Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Well I'm very interested/curious about this because I have heard a lot of people talking about the benefits of ACV. But I'm confused -- regarding mixing ACV with baking soda:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslyFunny View Post
Dr. Theodore Baroody: "By mixing them in the correct proportions, their combined acidic and alkaline properties create a drink with a near-perfect pH of seven, which slightly alters the body's pH."
Yes, any time you mix an acid and a base you get water. And water has a neutral pH of 7.

I can see that drinking ACV might have benefits, I'm not arguing that point. I'm asking what possible benefit could there be to drinking water made from neutralizing an acid with a base, versus just drinking mineral water or spring water or just plain old water?

And I'm not directing the question specifically to you, SeriouslyFunny. I really appreciate you sharing the quote! I'm just wondering if anyone can explain this quote more fully because right now my "bogus alarm" is ringing. I can't make sense of this.

Greta

Last edited by Gretalyn; 04-26-2013 at 07:35 AM..
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
I can see that drinking ACV might have benefits, I'm not arguing that point. I'm asking what possible benefit could there be to drinking water made from neutralizing an acid with a base, versus just drinking mineral water or spring water or just plain old water?
Yeah, I myself don't see how adding baking soda to the mixture will help at all... I'm in the group of people who thinks you're negating the positive effects of the ACV by neutralizing it, since it's specifically the acidity of it that contributes to a lot of the benefits.

Maybe you'd still get some of them, since some of the benefit is coming from "The Mother" in Braggs? But I really don't know enough about that to know whether or not the mother in vinegar is neutralized by baking soda as well. I wonder if any studies have been done in that regard? Hmmm

At any rate, I never have added baking soda and never will because the acid is a big part of why I see the benefits that I do see and negating that would be pointless for me
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
So I used to drink acv in my water years ago but never thought to put stevia in it. So I just bought a bottle of Braggs and did 2 tbs in a large glass of water with ice. I added 3 drops of stevia and, to me, it tastes just like tangy apple juice! I think I might considering dropping the diet pop and replacing it with this! Question: are u supposed to refridgerate Braggs once opened or will that cause a negative affect on the mother (hybernation)?
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I'm in the group of people who thinks you're negating the positive effects of the ACV by neutralizing it, since it's specifically the acidity of it that contributes to a lot of the benefits.
That's certainly what I would think too. Thank you!
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
Acv-ers anyone noticed a jump start in weight loss???
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JQuintero
Stats: 268/206/?
WOE: LFL
Start Date: Every morning
My weight loss clinic had suggested ACV because I retain water like no other. To be honest I didn't see a difference when I was taking it. I was only doing a T a day, maybe I'll up it to 3T a day since I'll be home (harder to do at work).

As far as jump start in weight-loss...I noticed the 1st time I took it it really made my tummy rumble and got things moving. Hmmm I might need to pick some up and give ACV another go..for that benefit alone LOL
JQuintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Another reason I sometimes drink it down quick is because I've also started supplementing with diatomaceous earth recently, and I oftentimes stir it into my ACV tonics in the morning and night... and it doesn't really taste all that great, and it sort of dulls the flavor of the ACV and sweetener a bit Those ones I do drink down quicker, but the afternoon one (like the one I'm about to have) I do tend to sip a bit slower and enjoy
Ummm, you really need to explain this. I thought that diatomaceous earth killed bugs by cutting them up. Wouldn't it be rough on the insides? What does it do for you?

ETA: Of course I went and googled it. I am both intrigued and freaked out by the idea of it. I'm really trying to work on my blood pressure (which is actually still normal, but has gotten higher as I've aged) and my cholesterol (not too bad, but I refuse to take statins and bc of my diabetes docs want me to take meds if my LDL is >70). But I don't get how its sharp enough to kill any parasites, but doesn't cut your insides up. I avoid fiber bc I think it's not a good idea to scratch yourself up like that. So... hmmmm... I suppose someday I will try this just bc. lol But maybe I'll wait until I see where all of my other bazillion changes get me.

Is there a specific reason that you're doing it, or just for a general good time?

And to chime in on the baking soda thing... if they are both alkalinizing, then I guess it kind of makes sense to take them together, but I also don't understand how they don't cancel each other out. And I am very curious about how vinegar could be alkalinizing. I guess I believe it, but I don't get it.

I will say though that I think baking soda is a wonder substance. I use it for heart burn and UTI's and apparently it has reversed chronic kidney disease in rats and prolonged kidneys in people with CKD (by a whole different route than the rats). I have wondered before this question came up here, how I could reconcile my baking soda use with my new ACV use. But maybe they are not contrary?

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-26-2013 at 01:24 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
I wanted to know why ACV and baking soda seem to help me. Also lemons are very powerful and interestingly lemons are also mentioned here:

Benefits of Honey - Alkaline forming diet

Quote:
For instance, lemons and limes are very acidic, however the end-products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so lemons and limes are alkaline-forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid-forming. It is important to know that stomach acid or the pH of the stomach is an entirely different matter from the pH of the body's fluids and tissues. The body has an acid-alkaline (or acid-base) ratio called the pH which is a balance between positively charges ions (acid-forming) and negatively charged ions (alkaline-forming). When this balance is compromised many problems can occur. The body is forced to borrow minerals—including calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium from vital organs and bones to neutralize the acid and safely remove it from the body. And severe damage can be done to the body due to high acidity. Ideally, for most people, the ideal diet is 75 percent alkalizing and 25 percent acidifying foods by volume. Allergic reactions and other forms of stress also tend to produce excessive acids in the body.

The alkaline-forming ability of apple cider vinegar can correct excess acidity in our system and help prevent and fight infection. Honey added to the vinegar naturally makes the mixture more drinkable for people. And the good news is that unprocessed raw honey has been classfified as an alkaline-forming food.
Lcer's probably would be careful of too much honey.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 155 - CW: 148 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: September 29, 2014
I started incorporating the ACV in to my plan about a week ago, after remember that's what I did the very first time I tried SB years ago with success! I've been doing SB for over 3 weeks now to the T along with excercise and the scale did not budge one lb....until today. Down 3 lbs! Whether or not the ACV is helping to play a roll in this sudden weight loss or my body getting use to the plan, but I'm not stopping the ACV! lol. I do pee like a race horse, that's for sure. So it could possibly be water weight loss but a week ago I was taking water pills thinking that's why the scale wasn't moving and it did absolutely nothing. So who knows...

Also, my skin is smoother looking and less oily. Possibly benefiting it from the inside out.

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-26-2013 at 01:58 PM..
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
Acv-ers anyone noticed a jump start in weight loss???
I do think it helped me, but as I mentioned before I'm REALLY prone to holding onto excess water weight... so I'm not sure if the jump start was because I'm not really holding onto as much anymore, or if it was actual fat loss. But there's actually a thread here on the board about how ACV has helped lots of people lose weight

Here it is if you haven't seen it: Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder
Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Ummm, you really need to explain this. I thought that diatomaceous earth killed bugs by cutting them up. Wouldn't it be rough on the insides? What does it do for you?

ETA: Of course I went and googled it. I am both intrigued and freaked out by the idea of it. I'm really trying to work on my blood pressure (which is actually still normal, but has gotten higher as I've aged) and my cholesterol (not too bad, but I refuse to take statins and bc of my diabetes docs want me to take meds if my LDL is >70). But I don't get how its sharp enough to kill any parasites, but doesn't cut your insides up. I avoid fiber bc I think it's not a good idea to scratch yourself up like that. So... hmmmm... I suppose someday I will try this just bc. lol But maybe I'll wait until I see where all of my other bazillion changes get me.

Is there a specific reason that you're doing it, or just for a general good time?

And to chime in on the baking soda thing... if they are both alkalinizing, then I guess it kind of makes sense to take them together, but I also don't understand how they don't cancel each other out. And I am very curious about how vinegar could be alkalinizing. I guess I believe it, but I don't get it.

I will say though that I think baking soda is a wonder substance. I use it for heart burn and UTI's and apparently it has reversed chronic kidney disease in rats and prolonged kidneys in people with CKD (by a whole different route than the rats). I have wondered before this question came up here, how I could reconcile my baking soda use with my new ACV use. But maybe they are not contrary?
LOL that's pretty much exactly the response I expect to get from people when they figure out I'm essentially eating dirt

I think from what I understand, the reason the DE is able to kill bugs by cutting them up and it doesn't really harm us is because the bugs are so tiny (whereas we obviously are not) and because in those applications the product is being used dry... while in supplementation you ALWAYS mix it with liquid. There is a warning about inhaling the powder of it dry, which I hear can cause breathing difficulty akin to inhaling another fine powder like baby powder or things of that nature.

That being said... it's not rough on my system, no A lot of people on this board actually supplement with it as well (piratejenny used to be one of them, but I'm not sure if she still uses it?) and there's a LONG thread over on the JUDDD board that I wound up reading through before deciding to start.

Here's the thread if you're curious to read more about it: Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)

Basically, a lot of the beneficial effects are thought to be reaped from the silica that's in the DE. But there are others who believe that the DE itself holds different properties as well that help beyond just taking a silica supplement, due to its Earthly origin. I can certainly believe this, because I know different clays and things like that have a lot of positive benefits to them too when used on the body

As far as what it's doing for me (or what I HOPE it will do for me)... I'm hoping it'll improve my hair! Many people take it for the positive benefits to their hair, nails, and skin. My hair has been steadily falling out (thanks thyroid!) and I have that fuzzy halo of hair around the top of my head that never sticks down no matter what I do So far, I THINK my hair has at least been falling out less. No change in the hair halo, but from what I hear positive effects can often take up to a month or longer to show up. My skin DOES seem to be clearing up even more recently though which is a miracle and a half, because I used to have terrible (sometimes cystic) acne from my PCOS. Pretty much no breakouts to speak of, and the tiny little red bumps on my arms and legs (keratosis pilaris) are even beginning to go away already it seems... I'm hoping they'll be gone in a month or two entirely! My nails I'd never notice honestly because I'm always biting them off. I hate letting them grow

I think it may be helping my BP too, but I'm taking 3 different things to combat my high BP (mine was 140-something over almost 110 ). If you're interested in something natural for BP, try looking into taking Hawthorn It seems to be working fantastically after only a handful of days taking it, and I take it in the evening before bed because it has a relaxation effect as well. My BP is still all over the place, but using the DE, the Hawthorn, and cod liver oil for just 4 days had it already down to around 130/80... which is a HUGE difference in a short amount of time. Hawthorn in a lot of people works even BETTER than the meds doctors push on you, so maybe you can give it a shot! Pretty sure my month supply cost me under $10 too which is even better

I hear DE is supposed to be good for cholesterol too, which is good. My triglycerides were fairly high last time I went in, but I won't know what they are for a while now. I wish doctors weren't so uppity on cholesterol anyway with all the research that's been done to prove it's not the enemy we once thought it was. But you know doctors... you can't fight the little guys waving around the big business sticks unless the big business actually gets their act together. And good luck with that ever happening! I think the medical community thrives on misinformation sometimes, I swear. But the good thing is, if your doctor tries to put you on something for it and you haven't found anything natural to get your levels down... you can always refuse the statins entirely. I've seen lots of people here do it, because they're terrible for your body (especially women!). Doctors can't really MAKE you do anything. So that'd be your call entirely

Some people have said it helped boost their weight loss... I may or may not have seen that benefit. I did have a REALLY good week this past week up until a day or two ago, so maybe that was what did it?

