Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: farvahgc
need help! low carb for 9 weeks no weight loss...

Hello, I am new to this site but I am not new to low carb diets. I have used low carb diets before with great success. However, this time I am encountering problems that I never have before.

I started the current low carb diet after cycling carbs for about three months (LC all week, carb up Sat and Sun). This approach helped with my weight lifting but not weight loss. So i switched back to LC in order to lose some excess body fat. I consume about 30-40 grams of carbs per day, and about 3000 calories. (My bmr is around 3350 cals.) And I have been in ketosis since the 4th day I started the diet.

The problem: I have yet to lose a single pound. In fact, i have gained a total of about 5 ponds since starting. My starting weight was 276 lbs and I am about 280 lbs today, after nine weeks! In the past I have easily dropped 15-20 pounds in the first month of dieting, this time nothing. I exercise 4 days a week, heavy weights and very light cardio (see below).

So, here's an example of a standard daily meal plan and a summary of my workout:

Breakfast:
-5 hard boiled eggs.
Lunch:
-1can of tuna (w/ 2tblsp mayo)
- 2 pieces of Bacon
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
Snack/ post WO:
- whey protein shake (w/ 1 cup milk) or
-2 tblsp peanut butter
Dinner:
-15 oz of beef
-1 cup broccoli
Snack:
- 2 tblsp peanut butter
I'm not sure exactly what this all adds up to, but its pretty close to an average day of eating.
Exercise:
(All sets done with the same weight for all five sets)
Warm up: slow jog/ walk 15-25 min
Squat: 5x5 (315 lbs or heavier)
Bench press: 5x5 (275 lbs or heavier)
Deadlift: 5x5 (405 lbs or heavier)
Military press: 5x5 (185 lbs or heavier)
(I Lift heavy weight /low rep, ive heard this can slow weight loss, but haven't confirmed that its true. That's why I put the weight/rep ranges)
Cardio: 2-3 hour mild-difficulty hiking one day/ week.

My previous experience with low carbing has lead me to believe that it is the only way for me to lose weight and keep it off. But for some reason I can't seem to make any headway. Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks!
farvahgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Just at a quick glance you are over doing the protein. Not sure what plan you want to follow but most low carbs are high fat/moderate protein/low carb. A ratio of roughly 65% fat 25% protein and 10% carbs

Most carbs should be coming from a non startch veggie. Wouldnt hurt to join a food tracking site so you can monitor your ratios.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I use dailyplate. My ratios average out to be about that over a week or so. And I dont feel the 'rabbit malaise' that comes with too much protein, not enough fat. But I am always open to the idea of eating more fat I have also heard of doing a fat fast, but I don't know if that will help me or if they are effective.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I don't necessarily think that you need to do a fat fast, but definitely lowering protein some and upping your fat would probably help. Check out the Nutritional Ketosis thread for more info.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
How tall are you and how much should you weigh?

How long ago was it that you easily took off weight with diet?

How long have you been doing this workout routine? Are you training for an event or is this just an enthusiast type thing?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I would drop the peanut butter and protein shake. More high fat meats instead.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think it's the calories. Those BMR calculators are notorious for overestimating. I'd drop down to 2500 and see what happens.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I am 6'2" and I want to lose 20-30 lbs. The last time I used a LC diet to lose weight was in 2011, and I lost a total of 36 pounds in approximately 3 months.

I've lifted weights since I was in high school, but I started this specific routine about 6 months ago just to change it up.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farvahgc View Post
I am 6'2" and I want to lose 20-30 lbs. The last time I used a LC diet to lose weight was in 2011, and I lost a total of 36 pounds in approximately 3 months.

I've lifted weights since I was in high school, but I started this specific routine about 6 months ago just to change it up.
I think your calories are probably about right. Maybe even a little low for weight loss.

You are using Whey Protein Concentrate, right? Switch to the isolate version. The concentrate can produce an insulin response.

Is that commercial mayo you are eating? Switch to one that doesn't use a high PUFA oil as a base.

I'd get rid of the peanut butter too. Switch to macadamia nuts for a snack maybe but watch out for portion size with them. Or eat more CO instead.

You might look into superstarch if you feel that the carb restriction is affecting your performance too much.

Usually I am the first to say too much protein but in your case it doesn't look like it is too much as far as a ketogenic range goes. For 260 pounds your ~220g of protein is about 1.7g/kg. I assume 2tbs of protein powder.

I'd make the other changes first and then bump protein grams down by 10g or 20g if needed to see what happens.

I might reduce the cardio a bit too. Or get rid of it. At least while you are trying to lose a little weight.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Thanks for giving us so much information to look at!

Quote:
Breakfast:
-5 hard boiled eggs.
IMO, that's not enough fat to start your day. I'd cut back to two or three eggs (fried in butter or bacon grease) and add a high-fat breakfast meat. Even though that's over 500 calories, I'd be starving in a few hours after just eggs.

Quote:
Lunch:
-1can of tuna (w/ 2tblsp mayo)
- 2 pieces of Bacon
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
This looks good, although I'd move at least 1T coconut oil to your morning meal.

Quote:
Snack/ post WO:
- whey protein shake (w/ 1 cup milk) or
-2 tblsp peanut butter
This could be a problem. You've already got enough protein in your diet without adding a shake, milk is high-carb and not allowed on most LC plans, and neither is peanut butter. Switch to almond butter or something else entirely.

Quote:
Dinner:
-15 oz of beef
-1 cup broccoli
This look good, although perhaps a bit high on protein. I'd cut back on the beef portion and add butter, cheese, and/or olive oil to your broccoli.

Quote:
Snack:
- 2 tblsp peanut butter
Again, peanut butter isn't recommended for lots of reasons -- it's very calorie dense, it's a legume rather than a nut, it triggers many people, and most of us over-estimate what 2T of nut butter looks like.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Oops! I missed that in my reply - thanks for mentioning it Michelle!

Get rid of the whole milk. Use unsweetened almond milk instead.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

There is a thread that might be a good place to cross post this question:

Boot Camp Charlie for Men (April-May-June)

Stack Diesel and a few others on that thread are workout and LC knowledgeable.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I did not even see the cup of milk, that would be the first thing to go for me.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Yea I've been in denial about the peanut butter, mostly because I'm a PB addict, but ill cut it out completely. BTW thanks for so much info! You guys are awesome!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #15

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the reason you didn't lose fast this time is that you were already lowcarbing before ,so you didn't have the glycogen reserves to lose that give you the fast water loss, right? you already had that.

those bits of advice might help, but in my experience, it's usually just as simple as eating too much. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I would say use water or unsweetened almond milk to make your protein shakes.

Also, is the peanut butter homemade or store bought? I make my own with dry roasted peanuts, peanut oil, and a little EZ sweetz. It's lower in carbs that way. Some were saying to switch to almond butter. But I have done the math and peanut butter is a little bit lower in carbs than almond butter using the nutrition facts from the brands I use.

Other than that, I would say eat a little more fat, less protein and I would throw in some more veggies for antioxidants and general good health.

If all else fails, try eating a little bit less, as others have suggested. Good luck.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I guess it depends on the peanut butter.Judging by the foreign brands at the supermarket America sugars their peanut butter.New Zealand made peanut butter is peanuts,oil and salt.
My DH and I lost lots back in '04 eating a blob off a soup spoon as a snack of the sugarless local version.Maybe a health food shop or import store might
have it?
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
No, even straight peanut butter has too many carbs - while it might not be an issue for some folks, if not losing is the problem then cutting out things like legumes (peanuts) and dairy (milk) from that menu is the very first place to start.

We do have some brands with sugar, but you can find the peanut/oil/salt versions as well, which is what my family uses. It can take some hunting in some stores, but many more are carrying it than used to, thankfully!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
I would say use water or unsweetened almond milk to make your protein shakes.

Also, is the peanut butter homemade or store bought? I make my own with dry roasted peanuts, peanut oil, and a little EZ sweetz. It's lower in carbs that way. Some were saying to switch to almond butter. But I have done the math and peanut butter is a little bit lower in carbs than almond butter using the nutrition facts from the brands I use.

Other than that, I would say eat a little more fat, less protein and I would throw in some more veggies for antioxidants and general good health.

If all else fails, try eating a little bit less, as others have suggested. Good luck.

I'd recalculate that - there's no way I can see that dry roasted or oil roasted peanuts have less carbs than dry roasted or raw almonds - by the very composition of the food that isn't really possible. Now I'm super curious - what brand were you calculating that from?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Our peanut butter is 1.6gm for 20gm which is a heaped soup spoon according to the label.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Interesting, this peanut butter vs. almond butter thing. So I did some googling and checking. According to my carb counter chunky peanut butter is 2.15 carbs per TBLS, Almond butter is 2.80 carbs per TBLS.

Almond butter has around 202 calories for two TBLS, Peanut butter has around 188 calories for two tablespoons.

Almond butter does come in with a zero glycemic load, while the glycemic load of peanut butter is 14. But it needs to be noted that 14 is still considered a very low glycemic load.

Also a consideration, Peanut butter is much cheaper than almond butter and more available anywhere you shop.

Here's an article that pits the two against each other. Well worth a read I think.

Food Fight: Almond Butter vs. Peanut Butter | Healthy Eats
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I have never even seen almond butter.I don't know if we have it here yet.Overseas sites like netrition have it of course but US postage to here just shot up recently and it would end up costing me 20 or 30 dollars for a jar of it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

A quick correction on my post above. It should have read glycemic index as opposed to loads---two different numbers that basically say the same thing, but the numbers I gave are for the GI, of PB an AB, not the GL.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Is the gram weight the same on those? Given the textures of these two in my home the almond butter is much more dense than peanut butter, so equal volumetric measurements of them yield a higher calorie load for almond butter than peanut butter. Straight almonds vs peanuts it's no competition, but I could see if they're going by volume that might throw it off.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Interesting, this peanut butter vs. almond butter thing. So I did some googling and checking. According to my carb counter chunky peanut butter is 2.15 carbs per TBLS, Almond butter is 2.80 carbs per TBLS.
If he's doing Atkins, peanuts are not allowed until much later on the carb ladder. They are definitely not an induction food. Four tablespoon of peanut-butter is almost 13 carbs! I wouldn't recommend just switching to almond butter, personally -- I'd replace those calories/carbs with meat or healthy fat.

I once made my husband weigh out his "2 T" of peanut butter on our food scale, and he was shocked to find that his "2 T' was actually just shy of FOUR tablespoons. It's really easy to over-eat nuts and nut butters.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

I totally agree, not enough fat in his diet and yeah, if you love peanut butter or almond butter, it might be hard to hold yourself to 1 or 2 TBLS---btw, according to my carb counter 4 TBLS would be just shy of 9 carbs, not 13 carbs, but yeah still, that's a lot if you're in induction.

But I guess what I don't understand is why Dr. Atkins or most LC diets would allow almond butter but not peanut butter, as the two seem pretty equal in carbs and calories, w/the peanut butter actually coming out less in both. Perhaps it's the glycemic index of the two, where almond butter is lower---but where peanut butter also scores pretty low, 14, with low being considered a GI of 55 and under.

I'm not doing Atkins, am eating Low carb, like both butters, but a little on celery every now and then goes a long way for me. I'm just scratching my head a bit about the debate between the two when it comes to low carb.

Did find out this which is pretty darn interesting--- for those who bake/w almond flour, this is why. The glycemic index of Almond four is under 1, while the glycemic index of wheat flour is 71! Now that's a motivating contrast!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

He didn't allow peanuts until later in the rungs for three reasons:

1. Peanuts are legumes, not nuts, thus they are on the rung with other legumes.
2. They are implicated in much stalling, possibly due to how inflammatory they can be to the body.
3. They cause cravings in many folks and are harder to moderate in legal quantities than nut butters.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Was Atkins speaking of the nuts rather than the nut butters? The bin info at my coop shows almonds at less than 1 carb (net) with peanuts higher.

Also wondering farva, about weight vs. inches. My experience with weight lifting is that building muscles can increase weight (I've been told this, and seem to have experienced it, but iths was a few years back). If you've been weight lifting for some time you've probably already considered this.

I would concur about adding some fat. It seems counter-intuitive but it works for me.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
btw, according to my carb counter 4 TBLS would be just shy of 9 carbs, not 13 carbs
Yeah, I was counting whole carbs, not net.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I'd recalculate that - there's no way I can see that dry roasted or oil roasted peanuts have less carbs than dry roasted or raw almonds - by the very composition of the food that isn't really possible. Now I'm super curious - what brand were you calculating that from?
First of all, I read your other thread. I'm sorry you are so sick, but glad your baby is better! Get well soon!

Second of all, I used "wonderful almonds" from Sam's. I was trying to cut every possible carb a while back and thought "I'll be smart and trendy and switch to almond butter like the rich soccer moms at Whole Foods." And I did the math and found that peanut butter was slightly lower. I was disappointed.

I think others have said it right when they said it's easy to overeat peanut butter and not realize it. A tablespoon can vary a lot from person to person.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote