Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Asian Grocery Store Finds

I recently (two weeks ago) moved. I am literally right across the street from a very large, very popular Asian grocery store. I must say, I was shocked to find it is a low carbers DREAM!

- Fresh Pork Side (the stuff they make bacon out of... soo much yummy FAT on it!)

- delish coconut CREAM for 1.79 a can, coconut "paste", milk, and flour

- dried cuttle fish AKA squid (first tried it hawaii, it has a bit of sugar so portion control is a good idea, but it's a nice snack, texture is like jerky)

- Korean roasted seaweed (says "43% oil!" on the package) 26 delish calories for 10 sheets, way yummier (IMO) than Japanese seaweed which has no oil and is thicker)

- CHEAP fruits and veggies (89 cent strawberries, 1.99 huge bag of green beans, TWO globe artichokes for 2-something)

- SUPER yummy dried fish and peanut snack (dried tiny fish, peanuts, dried green onion, sesame seeds, and dried red pepper)

- Not super low carb, but proportioned to a small enough amount that if I eat tiny little pre-portioned bag it's fine, dried garlic peas (OMG yum!)

- I didn't buy it, but Korean bakery products where the first ingredient is... wait for it... ALMOND FLOUR!!! and the second ingredient was pumpkin

So, all this to say, if you have an Asian grocery store around, but figure it'll be all rice and pot stickers and ramen (I must admit, there is a whole entire frozen isle dedicated to pot stickers lmao, there is ALSO a whole isle dedicated to yummy dried seasoned VEGGIES!) give it a try, you just might find some fun yummy ways to add new variety to your diet!

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Another thing, the first Ad I saw from this place announced PORK SIDE WEEK!!! It was on sale super cheap and the ad said that everyone knows that pork side is cleansing and healthy or something like that... tee hee that's the first time I have heard something like that outside of these threads.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

I keep thinking of other things I saw but did not try.... hard boiled goose eggs! They were large.

I wonder if I am not allergic to them (I am allergic to chicken egg protein)
Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I love love love my local Asian markets. I go there often, and buy at least one new thing to try with each visit.

I most often go to 99 Ranch Market, which is the big Asian supermarket chain out here, is that where you're going?

Don't forget to try the seasonings and sauces. Some are sugary, but not all. I have a ton of different hot sauces and such. Also, they have canned straw mushrooms, which are great in stir fry, for about a third of the price of regular markets. Same with coconut milk and other stuff. I buy my shirataki noodles (the original kind, no tofu) for as little as 2/$1! I love experimenting with new flavors and seasonings, so that place is heaven.

And yes, the meats are great. I get all kinds of meats from there, including goat when it's on sale. A month or two back, I got a huge bag of chicken drumsticks for $.69/lb! It was something like 15 pounds for 11 or 12 bucks. They have baby octopus, which I love, and all kinds of great stuff.

Half the time, I'm walking around on my iPhone, looking things up, trying to get an idea of what people do with something that looks intriguing. I feel like a tourist, but that's cool.

Yeah, they're a great source.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

As for the goose, it's a different species, so try it. Unless you're allergic to all bird protein, which would be a feat, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #6

Mine is HMart. I know right, I am just eating the roasted seaweed out of the package, but wondering what I am "supposed" to eat it with

I'm ALREADY spoiled... trip to HMart with all kinds of stuff, $18. Trip to Albertsons with a similar amount of "stuff" $70!! I was shocked.... What the...
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
As for the goose, it's a different species, so try it. Unless you're allergic to all bird protein, which would be a feat, it shouldn't be a problem.
I am not allergic to chicken muscle protein (I love chicken thighs!), just egg protein.

I logically know you are right, but I am scared to experiment! I get hives AND a stomach ache from chicken eggs
Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

I get it. I have some crazy life-threatening food allergies, and some that are "just" really inconvenient and painful. Figuring out what's what is anxiety producing.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #9

Another one, pre-cut "strings" of veggies (would be fun to make stir fry with those as the "noodles").

And seaweed salad, the kind you can get in sushi places.

I don't like kim chi, but they have it there, and I imagine it's low carb.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Another one, pre-cut "strings" of veggies (would be fun to make stir fry with those as the "noodles").

And seaweed salad, the kind you can get in sushi places.

I don't like kim chi, but they have it there, and I imagine it's low carb.
Yep, kim chi is pretty much the same as sauerkraut carb-wise... 2g total per serving from what I've seen

And I absolutely LOVE the Asian markets too! I need to plan a trip, because I haven't been there since I started LC. I'm really excited to see what kinds of new things I can find there that I might enjoy, because before I was mostly all about the candies... although I do love their tea selection! I love the idea of cheap shirataki noodles too, because I pay $2-$3-something per bag
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #11

I don't love Shirataki noodles, I prefer spaghetti squash, julienne cut zucchini, kelp noodles, etc as a noodle replacement. But, yes, they had tons of Shirataki noodles there, in two different isles (the veggie section and the refrigerated noodle section)... one kind had spots of iodine or something in them.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I love my Korean market. It sells shirataki noodles at the best price.

Although I love kimchi, the types available, do add sugar. My new best choice is Bubbies sauerkraut which is cabbage, artesien well water and salt. Carboydrates 1g and fibre 1g per 1/4 cup so pretty much a wash. A much better 'deal' in my mind but not available at my Korean market!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I love my Korean market.
This one has other stuff which I recognize as primarily Japanese, Thai or Chinese, but I do get the sense that it is mostly Korean stuff.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Although I love kimchi, the types available, do add sugar. My new best choice is Bubbies sauerkraut which is cabbage, artesien well water and salt. Carboydrates 1g and fibre 1g per 1/4 cup so pretty much a wash. A much better 'deal' in my mind but not available at my Korean market!
Wow, I wish I could find sauerkraut with that many carbs per 1/4 cup... all the ones I've found were 2g total for 2T. Who in the heck only wants two tablespoons of kraut?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
Wow! This is so eye opening! I never knew that you could get such great low carb things at an Asian market and for great prices!

Thank you SO much for starting this thread. Now to see if I have an Asain Market near by.
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #16

I just remembered that I read that some Asian grocery stores have fried chicken skin (like pork rinds, but chicken skin instead of pig skin). I'll look for that next time, since i do like to eat crisped chicken skin from the frying pan, or on fried chicken wings!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
What a great post Mary! And may I say you're before/after pix is stunning and such a great inspiration.

I live in a larger city w/a whole slew of Asian markets just minutes away. Used to go to them more frequently because it was such a fun and different experience, but that was in my high carb days and what I was buying wasn't pretty for my current woe.

So I thank you for pointing out the possibilities, and inspiring me to adventure into Asian markets once again. Part of the fun of eating Low Carb to me is to challenge myself to new things and new ways---to go where I have not gone before. Looks like there's an Asian market visit in my future and lucky me, I've got several big and good ones to choose from.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #18

Blue-skies and Z-Baby, I am glad to know that I (and the others who posted their Asian grocery faves) have inspired you!

Oh! I just remembered another, I am not sure which country favors roasted hazelnuts, but I did see many brands of snack bags of those, for a great price!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #19

Looked it up, looks like roasted hazelnuts are a Chinese favorite... "Asia is home to several native hazelnut species. In fact, a Chinese manuscript from 2838 BC declared that hazelnuts were among the five sacred foods given to man from heaven."
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Mine is HMart. I know right, I am just eating the roasted seaweed out of the package, but wondering what I am "supposed" to eat it with

I'm ALREADY spoiled... trip to HMart with all kinds of stuff, $18. Trip to Albertsons with a similar amount of "stuff" $70!! I was shocked.... What the...
Hmart is where I do the majority of my shopping! The veggies are sooooo much cheaper!!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I buy frozen coconut milk and frozen young coconut meat from the local Asian Market, Red Boat fish sauce (no sugar added) and some of their veggies are the freshest ever. We have a local grocery store that has a decent Asian section, and they have a whole refrigerated case of Asian noodles, including shiritake noodles with and without tofu.