Some people said it helps them sleep, but I'm not sure ANYTHING could help ME sleep

Some people said it helps them with their sugar cravings as well. I hardly have cravings at all anymore unless I'm starving, so I can't really say there either.

And weirdly enough, I've actually heard that it can help to HEAL hemorrhoids and the tissue that's damaged by them... can't be cutting us up if it actually helps to heal the lining of our colon if you ask me

Also, it's supposed to help cure Candida.

As far as negative side effects... other than the slight "okay, this makes my beverage taste less than awesome" effect, I really haven't had any. It seems to have made me more regular (but then again I upped my magnesium too recently so that could be it as well) but no parasites in me I guess, which is good No tummy aches, no constipation (although you have to keep your water intake up when you take it to avoid constipation, but this isn't an issue for me), nothing negative to report.

People's most common issues on the thread when I was going through it seemed to be stomach cramping (seemed like maybe those were the people who DID in fact have parasites?) and constipation.

Anyway, that's really it. And really long, sorry! But I'm definitely not doing it for a good time, believe me... it doesn't taste THAT good. Not at all
Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
I started incorporating the ACV in to my plan about a week ago, after remember that's what I did the very first time I tried SB years ago with success! I've been doing SB for over 3 weeks now to the T along with excercise and the scale did not budge one lb....until today. Down 3 lbs! Whether or not the ACV is helping to play a roll in this sudden weight loss or my body getting use to the plan, but I'm not stopping the ACV! lol. I do pee like a race horse, that's for sure. So it could possibly be water weight loss but a week ago I was taking water pills thinking that's why the scale wasn't moving and it did absolutely nothing. So who knows...

Also, my skin is smoother looking and less oily. Possibly benefiting it from the inside out.
That could definitely be the case in both circumstances I hear lots of people claim it helps aid their weight loss (and in my case I believe it did, at least from keeping that water weight off) and I do believe my skin has started to clear up too!

Along with drinking it 3x daily, I also mix a bit with water (1 part ACV to 3 parts water) to make a toner and I use it on my face all the time. I use it as a spot treatment for acne as well, and within 1-2 days it's dried up and pretty much gone already. I love the stuff!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Also, as a heads up for anyone else interested in trying ACV tonics or who are drinking them now and unaware of all the benefits... I was just doing some research last night, and it turns out that ACV also helps in aiding those of us with low stomach acid (which makes a whole lot of sense!) which is where many people's dairy intolerances come from! So if you're lactose intolerant or casein intolerant and use ACV regularly, you may see a decrease in your reactions to dairy. That certainly explains why I can stomach more cheese and sour cream now!
Melanie, I bought some Bragg's and will try it. However, I take Prilosec to offset my acid because of severe acid reflux. Will this screw it up? If I don't take the Prilisec by the fourth day I'm feeling like I am having a heart attack. Don't need that. Quandary.

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 04-26-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Melanie, I bought some Bragg's and will try it. However, I take Prilosec to offset my acid because of severe acid reflux. Will this screw it up? If I don't take the Prilisec by the fourth day I'm feeling like I am having a heart attack. Don't need that. Quandary.
I haven't heard anything about ACV having any interaction with medications at all. You may want to try taking it about two hours before or after taking your Prilosec, just to be safe though until you know how you react to it... ACV is not a drug, but it is considered a supplement to many when taken in a therapeutic dose. And I know that's the general rule of thumb if you're taking any supplements along with a prescription medication it may or may not affect. Take it two hours prior to, or two hours after to give yourself a window of time (or three hours, or four... whatever you want, just a minimum of two )

As a bonus, from the research I've done acid reflux is often caused by low stomach acid... not the other way around! Mine wasn't severe, but it was enough to be very uncomfortable at times and it's cleared up entirely since starting the ACV and letting the effects settle in. Acid reflux is just one of the potential ailments that can be cured or diminished by ACV usage so I hope you have the same great effects from it too!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do think it helped me, but as I mentioned before I'm REALLY prone to holding onto excess water weight... so I'm not sure if the jump start was because I'm not really holding onto as much anymore, or if it was actual fat loss. But there's actually a thread here on the board about how ACV has helped lots of people lose weight

Here it is if you haven't seen it: Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder
I read that thread a few days ago before finding this one while doing research on ACV. My interest started on a facebook post where it listed the benefits, and I started doing it because of these two thread combined.

I'm interested to see where this takes my journey because I've lost nearly 2lbs in 4 days. I don't know if it's water weight or what but I don't feel bloated and I do have more energy. Combined with a multivitamin, magnesium, and script vit D. I think it's helping...but whatever it's doing I like it! It tastes great and I'm nearly addicted to the tonic! YUMMO!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the great explanation, Melanie! You know I'll be drinking it any day now. I am going to try not to add anything new to the regimen before my next round of blood tests, though. I'll never be able to figure out what it was that fixed me if I keep adding things in. And hopefully I'll be all fixed.

What kind of cod liver oil are you taking? I'm taking Greener Pastures fermented cod liver oil and I have high hopes for it. I'm not even super sure what I expect it to do for me. And I'm sure I'll never know one way or the other. But I am spending a lot of money on it and it tastes really terrible, so it must be good.

I'm running out to go out for dinner (wish me luck!) but I'm gonna give that thread a look when I get back.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for the great explanation, Melanie! You know I'll be drinking it any day now. I am going to try not to add anything new to the regimen before my next round of blood tests, though. I'll never be able to figure out what it was that fixed me if I keep adding things in. And hopefully I'll be all fixed.

What kind of cod liver oil are you taking? I'm taking Greener Pastures fermented cod liver oil and I have high hopes for it. I'm not even super sure what I expect it to do for me. And I'm sure I'll never know one way or the other. But I am spending a lot of money on it and it tastes really terrible, so it must be good.

I'm running out to go out for dinner (wish me luck!) but I'm gonna give that thread a look when I get back.
Awww you're welcome! It's really not TOO bad of a taste either when I mix it into my tonics... not GOOD, mind you... but not terrible either. I figure it's worth it twice a day for me if it shows benefits

I'm using Carlson Lemon flavored, and it has NO fishy taste at all... I even swished it around in my mouth and smelled the bottle a while... no detectable fish whatsoever! Maybe if the taste of the other one is unpleasant to you, you can try Carlson next time? It was $20-something for the bottle for me, but I assume it'll last me the full three months before I have to throw it out so it seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Especially since it tastes so good! None of that burping up fish grossness like you get sometimes from other supplements, it's all lemon all the time

Enjoy your burger! I noticed you were probably ordering one on the Friday eating thread
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

My first go around on LC I did a tablespoon of CLO a day to be honest that was 2 years ago and I can't remember why I was doing that. I still have some and reading this post I remembered I seen it in my cabinet. I think it had something to do with digestion if I'm not mistaken but I'm sure there is an array of benefits.
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Awww you're welcome! It's really not TOO bad of a taste either when I mix it into my tonics... not GOOD, mind you... but not terrible either. I figure it's worth it twice a day for me if it shows benefits

I'm using Carlson Lemon flavored, and it has NO fishy taste at all... I even swished it around in my mouth and smelled the bottle a while... no detectable fish whatsoever! Maybe if the taste of the other one is unpleasant to you, you can try Carlson next time? It was $20-something for the bottle for me, but I assume it'll last me the full three months before I have to throw it out so it seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Especially since it tastes so good! None of that burping up fish grossness like you get sometimes from other supplements, it's all lemon all the time

Enjoy your burger! I noticed you were probably ordering one on the Friday eating thread
My burger was really awesome, actually! And I managed to not have a single tater tot. And I came home and had a little piece of yummy yummy dark chocolate.

Someone suggested Carlson fish oil to me in another thread and I think I may get it, but not until after my blood tests. It is expensive and if all my stats get magically better without spending that money, I'm gonna run with it.

My CLO is cinnamon flavored! lol Gross! And it is fishy and you do get fishy burps from in. Makes me feel like I'm taking care of myself, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
My first go around on LC I did a tablespoon of CLO a day to be honest that was 2 years ago and I can't remember why I was doing that. I still have some and reading this post I remembered I seen it in my cabinet. I think it had something to do with digestion if I'm not mistaken but I'm sure there is an array of benefits.
That sounds familiar to me, somehow, I think from my childhood. The fermented cod liver oil is supposed to be a great source of vitamin D, like it has all the stuff you need to absorb it best and all that. And it's got other good for you stuff...
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My burger was really awesome, actually! And I managed to not have a single tater tot. And I came home and had a little piece of yummy yummy dark chocolate.
Heck yeah! That's awesome... go you!! So glad your burger was great too. I love burgers (with blue cheese too!) so it's always a good day for me when I have one

Quote:
The fermented cod liver oil is supposed to be a great source of vitamin D, like it has all the stuff you need to absorb it best and all that. And it's got other good for you stuff...
Same with the Carlson's actually! And I'm taking the cod liver oil for lots of benefits really (I always knew I SHOULD be taking it) but the main things are that it's supposed to help lower BP (it's one of my three supplements for BP) and it also helps lower cholesterol as well... so I definitely think you're doing good for your heart by taking it
Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:

Jayne,question about the baking soda. Where did you hear about soda prolonging kidneys in people with CKD? My son in law has this and we are trying to research things to better his health. Any ideas? Thanks
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: satina
Gonna try this. I retain water like nobody's business. So if for nothing but the comfort factor, I'm going for it!

So mixed up a glass (16oz water, 1tsp ACV and 7 drops of stevia) and it is highly palatable.
satina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Had my first ACV in a while today. I mixed 1 tablespoon Bragg's ACV with about 8 oz. water and 8 drops of vanilla cream stevia drops. I drank it with a straw and it tasted very good. I think I'll try 2 tablespoons next time, and try it 2 times a day. I don't think I would be able to do 3 times a day as bringing it to work isn't practical for me - though maybe I could get a dedicated bottle for it and that could work.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
So this is good for a diuretic as well?
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
So this is good for a diuretic as well?
In my opinion, YES! It helps me a ton with excess water retention from different things... TOM, too much sodium, etc. That was one of the primary reasons I started taking it
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I drank vodka last night so I'm retaining today. I've had one tonic so far but i think ill go make another in that case.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I drank vodka last night so I'm retaining today. I've had one tonic so far but i think ill go make another in that case.
Yeah, I find that if I drink 3 daily it staves off my normal retention and sometimes I up it to 4 if I know something is going on that's causing me to retain... usually that's TOM, but sometimes if I eat a LOT of sodium it'll happen too. Weirdly enough alcohol used to dehydrate me, not make me retain.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
For a change of pace, do a search for "recipe raspberry vinegar." Good for drinking and/or salad dressing.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #89
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
I tried the ACV with the mio lemon flavor in it, and is was tasty like that. I've decided not to drink it though because I am not someone who can just gulp in down, it tends to swish around my mouth before I swallow, and can't afford the chance of the acids on my teeth.
But for those who can get it down with no problem, the mio is definitely the way to go.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #90
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslyFunny View Post
I do know this much -- don't do vinegar straight! It's VERY acidic, and could damage your throat. Even with the tonic, you should rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth afterwards, because prolonged use can damage your tooth enamel.

The baking soda thing is to offset the acidity of the vinegar for taste and the sake of your stomach. 1/2 tsp. in the water, add the vinegar, wait for the fizz to due down somewhat, drink.
unless you are amazingly sensitive ACV straight won't damage your throat! and as long as you rinse and don't brush your teeth right aftertaking it your enamel will be fine as well
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote