Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I think sugar made me sick (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802581-i-think-sugar-made-me-sick.html)

astribling 04-21-2013 05:25 PM

I think sugar made me sick

We went out to a fancy dinner last night. I stayed on plan all through the meal - shrimp for an appetizer, salad, then steak and green beans. I did have a glass of wine, and I was planning to allow dessert. (first time in probably 6 months that I have had sugar) I went for the creme brule. I knew it had sugar, but figured cake with wheat would be worse (at least for me, since I know how wheat affects me).

My blood sugar was fine when I got home. I felt good, not full or bloated. However, in the middle of the night I woke up feeling horrible. Muscle cramps, my body ached, a bit nauseous. I tossed and turned the rest of the night. And I've been dragging all day. What's even weirder is that the scale showed a loss this morning:dunno:

Has anyone else had a reaction like this from sugar, especially after being off it for 6 months or more?

Maryposa 04-21-2013 05:49 PM

Yup, too much sugar has always made me feel ill, and now that I am pretty much "off" of it, too much is not much at all!

cfine 04-21-2013 05:53 PM

Yes I get the same way.

Ntombi 04-21-2013 05:54 PM

Yep. After I've been in ketosis for a while, I get a stomachache from simple carbs.

bacon bit 04-21-2013 05:54 PM

My whole body hurts if I've had too much sugar. Like I've been working out or have the flu kind of aches. Yuck. However, I have to say that when I am going to go all out, I prefer to have so much it makes me hurt so that I really really REALLY don't want to do that again.

Blue Skies 04-21-2013 06:19 PM

Your post was very interesting to me as I did exactly the same thing 3 weeks ago on our wedding anniversary. Went out to a really nice dinner, stayed on plan in much the same way you did---steak, salad and green beans. But I do confess to one piece of this restaurant's outrageously good garlic bread. And then, I had the creme brule for dessert, although only half of it, as my husband and I shared it.

It didn't effect me at all. No illness, no cravings, no weight gain. I contribute this simply to say YMMV, not to in any way brag about it. But I would add that although I'm now very invested in a low carb woe, I'm not as stringent as some here are. I do allow myself the occasional treat, and so far so good.

I think it may be true that if we almost NEVER eat sugar, or almost NEVER eat a good piece of bread, our bodies are going to react when we do so once in a blue moon. And I have read that extreme low carb eating leads to an increased intolerance for any carb we allow to cross our lips.

We must all decide what will work for us. For me, if I want to do this over the long haul as a lifestyle, I simply must know there are special nights in my future, when I can eat a bit of the things I deny myself day in day out. And I am blessed that this is working for me. Totally understand it may not work for others.

astribling 04-21-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon bit (Post 16386366)
My whole body hurts if I've had too much sugar. Like I've been working out or have the flu kind of aches. Yuck.

That's basically how I felt - like I woke up with the flu. I guess knowing that this is what follows when I go off plan, it gives me that much more incentive to stay on. However, I'm sure in my life there will be a time when I will do it again, even knowing the consequences. Kind of like a hang over. LOL And if that's only every 6 months I think I'm doing pretty good.

clackley 04-22-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astribling (Post 16386401)
That's basically how I felt - like I woke up with the flu. I guess knowing that this is what follows when I go off plan, it gives me that much more incentive to stay on. However, I'm sure in my life there will be a time when I will do it again, even knowing the consequences. Kind of like a hang over. LOL And if that's only every 6 months I think I'm doing pretty good.

I had 1/2 a organic sugar beet and was up in the middle of the night with, shall we say an uncontrolled purge. At that time, I was strictly very low carb for a year and a half. I call it aversion therapy.

Patience 04-22-2013 05:57 AM

Sounds like the lc equivalent of antibuse!

Sugar beets are second only to sugar cane for sources of sugar (according to a Montana ag website).

clackley 04-22-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16386734)
Sounds like the lc equivalent of antibuse!

Sugar beets are second only to sugar cane for sources of sugar (according to a Montana ag website).

Ya and yet I somehow convinced myself that it would fit in fine in my normally vlc woe. After all it was organic!!:doh:

nolcjunk 04-22-2013 06:05 AM

No, I've only had reactions to high carb stuff like sugar or grains if i ate too much of them at once. But, a dessert or a few slices of pizza never leave me feeling bad.

Are you allergic to any foods? I've had a reaction like that in the middle of the night because of delayed food allergies.

Leo41 04-22-2013 06:13 AM

I am the same as nolcjunk insofar as I will react to sugar only if I really overeat it. I'm maintaining, and I've had the occasional restaurant dessert with no ill effects at all.

I try to keep these indulgences to restaurant meals so that I never have the bad stuff in the house with the temptation to overdo it.

Z-Baby 04-22-2013 09:35 AM

Too much sugar makes me have night sweats and feel like I am going to puke. I also feel "cloudy" if that makes sense.

Sugar + me = no good!

dawnyama 04-22-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon bit (Post 16386366)
My whole body hurts if I've had too much sugar. Like I've been working out or have the flu kind of aches. Yuck. However, I have to say that when I am going to go all out, I prefer to have so much it makes me hurt so that I really really REALLY don't want to do that again.

I get achy allover too. It hurts, physically hurts when I have overindulged. I mean even taking a shower is painful. You would think that I would learn from that and not have it whatsoever, but alas I don't learn :sad: I keep doing it over and over and over :doh: if I have it long enough I have a constant glop of mucous in the back of my throat and will have breakouts on my face, chest and back. It really doesn't like me, despite the fact that I am in love with anything sugary at all.

Just Russ 04-22-2013 05:41 PM

Something like that kicks my acid production up so I have heartburn or upset stomach... then I can't sleep lying down & it's off to my recliner!