LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
I think sugar made me sick

We went out to a fancy dinner last night. I stayed on plan all through the meal - shrimp for an appetizer, salad, then steak and green beans. I did have a glass of wine, and I was planning to allow dessert. (first time in probably 6 months that I have had sugar) I went for the creme brule. I knew it had sugar, but figured cake with wheat would be worse (at least for me, since I know how wheat affects me).

My blood sugar was fine when I got home. I felt good, not full or bloated. However, in the middle of the night I woke up feeling horrible. Muscle cramps, my body ached, a bit nauseous. I tossed and turned the rest of the night. And I've been dragging all day. What's even weirder is that the scale showed a loss this morning

Has anyone else had a reaction like this from sugar, especially after being off it for 6 months or more?

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
astribling is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #2

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Yup, too much sugar has always made me feel ill, and now that I am pretty much "off" of it, too much is not much at all!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Yes I get the same way.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yep. After I've been in ketosis for a while, I get a stomachache from simple carbs.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
My whole body hurts if I've had too much sugar. Like I've been working out or have the flu kind of aches. Yuck. However, I have to say that when I am going to go all out, I prefer to have so much it makes me hurt so that I really really REALLY don't want to do that again.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Your post was very interesting to me as I did exactly the same thing 3 weeks ago on our wedding anniversary. Went out to a really nice dinner, stayed on plan in much the same way you did---steak, salad and green beans. But I do confess to one piece of this restaurant's outrageously good garlic bread. And then, I had the creme brule for dessert, although only half of it, as my husband and I shared it.

It didn't effect me at all. No illness, no cravings, no weight gain. I contribute this simply to say YMMV, not to in any way brag about it. But I would add that although I'm now very invested in a low carb woe, I'm not as stringent as some here are. I do allow myself the occasional treat, and so far so good.

I think it may be true that if we almost NEVER eat sugar, or almost NEVER eat a good piece of bread, our bodies are going to react when we do so once in a blue moon. And I have read that extreme low carb eating leads to an increased intolerance for any carb we allow to cross our lips.

We must all decide what will work for us. For me, if I want to do this over the long haul as a lifestyle, I simply must know there are special nights in my future, when I can eat a bit of the things I deny myself day in day out. And I am blessed that this is working for me. Totally understand it may not work for others.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
My whole body hurts if I've had too much sugar. Like I've been working out or have the flu kind of aches. Yuck.
That's basically how I felt - like I woke up with the flu. I guess knowing that this is what follows when I go off plan, it gives me that much more incentive to stay on. However, I'm sure in my life there will be a time when I will do it again, even knowing the consequences. Kind of like a hang over. LOL And if that's only every 6 months I think I'm doing pretty good.
astribling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling View Post
That's basically how I felt - like I woke up with the flu. I guess knowing that this is what follows when I go off plan, it gives me that much more incentive to stay on. However, I'm sure in my life there will be a time when I will do it again, even knowing the consequences. Kind of like a hang over. LOL And if that's only every 6 months I think I'm doing pretty good.
I had 1/2 a organic sugar beet and was up in the middle of the night with, shall we say an uncontrolled purge. At that time, I was strictly very low carb for a year and a half. I call it aversion therapy.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sounds like the lc equivalent of antibuse!

Sugar beets are second only to sugar cane for sources of sugar (according to a Montana ag website).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Sounds like the lc equivalent of antibuse!

Sugar beets are second only to sugar cane for sources of sugar (according to a Montana ag website).
Ya and yet I somehow convinced myself that it would fit in fine in my normally vlc woe. After all it was organic!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
No, I've only had reactions to high carb stuff like sugar or grains if i ate too much of them at once. But, a dessert or a few slices of pizza never leave me feeling bad.

Are you allergic to any foods? I've had a reaction like that in the middle of the night because of delayed food allergies.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am the same as nolcjunk insofar as I will react to sugar only if I really overeat it. I'm maintaining, and I've had the occasional restaurant dessert with no ill effects at all.

I try to keep these indulgences to restaurant meals so that I never have the bad stuff in the house with the temptation to overdo it.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
Too much sugar makes me have night sweats and feel like I am going to puke. I also feel "cloudy" if that makes sense.

Sugar + me = no good!
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
My whole body hurts if I've had too much sugar. Like I've been working out or have the flu kind of aches. Yuck. However, I have to say that when I am going to go all out, I prefer to have so much it makes me hurt so that I really really REALLY don't want to do that again.
I get achy allover too. It hurts, physically hurts when I have overindulged. I mean even taking a shower is painful. You would think that I would learn from that and not have it whatsoever, but alas I don't learn I keep doing it over and over and over if I have it long enough I have a constant glop of mucous in the back of my throat and will have breakouts on my face, chest and back. It really doesn't like me, despite the fact that I am in love with anything sugary at all.

Last edited by dawnyama; 04-22-2013 at 05:01 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Something like that kicks my acid production up so I have heartburn or upset stomach... then I can't sleep lying down & it's off to my recliner!
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote