Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Tell me it's okay, friends!

I'm sitting in the ER with my three week old daughter, as she has a high fever and they're admitting us for tests (poor thing had a catheter, heel prick, IV, blood draw, and two lumbar punctures in the last two hours!).

We'll be in here for two or three days and I'm trying to stay on plan. But all I had to eat before we took her in this morning was a piece of ham, and all that was LC appropriate in the coffee cart was hardboiled eggs, sunflower seeds, and peanuts. I'm trying to manage stress without food and stay on plan, but between being ravenously hungry from nursing and essentially not eating all day, and being stuck unable to get to the cafeteria for a few more hours, I'm positive I've eaten way too many peanuts already.

I can't control anything happening to the baby right now, except to comfort her and let her sleep. Is it okay to just do the best I can with the hospital food and not care about it beyond that? I just can't muster up enough mental energy to do anything but loosey goosey low carb autopilot as long as we're stuck here

I think I need a hug and validation that its okay to not stress about diet when everything else is so stressful already. Any help, folks? Prayers that this is just a virus and nothing more serious for little Holly would also be appreciated!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 04-18-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Many good thoughts heading your way, as babies in the hospital make for stress and worry and lack of sleep. I worked in a hospital and the cafeteria always had a salad bar and burgers and breakfast was easy. Do your best, I'd say!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I went though a hospital stay with my older son when he was little. I just had my husband bring me McDonalds burgers and I ate those. I knew I was in a stressful situation, so my eating was more important than ever. I needed my emotions in control.
Samething when my dad was hospitalized. Then I had a bit more time at home, so I cooked and brought my meat with me.
Staying on plan during stress will really help you cope much better.
I will pray for you and your baby for a fast recovery.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Just do the best you can with the food! I am so sorry to learn about this. I'll keep you both in my prayers. Hope all is well shortly and you have your lovely baby girl home in no time.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies! That's what I'm trying to do - I can't do much else here but staying on plan seems possible once we're fully admitted. They called ahead for a bed for her from her pediatrician's office but the pediatric ward was full, so I've spent the last few hours in the ER just waiting to get settled. Once we are I think the cafeteria will be fine, but it's being stuck with the coffee cart that's killing me. The peanuts are carbier than I wanted, but still not off plan for me. I just ate them until I wasn't hungry anymore and called it good. Four hardboiled eggs also helped immensely.

Trying NOT to stress eat, here!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Gallery: pocahontas
Taryl, many, many . You are doing great! If anyone offers support, ask them to bring you food! In the meantime you just hang in there and do what you can to stay calm and strong for that beautiful baby girl. Please keep us posted!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
((((((((((Arctic Mama))))))))))).

Huge hugs to you, sweetie. A sick baby in the hospital is A LOT of stress. Please don't add to it by worrying about the peanuts. Choose what looks good to you, you need to eat to keep your strength up. Hopefully the cafeteria will have some things that work for LC---salad bar etc, but if not, so be it.

As soon as baby is well again, you'll go back home and take up right where you left off. If you want something proactive to do in a tough situation, I'd say promise yourself that you'll get back on plan when this is over. And then do what you need to do to make this all easier.

Prayers up your little darlin' will be back in the pink in no time at all.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Thank you ladies! That's what I'm trying to do - I can't do much else here but staying on plan seems possible once we're fully admitted. They called ahead for a bed for her from her pediatrician's office but the pediatric ward was full, so I've spent the last few hours in the ER just waiting to get settled. Once we are I think the cafeteria will be fine, but it's being stuck with the coffee cart that's killing me. The peanuts are carbier than I wanted, but still not off plan for me. I just ate them until I wasn't hungry anymore and called it good. Four hardboiled eggs also helped immensely.

Trying NOT to stress eat, here!
It sounds like you did exactly the right thing. Peanuts and hardboiled eggs are fine. They will give you energy.

Poor little baby. I'll send out good thoughts for her quick recovery. Take care...
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
We'll be thinking good thoughts for Baby Holly, and sending you strength.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter Taryl, my thoughts are with you both! Hopefully it'll just have been a nasty cold, and you'll both be back home and feeling much better soon

I definitely say going with what's available right now and focusing your attention on your daughter seems like a perfectly reasonable way of handling things. You know what's safe and what isn't, and even though you likely won't always wind up with well rounded meals (some peanuts here, a bunless burger from the cafe there) you'll still stay LC and you'll be there for your daughter without adding any additional stress onto yourself
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Sending hugs and prayers!!! Hang in there! Praying for a speedy recovery!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Poor baby!!SO sorry yall are having to go through this!!! I think you are doing great with nuts and eggs!! Those carts have very evil things on them like YUMMY candy bars so I think you did great!!KUTGW!!!! I will be praying for your baby too!! Oh and you have to eat to keep up your strength for taking care of the baby so please take care of yourself!!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I have had a baby in hospital so I feel your pain.Do the best you can,be there for Holly but don't forget yourself.If she dozes off see if a nurse or a relative could watch her for five minutes and find the canteen,grab something portable and dash back?
We did that a lot...

failing that txt around for a friend to bring up a burger you can strip or something.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
sending hugs and good thoughts to you and your sweet baby.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I calculated my damage for the day (it's 3:30 pm here) and so far while the calories are much higher than I'd like, the eggs, 1.5 cups of peanuts, diet dr pepper, and 3 oz smoked ham only brought me to 15 net carbs.

Is it sad that I find something as simple as logging my food oddly therapeutic? I've been doing this for so long now that it's like comforting autopilot.

Jeannie, it's funny you brought up the junk on the snack cart. This is probably just one more sign that I'm not going to have trouble LC-ing for life - I wasn't even tempted by the walls of junk or sugar, didn't even cross my mind to eat it. I just desperately hunted for a foodstuff that MY body could actually handle, amidst the higher carb fare. I still don't want sugar - I'm craving a steak and a wedge salad

Holly is napping on the exam table while we wait and is doing well. If we're here another hour without pediatrics admitting us I'll tag a nurse as suggested and swing down into the cafeteria. I just hate to have them babysit for something so insignificant. My husband might be by with the other kids in a few hours and I'm considering having him bring me a bunless Baconater and a side Caesar from Wendy's, too.

We're doing okay, I just hate waiting without a plan or any answers. Her urine and CBC were clear of infection thus far, so we'll be held up waiting for the cultures to grow bacteria and the lumbar puncture results are still pending, too. I'm prepared to spend a few days here, but I wish I could get settled more than the ER allows

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 04-18-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Sending prayers, hugs and warms thoughts your way from one mom to another! I know this is scary time. Hang in there and stay strong!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Praying for you both sweetie!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
So sorry to hear about your daughter! Sending you good thoughts and prayers. Just do your best on the food - you don't need anything else to worry about right now. Keep drinking fluids and eat what you can - if you can pump or feed her directly, breast milk will be the best thing for her to be eating especially in the hospital, and you need to take care of yourself to make it.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-18-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012

Take lots of deep breaths. I hope the baby is on her way to being healthy soon. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
You ARE doing okay!!! Hugs and prayers to Holly and her momma and you have been given much good advice and encouragement. Hang in there, you are doing great. God bless!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
It's terrible to see your baby poked and prodded and feeling bad. I hope they figure it out soon!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #22

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Sweetie!! I have been thinking about you So glad to hear you have a brand new baby girl. Congratulations!!!! Hope she is on her way to getting well soon I agree with the others--do the best you can. You just had your baby go easy on yourself for now.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
So sorry that you're going through this! Sending prayers your way, and it sounds like you're doing a great job of handling it. My oldest was in the hospital at 6 weeks with a high fever, for no apparent reason, and it finally turned out she had Rosiola. So it was scary, but nothing to worry about, and I'm sure this will be the same.

Like Pocohantas said, let your family and friends help with bringing you food while you're there. Everybody that loves you wants to help, so when they offer, let them. It makes them feel good too.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
to you both and I say just let your plan go by the wayside right now, you can always start back up when all is well again.

Getting that precious baby well and you staying strong and able to feed her well is the MOST important things right now, NOT LC!!

Life happens and LC is not life! PLEASE, don't add to your stress with LC!! If asked what is more important I KNOW what you will say!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #25

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
to you both and I say just let your plan go by the wayside right now, you can always start back up when all is well again.

Getting that precious baby well and you staying strong and able to feed her well is the MOST important things right now, NOT LC!!

Life happens and LC is not life! PLEASE, don't add to your stress with LC!! If asked what is more important I KNOW what you will say!
See, I think staying lc in hard times is even more important. Lc will keep her healthy, mentally and physically. If she gets sick, she cannot be there for her baby. Her husband can bring Wendy's burgers over without the bun.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
You know how friends always say "Well,.. if there is anything I can do to help, let me know"?

Well nows the time to let them help you! Ask them to bring you food! Obviously make it something easy to swing by and pick up and you can compensate them for it.

As a nursing mommy, you need the nutrition! Hang in there, you are doing great. My prayers are with your precious little one... hope she gets better soon.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/215/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Praying for you and your baby. My DD was in the hospital for four days last year and I know how stressful it is.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
See, I think staying lc in hard times is even more important. Lc will keep her healthy, mentally and physically. If she gets sick, she cannot be there for her baby. Her husband can bring Wendy's burgers over without the bun.
Funny you mention this, I was stuck in the room for dinner (we finally got a bed in pediatrics, yay!) and he brought me a bunless triple and a side Caesar.

They're pushing the menu and room deliveries hard, since I'm nursing and they can't control her diet (but they can control mine). Fortunately the menu has lots of workable low carb options, and I'm still going to see if I can steal away to the cafeteria instead of having it delivered. It looks like we'll be here until Saturday afternoon, at least, possibly longer if the extra panels indicate infections as opposed to just a virus.

Mistizoom - my nurse happens to be a vehement breastfeeder and she's brought me a pump, since Holly is nursing so badly. They've also set me up with a lactation consultant on staff as we've had nursing issues from the get-go (though Holly has still gained weight incredibly well and my supply is very good). Between the supportive staff and great menu choices I'm feeling much better about the diet component. The Dr. from our pediatric practice is also just wonderful and vehement that I stay here with Holly to comfort and nurse her, which is encouraging. It's all going as well as I could have hoped, short of not having to be here at all.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers, everyone! It's been nice to chat while I'm otherwise bored and stressed, all at once. I love my LC friends
Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
HUGS!!! And my best wishes to you and your family during this challenging time.

You are one of the smartest people I know! And you're a conscious, informed caretaker of your health. So, although your choices will be unfortunately limited at times, I have absolutely no doubt that you'll find a way to take good care of yourself, even though the way you're taking care of yourself may not exactly match your typical dietary macros and/or calorie range.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #30

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
I didn't think we should low carb while breast feeding? Isn't ketosis bad for the baby? I'd stop eating the peanuts, maybe she's allergic. Hope she's better soon, quit worrying about your diet and relax. That's best for all concerned.

Last edited by heidihoopi; 04-18-2013 at 08:43 PM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote