprived.

YES, that is so me too. I have a history of super restriction... attempting induction forever, <10g carbs, meat fasts, water fasts, intermittent fasting (which I still love), and would lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks being "on plan".

And inevitably I would go off plan and would end up SO MUCH worse than where I started. I would be ravenous, binge eating both high carb and low carb foods, and end up right back up those 10 pounds (or inevitably up 13 pounds if I was really going nuts). I fluctuated between feeling on top of the world and feeling absolutely miserable, desperate and hopeless.

Two years ago I just stopped. I started eating higher carbs, mostly in the form of fruit, and not restricting foods like tomatoes or carrots. I stopped counting carbs and focused on whole foods, like nuts, apples, avocados, dark chocolate. I drink wine. I eat Kind nut bars (15g carbs each), and I'll eat a 1/2 a sandwich at a meal a few times a week.

At first I was overeating carbs, like a ton of fruit in one sitting, but eventually I normalized my crazy cycles. Now, I finally eat like a semi-normal person who isn't spiking blood sugar levels and insulin every hour. I've lost 30 pounds over the past two-ish years, and while it's been slow, it has been effortless. Truly effortless. And I struggled for 5 or 6 years prior to that to lose the first 20 pounds.

I feel quite ambivalent because I truly believe in a low carb, high-fat diet. I just came to find that medium everything just worked much better for me. My addictive behaviors did not work well with extreme carb-restriction.

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.

Internist, Endocrine Fellow
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha42 View Post
YES, that is so me too. I have a history of super restriction... attempting induction forever, <10g carbs, meat fasts, water fasts, intermittent fasting (which I still love), and would lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks being "on plan".

And inevitably I would go off plan and would end up SO MUCH worse than where I started. I would be ravenous, binge eating both high carb and low carb foods, and end up right back up those 10 pounds (or inevitably up 13 pounds if I was really going nuts). I fluctuated between feeling on top of the world and feeling absolutely miserable, desperate and hopeless.
I can totally relate. That has been my unhealthy pattern with super restricted Low-Carb for the past, dare I admit, almost 10 years. When I first discovered low-carb I was somewhere in the 175-185 pound range. When I restarted about two months ago I was at an all time high of 265 pounds. I "dieted" my way up an almost additional 100 pounds. It was so crazy. When I would go off plan it would be week and month long binges. I felt totally out of control.

During one binge I remember going to Arby's to get a large mozzarella stick, curly fries, a side of cheddar cheese and a large loaded potato bites; then to Bakers Square to get two slices of pie. One slice of coconut cream and one slice of pecan. I then went to the grocery store for Super Premium french vanilla ice cream to top the to pecan pie then finally to Popeye's for six spicy wings and two biscuits . Totally out of control. I remember feeling so much shame; making a deal with God that if I did not have a heart attack after consuming all that food I would start induction the next morning. I lived, only to binge another day. Not all my binges were that severe but in the grand scheme of things they were all pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha42 View Post
I feel quite ambivalent because I truly believe in a low carb, high-fat diet. I just came to find that medium everything just worked much better for me. My addictive behaviors did not work well with extreme carb-restriction.
Amen, sister
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
I can totally relate. That has been my unhealthy pattern with super restricted Low-Carb for the past, dare I admit, almost 10 years. When I first discovered low-carb I was somewhere in the 175-185 pound range. When I restarted about two months ago I was at an all time high of 265 pounds. I "dieted" my way up an almost additional 100 pounds. It was so crazy. When I would go off plan it would be week and month long binges. I felt totally out of control.
:
OH MY!!! We have quite similar stories, my dear. I remember crazy binges like that. I used to get so sick and tell myself I'd never do it again. That usually lasted about 1 day.

When I joined this website 12 years ago I weighed 140 pounds. I ALSO dieted my way up to 205. From 140. I have a lot of regret for being so unhappy at 140 pounds and for being so extreme with dieting at that time. Sure, I got to 125 and felt amazing. But it lasted all of 5 minutes before I became a binge monster and ballooned up to 170 within a year.

Can I just say, though, I feel better right now at 155 then I did at 140 (even though I'm way bigger now than I was at 140). I just appreciate it so much more now. Maybe that was my lesson learned. Only took me 12 years.
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
Thank you guys for sharing. It is really hard when you want to be one of those people who follows a plan perfectly and loses quickly. But deep down you know that you need to take a slower more moderate approach. I've gone through those "superwoman" moments when I felt like I could do Atkins...stick to 20g until I reached my goal. The reality is that it just isn't going to work for me that way. I am super motivated by others who do it but I only have one life and bouncing back and forth between 20g and full on binges is no way to live it. I even tried intermittent fasting. It is great for a day or two and then I crash just like I do after a few days of Atkins.

I recently committed myself to eating at least 4oz protein food at each meal and up to 40g carbs per day. I have stuck with it for 4 weeks even through my PMS with only about 3 days of going over 40g per day. Most days have been around 30g. That is a serious accomplishment for me!!! While the scale didn't move much I did see two major improvements:

1. My blood pressure normalized! I stopped my bp meds and monitored my pressure carefully. In the past two weeks I have not been over 121/72!
2. My cravings came less frequently than before. I even had a a few that I started and stopped. I have never been able to stop once getting started.
It's like the fog was lifted and I was able to make a rational choice.

Those two things alone tell me that I am on the right track. I just need to find that happy medium where I can maintain those two improvements and lose weight.

The missing component is probably exercise. I am now looking into a moderate routine that I feel I can follow for a long time. I have to take the same approach to exercise as I am doing with my diet.

I have moments when I feel really bad because people in my life are losing serious weight yet I seem to be stuck. So I try to remind myself that every year for the past 5 years I have weighed a little more than I did the year before. If I can get to 2014 and weigh a little less while have built some good lifetime habits then I will be better off than if I do nothing at all.

I try to say positive things to myself and think positively about my body. I also try to be honest about my capabilities. It is a real struggle to be caught between wanting the weight gone yesterday and needing to take a more moderate approach.

Last edited by Filly; 05-03-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
It's been an evolutionary process for me over the past almost-18-months. My weight loss has been slow the entire time, and it didn't always seem to matter whether my carbs were at 50 or less than 20.

My steadiest weight loss has occurred since I adopted a ketogenic WOE, with the majority of calories coming from fat. My body just seems to thrive on that.

What I've REALLY learned during this time is that every body is different, and it can take some time to find what really works well for YOUR body. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. Don't be afraid to make adjustments and see how your body reacts and how you feel.

Following a strict plan just didn't work for me because I'm one of those who wants to be PERFECT on a plan, and any slight variation would send me into days or weeks of high carb junk eating. Finding my own "plan" through experimentation has worked, and I've gradually evolved into what I now do, and I haven't felt deprived or hungry at all. There's no way I could have started with a ketogenic WOE, but since I evolved into it, it feels effortless.

Bottom line? Listen to your body and let it guide you. Stop and think if you're reaching for carbage...what's going on with your mind and your body? Do you need more protein? Do you need more fat? Are you feeling hungry or deprived? Are you reaching for carbage out of habit or emotional upset? Doing this helped me change my way of thinking and really put the brakes on what I was eating.

And of course, YMMV!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote