Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeriouslyFunny
Stats: 287/xxx/165
Start Date: April 2013
ACV Tonic - Color Me Surprised

So here I am, back LCing again after a long absence, having a really good week -- and trying new things.

First, was Bulletproof Coffee. Seriously, butter in coffee? I was skeptical. But no, it was really good. And satisfying. Awesome!

Next, I was reading up on ACV tonics. Again, skeptical -- not about the benefits, really (in addition to the nutrients, I have a tendency towards bladder infections, so the vinegar is a good thing) but about the taste. Really? Vinegar?

This stuff is GOOD. I took the advice of a couple of different websites and added a tsp. of baking soda, in case it's hard on my stomach. Organic unfiltered vinegar + Stevia + baking soda in water? Fizzy and actually delicious. Plus, it gave me a much-needed mid-afternoon boost.

Thanks for all the information you guys share. It's good to be back in the loving arms of low carb.
SeriouslyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I drink 3-4 a day and find them delicious too! I've never heard about trying the baking soda added though... that's interesting

Mine are just a tall glass of water + 1T of organic unfiltered ACV + 6 drops or so of lemon flavored Stevia... tastes like tangy lemonade

Glad to see you're discovering some of the finer things in LC life lately! I find that the tonics and the bulletproof beverages help me out a lot too!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoeubanks
Stats: 280/253/168
I started on ACV today and nearly cried when I first tasted it....so sour! But then I took another sip...and another...and another...and it's a strangely addicting, acquired taste.
cocoeubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I drink ACV in flavored lemon water, or 'hint water' or some other infused water. After a few days, you actually crave it because it is SO refreshing. It is so good for you. 3 Tblsp. spread out daily.

Honestly, for myself...my edema in my feet and ankles went away. So did my foot pain and the tenderness around the ankle bones. My feet look normal and my knees don't hurt like they used to. This in itself is really proof of nothing in the medical world. But my , skin & joints sure are happy!
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
My husband used to drink it every night, but I never got into it. He drank it straight, though, diluted with water. I never thought to add sweetener. Might have to try it today, I have some Bragg's raw ACV in the fridge. Do you have any info on adding the baking soda? I hadn't heard of doing that before either. I'm concerned it would negate some of the positive effects of the vinegar, but I have no idea really!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Be careful, drinking acv throughout the day can weaken enamel, especially if you are sipping on the drinks. Whenever I have salad that has acv as part of the dressing I make sure to rinse my teeth/mouth with water right after (don't brush right after because that's even worse).
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I drink it through a straw in a tall glass of water and always rinse my mouth out with water afterward
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I tried a Tbsp straight up this morning....bllllllllllllllleeeeeeeech! But at least it's over with...
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gdever1975
Just had to try the drink with baking soda and its delicious ! Thanks!
gdever1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I do know this much -- don't do vinegar straight! It's VERY acidic, and could damage your throat. Even with the tonic, you should rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth afterwards, because prolonged use can damage your tooth enamel.

The baking soda thing is to offset the acidity of the vinegar for taste and the sake of your stomach. 1/2 tsp. in the water, add the vinegar, wait for the fizz to due down somewhat, drink.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdever1975 View Post
Look at me! I just got here, and I'm being all helpful and stuff.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslyFunny View Post
Look at me! I just got here, and I'm being all helpful and stuff.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I like my Braggs ACV unaltered. No baking soda for me.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
The baking soda thing is to offset the acidity of the vinegar for taste and the sake of your stomach. 1/2 tsp. in the water, add the vinegar, wait for the fizz to due down somewhat, drink.
I guess I still don't understand if the baking soda is negating some of the benefits of the ACV. Baking soda is alkaline and ACV is acid (though I realize ACV is considered "alkalinizing" in the body) so by combining them together you are neutralizing at least some of the acid in the vinegar. I assume at least some of the benefits of the ACV is in it's acidity? Or not?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

The vinegar is, indeed, alkalinizing, and baking soda is an alkaline, as well. A fellow named Dr. Theodore Baroody wrote a book called "Alkalize or Die" (which I haven't read, I got this from Livestrong) and he says: "By mixing them in the correct proportions, their combined acidic and alkaline properties create a drink with a near-perfect pH of seven, which slightly alters the body's pH. Pour 2 tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar into a tall glass. Use organic vinegar to avoid impurities and pesticide residue that may affect the pH. Add to the vinegar, 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Allow the mixture to foam until there is no fizz remaining. Add 8 oz. water or more and drink the entire mixture all at once. It will taste like flat water and is not unpleasant. Although there is no scientific research concerning the effects of this mixture, anecdotal evidence indicates it may create an almost immediate change in the body's pH."

Last edited by SeriouslyFunny; 04-19-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do know this much -- don't do vinegar straight! It's VERY acidic, and could damage your throat. Even with the tonic, you should rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth afterwards, because prolonged use can damage your tooth enamel.

Definitely don't brush your teeth afterward! Just swish some water around in your mouth to clear it out... I hear brushing your teeth after acidic things makes matters worse, not better

And yeah, DEFINITELY don't drink it straight! It can burn your esophagus and do some really nasty things that way... always in a tall glass of water, and if 1T is too much for you try a teaspoon or two instead! I started out with 2tsp originally and then upped it to 1T myself
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xo ashley
Stats: 155*140* 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/01/2009... Quit in 2011. Back 3/31/13
I just tried something new...

ACV + sparkling water (well, distilled water made sparkling w/ my soda stream).

SO GOOD!

Thanks for the idea :-)
xo ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the info about the baking soda! I was afraid it would negate some of the benefits, too. Good to know it won't, because taking that mess straight nearly made me cry.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Definitely don't brush your teeth afterward! Just swish some water around in your mouth to clear it out... I hear brushing your teeth after acidic things makes matters worse, not better

And yeah, DEFINITELY don't drink it straight! It can burn your esophagus and do some really nasty things that way... always in a tall glass of water, and if 1T is too much for you try a teaspoon or two instead! I started out with 2tsp originally and then upped it to 1T myself
I always use a straw with ACV tonics too. I did the tonics for a few months and my teeth became very sensitive. Had to use special toothpaste for a few weeks to get my teeth back to normal. Now I always use a straw and have no problems.
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
How many tonics a day should we be drinking. Since this is new to me, what are the health benefits? Why should we be drinking this? i used to drink 1 tbsp of ACV straight to get rid of pregnancy heartburn, believe it or not it took away the burn that not even the strongest prescription pills could.
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

From the other ACV thread floating around:

Quote:
I did have leg cramps before! Moreso when I actually drank alcohol still (which I assume was because it dehydrates you and I was constantly running to the bathroom, which depletes your electrolytes) but I was still getting them up until recently too... just less severe thankfully. I drink the ACV tonics 3x a day every day (4x a day during TOM) and I haven't had leg cramps lately at all! I also don't get TOM cramps anymore either, and retain far less water now too. 1 pound this month, versus 4 the month prior to starting my potassium supplementation. I also take 99mg in the morning with my multi, and an extra 99mg at night during TOM too

I really do think the ACV helps! I've read somewhere that it helps with inflammation too, and I'd believe it because the joint pain I used to have all the time has all but ceased too... all I take is a multi, magnesium, and potassium right now
You can also google "apple cider vinegar health benefits" for more information, because there's a LOT of different things it does for the body I've found that it's helped clear my skin up a lot too I think, and I actually use it mixed with water as a toner... it's a great anti-bacterial from what I've read, so it helps clear up blemishes if you have any. I usually wet a cotton swab with it whenever I have a pimple, and dab some (mixed with water!) on there a few times a day and within a day or so it's drying up and going away. That's HUGE for me because I used to struggle with breakouts all the time.

I also hear it boosts the immune system, and while I can't say for sure... I'd believe it. I haven't felt remotely under the weather since starting it
Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
I'm sold!lol
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I've just read up on it and I can't believe it took me this long to see how many health benefits this stuff has. My question is, how much and how many times a day are you supposed to drink it and so you all have any good drink recipes for this?
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gladiator
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdever1975 View Post
I will try too. I bought it today and I know that it is not good for teeth and baking soda will lower the acidity.
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I've just read up on it and I can't believe it took me this long to see how many health benefits this stuff has. My question is, how much and how many times a day are you supposed to drink it and so you all have any good drink recipes for this?
It's really up to personal tastes I think. If you're not familiar with the tang of the flavor of ACV you might want to start small. I started with 2 teaspoons in a tall glass of water 3x per day (morning, afternoon, night... not really with meals, just in between) and then worked my way up to 1 tablespoon 3x a day now. Like I was mentioning, I drink 4 glasses each day when it's TOM time and it really seems to help me to get the extra in It works as a great hunger suppressor too imo in between meals!

As far as drink recipes goes, I usually use those flavored stevia drops. They're expensive, but last a LONG time. I'm sure you could probably use some of the fruity flavored syrups too if you had those instead, or even some powder from a Crystal Light packet.

I normally take a tall glass of water and add 1T of Braggs ACV, and about 6 drops of the lemon flavored stevia. I bought some fruit punch flavor too I want to try, and also berry. Believe it or not, one of the ladies at the health food store told me yesterday too that they like the vanilla creme flavor with the ACV so I might try that soon too. They said it was delicious!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
I will try too. I bought it today and I know that it is not good for teeth and baking soda will lower the acidity.
It's really fine for teeth so long as you drink it with a straw fairly quickly (don't swish it around in your mouth and savor it, in other words ) and you rinse your mouth with water afterward

Just DON'T brush your teeth afterward! That actually does more harm than good, and from what I understand teeth brushing should be avoided immediately following soda drinking as well!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gladiator
Quote:
It's really fine for teeth so long as you drink it with a straw fairly quickly (don't swish it around in your mouth and savor it, in other words ) and you rinse your mouth with water afterward

Just DON'T brush your teeth afterward! That actually does more harm than good, and from what I understand teeth brushing should be avoided immediately following soda drinking as well!
Ok I will buy straws.
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Maybe it's just a craving manifesting itself, but I swear, when you add the 1/2 tsp baking soda and no sweetener, it tastes like really flat beer. I let the hubs try it, and he thought the same thing! We used to always do beer and pizza on Sunday nights, so now I'm wondering if I mixed it with some sort of fizzy water if I may be able to have pretend beer and cauliflower pizza Sunday, lol!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ok, so first take, idk if I can do this lol.

I bought some Braggs ACV yesterday, and also, they had some Braggs ACV drinks made already. I got a ginger one and a limeade one. I brought the limeade one this morning and I just can't get past the vinegar taste. I almost rather just measure a tbsp of ACV out and drink it straight to get it over with.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ok, so first take, idk if I can do this lol.

I bought some Braggs ACV yesterday, and also, they had some Braggs ACV drinks made already. I got a ginger one and a limeade one. I brought the limeade one this morning and I just can't get past the vinegar taste. I almost rather just measure a tbsp of ACV out and drink it straight to get it over with.
Ouch, yeah definitely don't do that! That's really dangerous and can cause some damage to your body if you drink it straight. I've never tried the pre-made drinks, but I would imagine they'd be much stronger than what I mix... the vinegar taste when it's mixed in a tall glass of water with some sweetener or flavoring is pretty mild, and since you're supposed to pretty much drink it quick with a straw you bypass a lot of the flavor anyway. I usually set the straw back behind my teeth and just suck it down as quick as possible... I do enjoy the flavor of it though, I just do that for the benefit of my teeth

If you enjoy cream soda at all and have any vanilla-like sweetener, maybe try that? When I use my vanilla stevia drops it tastes like flat cream soda or almond like flat rootbeer... it's really nice, and I almost wish I didn't have to chug it!