Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
jijane21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 260
Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
Onions onions onions!

I love them, I want to put them in everything! I hated them up until about Nov when I started back on lc, and now I just can't get enough of them.

Today I made an omelet with ham and onion, and the onion was sooo sweet tasting to me! DH is shocked and thinks I must have lost my mind! It's really bad, I have to be very careful not to overdo the onions, I could eat my daily carb allowance in onions easily.

Has this happened to others?
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
mimivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,164
Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I love onions. Try Linda Sue's sweet onion pie. To die for.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,670
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, that sugar in onions is very compelling when we low carb, isn't it? I normally try to stick to green onions.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,385
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I've always loved onions, but while I'm doing an extended induction, I try to treat them like a condiment, not a main part of a dish (same with peppers, for the same reason). I definitely eat them, but I make sure I don't overdo it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I've always loved onions, but while I'm doing an extended induction, I try to treat them like a condiment, not a main part of a dish (same with peppers, for the same reason). I definitely eat them, but I make sure I don't overdo it.
This. I like a couple of tablespoons chopped finely in my tuna or sauteed in butter or bacon fat and mixed into scrambled eggs. A little bit can really add a ton of flavor.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,385
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Same here. I love them raw or cooked, but just a bit in the tuna salad or omelet is enough, one medium onion in a big pan of cabbage or a crock pot with a big hunk of meat, it adds a ton of flavor for not too many carbs.

I get on food kicks, and lately, I've been eating cheeseburgers topped with a mix of onions, mushrooms, and pickled jalapeños, all grilled together. Great flavor, and I don't need a lot of the onions or the jalapeños to add a big punch.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 275
Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijane21 View Post
I love them, I want to put them in everything! I hated them up until about Nov when I started back on lc, and now I just can't get enough of them.

Today I made an omelet with ham and onion, and the onion was sooo sweet tasting to me! DH is shocked and thinks I must have lost my mind! It's really bad, I have to be very careful not to overdo the onions, I could eat my daily carb allowance in onions easily.

Has this happened to others?
It happened to me when I first started low carbing the first of this month. I never, ever used to put minced onion in tuna or chicken salad, but I do now and I think it's because with this temporary WOE, I really, really need some crunch in my foods. I always used to put chopped pecans in chicken salad lol.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Wow, Linda Sue's sweet onion pie looks amazing. Found the recipe and am going to make it this weekend. In searching for the onion pie recipe, I came across this one on the recipe threads---thought I'd share it again here. Looks so yummy.

Saturday Night Vidalia Onions
Show: Paula's Home Cooking

4 large Vidalia onions
4 beef bouillon cubes
4 tablespoons butter
Freshly ground black pepper

Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Trim and slice from the top of each onion, and peel the onion without cutting off the root end. Using a potato peeler, cut a small cone shaped section from the center of the onion. Cut the onion into quarters from the top down, stopping within a 1/2-inch of the root end. Place a bouillon cube in the center of each onion, slip slivers of butter between the sections, and sprinkle with pepper. Wrap each onion in heavy duty foil and place the onions directly onto the hot coals.

Cook the onions for 45 minutes turning every so often.

To serve, place each onion in individual bowl because the onions will produce a lot of broth, which tastes like French onion soup.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Oh and one more thing, finely diced onions are SO good in guacamole. I use one slice, 1 gram of carbs. Made myself some for lunch today w/lemon juice and pepper flakes, then used Bac'n puffs Pork rinds for dippers. So delish.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,467
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I looooooooove onions. I used to try to stick to green onions but the carb counts seem high on those as well, idk? Now I mostly use red onions, like a tsp of diced in tuna salad or whatever I'm eating. Red onions are very strong and give food a lot of flavor for not a lot of carbs.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,070
Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I have always loved onions. My mom used to add onions to almost everything. They always make me think of her. I don't use a lot because of the carb count but a little adds so much flavor.)
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I have always loved onions. My mom used to add onions to almost everything. They always make me think of her. I don't use a lot because of the carb count but a little adds so much flavor.)
I gotta say, I don't get the meme here that onions are high in carbs. The carb count of onions is relatively low, and is certainly going to be relatively low in most servings that include onions.

1/2 cup of raw onions = 5 net grams of carbs. And that's A LOT of onion---more than one would usually or often eat per serving. And even if you did eat a half cup of diced onions, say on your steak if you're mad for onions, you can certainly plan for that 5 carb indulgence in your day.

1 slice of raw onion, such as what you might put on a lettuce wrap burger
is 1.22 carbs.

1 slice of raw onion, such as what you might dice to flavor any serving is AGAIN, 1.22 carb.

I guess I just have to say that I don't think onions are something anyone has to worry about regarding carbs, unless they're eating them whole, like an apple.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,453
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I love onions!

I used to eat half to one per day but I'm working on moderation these days. lol... I have 1-2 slices with whatever I'm making for dinner, sometimes the same for lunch or breakfast but not usually.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,385
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I gotta say, I don't get the meme here that onions are high in carbs. The carb count of onions is relatively low, and is certainly going to be relatively low in most servings that include onions.

1/2 cup of raw onions = 5 net grams of carbs. And that's A LOT of onion---more than one would usually or often eat per serving. And even if you did eat a half cup of diced onions, say on your steak if you're mad for onions, you can certainly plan for that 5 carb indulgence in your day.

1 slice of raw onion, such as what you might put on a lettuce wrap burger
is 1.22 carbs.

1 slice of raw onion, such as what you might dice to flavor any serving is AGAIN, 1.22 carb.

I guess I just have to say that I don't think onions are something anyone has to worry about regarding carbs, unless they're eating them whole, like an apple.
First of all, I could easily eat half a cup of raw onions in a meal, or even more if that amount was cooked, and I could eat that much in every meal. Secondly, compared to the other veggies I eat, that is a lot of carbs. I'm doing an extended induction, and onions, like peppers and tomatoes, are on the "allowed, but limited" list for a reason. I don't avoid or demonize them, I eat them daily, but I'm aware of the amount I eat, much more so than something like spinach, for example.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-19-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,539
Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
Onions are delicious! Adding some sautéed onions with a steakumm and cheese -is one of my faves!
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I love onions!

I used to eat half to one per day but I'm working on moderation these days. lol... I have 1-2 slices with whatever I'm making for dinner, sometimes the same for lunch or breakfast but not usually.
And even if you MUST consume one whole onion a day, certainly more than most desire, that one medium sized onion would cost you about 8 grams of carbs.

Let's compare that to just ONE new potato---which are relatively small and which you'd gulp down in about 3 bites,---33 carbs. And one medium sized apple is about 12 grams, and usually eaten a lot more casually and often then a medium sized onion.

No, as per my post above yours, I'm just not buying into the idea that onions are something that needs to be even remotely considered high in carbs. I make this point because I feel perspective is necessary.

Other than meat and eggs, you're going to have to encounter small amts of carbs now and then to eat well and with variety. And I guess I just have a problem with making onions something that should be on the no no list, or on the fearful list in any way. There's enough bad carbs we're all giving up without worrying about this. Just one woman's opinion.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,385
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
When someone's daily consumption is under 20g, that 8g is worth thinking about.

I don't see anyone here saying that they shouldn't be eaten, or that they should be feared.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
When someone's daily consumption is under 20g, that 8g is worth thinking about.

I don't see anyone here saying that they shouldn't be eaten, or that they should be feared.
That would be 8 grams for a WHOLE ONION. OTOH, for a slice or two, which is what most would eat in any day, you're looking at about 2 grams.

And I see a lot of trepidation about onions on this site, including the post right before my post on this, saying she watched her onion intake due to the amt of carbs.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,070
Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
That would be 8 grams for a WHOLE ONION. OTOH, for a slice or two, which is what most would eat in any day, you're looking at about 2 grams.

And I see a lot of trepidation about onions on this site, including the post right before my post on this, saying she watched her onion intake due to the amt of carbs.
I don't know why you singled me out when other posters mentioned carbs. I also think you misread or misunderstood my post. I am one of those folks who could easily eat a whole onion a day. I add onion to almost everything. I love onion soup. I know to you 8 carbs is not a lot but to me it is, so instead of adding a whole onion to a recipe I add a fourth of a cup instead. I was talking about how much I love onions. I was not demonizing them in any way.

Last edited by Ocean; 04-19-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,385
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Watching intake doesn't mean trepidation, it means awareness.

Did you see my post right after your first one (ETA: post #14)? I could easily eat more than one onion daily, which would be a big chunk of my total carbs. That's why I am more careful with onions (and peppers and tomatoes) than I am with something like spinach. That doesn't mean I fear them. It means I'm aware that it's something I can easily overdo, so I moderate my intake. Just like some others might with cheese or dairy.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-19-2013 at 07:30 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,453
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Watching intake doesn't mean trepidation, it means awareness.

Did you see my post right after your first one (ETA: post #14)? I could easily eat more than one onion daily, which would be a big chunk of my total carbs. That's why I am more careful with onions (and peppers and tomatoes) than I am with something like spinach. That doesn't mean I fear them. It means I'm aware that it's something I can easily overdo, so I moderate my intake. Just like some others might with cheese or dairy.
I think the same way. I want to get most of my carbs from other vegetables. I also don't wait a lot of carbs in one meal so eating an entire onion - or even half would mean cutting down on other things that I consider more important nutritionally. Luckily, a little onion adds a lot of flavor.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I don't know why you singled me out when other posters mentioned carbs. I also think you misread or misunderstood my post. I am one of those folks who could easily eat a whole onion a day. I add onion to almost everything. I love onion soup. I know to you 8 carbs is not a lot but to me it is, so instead of adding a whole onion to a recipe I add a fourth of a cup instead.
So sorry if you heard it that way. I did not mean to single you out. I just meant to say that I don't think onions are high carb, or really even medium carb.

8 carbs a day to me is the same as it is to you. I watch and count them just like you. And we all choose our priorities. Some eat an apple without a second thought, and I would not say that's unhealthy or high carb---although it is higher carb than an onion---but certainly acceptable on a Low Carb diet, IF that apple is enough of a priority to you to give up other carbs for it.

Sometimes I simply feel some foods here are put on the "beware" list that don't need to be there, UNLESS, they're your passion and you're likely to eat a lot more of them than most do.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Watching intake doesn't mean trepidation, it means awareness.

Did you see my post right after your first one (ETA: post #14)? I could easily eat more than one onion daily, which would be a big chunk of my total carbs. That's why I am more careful with onions (and peppers and tomatoes) than I am with something like spinach. That doesn't mean I fear them. It means I'm aware that it's something I can easily overdo, so I moderate my intake. Just like some others might with cheese or dairy.
Yes, If you can easily eat MORE than a whole onion a day, and you're eating 20 grams or less of carbs a day, this is an issue. No argument there. And of course, I too must moderate and choose the carbs I love in my plan, weighing one against the other, according to my taste and desires. This goes for 99% of all carbs, with the exception of say, spinach. Which I wish I loved more than I do---although coincidently, I had my favorite spinach salad tonight for dinner.

But that still doesn't mean onions are high carb, or even close to it. Sometimes I think there's confusion over that, and I repeat, I hear a lot of trepidation about onions on this site. And I wonder how much of that is coming from those who would gladly eat more than a whole onion a day, as in my experience, most don't.

I mean this in the spirit of a good conversation, not to diss anyone's feelings or beliefs. As I said in my original post on this---just one woman's opinion.

I'm here and participating because I enjoy that conversation, and I don't think anyone should have to apologize for their opinion...and if anything I wrote made it sound that way, I'm here to say I didn't mean it as such.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,385
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Maybe it's a matter of terminology.

I don't think onions are high carb. I don't eat high carb foods. However, onions are higher carb than most of the foods I eat, and because I could easily eat a lot of them, I moderate their intake. That's all I was saying way back in the beginning of the thread.

BTW, one of my favorite ways to eat spinach--which is one of my favorite veggies--is to sauté it in coconut oil, with garlic, mushrooms, and a dash of soy sauce, with sesame oil added at the last minute. Cook the mushrooms down first, since the spinach only takes seconds. It's delicious, and even friends who think they don't like spinach love this.
__________________
<-- Buddy
Ntombi: 5'6½" 40 years old
Started Atkins 8-23-02 325+
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-19-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,938
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Maybe it's a matter of terminology.

I don't think onions are high carb. I don't eat high carb foods. However, onions are higher carb than most of the foods I eat, and because I could easily eat a lot of them, I moderate their intake. That's all I was saying way back in the beginning of the thread.

BTW, one of my favorite ways to eat spinach--which is one of my favorite veggies--is to sauté it in coconut oil, with garlic, mushrooms, and a dash of soy sauce, with sesame oil added at the last minute. Cook the mushrooms down first, since the spinach only takes seconds. It's delicious, and even friends who think they don't like spinach love this.
Thanks Ntombi, I think you put this very well, and I get it. And don't we all suffer in matters of terminology, particularly on the internet where we only have words to communicate with as opposed to in person communication, which includes body language, and the ability to observe and read reactions as we speak.

And your spinach recipe is SO serendipitous for me. Just today a pal was telling me I'd love spinach prepared much as you explained it here---although your suggestions beat hers---and she knows my taste buds.

I'm SO going to try this, and then I'll report back to you. Thanks.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.