Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I can do it every now and then but not long term everyday.
I don't add sweeteners, but I could try adding the baking soda.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Also, as a heads up for anyone else interested in trying ACV tonics or who are drinking them now and unaware of all the benefits... I was just doing some research last night, and it turns out that ACV also helps in aiding those of us with low stomach acid (which makes a whole lot of sense!) which is where many people's dairy intolerances come from! So if you're lactose intolerant or casein intolerant and use ACV regularly, you may see a decrease in your reactions to dairy. That certainly explains why I can stomach more cheese and sour cream now!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capook
Stats: 325(highest)/275.4/140-150
WOE: HCG Rebel <3
Start Date: LC January 2003/LC Aug 2008 /HCG Sept.2010
Hmmm I'm gonna have to try this.
capook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
This is a great thread! Was just researching ACV and all of it's amazing benefits.. Will be picking some up next time I'm out! And I love the idea of adding a fizz with the baking soda. yum!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I am sold! I think I've been using ACV for a little over a week now (thanks, Melanie!) and it has made a substantial difference in my blood sugar! I have also had a whoosh of about four pounds during this time, but, ya know, I have also been eating like a bird.

I do also kinda enjoy the taste of it, and more over time. I fill a big cup w ice, pour one T over, about 10 or 12 ounces of water and then drink about 1/2 of it quickly. Then I give it a squirt of mio and fill it up w water and its pretty good. I don't drink it down real quick. Do you drink it quick bc of the teeth thing or something else?

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-24-2013 at 12:44 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
All I know is I can't wait to get a straw lol. The Limeade one I have from Braggs is 16fl oz and I've managed to plug my nose and down about half of it throughout the day.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
Got this tonic from a medical website and drink this daily or every other day. 12-16 oz's. filtered water, 2 tablespoons ACV, 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice, 1 packet Stevia or teaspoon of Stevia 1 tsp.Cinnamon(you need to shake this up really well because the Cinnamon doesn't break down so well, but shake it up from time to time). Rinse, rinse afterwards always. The benefits I have found drinking this concotion is controlled BS, great for my digestive tract, and great for my ladies body(PH balance, yeast etc....) You get used to the taste and I also drink from a straw.

Last edited by MagieDen; 04-24-2013 at 01:08 PM..
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I am sold! I think I've been using ACV for a little over a week now (thanks, Melanie!) and it has made a substantial difference in my blood sugar! I have also had a whoosh of about four pounds during this time, but, ya know, I have also been eating like a bird.

I do also kinda enjoy the taste of it, and more over time. I fill a big cup w ice, pour one T over, about 10 or 12 ounces of water and then drink about 1/2 of it quickly. Then I give it a squirt of mio and fill it up w water and its pretty good. I don't drink it down real quick. Do you drink it quick bc of the teeth thing or something else?
Wow, that's great! I'm so glad you were inspired to try it because of something I said It IS really great for balancing blood sugar levels I've noticed... I'm not diabetic, but I am insulin resistant and when I eat carbs or take too long in between meals anymore I don't notice my blood sugar going all over the place anymore at all. My fasting blood glucose (when I test it) is much better in the mornings now too versus before I started the tonics

I actually enjoy the taste of it too, especially with the vanilla creme stevia drops I picked up believe it or not... it's so good! I generally do drink it down really quickly because of the teeth thing, but I don't always do it that way. I do try to drink it with a straw at all times though to bypass most of that issue anyway If you're worried about your teeth and don't want to sip it down so quickly, maybe you can keep a glass of water beside you too while you drink it and sip on that in between when you want to take a break? That way the acid isn't sitting on your teeth so long and you can take your time enjoying it!

Another reason I sometimes drink it down quick is because I've also started supplementing with diatomaceous earth recently, and I oftentimes stir it into my ACV tonics in the morning and night... and it doesn't really taste all that great, and it sort of dulls the flavor of the ACV and sweetener a bit Those ones I do drink down quicker, but the afternoon one (like the one I'm about to have) I do tend to sip a bit slower and enjoy
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
All I know is I can't wait to get a straw lol. The Limeade one I have from Braggs is 16fl oz and I've managed to plug my nose and down about half of it throughout the day.
Yeah, a straw will do wonders for you I think I also saw those drinks at the health food store when I was there today, and I think they're probably a lot more potent than what I'm mixing up... 1T in a tall glass of water 3x a day is plenty, and the taste isn't so overwhelming. Maybe once you finish that bottle you can give mixing your own up a shot? The good thing about it is, whether you mix it in a short glass or a tall glass... it's still 1T of ACV, so you'll still reap the benefits. I'd definitely recommend mixing it to your own tastes, and if it takes a while to get used to the taste even still you can try starting with 2t like I did and work your way up to the tablespoon
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Yeah, a straw will do wonders for you I think I also saw those drinks at the health food store when I was there today, and I think they're probably a lot more potent than what I'm mixing up... 1T in a tall glass of water 3x a day is plenty, and the taste isn't so overwhelming. Maybe once you finish that bottle you can give mixing your own up a shot? The good thing about it is, whether you mix it in a short glass or a tall glass... it's still 1T of ACV, so you'll still reap the benefits. I'd definitely recommend mixing it to your own tastes, and if it takes a while to get used to the taste even still you can try starting with 2t like I did and work your way up to the tablespoon
Yeah I bought a huge bottle of Braggs to mix my own I just got the ready to go ones because I've been so tired and busy lately and I wanted to start it. I plugged my nose and finished the bottle and drank a glass of water. I'll be drinking from a straw from now on. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just like shiratake lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah I bought a huge bottle of Braggs to mix my own I just got the ready to go ones because I've been so tired and busy lately and I wanted to start it. I plugged my nose and finished the bottle and drank a glass of water. I'll be drinking from a straw from now on. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just like shiratake lol.
I must have a strong stomach or a taste for REALLY odd foods, because I loved both the ACV and the shirataki right off the bat I do hope the straw helps you though when you get one, and hopefully when you're able to mix your own up you'll enjoy that much better
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Well to be fair, I loved shirataki from the start as well, the smell, however, I had to get used to.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
i started this today, have done it in the past, but will try with the flavored stevia drops, i happened to have the lemon and the vanilla creme---
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well to be fair, I loved shirataki from the start as well, the smell, however, I had to get used to.
LOL yeah, the smell is kind of off-putting until you rinse them really well... every time I open a package it's just VERY in my face I do tend to rinse them in warm water though, then in cold, then warm again, then cold. So by the time I'm done that fishy odor is pretty much history. Then I dry fry them to make sure it doesn't come back I think it does improve the texture too though, so I'm happy with it!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
i started this today, have done it in the past, but will try with the flavored stevia drops, i happened to have the lemon and the vanilla creme---
Oh definitely try it with the vanilla if you enjoy cream sodas or root beer! I think it tastes like a flat version of a combination of the two for some odd reason... I'm really glad the lady at the health food store recommended it to me

The lemon is good too and makes it taste like a tangy lemonade!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I also started doing this this week because of this thread. LOL. I mix one TBSP with a glass of water, and about 8 of the Berry Flavored Stevia Drops. It actually tastes pretty good. I've only been doing it once a day, should I be drinking it more often than once a day?
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I also started doing this this week because of this thread. LOL. I mix one TBSP with a glass of water, and about 8 of the Berry Flavored Stevia Drops. It actually tastes pretty good. I've only been doing it once a day, should I be drinking it more often than once a day?
I drink it 3x a day, once some time after breakfast (not right after, but between breakfast and lunch anyway), one some time after lunch (again, in between), and once after dinner. I find that it helps me much more to drink them that way, especially since I'm prone to putting on water weight from excess salt in my foods and stuff

Have you been seeing any benefit yet/do you feel anything working? If so, and you'd rather not increase it, I say stick with what you enjoy doing. Myself, I notice the most benefits if I drink 3 a day when it's not TOM time, and 4 when it is... so that's what I normally recommend to people.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Thank you, that does help. I haven't really noticed any difference yet, except that I don't seem to feel the need to munch as much as before. I try drinking it more often through the day and see what that does. Thank you!!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Thank you, that does help. I haven't really noticed any difference yet, except that I don't seem to feel the need to munch as much as before. I try drinking it more often through the day and see what that does. Thank you!!
You're welcome! And you're right, it definitely does seem to have an effect on killing the in-between munchies... I used to feel like snacking pretty often, but it's a great appetite suppressant. It's helped me only eat at meal time, which is fantastic
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Ok! So I got the ACV yesterday, and picked up a bottle of the insanely expensive french vanilla stevia drops, as well as a fresh box of baking soda. I made my tonic this morning and it's really refreshing! I had my bulletproof coffee and then started on the tonic.. Is that a good order? Or what should I be doing?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethierose View Post
Ok! So I got the ACV yesterday, and picked up a bottle of the insanely expensive french vanilla stevia drops, as well as a fresh box of baking soda. I made my tonic this morning and it's really refreshing! I had my bulletproof coffee and then started on the tonic.. Is that a good order? Or what should I be doing?
Yep, that's perfectly fine! However you want to do it, feel free I generally have each one some time after a meal and before the next one... I really don't have a set time for it though. Generally it's not RIGHT after a meal for me, mostly because I'm usually full and the though of drinking more liquid right that second doesn't appeal at all But usually within an hour or two, I'm having my tonic. One in between breakfast and lunch, one in between lunch and dinner, and one in between dinner and bedtime snack!

Like I mentioned before, during TOM I do usually drink an extra one and that seems to help me out a LOT... and usually the extra one is just thrown in somewhere during the day, usually in the afternoon or evening when I'd probably be drinking plain water anyway. I just sub in one of those

The good thing about the stevia drops is they last a LONG time! I've still yet to even drain one of them... I think my lemon one is now about 1/4 of the way empty, and that's been from me using it 3 or 4x a day for over a month
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Alrighty. Day 2. Let me first say, I don't use Stevia lol. All yall do and you're like stevia this and that. I don't use it lol.

So, I opened my big bottle of Brags and mixed 1tbsp with some ice, water, and Great Value Apple Drink and I drank it with a straw. Really, I wouldn't have minded the taste this way, just the smell kind of gets to me. So I held my breath and drank it pretty quickly on my way to work. I can definitely tolerate it this way.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
The good thing about the stevia drops is they last a LONG time! I've still yet to even drain one of them... I think my lemon one is now about 1/4 of the way empty, and that's been from me using it 3 or 4x a day for over a month
This is great news! I will be adding more to my line-up, but the French Vanilla is awesome in my coffee AND in the tonic.. you were right, too! It makes it taste like a flat cream soda! YUM!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslyFunny View Post
The vinegar is, indeed, alkalinizing, and baking soda is an alkaline, as well. A fellow named Dr. Theodore Baroody wrote a book called "Alkalize or Die" [snip] It will taste like flat water and is not unpleasant. Although there is no scientific research concerning the effects of this mixture, anecdotal evidence indicates it may create an almost immediate change in the body's pH."
Change in the body's pH to what? Acid or alkaline?

Vinegar is a strong acid. Baking soda is a strong alkaline. So..if he says "alkalize or die", that is a vote against drinking acid. If you mix the two, it will taste like flat water because it IS flat water. you've created a neutral pH.

I don't get this. Drinking vinegar will acidify your body. It just doesn't seem good, to me.
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda99 View Post

Vinegar is a strong acid. Baking soda is a strong alkaline. So..if he says "alkalize or die", that is a vote against drinking acid. If you mix the two, it will taste like flat water because it IS flat water. you've created a neutral pH.

I don't get this. Drinking vinegar will acidify your body. It just doesn't seem good, to me.
I am still not sold on adding baking soda to the ACV for the reasons you stated, however it pretty well known that ACV is alkanizing in the body, even though it is an acidic food.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-25-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda99 View Post

Drinking vinegar does not acidify your body in that way whatsoever. Drinking the ACV correctly (i.e. NOT straight) actually helps to balance your body's natural stomach acid, and is able to bring it up to acceptable levels for those of us who suffer from low stomach acid as a result of some other condition.

If natural acids are a bad thing, how do you explain stomach acid? When it's low, we can develop a whole SLEW of problems... indigestion, acid reflux, heartburn, and dairy intolerance to name a few. You are also less able to break down and absorb the vitamins from your foods and supplements, which means less nutrients for your body to use and thrive on.

I used to suffer from low stomach acid due to my thyroid disorder, and it has pretty much entirely cleared up since starting the ACV. I recommend anyone who believes it's bad for the body to do some research and read about the whys and hows of the benefits your body can reap from using it as a supplement
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:

So, I opened my big bottle of Brags and mixed 1tbsp with some ice, water, and Great Value Apple Drink and I drank it with a straw. Really, I wouldn't have minded the taste this way, just the smell kind of gets to me. So I held my breath and drank it pretty quickly on my way to work. I can definitely tolerate it this way.
Good idea -- I was just coming in to recommend drinking it with something apple flavored. I like to mix it with green apple flavored sparkling water...
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
I started ACV because of this thread. Today marked day 3 and I really enjoy it. I ix 1 tbsp of acv with 8oz of water 3x a day. Tart at first but now i look forward to drinking it. It has helped my digestion and mood since starting.

Enjoy
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
The studies seem to be showing a benefit of the acid... so adding baking soda might be ruining the effect... but I cant say for sure.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dixiegal
WOE: LC JUDDD 1919/384
Start Date: 7/7/14 JUDDD
I a ice tea fan so I mix mine in with my tea. Gives it an apple tea flavor
dixiegal is offline   Reply With Quote