Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Holy Crap, I'm NORMAL!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802497-holy-crap-im-normal.html)

raindroproses 04-20-2013 07:15 AM

Holy Crap, I'm NORMAL!!
 
Holy crap, I didn't even notice... time to celebrate, because I hit my first BIG milestone!!

I may not be at my first goal yet, but today when I calculated my BMI on those stupid worthless calculators after the 1.5 pound whoosh I had this morning... I'M FINALLY "NORMAL!" :jumpjoy: :jumpjoy:

BMI - 24.9, so I JUST hit the very upper level of normal at this point. But I'll TAKE it!

I know the BMI calculator (at least the one that doesn't take your frame size into consideration) is a whole bunch of crap and doesn't take into account muscle or skeletal structure... but just SEEING it tell me I was obese before, and then SEEING it tell me I was still overweight after all the work I'd put in... it was haunting me despite all that.

TAKE THAT BMI CALCULATOR!! :cool:

Phase 04-20-2013 07:25 AM

Way to go!!:jumpjoy:

avid 04-20-2013 07:27 AM

YaY!!!:high5:

Gibbs 04-20-2013 07:48 AM

AWESOME!! I hope to be close to the description someday too:lol:

GAVIV 04-20-2013 08:08 AM

:clap::clap:

lose4life 04-20-2013 08:18 AM

Congratulations :jumpjoy:

Julie1972 04-20-2013 08:39 AM

Congrats!! I can't wait to join you in the normal range!!!

nolcjunk 04-20-2013 08:51 AM

Congratulations.

But, I do not get it- if you don't believe in BMI, why do you care if you are normal or overweight by its standards. A lot of people post this and it makes no sense to me because if you truly don't believe in something, who cares where you fall according to those standards? I don't believe in the food pyramid, so I wouldn't care or celebrate if one of my daily menus fell within its perimeters.

I think BMI gives a good range of weights and is accurate since most people are not muscle bound athletes with tiny body fat percentages, and if you are one of those people then you know that you are not really overweight.

reddarin 04-20-2013 09:13 AM

There's nothing wrong with feeling a great sense of victory at beating the mainstream's barometer for obesity even if you understand that the BMI is poppycock. You beat them at their game. You took their measure stick and whacked them over the head with it.

Hooray RDR!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
:clap::clap::clap:

MtherGoos 04-20-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16384395)
There's nothing wrong with feeling a great sense of victory at beating the mainstream's barometer for obesity even if you understand that the BMI is poppycock. You beat them at their game. You took their measure stick and whacked them over the head with it.

Hooray RDR!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
:clap::clap::clap:

:goodpost: That's it exactly! You have every reason to celebrate!!

:jumpjoy::high5::jumpjoy::high5:

baileygirl3 04-20-2013 09:28 AM

Yay, congrats!!!

raindroproses 04-20-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16384395)
There's nothing wrong with feeling a great sense of victory at beating the mainstream's barometer for obesity even if you understand that the BMI is poppycock. You beat them at their game. You took their measure stick and whacked them over the head with it.

Hooray RDR!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
:clap::clap::clap:

:goodpost: THANK YOU! That's exactly what it is! :) It doesn't matter if I don't believe in the BMI so much, it matters that there's a chart out there somewhere that's been measuring me as something I didn't feel anymore... as someone who was picked on incessantly as a child for being overweight to the point of having serious emotional issues as well as self esteem issues into adulthood... that was what it was akin to. Even if I didn't agree with it, it felt the same as when kids called me "fat" growing up when I really honestly WASN'T at that stage in my life!

I'd like to take their measuring stick and whack them over the head with it again, honestly... they deserve it :laugh:

But thank you reddarin! And thank you to everyone else who congratulated me! Some people might not understand why it's such a big deal to me, but it was a pretty big deal and a really nice reward to see after such a rough week :hugs:

Woohoo! :jumpjoy:

raindroproses 04-20-2013 10:39 AM

I think it's just that stigma of people telling you that you're something you're not. Some people might be okay with that, and be able to just shrug it off because they know it's complete and utter crap and not true... but when you've got a history of being torn down by others, and a history of low self esteem... it still gets to you, whether you know it's crap or not.

For someone to tell me I'm NORMAL for a change... I don't know, even if I knew it, and the people I surround myself with NOW knew it... it's just liberating to see. It just felt like a bully who picked on me as a kid admitting they were wrong, you know? Except I never got that kind of gratification from the bullies, so I'm getting it now by beating the charts :)

rubidoux 04-20-2013 10:47 AM

Yay! Congrats!!! :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16384395)
There's nothing wrong with feeling a great sense of victory at beating the mainstream's barometer for obesity even if you understand that the BMI is poppycock. You beat them at their game. You took their measure stick and whacked them over the head with it.

Hooray RDR!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
:clap::clap::clap:

I agree with this. I do not think that the BMI is a good tool and I think it is downright wrong all over the place, but I do check it every few pounds or so. It would feel pretty great to get to "normal" even though I don't really think that "normal" isn't exactly what I'm shooting for. I think my goal, though, is actually in the overweight category.

Do you know what your start date was? It seems like you just showed up here recently, but you must have been well on your way...

raindroproses 04-20-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16384546)
Do you know what your start date was? It seems like you just showed up here recently, but you must have been well on your way...

My start date for my current LC WOE was January 25th, but I was about 183-185 pounds at that point. So I'm down almost 30 pounds from then. Before then I think I started around... November maybe? October? Before I was just yo-yo-ing up to 200-some and then back to 175 or so. Then back up, then back down. And then I wound up following the low glycemic load diet for a while before arriving here. I lurked for a while on the forums before joining, but I'm definitely glad I joined now :)

giJ 04-20-2013 01:36 PM

I'm not a fan of BMI either, but hitting 24.9 was a huge accomplishment for me. I figure it's probably the ONLY measurement by which I'll ever be "normal". :D

Congrats! Welcome to "normal". :)

kiwistars 04-20-2013 01:50 PM

Congrats:)

BecBelle 04-20-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16384534)
I think it's just that stigma of people telling you that you're something you're not. Some people might be okay with that, and be able to just shrug it off because they know it's complete and utter crap and not true... but when you've got a history of being torn down by others, and a history of low self esteem... it still gets to you, whether you know it's crap or not.

For someone to tell me I'm NORMAL for a change... I don't know, even if I knew it, and the people I surround myself with NOW knew it... it's just liberating to see. It just felt like a bully who picked on me as a kid admitting they were wrong, you know? Except I never got that kind of gratification from the bullies, so I'm getting it now by beating the charts :)

I totally get and identify with this post. I think BMI is big load of poop, but I really want to be treated and looked at as normal. It means that someday I can whip out that stupid chart and say "I'm normal BMI stop hassling and judging me"

lterry913 04-20-2013 03:57 PM

Yay...celebrate.

lanita 04-20-2013 05:34 PM

Congratulations! It IS a big deal. I totally get it. And you don't have to justify your pleasure over it. Some people just like to be argumentative.

raindroproses 04-20-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanita (Post 16385010)
Congratulations! It IS a big deal. I totally get it. And you don't have to justify your pleasure over it. Some people just like to be argumentative.

Thank you! :jumpjoy: And you totally took the words right out of my mouth... it's a big deal to me too, believe me. Even IF I don't follow it as gospel :)

nolcjunk 04-20-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16385134)
Thank you! :jumpjoy: And you totally took the words right out of my mouth... it's a big deal to me too, believe me. Even IF I don't follow it as gospel :)

I didn't mean to be snarky, I truly wanted to know why since most people here tend to vilify the bmi charts. I think weight loss should be celebrated and you have every right to be happy, I just didn't get the normal BMI celebration.

peretroika 04-20-2013 08:29 PM

Blah blah blah BMI....long story short, you're proud, I'm proud, celebrate your own personal accomplishments and enjoy those feelings! :jumpjoy:

A&F 04-21-2013 02:34 PM

Congratulations! :jumpjoy:

Z-Baby 04-21-2013 02:37 PM

That's amazing!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

Babydoll 04-21-2013 02:37 PM

Yay you!!!


Keep on doing what you're doing! ;) ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 AM.