Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/198/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Sugar withdrawls on induction

Just wanting to find out from the people who had sugar withdrawl symptoms after beginning induction...

How long after beginning induction did they begin?

Specifically, what were your sympoms?

I swear something crazy is going on...I've been thinking about M&M's all morning. I've had a mild headache and just broke out in a sweat. Uggh.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I had a rough induction. I had a lot of nausea and dizziness. I was dead tired too. Like could not get up to pee. I also got a few rashes.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I was very irritable and tired. I also felt sad and hopeless...like what's the point. I know I'm gonna eat sweets again, so why not just tear into that bag of cookies and be happy? That's not me...it was the sugar withdrawl and the lack of "feel good" brain chemicals. To paraphrase Rick James, sugar is a heck of a drug...

It started by the end of the first day for me. IT SUCKS. Do something else if you can. Take a walk and clear your head. Just get away from all food for a while.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmiller130
Stats: 211/193/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/01/2013
Awww....hang in there. It'll go away soon. To combat sweet cravings I usually have a cup of coffee. I do, however, drink it black. No sweetener. Iced Tea with splenda helps too. After a few days you should feel better!
cmiller130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HellInYourEyes
Stats: 165.6/165.6/100
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 10/28/2013
This post is just what I needed! I'm restarting again *sigh* after letting my eating habits get so so so disgusting. I'm not looking forward to the withdrawals, but when I start craving SWEET SWEET tea (not my normal thing) then I know I've gone over the deep end.

This is not going to be fun at all, but it will be worth it!
HellInYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
I have sugar craving ALWAYS... so I am not looking forward to them .... Before when I did Atkins , Sugar free jello with whipped topping was my go to snack.
I tried so many of the delicious LC desserts that were posted , but some/most of them kept the cravings active.

Since I am restarting .... I will keep it simple ... berries, nuts and the SF jello and whipped topping . A former member bobo36us... I think was the user, had a fantastic dessert , I used the recipe a lot when going on those summer outings and fix it for a friend who is diabetic on his birthday .

I use to use the bars in emergency situations. Some can't handle the sugar alcohols . Some are worse than others...

Good luck I am right along side you on this .

This year, I'm going to appreciate the little things that make my life good, and the not so good will be ignored. I feel really good about that.

Dear Lord, If you can't make me skinny... make my friends fatter !!
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Fortunately I've been spared sugar cravings, but I am wondering if you might want to increase your fat intake? I've been luxuriating in fat bombs, and I think not being hungry may help with the cravings for sugar (and in my case, alcohol too, although suprisingly my alcohol cravings have been rather mild). I am just over three weeks into my restart. Personally I am avoiding all artificial sweeteners, so maybe that is helping. Not sure about any of this, just sharing my personal experience.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoeubanks
Stats: 280/253/168
Bella, this is going to sound bizarre, but if it's beer you're craving, try one Tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Combine and wait until it mostly stops fizzing, then add 6-8oz water. Not that it's all that great, but it tastes like flat beer. I know, I know, flat beer is nasty, but it kills my craving.
cocoeubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Thanks for the suggestion. If nothing else I will get that vinegar in water that I vowed to drink every morning.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I had a couple of carb cheats recently but didn't get the sugar cravings & was able to get right back on (after kicking myself). If I'm really off LC, I'll get the cravings on the second &third days, then tapering off. i eat through them by just eating something Low Carb/High Fat. After 4-5 days the cravings are gone, at least for me.
Then i revert to Atkins 72, eat as much as I need to NOT be hungry... but only eat as much as you need to not be hungry before the next meal. Feeling hungry just before you eat is good for you!
This time around, I've been trying to keep my fat ratio up. We're so used to eating low fat... and foods are bias that way... you have to do it on purpose.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
I was SO mean. I also got really bad headaches and craved sweets big time. It was rough for me. But there is light at the end of the tunnel for sure!
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
very moody, husband thought I was turning into a monster....LOL

It goes away, hang in there.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Chicken broth may help with some of the symptoms. A pat of butter melted in is extra good!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mandyhopkins
I started last week and haven't "cheated" thus far so that's good for me. I have been however having MAJOR carb cravings, specifically sweets. Eating sweets was just such a habit that I still forget that I cannot have them anymore and reach for them. It is a ridiculous struggle. My husband had some M&Ms in the pantry and last night I literally made him eat them or hide them so I didn't give in.

What I have found that kills my sugar craving in the moment is grabbing a dill pickle slice and string cheese. I think I'm a boredom eater and at least the pickle and cheese is low carb and won't hurt me to snack on.
mandyhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
When I started Induction I had it rough like so many have mentioned above. Headache, listlessness, some nausea and above all HUGE cravings for things like potatoes and pasta with visions of HUGE bowls of hot apple pie and ice cream. After a week or so it just suddenly stopped for me. I woke up and felt pretty good. Since that time I have no had any cravings at all. I can hang out in candy aisles and watch people eat all manner of delicious things and I. just. don't. care. I truly think this is a combination of determination to rid myself of the excess weight but also because of the healthier eating with good fats. I also take Omega-3 and a One A Day women's multivitamin every day which I never took before. My guess is my body is slowly but surely adjusting and wanting to be cleaner.

Hang in there it WILL get better and 3 cheers for you to have started on a better eating plan!
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote