Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
Good morning. Down a half pound today. And my blood sugar was a bit low so I'll drop another 2 units off the Lantus insulin tonight. That will get me at half of what I was taking.

I haven't tried beets because they are so terribly expensive. I could have grown them, but, of course, didn't know I'd be doing this juicing fast. Strawberries are my current red item. When they are gone, I'll probably bite the bullet and buy some beets.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Beet Juice

I love beets but have never had them in any raw state. I used my Magic Bullet and juiced some yesterday. I don't mind the taste at all. I wanted to give beets a trial to help lower my BP. There was a lot of pulp, but I ate that I'm so LC that I was a bit worried about the carbs from the beets.... but in all honesty, I'm changing my intake to feel better, the weight loss is a bonus, so if I continue to feel better I can handle a slow down.
A bunch of beets here (4 of them) was 3.99. I hate taking any meds so I hope this really does bring my BP down. Any of you have success with this? TIA!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I'm down another half pound this morning. Today I have a planned break since this is our annual church picnic. I will take a couple of large lettuce leaves with me and have a bunless hamburger. It's strange, but I'm not really looking forward to the meal and you'd think I would be, but I'm never hungry these days and am enjoying that feeling.

Stynger -- do you have the regular Magic Bullet or the special juicing one? I didn't think the Magic Bullet was powerful enough to break down the cell walls of the produce. Just curious. At the price you paid for beets, I hope they were large ones!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've never thought of beets as expensive. Not where I live, at least not compared with other produce. And if you want the root, canned beets are very convenient.
As for fresh, from store or garden, the greens are wonderful (if not overgrown). the roots are apparently quite good for our livers. I don't eat them now as they are not induction approved, though.

I got stuck in infomercial hell the other nigth (tv turned on while I am sleeping and somehow turned itself to the infomercail channel. . . . how does that happen??), and they were advertising the nutribullet. Anyone try that? I am not sure I need another gadget, tho.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I've never thought of beets as expensive. Not where I live, at least not compared with other produce. And if you want the root, canned beets are very convenient.
As for fresh, from store or garden, the greens are wonderful (if not overgrown). the roots are apparently quite good for our livers. I don't eat them now as they are not induction approved, though.

I got stuck in infomercial hell the other nigth (tv turned on while I am sleeping and somehow turned itself to the infomercail channel. . . . how does that happen??), and they were advertising the nutribullet. Anyone try that? I am not sure I need another gadget, tho.
Beets really aren't all that expensive in our produce section. I got four beets in a bunch for 3.99. My Magic Bullet with the juicer attachment was a total no go, but my son's fiancé has the Nutri Bullet. She said it works well but she's never been big on veggies so it goes unused.
I've read that the nutrient benefit of the beet juice is from consuming them raw. If the canned variety packed the same punch I'd be good to go, as I love them. I haven't figured out how I'm going to try to juice them in the future. I about killed my Magic Bullet using that darned attachment...
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgar View Post
I'm down another half pound this morning. Today I have a planned break since this is our annual church picnic. I will take a couple of large lettuce leaves with me and have a bunless hamburger. It's strange, but I'm not really looking forward to the meal and you'd think I would be, but I'm never hungry these days and am enjoying that feeling.

Stynger -- do you have the regular Magic Bullet or the special juicing one? I didn't think the Magic Bullet was powerful enough to break down the cell walls of the produce. Just curious. At the price you paid for beets, I hope they were large ones!
Elgar, the bunch of beets I bought had one large and three relatively small ones...I miss the days of gardening. I always planted them back then.
I agree, my regular Bullet is not intended for juicing beets!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I'm down a half pound this morning in spite of a "break" meal of bunless hamburger w/ mayo and 6 large potato chips. I'm a happy camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyngerIsAScorpio View Post
Beets really aren't all that expensive in our produce section. I got four beets in a bunch for 3.99. My Magic Bullet with the juicer attachment was a total no go, but my son's fiancé has the Nutri Bullet. She said it works well but she's never been big on veggies so it goes unused. ...
I guess all things are relative. Yesterday I purchased 2 large bunches of kale for 99c each, 3 kinds of leaf lettuce for $1.49 each, 1 lb. carrots for 79c, huge cucumbers were 50c each, a nice sized head of broccoli was $1.49, and celery for $1.29. Spending $1.99 for three medium beets just seemed expensive. Maybe I'll change my mind just to try them. I did buy a sweet potato to try. I'm trying to add more colours.

According to the Reboot site, cooking destroys some of the nutrient value and all the enzymes. But I would think enough is left to make using canned beets worthwhile. Especially since they are added to other raw foods.

I didn't even try the juicer with the Magic Bullet. It only has 205 watts, whereas the Nutribullet has 600 watts. Have you considered asking if you can borrow the one from your brother's fiance just to try it? I've also heard really good things about the Hamilton Beach 67601 which is $54.00. I know of three people who juice heavily that have that model and like it.

My juices for the day will be Joe's Mean Green, Diabetic carrot-broccoli, and "tossed salad" (all the things that usually go into a salad juiced with a tad of seasoning salt and cider vinegar. It is one of my favourites.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post

Just to say I love my Nutri Bullet.... I had a magic bullet and was not that impressed with it.. sold it on ebay. But.. I love my Nutri Bullet.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Poison -- nice to know. I love the VitaMixer but it is so large. How many ounces does the large cup of the Nutribullet hold?

I'm down another pound this morning. Yesterday I added 1.5 oz of cheddar cheese and 4 oz of lean smoked pork chop instead of one of the protein shakes. I'm leaving on holiday in less than 3 weeks so thought it would be a good idea to add some solid food each day as long as I'm still losing.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm down a half pound this morning in spite of a "break" meal of bunless hamburger w/ mayo and 6 large potato chips. I'm a happy camper!

I guess all things are relative. Yesterday I purchased 2 large bunches of kale for 99c each, 3 kinds of leaf lettuce for $1.49 each, 1 lb. carrots for 79c, huge cucumbers were 50c each, a nice sized head of broccoli was $1.49, and celery for $1.29. Spending $1.99 for three medium beets just seemed expensive. Maybe I'll change my mind just to try them. I did buy a sweet potato to try. I'm trying to add more colours.

According to the Reboot site, cooking destroys some of the nutrient value and all the enzymes. But I would think enough is left to make using canned beets worthwhile. Especially since they are added to other raw foods.

I didn't even try the juicer with the Magic Bullet. It only has 205 watts, whereas the Nutribullet has 600 watts. Have you considered asking if you can borrow the one from your brother's fiance just to try it? I've also heard really good things about the Hamilton Beach 67601 which is $54.00. I know of three people who juice heavily that have that model and like it.

My juices for the day will be Joe's Mean Green, Diabetic carrot-broccoli, and "tossed salad" (all the things that usually go into a salad juiced with a tad of seasoning salt and cider vinegar. It is one of my favourites.
TY for the idea to borrow the NutriBullet! I'm going to call her today and ask.
It's weird, right now I only cook for or plan for meals for one, being me. When everyone was still living at home I cooked for 5. It's been hard but I'm finally getting the knack of not overbuying. When I calculate it out, it's not all that expensive for just me. And being on LC, most days my appetite doesn't warrant too much food. Other days, well.....if it's moving slow, I might want to eat it LOL
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Poison -- nice to know. I love the VitaMixer but it is so large. How many ounces does the large cup of the Nutribullet hold?

I'm down another pound this morning. Yesterday I added 1.5 oz of cheddar cheese and 4 oz of lean smoked pork chop instead of one of the protein shakes. I'm leaving on holiday in less than 3 weeks so thought it would be a good idea to add some solid food each day as long as I'm still losing.
Not sure.... I will have to check when I get home.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

No loss today, but with these steady losses, it's to be expected occasionally. I ate about 2 oz. of cheese yesterday -- will do the same today but if no loss tomorrow will cut it out.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Down a half pound. Since weight loss has diminished drastically, and I want to lose more this week, I'll cut out the cheese and stick to juices only until Sunday. Then I'll declare this phase finished and transition to one meal a day, working up to two before I leave on holiday.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Well, it looks like I'm the only one left on the thread. Did the others give up juicing?
Weighed the same today. Pits.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nosugar
Stats: 160/140/115
WOE: low carb non processed
Start Date: 10/27/07
Good luck with your juicing! I was a devoted juicer but have not done it for a few months. I juice greens and use lemon as my fruit. I started to measure my blood glucose and I just cant keep it below 100 if I drink green juice. It usually measures somewhere around 130 and then crashes. I lost lots of weight juicing but just not sure if its the right plan.
nosugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Down a half pound this morning.

NoSugar -- interesting about your bgs. Mine is never above 100, and fasting is usually high 70's/ low 80's and I'm using half the Lantus I was. I can't drink the fruit=based juices except greens with an apple. I tried a delicious combination of carrot, apple, sweet potato and ginger, but even a 1 cup serving was too carby, so have drank a half cup as "dessert". A pity as I really like it. As a matter of fact, I think that might be the culprit for the abysmal weight loss these past few days. Today I'm going back to green only to see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Down a pound this morning with bgs. of 76. I'm going three more days then will begin transitioning to eating again. Need to get my body ready for a holiday in Arkansas with a week of eating out.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Down another half pound this morning and that was with a chicken thigh yesterday (my neighbour was barbequing).
It's getting lonely here. The OP has never come back to post and he/she asked for support. Am I the only one here still juicing?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Another half pound loss today. Yesterday, besides the juices, I had a grilled pork chop and 1 cup coleslaw made with Waldens dressing and 1 Tbs. mayo. Obviously I've begun transitioning to solid food. Blood sugar was 76 this morning -- just perfect.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

No loss today. But at Bible study last night I ate pork ribs, salad, strawberries and a few pieces of pineapple. Delish! I'm not used to eating at night since my main meal is mid-day, so that's probably why no loss. BUT that is the way I plan to eat for the next few days, then transition to two meals a day so my body will be adjusted before I leave on holiday. I've lost 15 lbs. since May 1st. Almost as good as I did on hCG several years ago and with a lot less pain. I hated the hCG skimpy meals. At least with juicing I'm satisfied after each meal.

Last edited by Elgar; 05-29-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

OK - I give up. On this thread, not the weight loss,which I will continue doing until I'm at goal. I can't understand why someone would even bother starting a thread and ask for support if they weren't going to carry through. And obviously no one is interested in supporting me.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #52
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I don't know a thing about juicing, but I hope you continue to see good results.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Sorry Elgar, I was on vacation and haven't been checking in here! I didn't start the thread, but I definitely was interested/supportive in/of your recipes and weight loss.

Hope you come back...
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Hi Elgar,

I am glad to see your results while juicing, I was interested in juicing and I didn't know if I would juice or eat low carb but it looks like you are successful doing both of these. I want to start juicing to improve my health and lose weight as well. I also have some hair loss in the middle of my head and I read that juicing might help my hair grow back, it is already growing but I want to have hair growth in the middle of my head as well.
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
I use to then I just got tired of cleaning out my Jack Lalanne power juicer! Now i just juice fresh lemons occasionally, I really need to do it more often, maybe a cleanse on my next 3day weekend?!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 3xBlessed
Stats: 263.5/255/???
WOE: Still deciding
I just started my first day of juicing today and I'm enjoying my third juice of the day!

My morning juice was the original Mean Green from the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Kale, cucumber, lemon, ginger, green apple, celery.

My lunch juice was strawberries, cucumber, lemon.

My dinner juice is kale, lemon, green apple, carrot.

I'll be having one more later in the evening, looking at something with beet after reading all of the previous posts

I don't know how long I'm going to do this with juice-only, but I'm going to aim for 10 days and then go from there.
3xBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm glad to see a few folks have replied to this thread lately. I get around the cleanup by juicing two meals at a time, so just two juicing periods a day. Most recipes I've seen are for two servings anyway. Plus I use a Vita Mixer, which is easier cleanup, but since I hand squeeze about half the pulp out, I imagine it takes about the same amount of time: 15 - 20 minutes.

Blessed -- I started with the intention of going 10 days and ended up 15 days with juice and one protein shake a day, then transitioned to eating one a meal a day. I'm now up to two meals. I wouldn't have stopped except I'm leaving on holiday this Friday and won't be able to juice while gone. But I plan on getting back to it after I return. I envy you the fruit juices. As a diabetic I can't do them. My mainstays have been the Mean Green, Diabetic Carrot/Broccoli juice, and one I call "Tossed Salad".

I lost a total of 18 lbs. in May. Daily carb count ended up averaging 70 grams, higher than I normally do, but the results were great.

Last edited by Elgar; 06-05-2013 at 05:22 AM..
Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Amazing results! Good for you!
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunCountry
Stats: 209/207/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Every morning
I'm still juicing! I started last summer and only occasionally take a day off. I put a lot in my juice and typically only have one recipe I make. It takes me about 1-2 hours to make it, but I can make it for 3 days at a time. I have an auger juicer, so I believe the juices will last longer than other juicers. I always have lemon in them, so that acts as a preservative.

We are going on vacation soon and I decided to take juice along. It took me over 3 hours to make 5 jars of juice to freeze, as well as make my juice for a few days. I am planning to take some frozen pulp and pick up some local produce. I'll plan to make smoothies every day with my Vitamix. A lot of work, but I feel better on the juice.
SunCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #60
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Elgar how are you doing?

Just read the thread and now I am very interested in juicing. Have you been able to maintain your amazing losses. I too am post menopausal at 54 and find it difficult to lose to say the least. I am now considering buying a juicer!
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote