Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Disappointed in Land o Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802579-disappointed-land-o-lakes-sugar-free-whipped-cream.html)

Maryposa 04-21-2013 04:26 PM

Disappointed in Land o Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream
 
I FINALLY, all these years later, found a store which carries the Land o Lakes sugar free whipped cream (sweetened with Splenda). It was $6.99 (!!!!) but I was so excited to find it that I tried it anyway.

I have been thinking about going back to a once a week fat fast (I used to do that) and thought "PERFECT!"

It says right on the container "Heavy Whipping Cream" so imagine my surprise when I found out it has skim milk in it, and is not 90% fat (does not fit in the fat fast rules) they way heavy whipping cream is.

UG! WHY??? I mean, I can guess that the reason is that skim milk is cheaper than heavy cream, but then why the heck is the product SEVEN BUCKS?!?!?

Arctic_Mama 04-21-2013 04:48 PM

Almost all whipped cream has skim milk in it, even most heavy whipping creams. Not much, but some. And the canned ones ALWAYS do. Sorry for the bad news, you're better off with a mixer and a carton of cream to make your own.

Maryposa 04-21-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16386261)
Almost all whipped cream has skim milk in it, even most heavy whipping creams. Not much, but some. And the canned ones ALWAYS do. Sorry for the bad news, you're better off with a mixer and a carton of cream to make your own.

Yup, I have made it in my magic bullet before, though it doesn't come out as fluffy as the kind from the can.... what I would really love is to buy a canister / whipper thingy and some cartridges for it and add vanilla and splenda plus the HWC and have that! :D

Maryposa 04-21-2013 04:59 PM

PS... I never noticed any of the cartons of HWC I buy having skim milk, but even if they did, it was so little that the HWC still met the 90% calories from fat rule of the fat fast.... whereas this stuff only has 70% fat :( oh well, I hope it will keep a long time in the fridge, that way I can save it for non-fat fast days when I want a treat with berries or something.

cfine 04-21-2013 05:58 PM

I whip mine up in my kitchen aide mixer and it gets really thick. I do it on high for several minutes.

ravenrose 04-21-2013 08:31 PM

presumably almost everyone who buys the product is "counting calories," right? less fat and calories makes sense.

Maryposa 04-21-2013 08:33 PM

Well, I thought the product was geared toward low carbers since it didn't say light (or any variation of spelling thereof lol), reduced calorie, etc... just sugar free... and specifically mentioned "real" HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM... as though that were an attractive ingredient.

I normally always check the label, but remembered reading about this product here years ago, so I got excited and snatched it up lol

avid 04-22-2013 06:23 AM

I hear your frustration.
I don't cook. Well, occasionally I cook up a burger or some fish fillets on the barbque, but that's it.
Soooooooooooooo.....I want everything that is LC and healthy to be readily available either frozen or fresh, with no additives, so all I have to do is open a box or bag, toss it in the microwave add a little co or evoo and voila!
a delicious, nutritious LC meal in a minute.
Anyone want to hold hands with me, sing Kubaya and pray for this?
Oh, and maybe for world peace too?
:shake:

shirlc 04-22-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16386277)
Yup, I have made it in my magic bullet before, though it doesn't come out as fluffy as the kind from the can.... what I would really love is to buy a canister / whipper thingy and some cartridges for it and add vanilla and splenda plus the HWC and have that! :D

I've got an iSi whipper and it makes great whipped cream. I think it eventually pays for itself!

PianoAl 04-22-2013 07:39 AM

Right. Get an ISI whipper like this, and you can have whipped cream that's nothing but whipped heavy whipping cream. We used to put sweetener in, but find we don't need it, since the thing we are topping is sweet.

You can add chocolate and sweetener if you want some chocolate mousse.

The only downside is that after 6 days or so, the cream will go sour, since in the can there's a lot of surface area in the whipped cream.

http://www.espressoparts.com/espress..._full_3387.jpg

shirlc 04-22-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoAl (Post 16386956)
The only downside is that after 6 days or so, the cream will go sour, since in the can there's a lot of surface area in the whipped cream.


I know fresh cream is healthier, but I use the ultra-pasturized and it lasts longer than 6 days...I think about two weeks at least.

Arctic_Mama 04-22-2013 06:49 PM

Yes, do buy a can and cartridges if you like the lighter texture. They aren't that expensive and then you get the best of both worlds - ingredient control and the mouthfeel you want :)

Maryposa 04-22-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16386794)
I hear your frustration.
I don't cook. Well, occasionally I cook up a burger or some fish fillets on the barbque, but that's it.
Soooooooooooooo.....I want everything that is LC and healthy to be readily available either frozen or fresh, with no additives, so all I have to do is open a box or bag, toss it in the microwave add a little co or evoo and voila!
a delicious, nutritious LC meal in a minute.
Anyone want to hold hands with me, sing Kubaya and pray for this?
Oh, and maybe for world peace too?
:shake:

Two words.... George Foreman!!! :D

Maryposa 04-22-2013 08:06 PM

I added the less expensive iSi brand whipper to my virtual shopping cart lol thanks all.

Strawberry 04-23-2013 06:33 PM

Wow, seven bucks!??

I think its about 3 bucks at my stores.

Maryposa 04-23-2013 10:36 PM

Hi Strawberry, what stores are those? It was a big can, I am not sure if it comes in different sizes... but ya, I figured for 7 bucks I was at least getting HWC and splenda.... understanding that HWC is more expensive than "non dairy" stuff.

tulipsandroses 04-24-2013 11:20 AM

wow @ 7 bucks. I get it for $3.50.
Love the stuff but I don't think I would buy it for 7 bucks.
I could make my own but I'm lazy so this works for me to top off my coffee drinks.

PianoAl 04-27-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlc (Post 16387015)
I know fresh cream is healthier, but I use the ultra-pasturized and it lasts longer than 6 days...I think about two weeks at least.

You're right, but there's something that happens in the whipper related to the extra surface area of the whipped cream. We use ultra-pasteurized, but the stuff in the whipper goes bad in less than a week, although the stuff in the carton is fine for another month and half.

astribling 04-27-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoAl (Post 16396911)
You're right, but there's something that happens in the whipper related to the extra surface area of the whipped cream. We use ultra-pasteurized, but the stuff in the whipper goes bad in less than a week, although the stuff in the carton is fine for another month and half.

I just got my whipper a few weeks ago, and have had cream in it for 2 weeks now and still tastes great! And I am so glad I made the investment in it. I love getting fresh cream - sweetened and flavored the way I want - at any time. :jumpjoy:

PianoAl 04-28-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astribling (Post 16397443)
...have had cream in it for 2 weeks now and still tastes great!

I'd like to figure out your secret -- can you tell me exactly what you put in (for example, we just put in 1.5 cups of ultra-pasteurized classic heavy whipping cream)?

How often have you used it (for example, we use it 2-3 times per day)?

Thanks!

astribling 04-28-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoAl (Post 16398167)
I'd like to figure out your secret -- can you tell me exactly what you put in (for example, we just put in 1.5 cups of ultra-pasteurized classic heavy whipping cream)?

How often have you used it (for example, we use it 2-3 times per day)?

Thanks!

Well, this was literally my first time using it, so I guess I got lucky! But here is what I did...

I have the pint sized whipper, so I purchased a pint of the Kroger heavy whipping cream - I believe that is ultra pasteurized. I used the whole pint, added in some liquid splenda drops to taste and about a tsp or so of almond extract for flavoring. I have had it in the fridge for 2 weeks now, and actually used the last of it this morning. I probably use it once or sometimes twice a day.

Maybe the alcohol in the extract makes a difference? Maybe the whipper starts to get a build up after a while?

I'll report back if I notice any changes.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 PM.