Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   is this ok? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802475-ok.html)

Luca 04-19-2013 08:13 PM

is this ok?

The past couple of months I have been eating a carby bite of this and that. It has all added up to gaining and losing 3-5 pounds. So this week I am trying to stay strictly low carb-a little like induction but no bites of anything extra. Basically, I have been trying to do a "fat fast" the past 4 days. I have enjoyed discovering some new foods, like spreadable brie on pork rinds, cream cheese pancakes, etc. However, my appetite is through the roof! I am hungry constantly! I have not given in to the carb monster BUT feel like I could be losing more if I eat less....is this normal and will my ravenous appetite subside?
Is there a reason all this delicious low carb, rich fatty food is not serving as an appetite suppressant yet? Has this happened to anyone?:stars:

emily1965 04-19-2013 09:28 PM

It seems to me like my hunger peaks at about 4 day and is gone by day 6. You might want to add some protein.

reddarin 04-19-2013 10:17 PM

Pork rinds have a ton of protein in them. If you are eating a lot of protein that could be doing some tricks with your insulin since excess protein gets turned into glucose.

Leo41 04-20-2013 04:34 AM

It's possibly your unique body chemistry. I eat low carb always. But when I raise my fat level, I get hungry--not satiated as others do--and I gain.

I do best with just the natural fat in the food I eat and the butter or EVOO I use in its preparation. I believe that Dr. A said that if we just eat this way, the naturally occurring fat in our food--esp. eggs and meat--would give us 65% fat, so by not specifically trying to add fat, I believe I get enough.

As my stats indicate, this has worked for me. Raising fat, even lowering protein to keep my calories in the same range, drives up my hunger and weight.

nolcjunk 04-20-2013 05:31 AM

I think it's the recipes, like the pancakes. People tend to overeat on those a lot.

I also don't think very high fat foods help with hunger that much .obviously fat helps satiate us, but that is only to a point. So many times people post about eating a too many fat bombs, too much cheese, too much hwc, too much of an lc cheesecake. You don't hear that about hardboiled eggs or chicken breasts. But, if you add tons of fat, esp in the form of dairy then there is more chance that those foods will be overeaten like putting cheesy sauces on that chicken.

Punkin 04-20-2013 07:29 AM

Yes definitely. I think for a fat fast to work, you have to really shock your body into the "fat burning" mode. Maybe a day or two with all fat, and a tiny bit of protein, but only for a short period of time. The other thing is trying to convince your lipophylic tissues to give up their fat stores helps. Keeping them warm, so they get the circulation they need to release their fat.

Knittering 04-20-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

I think it's the recipes, like the pancakes. People tend to overeat on those a lot.
I agree.
Keep it simple. Before trying a fat fast, I'd switch to clean eating: meat, healthy fat, vegetables, eggs, and homemade bone broth. Drink water. For most people, it works like a charm. :)

clackley 04-20-2013 07:42 AM

Yes, I think it is normal to feel ravenous on a fat fast after eating enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis (assuming this is what is happening). Additionally the fat fast is not many calories (1000) so the 2 things together would conceivably cause hunger. The good news is that you will likely get the appetite suppression that comes with ketosis if you can keep it up until then.

Rhubarb 04-20-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca (Post 16383682)
The past couple of months I have been eating a carby bite of this and that. It has all added up to gaining and losing 3-5 pounds. So this week I am trying to stay strictly low carb-a little like induction but no bites of anything extra. Basically, I have been trying to do a "fat fast" the past 4 days. I have enjoyed discovering some new foods, like spreadable brie on pork rinds, cream cheese pancakes, etc. However, my appetite is through the roof! I am hungry constantly! I have not given in to the carb monster BUT feel like I could be losing more if I eat less....is this normal and will my ravenous appetite subside?

Is there a reason all this delicious low carb, rich fatty food is not serving as an appetite suppressant yet? Has this happened to anyone?:stars:

I tried the fat fast to lose my last 5 pounds and it didn't work for me. I wasn't ravenous but I certainly was hungry and the scale didn't move. The VLC meat and egg fast did. My appetite reduced to nothing and the weight came off easily. You could give it a try.

So far (knock on wood, it's early days) I'm keeping it off with a fairly normal low carb daily diet.

reddarin 04-20-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb (Post 16384490)
I tried the fat fast to lose my last 5 pounds and it didn't work for me. I wasn't ravenous but I certainly was hungry and the scale didn't move. The VLC meat and egg fast did. My appetite reduced to nothing and the weight came off easily. You could give it a try.

So far (knock on wood, it's early days) I'm keeping it off with a fairly normal low carb daily diet.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...st-anyone.html

:)

jijane21 04-20-2013 01:52 PM

Those little bites sure do add up! I also need to get rid of those a restart my weight loss. This is how the carb creep starts!!!

Brassteacher 04-20-2013 02:05 PM

It's the pancakes.

Without knowing more, my guess will be the pancakes. They may be zero carb, but if they are sweet, it will invoke an insulin surge resulting in low blood sugar and therefore ravenous hunger.

What most don't realize is that it's less about macronutrients and more about hormones. If you stimulate high insulin production, you store fat. When insulin drives blood sugar low, you get lethargic and hungry.

I would try not eating anything sweet for a while and see if the hunger subsides as well as the fat.

Cheers, John