Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
First of all, I have a Nutribullet, not a Vitamix. My Nutribullet seems to do a good job and it was less than $100 at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

Second of all, I don't consider juicing to be a substitute for eating. I know some do, but I don't. I try to drink one "Nutriblast" per day and then eat a low carb diet as normal.

Third, I use a frozen mixed berry blend that I get from Sam's. My Nutribullet can handle it, and I think the colder the drink, the better it tastes. I usually get a box of organic spinach and a box of baby kale from Kroger. That's the base of my drink, then I add a few berries and some flax and water and that's it.

Keep in mind that things like broccoli, carrots, celery, etc. will make it THICK. I do NOT like a thick drink. The colder and thinner it is, the faster I can get it down. I don't drink it because it tastes good. You could load it up with pineapple, cherries, mango's, peaches, etc. and probably make a fantastic drink, but then it wouldn't be low carb, so I don't do that. I am doing it more for the health benefits, cancer fighting, etc. than specifically for weight loss.

I am far from a juicing expert, but that's my experience. Hope that helps!

I just bought a Nutri Bullet and wow...I could have written the above post.

This is the BEST $99. I have ever spent, and it makes my old juicing efforts seem like a total waste of time. I am also using it to make my mothers nutrition supplement shakes with whey powder, milk, bananas and berries and almonds. I can make the green smoothie for me, and the make the drink with the calories, protein and fiber my mother needs. win-win.

Each thing I make takes no more than five minutes.

PS...for those wondering about beets, you really don't need much beet for either juicing or smoothie-ing. I buy a couple of loose beets, wash them, peel them, cut them up and keep them in a plastic baggie. I take out a piece as I need it. One small piece is going to be loaded with bioflavenoids, betalains, and all the 'red' you need.

Last edited by August Moon; 07-27-2013 at 03:29 AM..
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #62
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/132/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Dukan now JUDDD
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Elgar, just another call out. Would love to hear how you got on.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #63
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Ooh! I used to juice a couple of years ago. I did it for about 10 days and lost 14 pounds. It works, but it was also the toughest thing I've ever done.

My thoughts, looking back:

1. Juice vegetables and add ginger or carrots to sweeten.
2. Fruit juice can make one more hungry. I tried to avoid fruit more often than not and get the same nutrients mostly in veggies.
3. There's good fiber in the pulp, so don't worry if some gets into the juice.
4. I'd go with at least one low-carb meal per day, for dinner, minimally. I felt kind of bad without any fat and protein and I wanted something to chew. This makes all kinds of things more wonderful.
5. It can be expensive, so I bought non-organic produce.
6. It helped reinvigorate my love of vegetables. Since the experiment, I've been a veggie fan again after decades of avoiding the green, leafy stuff.

I've lost 130 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #64
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Cleochatra, that is very interesting, thank you. I am on my 5th day today and am finding it very hard. I bought a macerator that is a lot slower to juice but is meant to be much better. I also strain the juice because I read that any pulp n the juice would interfere with weight loss. So your comment about the pulp is interesting considering your success. I will no longer strain the juice.

I am struggling to drink enough because it takes me ages to make a glass of about 10 oz. I do try to use mostly vegetables with half or a whole green apple and I think this is one reason it takes me so long to make a small amount of juice.

I have lost weight but I have been doing Dukan and this past weekend before starting the juice fast I REALLY blew it so put on a lot (went from 138 to 146 !) This morning I weighed in at 137 so have lost the gain but only 1 pound down before my two day break so will be interested to see what tomorrow brings. Because it is so time consuming and difficult if I don't see a good loss I think I will call it a day at the end of five days.

if I knew I could lose like you I would definitely carry on. Well done!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #65
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
WJS, that is interesting, and it definitely shows that we're all just different enough that things aren't always as easy as they should be.

If your machine allows some of the pulp through--even minimally, that's great. Even with my Juicemaster, I found that the "bulk" to the juice still had to be some of the fibrous goodness eking in, but I could be wrong.

I know you're also supposed to get plenty of liquids in addition to the juicing. Maybe things like organic beef or chicken broth in addition to juicing could be pretty phenomenal. Or an added smoothie during the day for some extra protein oomph if you want to stick to liquids at this juncture.

Judging from your 20+ pounds lost, I'd say you're doing great! Just keep doing what works for you, on't be afraid to change a couple of things one ting at a time and see if that works for you even better, and then keep and discard what works/doesn't.

At the end of the day, you have a remarkable experience that you enjoy, that makes you feel terrific, and that you look forward to continuing.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #66
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Wow, don't know how I missed this the first time but you have lost 116 pounds! That is amazing Cleochatra, well done!!!

I am not that successful. I lost on Dukan last year and got down to 132 but then went to JUDDD to try to lose a little more after a long stall on Dukan but ended up falling off the wagon over Christmas. I gained at a tremendous pace in a short time and still working on losing what I gained over the holidays!

I will determine what I do next after weighing in the morning but if I have a loss I will carry on and take your advice about adding some broth and perhaps protein as I continue. Thank you.