Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   The evenings are the worse (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/802341-evenings-worse.html)

IWILLDOIT1978 04-17-2013 02:42 PM

The evenings are the worse

It seems like late evening or late night are really hard for me!! I just want to sit and snack on everything in the house!! I am really fighting the urge right now!! I have been since about 2:45!! So I came here to post instead!! Think I will make some pork chops or steak for dinner tonight but hubby still doesn't get home for another hour or so!! :cry:

Aleina 04-17-2013 03:04 PM

So what are you doing now ? Keep writing ......

Aleina 04-17-2013 03:06 PM

What will you serve with the pork chops ? I am making some beef escalopes tonight and for myself they will get a spicy tomato sauce with peppers and a cheese topping . Here they call it neapolitan style but I adapted the recipe adding the peppers for some interest.

CindyCRNA 04-17-2013 03:10 PM

I have an afternoon snack about 3pm for the same reason. I wouldn't make it to dinner. I eat 4 meals a day, roughly at 8am, noon, 3pm and 6pm, all about the same size.

mom23kids 04-17-2013 03:11 PM

I used to be a big evening snacker and when I started losing weight, I knew this was a big problem for me. I decided to implement an eating window and slowly cut it back over several months. The process made me realize how much of it was a false sense of hunger, brought on by the habit of eating at night and I just needed to retrain myself to not do this. Now my eating window closes at 7pm and I do not eat anything past that point, no matter what (only exceptions are wedding receptions we're going to, where the meal won't be served until around 7pm). It took months to get to this point, but I've totally broke my night time eating habit and no longer have the urge to eat at night :)

raindroproses 04-17-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWILLDOIT1978 (Post 16379390)
It seems like late evening or late night are really hard for me!! I just want to sit and snack on everything in the house!! I am really fighting the urge right now!! I have been since about 2:45!! So I came here to post instead!! Think I will make some pork chops or steak for dinner tonight but hubby still doesn't get home for another hour or so!! :cry:

Awww, I know how that is :hugs: For me, it's when I play video games or watch television... I was so used to snacking on things during those activities all the time that I almost try and reach for anything that's nearby whenever I participate in them anymore. It's tough, but it does get better I think! :)

Knittering 04-17-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

For me, it's when I play video games or watch television.
Same here! So I'm deliberately playing a game that makes me use both hands and only watch TV while knitting. :)

Jaded62 04-17-2013 06:35 PM

Maybe this will help some. I have found out that EGGS help with snacking. When I am having a craving or need a snack I eat a hardboiled egg or two. I mix it with butter, mayo,or mayo and mustard,sour cream.It helps me so very much.IF I eat a breakfast of 2or 3 eggs it helps me feel full for hours and keeps me from wanting to snack. HTH.

jara 04-17-2013 07:18 PM

i hear you! evenings home alone are very hard for me. i try to avoid this by not being home alone and finding something, anything to do after work if my SO is going to be late. O_o another really hard time for me, i've discovered, are any half days at school, when the kids go home early and i have some time between their leaving and my meetings starting...i've learned that i simply CANNOT sit in my classroom alone at that time-i will raid the kids' treat bag! i force myself to go sit with another teacher, who can watch me! it's crazy how strong cravings and urges can be!

DiamondDeb 04-17-2013 07:51 PM

I used to have a hard time in the evenings, too.

I decided to fit a protein shake into my evening. I would make all sorts of great, thick-as-ice-cream ones in my blender and that would satisfy me. I'd add lots of ice and end up with two large glasses full.

kempmuhlbauer 04-17-2013 07:56 PM

Evenings are bad for me also. I now eat lots of pickles as snacks. I have also added a product called casein. It is a protein shake that totally knocks out the hunger for me. You are suppose to take it right before bed, but I use it about 1.5 hours before to turn off the snacking. Now my body has gotten use to knowing that the shake is the end of eating each night.

baileygirl3 04-18-2013 09:51 AM

Arghh...evenings are horrible. I started going for late walks around 7 pm. That seems to help me some. Also, my husband and I sit outside and talk now the weather is nicer after dinner and that seems to help a lot too. Anything I can do to stay away from the tv helps me avoid snacks!!!

N7femshep 04-18-2013 11:43 AM

It's about an hour or two after lunch for me. My husband is sitting there eating a big box of crackers or a bag of chips, and I go get some hard boiled eggs or cook a few strips of turkey bacon in the microwave.

Demonica 04-18-2013 12:23 PM

Evenings are the absolute worst for me! I usually drink either water or hot tea. That helps with the cravings. Plus I take melatonin and valarian to help me relax so I can go to sleep at a reasonable hour. (otherwise I'll stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning whether I want to or not:annoyed:) I have found that taking those supplements help with cravings or just munchies in general.

Beeb 04-18-2013 02:15 PM

Come see us!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-syndrome.html

avid 04-18-2013 03:01 PM

I used to get late night hunger attacks. One of the things I did that helped with it, was...and I am absolutely serious is .....eat a satisfying breakfast within an hour of getting up.
I know this sounds silly but I read about it somewhere and it really worked.
Here's hopin' you find something that works for you.

lisamt 04-18-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16381494)
I used to get late night hunger attacks. One of the things I did that helped with it, was...and I am absolutely serious is .....eat a satisfying breakfast within an hour of getting up.
I know this sounds silly but I read about it somewhere and it really worked.
Here's hopin' you find something that works for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16381436)

Eating breakfast helped me so much with stopping the constant snacking and binges at night, along with all the great support in Beeb's thread. For awhile I stopped eating each day around 5 pm, because I was afraid that if I had an evening meal I would not be able to stop. Now I can eat dinner at a later hour and not worry that it's going to trigger a binge.

kempmuhlbauer 04-19-2013 05:12 AM

It is just a matter of a little habit breaking. Not an easy task. I start with planing my daily intake with night snacks in mind and slowly eliminate them. I have been on plan now since January with a few cheats here and there. And the breakfast idea works. I use to do small breakfast, now I eat within 20 minutes of getting up and by night time I am just not hungry anymore.

HellInYourEyes 04-20-2013 07:54 AM

We renewed our Netflix membership, so hubby and I have been staying up SUPER late watching Supernatural (nerds..we know) and well...we both have fallen into the snacking while watching.

So my plan for this is to get a BIG glass of ice water and guzzle it. If that doesn't help then always have a hard boiled egg on hand. Maybe if I'm feeling snacky for salty chips, make some cheese crisps?

Anyway, long story short. This is a great post! Thanks!

Girlieschmoo 04-20-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer (Post 16382169)
It is just a matter of a little habit breaking. Not an easy task.

I agree. And night-time has been THE HARDEST for me as well.

I have been all over the place with trying to figure out what works for me to get the last 5 pounds off (long, tangential story) and finally settled on No S. There is a lot of discussion in the book on snacking being habit and how to re-habit to not snacking. Super helpful. Once I started seeing it as something I have trained my body to want (body thinks it is a need), I have been able to re-train my body to eat just 3 meals a day...no snacks.

It has not been easy, I won't deny it. But it's been a month and it has gotten markedly easier to stop snacking. I can see that eventually, I really won't have the snacking habit.

Sunny7 04-20-2013 10:14 AM

i make me a big cup of chai tea with HWC, i do this in the late afternoon also, or the boiled eggs or a few pork skins with a smear of cream cheese----tea with cream is filling--

good luck to you

Patience 04-20-2013 04:30 PM

This might not work for night people, but when I get up very early (and I generally like doing this) a little walk after dinner leaves me tired enough that I go to sleep early. But I am struggling a bit in the evenings now (not taking my own advice!).

tinamanni 04-21-2013 04:12 AM

I am a snacker too - more so after dinner. If I have extra carbs I will sometimes eat pickles or olives

Beeb 04-21-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer (Post 16382169)
It is just a matter of a little habit breaking. Not an easy task. I start with planing my daily intake with night snacks in mind and slowly eliminate them. I have been on plan now since January with a few cheats here and there. And the breakfast idea works. I use to do small breakfast, now I eat within 20 minutes of getting up and by night time I am just not hungry anymore.

For some of us this is just not the case and an little thing like habit breaking. I was told by my MD that I have Night Eating Syndrome and it's a legitimate ED that needs to be worked on, over and over, one day at a time.

I wish, for me, it was just a little habit to break. :cry:

nolcjunk 04-21-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16379442)
I used to be a big evening snacker and when I started losing weight, I knew this was a big problem for me. I decided to implement an eating window and slowly cut it back over several months. The process made me realize how much of it was a false sense of hunger, brought on by the habit of eating at night and I just needed to retrain myself to not do this. Now my eating window closes at 7pm and I do not eat anything past that point, no matter what (only exceptions are wedding receptions we're going to, where the meal won't be served until around 7pm). It took months to get to this point, but I've totally broke my night time eating habit and no longer have the urge to eat at night :)

I agree and I found the same to be true for me. When I was losing weight for some reason I thought I had to eat in the evenings, esp when watching tv. And, then over time I realized how mindless it was and decided to stop eating after I had my 2nd meal. I started by drinking cup after cup of herbal tea just so I could have something. It took a lot of work to retrain my brain to not expect those late night snacks and it took a lot of time before I stopped it completely and did not even think about eating late at night.

bad habits are hard to break and good ones are hard to start and establish, but you just have to keep working at it.

Sunny7 04-21-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16385706)
I agree and I found the same to be true for me. When I was losing weight for some reason I thought I had to eat in the evenings, esp when watching tv. And, then over time I realized how mindless it was and decided to stop eating after I had my 2nd meal. I started by drinking cup after cup of herbal tea just so I could have something. It took a lot of work to retrain my brain to not expect those late night snacks and it took a lot of time before I stopped it completely and did not even think about eating late at night.

bad habits are hard to break and good ones are hard to start and establish, but you just have to keep working at it.

very well said, i used to eat at night years ago just because of habit-----heck we would have a pizza to snack on before bed sometimes-- as we ate a early supper, have been LC for over 10 years and i never have the urge to eat at night anymore, mine is more afternoons---- another habit i broke was eating out all the time, especially stopping for fast food, do not miss it a bit---habits can be broken, but takes lots of time----i do think a good cup of tea helps a lot

Dottie 04-21-2013 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellInYourEyes (Post 16384253)
We renewed our Netflix membership, so hubby and I have been staying up SUPER late watching Supernatural (nerds..we know)

You say that like it's a bad thing ;)
Better eye candy than real candy :p