Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Cravings (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802347-cravings.html)

lose4life 04-17-2013 05:59 PM

Cravings

Hi,

This is personal but wanted to share. I used to have a drinking problem but I've noticed that since I've been doing low carb it has taken away my craving to want to drink. Has anyone else experienced this?

Deosil 04-17-2013 06:07 PM

I was never an everyday/multiple drinks drinker however I did like to have a vodka/gin and whatever a couple of times a week in the evenings. I have noticed since being LC, I really don't want those drinks as I used to do and when I do have them, they don't seem to taste the same. It may also be that subliminally I know alcohol may stall me and perhaps get me off track so the appeal of the drinks is diminished perhaps.

Either way, if the craving for it is less then that is good news and a great side benefit of your new WOE! Good luck on your journey! Just know that in the end you will be much better off with healthier habits!

Patience 04-17-2013 06:11 PM

Yes, I've noticed. I've had drinking issues before.
I conditioned my low carb restart several weeks ago with rule #1, being no drinking.
I have not really been tempted, beyond a few flitting thoughts.
Not so say I won't get cravings, I surely will, but so far it's been a (low carb) cake walk to avoid the booze. Ten years ago, it would have been a struggle because I was so convinced I needed alcohol in my life.

kiwistars 04-17-2013 06:16 PM

I was just in the 'a couple of glasses of wine after the kids were in bed' camp but I noticed that as I got fatter it became EVERY night and sometimes 3 glasses...

As I get fitter I have less and less of them by choice.I think insulin and depression were aggravating addictive tendencies.

raindroproses 04-17-2013 06:49 PM

Yeah, I was drinking whole bottles of wine before bed every night pretty much... and I went from that to having three low carb beers and one glass of wine stretched out over the ENTIRE three months or more I've been LC-ing. And they were all in social situations too, so no real "craving" for the alcohol here either. I just decided to indulge because I was at a bar, and with friends, so "hey, why not?" Because I don't need it, brain! That's why not! :laugh:

reddarin 04-17-2013 06:55 PM

They served LC beer at the bar you were at?

raindroproses 04-17-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16379720)
They served LC beer at the bar you were at?

Yep :) Some of the light beers are pretty low in carbs... I was able to order the Bud Select 55 at one of the bars, and Michelob Ultra I believe at the second one.

reddarin 04-17-2013 07:23 PM

Duh! lol I was thinking of grain free beer because I can't eat wheat.

/bonk reddarin

raindroproses 04-17-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16379773)
Duh! lol I was thinking of grain free beer because I can't eat wheat.

/bonk reddarin

Awww yeah, I don't know of any grain free ones unfortunately! I shouldn't eat wheat either, but I indulge in beer now and again anyway... not recently though because I found that it stalled me a bit anyway and I really don't want to have to burn through my alcohol before getting back to my fat burning :)