LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
loose skin question?

I know that some skin especially if you are bigger or older never bounces back after weight loss.
I got away with everything except the stretch mark damaged skin bouncing back in the past but I am only a third of the way there and seeing 'ripples' down my ribs etc this time.

For those people who had skin that stayed loose which bits started out loose but firmed up with time and which bits stayed that way or needed surgery?

I know everyone is different but I just want to get my head around the range of possibilities.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
Good question! I've lost a chin so far and am hoping it doesn't sag too much in the future!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's futile to worry about it now because what happens is due to so many variables--genetics, age, rate of loss, particular skin issues, body type, etc. It's impossible to predict for any individual

After losing lose to 200 lbs in my 60s (but a very slow loss), I also did resistance training for toning, and although I have a lot of loose skin, when I'm wearing clothes it's not noticeable at all.

I have no interest in elective surgery to remove any of this skin because although it's ugly when I'm naked, it doesn't cause me any health issues.

If I were you, I'd focus on losing my weight and deal with any issues later on.

Keep in mind that maintenance is no easy task (I've been maintaining for 2 years), and one of the worst things you can do is have surgery to remove loose skin and then regain weight. It's even uglier then.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I would actually never get surgery for various reasons but was more curious if the rib ripples were something I just didn't notice the first time or is it part of the joys of being older...

I am used to not looking to great naked after becoming a mum in my teens and getting the worst stretchmarks ever to the point I almost got an apron even though I was as skinny as a rake.Just curious.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
So far the only excess skin I have is in the tummy area. That area is a Hott mess to begin with from many surgeries and 3 pregnancies but I can live with it. It doesn't bother my Hubby and I don't Ever plan on wearing a bikini again so i'm fine with it
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Shelly!

I'd never seen that before pic before. No wonder everyone you know is telling you that you look so skinny. You look so skinny! And fabulous. Congrats.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
So far I have it only in the sternum area.I plan to use my coconut oil for self massage. A long time ago I saw a documentary on a deep tissue massage that really put things in place. I repeat a docu not an ad. However I am nowhere near France,do not have the silver to undergo these sessions so homestyle massage with coconut oil is the order of the day and it will be what it will be.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
When I went from 240 to 145, I noticed a lot of loose skin around the 175 mark...it resolved greatly by the time I got to 145. Not that it was ALL gone, but for some reason I think the fat under the skin weighs it down, causing sagging, and once more of the subcutaneous fat is gone there's not so much "hanging".
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

cool that is what I was wondering.Even if it doesn't happen that way for me it will cheer me up in the meantime
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddesslynne View Post
When I went from 240 to 145, I noticed a lot of loose skin around the 175 mark...it resolved greatly by the time I got to 145. Not that it was ALL gone, but for some reason I think the fat under the skin weighs it down, causing sagging, and once more of the subcutaneous fat is gone there's not so much "hanging".
This cheers me up, too! I'm at 171 now and I have just recently noticed that I'm all smooshy, like my skin's not all filled up.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I originally started out 204 before doing LC, lost weight watching calories and such, however, now that I weigh 140 I just have a little bit of loose skin in my belly. But I have also had 4 pregnancies and tubes tied. I blame that for now on that...lol!!! I do work out daily and have picked up running over the past two months, so I think being active helps me out too though with my butt and thighs lol!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
This cheers me up, too! I'm at 171 now and I have just recently noticed that I'm all smooshy, like my skin's not all filled up.
THIS! That's the way I'd describe my flabby sections now... smooshy, like someone deflated me I have it mostly in my belly, the underneath portion of my upper arms, and my inner thighs. Probably where most people get it. What a pain!

I keep thinking I want to try starting Callanetics soon because I hear that at least helps to TONE... not sure what (if anything) it'll do about my extra skin problem. But I keep stopping myself because I'm afraid it'll stall my weight loss and even potentially make me gain (muscle over fat thing). I've been waiting til I hit my first goal which I'm now close to, but then I thought I might as well wait til I hit my SECOND goal which is 8-13 pounds from now. But with summer coming up, I don't know

I wish I knew if my body would be okay with Callanetics 2x a week and still letting me lose
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
I have been thinking about loose skin a lot recently.. but I guess I have a ways to go before it becomes a reality to deal with!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I am feeling more optimistic about the skin issues lately.

When I was about 60-70 pounds down, the skin was loose and I was a bit bummed. When I hit the 80 pound club, I started to notice my arms and belly improving. I still have quite a few pounds to go but I am feeling positive that I will see improvements on and off in the months (if not the years) to come. I won’t panic when I am in a smoosh-y, crepe-y, flabby phase because I have seen with my own eyes that the skin will do some catching up.

I eat healthy, I keep hydrated, I keep active, I take a vitamin, I moisturize. These are all things that help us maintain healthy skin so I am confident I will have healthy skin. (might not be perfect, but it will be healthy)
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
THIS! That's the way I'd describe my flabby sections now... smooshy, like someone deflated me I have it mostly in my belly, the underneath portion of my upper arms, and my inner thighs. Probably where most people get it. What a pain!

I keep thinking I want to try starting Callanetics soon because I hear that at least helps to TONE... not sure what (if anything) it'll do about my extra skin problem. But I keep stopping myself because I'm afraid it'll stall my weight loss and even potentially make me gain (muscle over fat thing). I've been waiting til I hit my first goal which I'm now close to, but then I thought I might as well wait til I hit my SECOND goal which is 8-13 pounds from now. But with summer coming up, I don't know

I wish I knew if my body would be okay with Callanetics 2x a week and still letting me lose
Mine is in exactly the same places, but I assume that my belly is a little worse off bc I've had two babies. (I blame them, too, baileygirl. I feel better about losing my flat belly if it was for babies rather than cake. lol)

I am terrified of callanetics. I tried it when I was 23 and it was really rough! Plus, IIFC, you need props (I do not have a ballet bar in my house, oddly enough) and I felt like when I did it at home I wasn't properly set up, yk? But, as far as waiting till you reach your second goal and worrying about gaining... I didn't start exercising until about five or six pounds ago because I was worried about stopping my loss and I was also worried that it would make it harder for me to stay on plan (make me hungrier, or just add a new variable that made me drop all my balls, iykwim). But I have actually felt great since I started and, even though I don't think it has helped my loss, I don't feel like it has slowed me down. I'm a slow loser, anyhow. I do think it has made my body look so much better! I was really surprised at that, was not expecting it at all. And it was quick, like within three weeks or so I was just feeling like a whole different person. And all I'm doing is walking, no weights or anything (which I think can also make a big difference in appearance, as would callanetics).

One thing I'd suggest is to go for it if you *feel* like it. For me, both times I lost weight, I hit a point where my ketosis really kicked into high gear and I felt like I was ready to jump out of my skin. I really wanted to move. So this time I just went with it and it felt so much better than attempts at exercise I had done while eating the SAD. Ugh. Like I have never felt like I'd rather be lying on the couch but I was pushing myself.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote