Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bosco0633
WOE: atkins induction
does anyone juice???

hello everyone, I have been an atkins user for the past few years on and off. I recently tried my hand at another induction but by the end of the week I just didnt feel right. So I stopped.

I decided to try a juice diet after watching a few films. I was a partial vegetarian for 19 years but have eaten meat for the past 3.

Well I just finished my 3rd day on the juice system and I am down 7 lbs. I feel amazing, and I dont know why I didnt do this sooner.

Just looking to see if anyone else does this system???

I juice 5 juices a day and thats it, water as well. My plan calls for 7 days, but I may go longer if I continue to feel good. I only have 15lbs left to lose, so lets see what happens.

Looking to see if there are other juicers out there to chat with.
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunCountry
Stats: 209/207/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Every morning
I juice every day. Mostly green juice and I eat 2 meals a day with it. Making the juice is a bit of a pain, but it makes me feel so much better.

I just got a Vitamix as well and now try to have about 1/3 of a drink be a smoothie to get some extra fiber.
Sun
SunCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Yep. I haven't experienced any blood sugar issues, but I do stick to mostly veggies for my juice. I'm down 13 lbs since Easter.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
I juiced a few years ago when doing a version of the hallelujah diet. Mainly juiced carrots and celery tho. My husband and i felt really good while on this diet but it was a lot of work and 80% of what we took in was raw. No processed food, no sugar, no dairy. We had a hard time doing it long term however. Are you doing low carb juicing?
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Do you have any special recipes for your vegetable juices?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I'm living on green smoothies at the moment. Feel better about the whole food being in the drink for my metabolism.
Organic baby kale, spinach, half an apple, half a lemon (rind and all), with hemp seeds today. Yesterday was kale, cuke, cantaloupe.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Bump...

I am looking into getting some juicing ideas.
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Dr. Oz's show today was on juicing.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
Joe Cross

May I suggest looking at Dr. Oz's page about his interview with Joe Cross? It was one day this week. You can download about 5 delicious juice recipes of his. Or you can go to his website. Not sure exactly what the name of it is. But you can google Joe Cross or Reboot and you'll find his site and then you can join (it's free) and download all kinds of juices and smoothies. But I am sure not many of them are low carb.
Enjoy!
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
I decided to play around with the idea of juicing a couple of days ago, but am not comfortable with such little protein. I figured out I'd only be getting around 20 grams a day, plus many of the juices call for fruit, and I limit that since I'm diabetic. I searched "diabetic juice recipes" and found about a dozen recipes for diabetics. My favourite so far is carrot-broccoli-celery-cucumber. I also do Joe Cross' "mean green" but with only one apple. I am eating one meal a day with about 5 oz meat portion, but am considering switching to a two protein shakes a day along with the veggie/fruit juices.

Although I guess purists wouldn't say I'm actually juicing as I use a Vita Mixer so am drinking the fiber. Which I actually feel is healthier, especially since I'm diabetic. And since I'm in this for the weight loss rather than doing a detox, I'm also continuing to drink decaf coffee with cream, but have cut the amount in half to 3 cups a day.

This is a 10 day experiment for me. My fasting blood sugar levels were 20 points lower this morning than usual, but the post prandials yesterday were a bit higher than usual, but fell to fasting levels in about three hours. Only time will tell if this will work for me.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Here's a few juice recipes. I split these into two or three servings. I use a Vita Mixer so deduct fiber for net carbs, but if you use a juicer, you aren't getting any fiber and the sugar will get into your bloodstream faster. I add 1 cup of water to each of these recipes since I use a Vita Mixer, and count two cups as one serving. These make two or more.

Mean Green (from Joe Cross site):
1 bunch kale (I use half Swiss chard since I grow it)
4 stalks celery
1 cucumber
2 granny smith apples (I use one)
1/2 lemon (I peel it)
1" piece ginger root
Nutrition (with only one apple): 257 cal, 62 carb, 15 fiber, 12 protein

Diabetic juice 1 (My favourite):
2-3 carrots
1 stalk celery
1 medium head broccoli
1 cucumber
Nutrition: 151 cal, 34 carb, 6 fiber, 8 protein

All Green Juice (my least favourite but lower carb):
1 head of romaine
1/2 bunch kale
2 handfuls spinach
2 handfuls parsley
2-3 celery stalks
1/2 lemon
1" ginger root
Nutrition; 132 cal, 32 carb, 12 fiber, 11 protein

Last edited by Elgar; 05-06-2013 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
hhhmmmm now im thinking of dusting the juicer off
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Toodles2
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to this site. I currently am not dieting but am looking for a good kick-off to low-carb dieting. Juicing sound like a great way to start. I have a couple of questions for those who know a thing or two about it:
1. Can frozen fruits and vegetables be used in place of some of the fresh vegetables, i.e. broccoli, berries, etc?
2. What about protein? I agree with Elgar...I too am uncomfortable with such little protein per day. Will adding protein powder have a negative effect on the drink?
I currently make a protein shake that includes a scoop of green powder and ground flax seed.
Thanks to all.
Toodles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I haven't juiced any frozen veggies, but I have berries. Let them thaw out first. My juicer is pretty good, but I run the berry mush through again to get all the juice.

I did straight juice for 10 days. According to my calculations i was getting about 30-40 grams of protein. After the 10 days, I started making a smoothie in the morning with vegetarian PP (egg and dairy intolerance here), frozen berries and coconut milk. At night I have dinner with chicken or fish.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
I currently am not dieting but am looking for a good kick-off to low-carb dieting
Hi Tootles Welcome to the site!!

If you want to do juicing or smoothies - either can fit in with a diet plan. I would look up the Reboot with Joe website (use Google search, we cant post links on here).

However, if you want to kick off a low carb diet - if you look at his recipes, they are all very high in carbs. Juicing basically extracts the carbs and water (away from the fiber) of fruits and veggies... so I would not recommend juicing as a way to kick start low carb. its just not going to fit! Induction (with carbs about 20 g/day) would be the way to kick start a low carb diet. Juicing and smoothies represent a very different diet strategy.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I bought a juicer on Sunday, but have to wait for it to get to the store for pick up...
My plan is to juice 1-2x per day and eat LC for the other meals.

I don't follow Atkins, I just avoid bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugary junk.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Down 2 more lbs. this morning. Blood sugars are all over the place, but generally are running lower than normal. I hope they will stabilize more in a few days.

Hi, Toodles and Robbie. Strawberry is right -- the juice drinks are not very low carb. Look at the ones I posted -- they were the lowest carb ones I could find that tasted decent. That is one reason I'm using a Vita Mixer and drinking the whole veggie/ fruit so the fiber will lessen the impact of the carbs. There is some debate about whether one really needs fiber or not, but since I don't have a juicer and don't want to strain the mixture, I figure the fiber won't hurt.

I'm doing this for a couple of reasons besides losing weight (which is primary). My eating was out of control but I was tired of meat and tired of chewing LC veggies. I was depending too much on dairy which tends to stall me. I had also become weak and sluggish. From what I've read about juicing and the movie I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" -- available on Hulu and Netflix -- convinced me that there are some very real benefits to juicing that helps on the cellular level.

I used frozen broccoli the other day and it worked fine in the Vita Mixer. I've also frozen some strawberries, tomatoes, and canteloupe for future use. If you are using a juicer, I'd definitely thaw them first. I imagine some nutrients are lost, but I live in a rural area and can't get to the grocery store more than once a week.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodles2 View Post
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to this site. I currently am not dieting but am looking for a good kick-off to low-carb dieting. Juicing sound like a great way to start. I have a couple of questions for those who know a thing or two about it:
1. Can frozen fruits and vegetables be used in place of some of the fresh vegetables, i.e. broccoli, berries, etc?
2. What about protein? I agree with Elgar...I too am uncomfortable with such little protein per day. Will adding protein powder have a negative effect on the drink?
I currently make a protein shake that includes a scoop of green powder and ground flax seed.
Thanks to all.
First of all, I have a Nutribullet, not a Vitamix. My Nutribullet seems to do a good job and it was less than $100 at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

Second of all, I don't consider juicing to be a substitute for eating. I know some do, but I don't. I try to drink one "Nutriblast" per day and then eat a low carb diet as normal.

Third, I use a frozen mixed berry blend that I get from Sam's. My Nutribullet can handle it, and I think the colder the drink, the better it tastes. I usually get a box of organic spinach and a box of baby kale from Kroger. That's the base of my drink, then I add a few berries and some flax and water and that's it.

Keep in mind that things like broccoli, carrots, celery, etc. will make it THICK. I do NOT like a thick drink. The colder and thinner it is, the faster I can get it down. I don't drink it because it tastes good. You could load it up with pineapple, cherries, mango's, peaches, etc. and probably make a fantastic drink, but then it wouldn't be low carb, so I don't do that. I am doing it more for the health benefits, cancer fighting, etc. than specifically for weight loss.

I am far from a juicing expert, but that's my experience. Hope that helps!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I'm down another pound. 4 lbs. in 4 days -- not bad for a post menopausal diabetic woman. It would be really lovely to drop 10 pounds during this experiment.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

WOW! Nice work! Has it been hard to only have juice for a meal or is it do-able?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I haven't found it difficult at all. If I start feeling hungry, I drink a few swallows of juice. I make up two batches each morning so therre is some variety. I'm also drinking one or two protein shakes a day with MCT oil, and I think the extra protein helps with the satiety level. Plus, I'm doing this fairly low carb. Yesterday, I "ate" 860 calories, 68 gr. protein, and 72 gr, carb, of which 19 were fiber. I have a feeling that if I drank fruit juices I'd take in more calories, but also would be at risk of cravings. Then again, folks do this long term, so maybe not.

I had a different juice mixture last night that was absolutely refreshing. I was given quite a bit of left-over tossed salad from a church luncheon, and threw it in the Vita Mixer with extra cucumber, celery and a tomato. Seasoned it with Janes Crazy Salt. Fabulous. I'll try to duplicate it again as it was really good.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Our juicer arrived today! We only had apples and pineapple here, so we juiced that! Yum! Too sweet for a meal or even everyday, but I think I am really going to get into this!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I wish I could use fruits other than adding a little in with the green juices, but it would send my blood sugar soaring.
I'm down another pound today, so 5 lbs. in 5 days. Blood sugars are stabilizing, and I've reduced the Lantus long-acting insulin down 5 units and omitted the short acting completely. This helps with the motivation a lot. I'm going to try the "Mean Green" as posted with two apples to see if I can handle the extra fruit/ carbs. I also have some peaches in the freezer from last year, so might try a concoction with peaches. I'd like an occasional sweeter juice.
Have fun with your juicer. Are you going to follow a particular plan? There are several listed on the Reboot site that look really good.

Last edited by Elgar; 05-11-2013 at 05:40 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I put stevia in my green juice to sweeten it up without the fruit juice.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Well, I am beyond disappointed this morning. I had lost 6 lbs. in 8 days of juicing. Last night I fell and ate salad and some turkey and rice casserole. The turkey was in large chunks and I pulled out about 3- 4 oz. and ate probably 1/3 C. of the rice/ veggie mixture. I'm up a whole 4-1/2 lbs. this morning! I was expecting a couple of pounds due to water retention. But 4-1/2? Give me a break. It will take me 2 - 3 days to lose this weight. Being old and diabetic is no fun in the weight loss dept.
So, getting back on this horse, I'm planning on green shakes only today since they appear to have a diuretic effect. PITS.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

I tried some ABC (apple/beet/carrot) juice this morning... YUCK! I don't think I like beets! It was so pretty though!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Well, surprise of surprises, I lost the 4-1/2 lb. gain this morning! I have never lost that amount in one day on any other diet. So my indiscretion only cost me two days, not the 4 or 5 I was anticipating. Plus blood sugar was 78 -- just perfect.
I haven't tried beets as they are so expensive -- 3 medium ones for $1.99. Don't think so.
I'm going to make V-9 today as I have some tomatoes to use up that are getting soft. Those and strawberries are my red sources. I also have some left-over salad from the dinner the other night so I will juice that with extra cukes and greens, plus a Tbs. of cider vinegar. That will do me today.
I'm seriously considering buying a juicer even though the VitaMixer is supposed to break down the cellular walls as well as one. It would be nice not to have to deal with all that pulp. It can get down right gritty.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
Hi Elgar - do you know that you can use a "nut milk bag" or a "paint strainer bag" to squeeze and strain out the pulp? It's a bit messy but many do this while still using their vitamix.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I'm down two pounds today! I am absolutely amazed as I've not done this well on any other diet period. And believe me, I've tried them all including hCG. I know there will be some rebound when I come off the juices only part, but if these losses continue, I can go down 5 lbs. below my goal to deal with that. I'm one happy camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
Hi Elgar - do you know that you can use a "nut milk bag" or a "paint strainer bag" to squeeze and strain out the pulp? It's a bit messy but many do this while still using their vitamix.
Good idea! I'm using some coarse cloth I happened to have, but it's not made into a bag. I'll look into some other possibilities--thank you. I strain/ squeeze half the mixture as I like some pulp as it is more filling. I ended up with some very sandy kale the other day without realising it and didn't wash it well enough. Talk about grit!

I hope everyone else is doing well on their juicing "experiment".
Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #30
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

You are getting some great results Elgar!

When you (or anyone) juiced the beets, did you juice the greens? I like the beet itself in juice, but the greens taste terrible to me. I like a beet-berry combo. You get the flavor of the berries and the color of the beets, which makes it look like it is going to taste REALLY good.