LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Mini goals

I need some ideas. I had a mini-goal if hitting 199, which I hit this week, so I've set a new mini-goal of 189.

The problem is that I don't know how to reward myself. Money is too tight to buy stuff. Food is right out (I'm not a dog in training!).

What kids of things do you use as mini-goals?
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
Do you like to read? I know money's tight but a used book store would probably have some type of clearance section where you can find books for super cheap. If you like to be outdoors, go for a hike, or a nature walk, or maybe some park you've been wanting to go to. Another option is to just save your reward. At your next mini goal, you could do a double reward. Kind of like an allowance you would give to a child, they could spend the money they earned that week, or save it. Start a jar and write down what you want to reward yourself with and save it until you can use it, or pair it with another reward.

AFM, the biggest reward is seeing the scale move down, the pride and accomplishment it makes me feel is better than anything I could reward myself with.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mobird
I try to look for the reward in my closet after I hit a mini-goal--something that I wasn't wearing because it was too tight. I had a pair of jeans hanging on my closet door for three months as a reminder not to eat past 7 pm, and when they finally zipped up easily it was better than new clothes!
Mobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
That was something I was thinking of too, was a jar that you could gradually put little amounts of money into... whatever you could afford, to save up for a reward when you're at your goal. If it's only $1 per week, that $1 will add up to something nice pretty quickly even still

If that's not an option though, I second the experiences over material items suggestion. Sometimes when I want to reward myself, but I don't want to BUY something I take myself to my favorite park and just RELAX Sometimes I take something to do with me, other times I just walk the trails and then sit by the lake. It really depends on how I'm feeling that day!

If you're not the outdoorsy type, maybe you could pencil in a "me" day at home and just pamper yourself and do the things that make you feel good for the entire day? If you don't normally get to relax much and you're feeling sleepy, take a nap if you want. Run a nice warm bath if you're into that and relax in there. If you enjoy watching movies, pick some of your favorites and set aside the time to watch those in a nice little marathon.

There's a lot of options out there, it just really depends on what sorts of things you enjoy and what would cater to your needs and wants the best
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
^ what she said

I am broke all the time as we are one income for (ethical?political?)reasons so I am the master of the cheap treat.I will add thrift shopping or a phone call to someone you don't see often to that list.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
This may seem silly, but I think of something I really want to do , but I have to wait for anyway, and instead of rewarding myself everytime, I use stickers to show how close I am to getting my bigger goal. My BF is using this system now as well.

So my mini goal is getting the stickers. I put them on my calendar or on my To Do board and just seeing them is partly a reward. One time I got some blank printable stickers and I printed my mini goal weights directly onto the sticker, and then when I got to that goal weight, I put that sticker on the day that I achieved it. Sometimes I got a whoosh and skipped a whole set of stickers. It was kinda goofy but fun.
I also printed other motivational phrases on my printable stickers so if I did that thing, then the sticker would say "Go Me" or "Good Job" with a little icon of what I did.

For example, I get a star sticker for each small task, and I can redeem a few stars to make my favorite dessert or to enjoy a trip to the $2 Cinema, or save 10 of them up for a trip to the Botanical Gardens for a nice stroll to enjoy the flowers.

When money is tight, you have to be creative. And don't think of it as being a trained dog when it concerns food, but maybe something you like is a time consuming task to make, allowing yourself to take the time to make something on plan that you don't usually get to enjoy can be a great reward for your hard work.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobird View Post
I try to look for the reward in my closet after I hit a mini-goal--something that I wasn't wearing because it was too tight. I had a pair of jeans hanging on my closet door for three months as a reminder not to eat past 7 pm, and when they finally zipped up easily it was better than new clothes!
I like this suggestion. Congrats on reaching the first mini-goal!
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Some great ideas. I have that same pair of pants in my closet. My wife bought them for me for Christmas before I started my diet. I knew they were too small, but I expected to be in them by 30 pounds! I can now get them zipped up, but I don't think I could actually sit down in them. Those pants will feel great to wear!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
As a reward when I retired, I bought a Kindle...I know money is tight, but the app for a pc, notebook or android is free at Amazon...and they have a ton of free books...of course, I love books and reading and used to use the used book stores and thrift shops for quarter books.

I also use the "taking the time and effort to make something special" reward...things I wouldn't take the time to make.

And, of course, the shopping in my closet works wonders for a reward. I'll bet you have something in that closet you haven't worn in years that will now fit you, and be comfortable.

Good luck and congrats on making the mini goal...

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mobird
Let us know when you wear those pants that your wife bought you for Christmas--if you can get them zipped up now they should fit comfortably real soon. That's my kind of goal!
Mobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
How about a nice date with your wife to whatever level of restaurant is in the budget or going to the movies?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I turned 40 today (pounds lost, that is! . And the pants fit now.

And on the mini-goal, I decided to splurge on an iPhone app that will help with my goal of learning to sing (since private lessons are right out). If it can get me to the point that dogs don't run, hide, and howl when I sing, it'll be well worth the cost ($15 is a pricey app).
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Awesome!! And Congrats on your weight loss!!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Yay! Congrats on "reaching 40" and good for you for allowing yourself the splurge on a fun, non-food related reward! Great idea! So we'll see you on "The Voice" next year, right?
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Congrats and your weight loss!!! Have fun with your new app!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
Yay! Congrats on "reaching 40" and good for you for allowing yourself the splurge on a fun, non-food related reward! Great idea! So we'll see you on "The Voice" next year, right?
More like one of the people Simon would have ridiculed into humiliation on Idol.