I also buy big packages of nori and make my own "sushi" from mashed avacodo and smoked trout (Trader Joe's).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
My favorite thing in the Asian store near us is that they sell a package of all chicken hearts. As a child, the chicken heart was like a nugget of gold. When I saw them sold by the pound, I though I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. So a couple times a year I trat myself to the package of chicken hearts.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
My favorite thing in the Asian store near us is that they sell a package of all chicken hearts. As a child, the chicken heart was like a nugget of gold. When I saw them sold by the pound, I though I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. So a couple times a year I trat myself to the package of chicken hearts.
I just bought a package myself actually! They sell them all the time at my local farmer's market now... I'm so lucky, and they're so cheap too. I got a HUGE container of them for $2-something

My only issue now is... I have no idea how to count them I'll have to work them into my daily menu somehow, but I have no idea how organ meat works protein to fat to carb ratio wise. I'm guessing no carbs or trace carbs? No clue how many grams of protein per ounce though. Sometimes I hate that trackers show so many different measurements for the same item because it's hard to know which is right!

Not sure how I'll prepare them yet either, but I'm sure I'll figure something out I'd like to do something REALLY out there with them and make tacos with them some time or something... with cheese shells of course
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Yum!! I like gizards!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
dried garlic peas
OMG yes!!! I found these on my last trip!!!
good thing they came in little tiny bags!

I get things like soup bones, oxtails, ground pork and pork belly at my Asian market; very fresh and *so* cheap!

I get some seafood too...frozen oysters are cheap, and come in a nice big package instead of those little bitty cans!

I finally found some rice bran oil on my last trip...I've been looking for that forEVer!

I get lots of tofu & seitan for my vegetarian son.
Low-carb enough for me to have a few bites.

They sometimes have fresh seaweed in the produce section, and I use it to make my own (sugar-free) seaweed salad. It took me a while to figure out that you need kelp STEMS for that salad; I'd seen packages of "salted stems" in the refrigerated section (tofu/shirataki/miso etc), as well as 23 kinds of *dried* seaweed, and just didn't know what kind to get!

Oh, a favorite find of mine is BLACK SESAME POWDER. I use it for "breading" for fried foods, and it's divine! (Mixed with almond meal, white sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.)

They have very reasonably priced pork rinds (garlic flavor! ),
as well as conveniently ground-up pork rinds, if you use them as a flour/for breading.

While the Asian market is cheap, I've found certain things like spices, nuts, & coconut products to be a bit more varied and even cheaper at the Indian market (Patel Brothers).

raindroproses--I've only had chicken hearts as part of Brazilian "barbecue" (churrasco) but they were really good...google"Brazilian chicken hearts" if you're interested in recipes.
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-22-2013 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: grammar
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #26

piratejenny, wow that all sound fabulous! Yum! Thanks...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Ha ha, makes me want to make a trip to lee lees. It has mostly Asian food, but each aisle is a different region including England, Hawaii, and India.
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancypie11 View Post
Ha ha, makes me want to make a trip to lee lees. It has mostly Asian food, but each aisle is a different region including England, Hawaii, and India.
Sounds fun
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
raindroproses--I've only had chicken hearts as part of Brazilian "barbecue" (churrasco) but they were really good...google"Brazilian chicken hearts" if you're interested in recipes.
Huh, that sounds pretty good! I'd probably love them in that style... I'm definitely not new to chicken hearts and gizzards though, I LOVED them as a kid I love them deep fried, but my mom used to make something called giblet soup back in the day. It was amazing, and she always used to spoil me and give me the most hearts in my bowl because they were my favorite.

The most recent time I made them though I cooked them up and put them in a crockpot with some really delicious mushroom gravy with onions... and served it over plenty of rice or noodles of course, because this was my pre-LC days
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
One of my co-workers parent own a Asian Market. I'll be honest an say that a LOT of things in there give me the creeps. I buy ONE thing in there and it isn't low carb, but it is the occasional treat.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote